Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

What is being worked on for 0.26?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

nospam312 at gmail

What is being worked on for 0.26?

Does anyone know what is being worked on / goals for the 0.26 release
major feature wise?

I enjoyed reading the 0.25 equivalent of the this 0.26 page
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.26

Some features I would love to see but suspect I am hoping too much:

1. Multiple user support - even if this is gradually phased in as I
suspect it is too big of a job to be done all at once.

a. perhaps a user selection prompt screen when myth first starts (or
perhaps base it on the hostname)
b. allow recording rules to be assigned to multiple users
c. when a user deletes a recording it is removed from their list but
not physically deleted if another user has it in their list
d. everything else :)

2. Combining of Recorded Programmes and Video Programmes

a. i do not see why recorded programmes and video programmes are
listed separately they have the same functionality and should be
presented in the same list and be stored in the same database tables,
this would surely make things simpler and remove duplicate
code/functionality

I suspect if Tags are added this may be a big step to both the above features.

For example the recording rules could be tagged with "user1", "user2"
and the recorded and video programmes could be tagged with "tv" and
"video". The Watch Recordings screen could then have the ability to
show various tags.

I guess with tags it could be made very flexible you could have a list
of tags assigned as "Recording Groups" - "recordinggroup1",
"recordinggroup2" and the same interface that allowed setting of what
user, could also assign recording group, storage group, tv/video and
everything.

This would make setting up recording rules much simpler you would be
able to replace several options with just a screen with the
appropriate tags and you can just tick the appropriate checkboxes
associated with tags.

Thanks

memmott at gmail

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM, nospam312 <nospam312 [at] gmail> wrote:

> Does anyone know what is being worked on / goals for the 0.26 release
> major feature wise?
>
> I enjoyed reading the 0.25 equivalent of the this 0.26 page
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.26
>
> Some features I would love to see but suspect I am hoping too much:
>
> 1. Multiple user support - even if this is gradually phased in as I
> suspect it is too big of a job to be done all at once.
>
> a. perhaps a user selection prompt screen when myth first starts (or
> perhaps base it on the hostname)
> b. allow recording rules to be assigned to multiple users
> c. when a user deletes a recording it is removed from their list but
> not physically deleted if another user has it in their list
> d. everything else :)
>
> 2. Combining of Recorded Programmes and Video Programmes
>
> a. i do not see why recorded programmes and video programmes are
> listed separately they have the same functionality and should be
> presented in the same list and be stored in the same database tables,
> this would surely make things simpler and remove duplicate
> code/functionality
>
> I suspect if Tags are added this may be a big step to both the above
> features.
>
> For example the recording rules could be tagged with "user1", "user2"
> and the recorded and video programmes could be tagged with "tv" and
> "video". The Watch Recordings screen could then have the ability to
> show various tags.
>
> I guess with tags it could be made very flexible you could have a list
> of tags assigned as "Recording Groups" - "recordinggroup1",
> "recordinggroup2" and the same interface that allowed setting of what
> user, could also assign recording group, storage group, tv/video and
> everything.
>
> This would make setting up recording rules much simpler you would be
> able to replace several options with just a screen with the
> appropriate tags and you can just tick the appropriate checkboxes
> associated with tags.
>
> Thanks

I'm thinking this would be a good place to start:
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/roadmap

raymond at wagnerrp

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On 5/28/2012 14:24, nospam312 wrote:
> 2. Combining of Recorded Programmes and Video Programmes
>
> a. i do not see why recorded programmes and video programmes are
> listed separately they have the same functionality and should be
> presented in the same list and be stored in the same database tables,
> this would surely make things simpler and remove duplicate
> code/functionality

There is a partial merger of the database tables for the two types of
video, but they really exist with very much different purposes and
functionality that cannot be completely joined. The closest that is
likely to happen is for the Video Library to incorporate recorded
content in its metadata-generated alternate views, or for the scheduler
to incorporate Video Library content when performing duplicate matching.

digidmyth at gmail

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

I for one do not want to see Videos and recorded content merged. At our
house the are two very distinct things. For one recorded programs are, to
be deleted when watched, videos are not. Recorded programs expire, videos
do not. The kids have access to videos based on rating. They do not have
access to recorded programs. To us they are and should remain two different
sections.

Dale

lindsay.mathieson at gmail

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On Tue, 29 May 2012 06:15:30 AM digid myth wrote:
> I for one do not want to see Videos and recorded content merged. At our
> house the are two very distinct things. For one recorded programs are, to
> be deleted when watched, videos are not. Recorded programs expire, videos
> do not. The kids have access to videos based on rating. They do not have
> access to recorded programs. To us they are and should remain two different
> sections.

Agree 110%

--
Lindsay
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

nasa01 at comcast

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

While I can see Dale's opinion,

I for one, would love to see the two merged... It just makes
to much sense. I have TV shows that have episodes that are
recorded and saved (for example having season 1 DVD and Season
2 recorded). Having to switch between a recorded view vs a
video view to see the same TV show isn't the best solution -- just
my two cents.

Nasa

> I for one do not want to see Videos and recorded content merged. At
> our house the are two very distinct things. For one recorded programs
> are, to be deleted when watched, videos are not. Recorded programs
> expire, videos do not. The kids have access to videos based on rating.
> They do not have access to recorded programs. To us they are and
> should remain two different sections.
>

> Dale

tom at redpepperracing

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Lindsay Mathieson
<lindsay.mathieson [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2012 06:15:30 AM digid myth wrote:
>> I for one do not want to see Videos and recorded content merged. At our
>> house the are two very distinct things. For one recorded programs are, to
>> be deleted when watched, videos are not. Recorded programs expire, videos
>> do not. The kids have access to videos based on rating. They do not have
>> access to recorded programs. To us they are and should remain two different
>> sections.
>
> Agree 110%

And I disagree 110%. Media is media, regardless of the source, for us
and our use case, they are and should remain the same.

So, as we can see, everyone has a different opinion. It's up to the
generous developers to try and make it work for them, and if it works
for us as well, so much the better.

Tom

lindsay.mathieson at gmail

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:26:19 AM Tom Lichti wrote:
> And I disagree 110%. Media is media, regardless of the source,

So you want your music mixed in with your videos? its all media after all

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Lindsay Mathieson
<lindsay.mathieson [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:26:19 AM Tom Lichti wrote:
>> And I disagree 110%. Media is media, regardless of the source,
>
> So you want your music mixed in with your videos? its all media after all

Sure, why not? :)

I will rephrase my statement for clarity: "Video is video, regardless
of the source"

Tom

raymond at wagnerrp

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On 5/29/2012 09:34, Tom Lichti wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Lindsay Mathieson
> <lindsay.mathieson [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:26:19 AM Tom Lichti wrote:
>>> And I disagree 110%. Media is media, regardless of the source,
>>
>> So you want your music mixed in with your videos? its all media after all
>
> Sure, why not? :)
>
> I will rephrase my statement for clarity: "Video is video, regardless
> of the source"

You want video recordings from your camera mixed in recordings from your
tuners?

lindsay.mathieson at gmail

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:34:31 AM Tom Lichti wrote:
> I will rephrase my statement for clarity: "Video is video, regardless
> of the source"

Nope, as the earlier poster said - my TV recordings are ephemeral, filled with
adverts which can't be auto detected (Australia) and massive amounts of
pre/post padding (again Australia). I watch them once and delete, if I delete
at all. There are thousands of them which will get aut deleted if I don't get
round to watching them.

OTOH, my videos are hand picked high quality, either ripped from my DVD's or
brought and kept because I love them and watched over and over - not once offs
(or zero offs) at all. Completely different from the mostly pop (but fun)
dreck on TV. In no way do I want them merged together.

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Lindsay Mathieson
<lindsay.mathieson [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:34:31 AM Tom Lichti wrote:
>> I will rephrase my statement for clarity: "Video is video, regardless
>> of the source"
>
> Nope, as the earlier poster said - my TV recordings are ephemeral, filled with
> adverts which can't be †auto detected (Australia) and massive amounts of
> pre/post padding (again Australia). I watch them once and delete, if I delete
> at all. There are thousands of them which will get aut deleted if I don't get
> round to watching them.
>
> OTOH, my videos are hand picked high quality, either ripped from my DVD's or
> brought and kept because I love them and watched over and over - not once offs
> (or zero offs) at all. Completely different from the mostly pop (but fun)
> dreck on TV. In no way do I want them merged together.

And again I will say, *I* do want them merged. I don't care about your
use case, and you don't care about mine, I'm not sure what we are
arguing about. Unless I rewrite the recordings portion, I won't get
what I want, and you already have what you want.

Having said that, I do have some hacks that do basically what I want,
but if the devs made it work the way I want, in a supported fashion,
then yay! Even better if it can work the way we both want it to, but
I'm not holding my breath.

Whatever happens, my vote is for merged video, but I'll take what I can get.

Tom

lindsay.mathieson at gmail

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:52:15 AM Tom Lichti wrote:
> Whatever happens, my vote is for merged video, but I'll take what I can get.

Fair enough - same here
--
Lindsay
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

linux at thehobsons

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

Lindsay Mathieson wrote:

>So you want your music mixed in with your videos? its all media after all

Well actually there is an argument for that. In my collection there
are a number of examples where there is an [ artist | group |
whatever ] where I have both video (DVD) and music (CD). Also, in
amongst my recorded "TV" is radio (ie audio "plus a bit" from DVB).

So if using the TV, if I fancied a bit of (say) organ music, then I
have candidates for that in video (from DVD), audio (from CD), and
"audio plus a bit" (from Radio on DVD (Freeview)).

Now, if using a non-video device then you'd need to filter out the
video/TV - or you might not want to, as you may want to play a music
DVD or TV recording and only have the audio.
The more you look at it, the more options !

--
Simon Hobson

jedi at mishnet

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 09:26:19AM -0400, Tom Lichti wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Lindsay Mathieson
> <lindsay.mathieson [at] gmail> wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 May 2012 06:15:30 AM digid myth wrote:
> >> I for one do not want to see Videos and recorded content merged. At our
> >> house the are two very distinct things. For one recorded programs are, to
> >> be deleted when watched, videos are not. Recorded programs expire, videos
> >> do not. The kids have access to videos based on rating. They do not have
> >> access to recorded programs. To us they are and should remain two different
> >> sections.
> >
> > Agree 110%
>
> And I disagree 110%. Media is media, regardless of the source, for us
> and our use case, they are and should remain the same.
>
> So, as we can see, everyone has a different opinion. It's up to the
> generous developers to try and make it work for them, and if it works
> for us as well, so much the better.

It seems that where there are conflicts between the two types of
media, some of the differences can be resolved by bringing both sets
of features on par with each other.

Parental filtering is a good example of a feature that would be
very handy if implemented in the recordings. Some level of user
awareness could be useful in that regard too. You don't necessarily
need to restrict access. Presenting things differently could be good
enough.

[deletia]

jedi at mishnet

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:31:46PM +1000, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:26:19 AM Tom Lichti wrote:
> > And I disagree 110%. Media is media, regardless of the source,
>
> So you want your music mixed in with your videos? its all media after all

For video compilations and concert videos, this would actually make
a certain amount of sense. Soundtracks could also be stored with the
movie they are from.

The same performer appearing across different media types certainly isn't
unheard of.

lindsay.mathieson at gmail

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:07:02 AM jedi wrote:
> > So you want your music mixed in with your videos? its all media after all
>
> For video compilations and concert videos, this would actually make
> a certain amount of sense. Soundtracks could also be stored with the
> movie they are from.
>
> The same performer appearing across different media types certainly isn't
> unheard of.

Its sounds like over complicating/thinking a simple interface that works.

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On 5/29/2012 10:07, jedi wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:31:46PM +1000, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:26:19 AM Tom Lichti wrote:
>>> And I disagree 110%. Media is media, regardless of the source,
>>
>> So you want your music mixed in with your videos? its all media after all
>
> For video compilations and concert videos, this would actually make
> a certain amount of sense. Soundtracks could also be stored with the
> movie they are from.
>
> The same performer appearing across different media types certainly isn't
> unheard of.

Being able to easily cross-link to related content of different formats,
and having them actually show up in the same list, are two very
different concepts.

lindsay.mathieson at gmail

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:07:02 AM jedi wrote:
> For video compilations and concert videos, this would actually make
> a certain amount of sense. Soundtracks could also be stored with the
> movie they are from.
>
> The same performer appearing across different media types certainly isn't
> unheard of.

Also, these are edge case - not general content. The vast majority of tv
recordings don't have anywhere near the amount of meta info for what you
describe to be possible.

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

> > On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Lindsay Mathieson
> > <lindsay.mathieson [at] gmail> wrote:
> >>
> >> So you want your music mixed in with your videos? its all media
> >> after all
> >
> > Sure, why not? :)
> >
> > I will rephrase my statement for clarity: "Video is video,
> > regardless
> > of the source"
>
> You want video recordings from your camera mixed in recordings from
> your
> tuners?

Yes -- title it appropriately...

memmott at gmail

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Nasa <nasa01 [at] comcast> wrote:

> [...]
Couldn't we all take a step back and come up with a better way to tag or
organize the media, and have some sort of dynamic grouping based on that? I
don't think I want my videos mixed with my recordings, but on the same
token, I look at full seasons of, say, Game of Thrones as being more at
home in the Videos section.

Some ideas off the top of my head would be to have views like "permanent"
(movies, tv shows set to never delete), "temporary" (Shows that are set to
auto-delete), and "online" (links to videos on YouTube etc). Want to keep
something forever? Options -> Mark as Permanent.

Just a thought. I see the rest of the world going with tags and
search-driven dynamic descriptions, so why shouldn't MythTV?

raymond at wagnerrp

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On 5/29/2012 10:15, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:07:02 AM jedi wrote:
>> For video compilations and concert videos, this would actually make
>> a certain amount of sense. Soundtracks could also be stored with the
>> movie they are from.
>>
>> The same performer appearing across different media types certainly isn't
>> unheard of.
>
> Also, these are edge case - not general content. The vast majority of tv
> recordings don't have anywhere near the amount of meta info for what you
> describe to be possible.

Seems like the first step would be to petition Travis Bell to get
soundtrack listings and other such related content into the TMDB database.

digidmyth at gmail

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

It seems we all use myth a little differently, which just goes to show how
versatile the system is.

So maybe the best solution is to have an option to pull data from both
recordings and videos together for those that would like to see them
together. In my case I do not think that would work well as we have our
videos sorted in folders based on genre in most cases, so if you want to
watch a western it's in the western folder. If you want to watch season 1
of dirty jobs it's in tv shows/dirty jobs/ season 1. It also makes it
easyer for the kids to find something on their cinema tube boxes in their
rooms. I have a script that builds links to what they can watch from the db
based on ratings and share it via samba. In my case the live tv and
recordings are not something the younger kids do not have access to.

The point is we have each adapted myth to best fit our needs. So the use
cases are going to be all over the place. The developers have given us
great flexibility and a great system. I don't think any of us want to loose
something we already have, which makes change even harder, and a lot more
work for the developers. Look back at all the complaints about the changes
in .25 myth music. Lots of people are not happy with that while others
like the new system. For the record we use iTunes for music at our house as
we are apple and iPhone users also.

Bottom line is that we need to all be thankfully for what the developers
have done, and we need to also let thm know how we use the system so they
can make good choices in the direction the oft ware is going.

I didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest, I was just voicing my opinion of
how and why we like them separate at our house.

Dale

dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

On 29.05.2012 16:15, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:07:02 AM jedi wrote:
>> For video compilations and concert videos, this would actually make
>> a certain amount of sense. Soundtracks could also be stored with the
>> movie they are from.
>>
>> The same performer appearing across different media types certainly isn't
>> unheard of.
>
> Also, these are edge case - not general content. The vast majority of tv
> recordings don't have anywhere near the amount of meta info for what you
> describe to be possible.

which is why we want a community project with an sophisticated schema
and editing process, like musicbrainz but with tv data. Lets call it
tvbrainz :-)

Regards,
Karl

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Re: What is being worked on for 0.26? [In reply to]

or, http://thetvdb.com/
?

--
Steve