Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

myth 0.25 prolific log messages

dan.littlejohn at gmail

myth 0.25 prolific log messages

I have been working loose ends with my myth build and I wonder if these
messages are something to be concerned about or if they can be fixed

FreeSpaceUpdater playbacksock.cpp:139 (SendReceiveStringList) -
PlaybackSock::SendReceiveStringList(): Response too short

and

DevRdB(/dev/video0): Poll took an unusually long time 2502 ms

The tend to be prolific so they spam the logs.

Also, I am seeing these errors when the frontend starts up

SG() Error: Could not create builtinStorage Group directory
'/dev/null/.mythtv/themes' for 'Themes'

I am using a user account so I don't understand why it would be trying to
use /dev/null instead of the /home/<user>

Anyone have some insight. Using a pretty resent 0.25/fixes build on Gentoo.

Dan

keemllib at gmail

Re: myth 0.25 prolific log messages [In reply to]

On 05/26/2012 09:05 PM, Dan Littlejohn wrote:
> Also, I am seeing these errors when the frontend starts up
>
> SG() Error: Could not create builtinStorage Group directory
> '/dev/null/.mythtv/themes' for 'Themes'
>
> I am using a user account so I don't understand why it would be trying to
> use /dev/null instead of the /home/<user>
>
> Anyone have some insight. Using a pretty resent 0.25/fixes build on Gentoo.

Hi;

Do you have $MYTHCONFDIR set to /dev/null?

--
Bill

dan.littlejohn at gmail

Re: myth 0.25 prolific log messages [In reply to]

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 05/26/2012 09:05 PM, Dan Littlejohn wrote:
>
> Also, I am seeing these errors when the frontend starts up
>>
>> SG() Error: Could not create builtinStorage Group directory
>> '/dev/null/.mythtv/themes' for 'Themes'
>>
>> I am using a user account so I don't understand why it would be trying to
>> use /dev/null instead of the /home/<user>
>>
>> Anyone have some insight. Using a pretty resent 0.25/fixes build on
>> Gentoo.
>>

> Hi;
>
> Do you have $MYTHCONFDIR set to /dev/null?
>
> --
> Bill

I don't believe I have MYTHCONFDIR set at all and from poking around I am
not sure where I would set it. In /etc/profile or ~/.bashrc? My
installation is very old so it probably something that got added I did not
know I now need.

Dan

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: myth 0.25 prolific log messages [In reply to]

On 05/26/2012 11:35 PM, Dan Littlejohn wrote:
> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
>> On 05/26/2012 09:05 PM, Dan Littlejohn wrote:
>>> Also, I am seeing these errors when the frontend starts up
>>>
>>> SG() Error: Could not create builtinStorage Group directory
>>> '/dev/null/.mythtv/themes' for 'Themes'
>>>
>>> I am using a user account so I don't understand why it would be trying to
>>> use /dev/null instead of the /home/<user>
>>>
>>> Anyone have some insight. Using a pretty resent 0.25/fixes build on
>>> Gentoo.
>> Do you have $MYTHCONFDIR set to /dev/null?
>>
> I don't believe I have MYTHCONFDIR set at all and from poking around I am
> not sure where I would set it. In /etc/profile or ~/.bashrc? My
> installation is very old so it probably something that got added I did not
> know I now need.

No, you have HOME set to /dev/null in the environment that's starting
the frontend. You need to fix your frontend start script.

Mike

dan.littlejohn at gmail

Re: myth 0.25 prolific log messages [In reply to]

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean [at] thirdcontact>wrote:

> On 05/26/2012 11:35 PM, Dan Littlejohn wrote:

>>> Do you have $MYTHCONFDIR set to /dev/null?
>>>
>>> I don't believe I have MYTHCONFDIR set at all and from poking around I
>> am
>> not sure where I would set it. In /etc/profile or ~/.bashrc? My
>> installation is very old so it probably something that got added I did not
>> know I now need.
>>

> No, you have HOME set to /dev/null in the environment that's starting the
> frontend. You need to fix your frontend start script.
>
> Mike

These errors are not being thrown by the frontend? Here are the complete
log entries

8 6857871 bachuus mythbackend 7138 7138 CoreContext storagegroup.cpp 85
StaticInit 2012-05-28 13:32:34 3 SG() Error: Could not create
builtinStorage Group directory '/dev/null/.mythtv/themes' for 'Themes' 9
6857870 bachuus mythbackend 7138 7138 CoreContext storagegroup.cpp 85
StaticInit 2012-05-28 13:32:34 3 SG() Error: Could not create
builtinStorage Group directory '/dev/null/.mythtv/tmp' for 'Temp' 10 6857869
bachuus mythbackend 7138 7138 CoreContext storagegroup.cpp 85
StaticInit 2012-05-28
13:32:34 3 SG() Error: Could not create builtinStorage Group directory
'/dev/null/.mythtv/tmp/hls' for 'Streaming' 11 6857868 bachuus mythbackend
7138 7138 CoreContext storagegroup.cpp 85 StaticInit 2012-05-28 13:32:34 3 SG()
Error: Could not create builtinStorage Group directory
'/dev/null/.mythtv/channels' for 'ChannelIcons' 12 6857867 bachuus
mythbackend 7138 7138 CoreContext storagegroup.cpp 85 StaticInit 2012-05-28
13:32:34 3 SG() Error: Could not create builtinStorage Group directory
'/dev/null/.mythtv/3rdParty' for '3rdParty' 13 6857866 bachuus mythbackend
7138 7154 Expire autoexpire.cpp 640 SendDeleteMessages 2012-05-28
13:32:34 5 Expiring
2111 MB for 2120 at 2012-05-27T01:01:00 => "American Pickers":"The Return
of Hobo Jack"
Also,I checked the init.d script that starts the backend and there was a
HOME variable being set. I have not made any changes to this.

start() {
[ -z "${MYTH_VERBOSE}" ] && MYTH_VERBOSE="general"
[ -z "${MYTH_LOGLEVEL}" ] && MYTH_LOGLEVEL="info"

export HOME=/etc/mythtv

#fixes for bug #101308
unset DISPLAY
unset SESSION_MANAGER

# Work around any strange permissions that may be on these files.
chown -R mythtv /var/log/mythtv/
chown -R mythtv /etc/mythtv/
rm -rf /etc/mythtv/.qt

I am running fixes/0.25 [v0.25-79-g2970fe9]

Dan

keemllib at gmail

Re: myth 0.25 prolific log messages [In reply to]

On 05/28/2012 01:39 PM, Dan Littlejohn wrote:
> These errors are not being thrown by the frontend? Here are the complete
> log entries
>
> 8 6857871 bachuus mythbackend 7138 7138 CoreContext storagegroup.cpp 85
> StaticInit 2012-05-28 13:32:34 3 SG() Error: Could not create
> builtinStorage Group directory '/dev/null/.mythtv/themes' for 'Themes' 9
etc...

Hi;

The five directories you listed are created at startup if they don't
exist, using the contents of 'confdir' plus '/themes' for exammple.

How about adding the following just before your init script starts
mythbackend, and checking the result:

echo "HOME='$HOME', MYTHCONFDIR='$MYTHCONFDIR'" >> /tmp/confdir.out

Do you have a wrapper script that needs to be checked too (e.g.
mythbackend calls mythbackend.real?)

You didn't include the entire init script. If you're using the
--user <username> argument, what is the reault of grep <username>
/etc/passwd? Does it have its home directory set to /dev/null?

I'd suggest putting the entire log output from a single run in
http://filebin.ca/ in case there's something happening earlier
(and to eliminate those pesky split lines in email.)

--
Bill

dan.littlejohn at gmail

Re: myth 0.25 prolific log messages [In reply to]

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 05/28/2012 01:39 PM, Dan Littlejohn wrote:
>
>> These errors are not being thrown by the frontend? Here are the complete
>>
>> log entries
>>
>> 8 6857871 bachuus mythbackend 7138 7138 CoreContext storagegroup.cpp 85
>> StaticInit 2012-05-28 13:32:34 3 SG() Error: Could not create
>> builtinStorage Group directory '/dev/null/.mythtv/themes' for 'Themes' 9
>>
> etc...
>
> Hi;
>
> The five directories you listed are created at startup if they don't
> exist, using the contents of 'confdir' plus '/themes' for exammple.
>
> How about adding the following just before your init script starts
> mythbackend, and checking the result:
>
> echo "HOME='$HOME', MYTHCONFDIR='$MYTHCONFDIR'" >> /tmp/confdir.out
>
> Do you have a wrapper script that needs to be checked too (e.g.
> mythbackend calls mythbackend.real?)
>
> You didn't include the entire init script. If you're using the
> --user <username> argument, what is the reault of grep <username>
> /etc/passwd? Does it have its home directory set to /dev/null?
>
> I'd suggest putting the entire log output from a single run in
> http://filebin.ca/ in case there's something happening earlier
> (and to eliminate those pesky split lines in email.)
>
> --
> Bill

It was the /etc/passwd directory. Thanks very much.

Dan

rparrish at gmail

Jun 1, 2012, 6:18 AM

Re: myth 0.25 prolific log messages [In reply to]

I recently upgraded to 0.25-fixes using Mythbuntu's auto-build repo,
and I was surprised at the change in content of the Mythweb logs page.
Now it seems to log every little detail from both the backend and the
frontend on the same box. Is there a setting somewhere in either the
backend or mythweb configuration to return logging to just the
important backend events the way 0.24 did?

-Ray

mtdean at thirdcontact

Jun 1, 2012, 8:39 AM

Re: myth 0.25 prolific log messages [In reply to]

On 06/01/2012 09:18 AM, Ray Parrish wrote:
> I recently upgraded to 0.25-fixes using Mythbuntu's auto-build repo,
> and I was surprised at the change in content of the Mythweb logs page.
> Now it seems to log every little detail from both the backend and the
> frontend on the same box. Is there a setting somewhere in either the
> backend or mythweb configuration to return logging to just the
> important backend events the way 0.24 did?

The MythWeb logs functionality should have been removed, because it's
broken by design. No one should use it. (Only reason I left it
in--completely broken--is because I didn't feel like fighting with users
who would complain when I removed it.)

Those who actually need HTTP access to logging can choose to use the
services API to retrieve the desired information.

Mike

dan.littlejohn at gmail

Jun 1, 2012, 12:24 PM

Re: myth 0.25 prolific log messages [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean [at] thirdcontact>wrote:

> On 06/01/2012 09:18 AM, Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> I recently upgraded to 0.25-fixes using Mythbuntu's auto-build repo,
>> and I was surprised at the change in content of the Mythweb logs page.
>> Now it seems to log every little detail from both the backend and the
>> frontend on the same box. Is there a setting somewhere in either the
>> backend or mythweb configuration to return logging to just the
>> important backend events the way 0.24 did?
>>

> The MythWeb logs functionality should have been removed, because it's
> broken by design. No one should use it. (Only reason I left it
> in--completely broken--is because I didn't feel like fighting with users
> who would complain when I removed it.)
>
> Those who actually need HTTP access to logging can choose to use the
> services API to retrieve the desired information.
>
> Mike

People don't complain about things they don't care about.

It is a bit ironic that the only things I used in MythWeb were MythWeather
and the myth logs as they were really convenient. I know this is free
software, but these were working features that were removed and I guess you
are saying the only way to look at the logs now is through some obscure
API. Guess I will do without.

Dan

mtdean at thirdcontact

Jun 1, 2012, 1:18 PM

Re: myth 0.25 prolific log messages [In reply to]

On 06/01/2012 03:24 PM, Dan Littlejohn wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 06/01/2012 09:18 AM, Ray Parrish wrote:
>>
>>> I recently upgraded to 0.25-fixes using Mythbuntu's auto-build repo,
>>> and I was surprised at the change in content of the Mythweb logs page.
>>> Now it seems to log every little detail from both the backend and the
>>> frontend on the same box. Is there a setting somewhere in either the
>>> backend or mythweb configuration to return logging to just the
>>> important backend events the way 0.24 did?
>>>
>> The MythWeb logs functionality should have been removed, because it's
>> broken by design. No one should use it. (Only reason I left it
>> in--completely broken--is because I didn't feel like fighting with users
>> who would complain when I removed it.)
>>
>> Those who actually need HTTP access to logging can choose to use the
>> services API to retrieve the desired information.
> People don't complain about things they don't care about.
>
> It is a bit ironic that the only things I used in MythWeb were MythWeather
> and the myth logs as they were really convenient. I know this is free
> software, but these were working features

No, MythWeb log viewer wasn't working because database logging wasn't
working until we got a proper logger.

That said, I'm really curious what you needed to frequently look at in
the tiny amount of logging that got written to the database in 0.24 and
below.

> that were removed and I guess you
> are saying the only way to look at the logs now is through some obscure
> API.

No, that's not at all what I'm saying.

I'm saying you can use the API directly with your own scripts, or you
can use the viewer that's provided by the backend. I'm just saying that
the MythWeb page is broken and no one using 0.25 or above should use it.

> Guess I will do without.

See, this is what I tried to avoid.

The backend log viewer is unfinished, because I'm finding it harder and
harder to get motivated to work on MythTV when the only reward any of us
seem to get is grief and complaints. Eventually, when the viewer is
working properly, it will be available through MythWeb--but MythWeb will
be completely uninvolved in the whole feature (just as MythWeb is
completely uninvolved in the backend status page that's visible through
MythWeb, but created by the backend--and is also available without going
through MythWeb).

Eventually, MythWeb should be completely dismantled and all its
functionality should be provided as part of the backend. Then, MythWeb
will become nothing more than a proxy in front of the backend services,
which allow you to put MythWeb-like functionality on the Internet
without exposing all of the (completely-insecure) backend functionality
available through the backend port. And, for bonus points, MythWeb
could provide additional skins/themes/styles.

If you want a completed DVR, I recently heard that TiVo is releasing a
6-tuner system that allows playback on any TV in the house (and theirs
actually works with copy-once and even live playback of copy-never
material)... If you use MythTV, you'll have to be patient or create
your own patches.

Mike

dan.littlejohn at gmail

Jun 1, 2012, 2:00 PM

Re: myth 0.25 prolific log messages [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean [at] thirdcontact>wrote:

> On 06/01/2012 03:24 PM, Dan Littlejohn wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>> On 06/01/2012 09:18 AM, Ray Parrish wrote:
>>>
>>> I recently upgraded to 0.25-fixes using Mythbuntu's auto-build repo,

>>> broken by design. No one should use it. (Only reason I left it
>>> in--completely broken--is because I didn't feel like fighting with users
>>> who would complain when I removed it.)
>>>
>>> Those who actually need HTTP access to logging can choose to use the
>>> services API to retrieve the desired information.
>>>
>> People don't complain about things they don't care about.
>>

>> It is a bit ironic that the only things I used in MythWeb were MythWeather
>> and the myth logs as they were really convenient. I know this is free
>> software, but these were working features
>>

> No, MythWeb log viewer wasn't working because database logging wasn't
> working until we got a proper logger.
>
> That said, I'm really curious what you needed to frequently look at in the
> tiny amount of logging that got written to the database in 0.24 and below.
>

> that were removed and I guess you
>> are saying the only way to look at the logs now is through some obscure
>> API.
>>

> No, that's not at all what I'm saying.
>
> I'm saying you can use the API directly with your own scripts, or you can
> use the viewer that's provided by the backend. I'm just saying that the
> MythWeb page is broken and no one using 0.25 or above should use it.
>

> Guess I will do without.
>>

> See, this is what I tried to avoid.
>
> The backend log viewer is unfinished, because I'm finding it harder and
> harder to get motivated to work on MythTV when the only reward any of us
> seem to get is grief and complaints. Eventually, when the viewer is
> working properly, it will be available through MythWeb--but MythWeb will be
> completely uninvolved in the whole feature (just as MythWeb is completely
> uninvolved in the backend status page that's visible through MythWeb, but
> created by the backend--and is also available without going through
> MythWeb).
>
> Eventually, MythWeb should be completely dismantled and all its
> functionality should be provided as part of the backend. Then, MythWeb
> will become nothing more than a proxy in front of the backend services,
> which allow you to put MythWeb-like functionality on the Internet without
> exposing all of the (completely-insecure) backend functionality available
> through the backend port. And, for bonus points, MythWeb could provide
> additional skins/themes/styles.
>
> If you want a completed DVR, I recently heard that TiVo is releasing a
> 6-tuner system that allows playback on any TV in the house (and theirs
> actually works with copy-once and even live playback of copy-never
> material)... If you use MythTV, you'll have to be patient or create your
> own patches.
>

> Mike

Mike:

Look, I can sympathize. I write software for a living and a lot of that is
building webtools. I get daily abuse often from people that have very
unreasonable demands. As for Myth, my family and I have gotten a lot of
enjoyment out of myth and am as guilty as others of not showing any
appreciation. It is a fantastic package that has aged well. My Myth build
is currently 8+ years old and has just gone through it's 4th set of
hardware so I know the software fairly well from a user perspective, but I
don't sift through all the change logs or roadmaps to know what is going
on. I will say for software I build, once I get something out there then
I do feel it is my job to manage expectations, especially if something is
radically changing or going away. If I don't want to get a slew of emails
and people in my office I have learned I have to make it intuitive (or
unavoidable) to see the change that is coming. Please try to see some of
this from our perspective as your explication sounds like a very nice
direction, but I had no knowledge of it till this post. Why not put a
banner at the top of the MythWeb log explaining the roadmap or something so
people don't get frustrated like this (and maybe save yourself some
frustration too)?

Dan