Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

are missing recordings automatically re-recorded when available?

brian at interlinx

are missing recordings automatically re-recorded when available?

I had a disk in my storage pool go bad and it took with it the
recordings that were on it. No big deal. It is just TV afterall.

Of course the recordings are still in the database and now I have a
bunch of recordings showing in the FE with a white X beside them,
signifying that their recording file cannot be found.

Does a recording in this state automatically get flagged for
re-recording or do I have to manually do something with each of them
(i.e. "Allow this episode to re-record") to get that to happen, assuming
of course they are shown again -- re-run season is right around the
corner though. :-)

I notice that while there is a context menu item to do this (Recording
Options->Allow this episode to re-record) to recordings that are still
valid there is no "Recording Options" context menu item for this
recordings with missing files. From a an end-user perspective, I'd
really hope that this means that these recordings are automatically
eligible for re-recording -- given that there is no UI element for me to
manually elect that.

Cheers,
b.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: are missing recordings automatically re-recorded when available? [In reply to]

On 05/21/2012 06:35 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I had a disk in my storage pool go bad and it took with it the
> recordings that were on it. No big deal. It is just TV afterall.
>
> Of course the recordings are still in the database and now I have a
> bunch of recordings showing in the FE with a white X beside them,
> signifying that their recording file cannot be found.
>
> Does a recording in this state automatically get flagged for
> re-recording or do I have to manually do something with each of them
> (i.e. "Allow this episode to re-record") to get that to happen, assuming
> of course they are shown again -- re-run season is right around the
> corner though. :-)
>
> I notice that while there is a context menu item to do this (Recording
> Options->Allow this episode to re-record) to recordings that are still
> valid there is no "Recording Options" context menu item for this
> recordings with missing files. From a an end-user perspective, I'd
> really hope that this means that these recordings are automatically
> eligible for re-recording -- given that there is no UI element for me to
> manually elect that.

You will need to select whether to allow re-record or not when you
delete the invalid metadata. You can do this with:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py

which will always delete and allow re-record.

In theory, in mythfrontend's Watch Recordings screen, you would be able
to delete (using the procedure specified in
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#How_do_I_remove_recordings_that_no_longer_exist_on_disk.3F
), but it seems that in the years of users complaining that they were
unable to delete recordings with missing files, none mentioned that they
had turned on the "Auto-Expire instead of delete recording" setting (so
I never tested with that setting enabled).

Since that setting was removed from 0.25, and it is now always enabled,
we have to fix the code to allow deletion of recordings with missing
files. However, once we do fix that, it will allow you to choose to
delete the recording without allowing re-record.

Mike

brian at interlinx

Re: are missing recordings automatically re-recorded when available? [In reply to]

On 12-05-21 07:06 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> You will need to select whether to allow re-record or not when you
> delete the invalid metadata.

But I don't want to delete the invalid metadata. Right now, the broken
entries in the FE episode selector instruct me that I am waiting for a
re-record to happen. If I delete these broken entries I won't know that
there are gaps between the episodes that I do have that need to be
filled in before I can watch the following episodes.

Re: are missing recordings automatically re-recorded when available? [In reply to]

On 05/21/2012 07:13 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 12-05-21 07:06 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> You will need to select whether to allow re-record or not when you
>> delete the invalid metadata.
> But I don't want to delete the invalid metadata. Right now, the broken
> entries in the FE episode selector instruct me that I am waiting for a
> re-record to happen. If I delete these broken entries I won't know that
> there are gaps between the episodes that I do have that need to be
> filled in before I can watch the following episodes.

Well, current MythTV isn't designed to manage metadata in Watch
Recordings for recordings without files.

Future MythTV will support it.

If you want to hack around the system and you really want to have a
bunch of missing files slowing down Watch Recordings, you can put all of
the recordings into a recording group ("Missing Files" or whatever),
then "touch" the file for each one, then select that recording group in
Watch Recordings and add the group to the playlist, then use Playlist
Options to choose "Allow this episode to re-record", then go delete the
0-byte files.

Mike

thomas at mashos

Re: are missing recordings automatically re-recorded when available? [In reply to]

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
> On 05/21/2012 07:13 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>>
>> On 12-05-21 07:06 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>>
>>> You will need to select whether to allow re-record or not when you
>>> delete the invalid metadata.
>>
>> But I don't want to delete the invalid metadata.  Right now, the broken
>> entries in the FE episode selector instruct me that I am waiting for a
>> re-record to happen.  If I delete these broken entries I won't know that
>> there are gaps between the episodes that I do have that need to be
>> filled in before I can watch the following episodes.
>

> Well, current MythTV isn't designed to manage metadata in Watch Recordings
> for recordings without files.
>
> Future MythTV will support it.
>
> If you want to hack around the system and you really want to have a bunch of
> missing files slowing down Watch Recordings, you can put all of the
> recordings into a recording group ("Missing Files" or whatever), then
> "touch" the file for each one, then select that recording group in Watch
> Recordings and add the group to the playlist, then use Playlist Options to
> choose "Allow this episode to re-record", then go delete the 0-byte files.
>

> Mike

Also if you are using a 0.25 and have a show that has metadata
available via the grabbers you can use a theme that shows the
season/episode of a particular show.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos

brian at interlinx

Re: are missing recordings automatically re-recorded when available? [In reply to]

On 12-05-21 07:29 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Well, current MythTV isn't designed to manage metadata in Watch
> Recordings for recordings without files.

And that's fair enough. Certainly what I want to do is outside the
realm of a typical/normal workflow I'd think.

> If you want to hack around the system and you really want to have a
> bunch of missing files slowing down Watch Recordings, you can put all of
> the recordings into a recording group ("Missing Files" or whatever),
> then "touch" the file for each one, then select that recording group in
> Watch Recordings and add the group to the playlist, then use Playlist
> Options to choose "Allow this episode to re-record", then go delete the
> 0-byte files.

Ahhh. Nice solution. Except that I don't seem to have a menu option on
these broken recordings to even change their recording group. The only
options are "Show Recording Details", "Delete", and "Add to Playlist".
I might be able to use the playlist to change the recording group,
however...

I can cobble up some shell-script to give me a list of recordings that
have a missing file and create 0-byte files from that list so this first
problem is not really a huge problem. However, even with recordings
tagged (and of course untagged as described previously), there isn't a
playlist option to "Allow ... re-record"

Re: are missing recordings automatically re-recorded when available? [In reply to]

On 05/21/2012 08:05 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 12-05-21 07:29 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Well, current MythTV isn't designed to manage metadata in Watch
>> Recordings for recordings without files.
> And that's fair enough. Certainly what I want to do is outside the
> realm of a typical/normal workflow I'd think.
>
>> If you want to hack around the system and you really want to have a
>> bunch of missing files slowing down Watch Recordings, you can put all of
>> the recordings into a recording group ("Missing Files" or whatever),
>> then "touch" the file for each one, then select that recording group in
>> Watch Recordings and add the group to the playlist, then use Playlist
>> Options to choose "Allow this episode to re-record", then go delete the
>> 0-byte files.
> Ahhh. Nice solution. Except that I don't seem to have a menu option on
> these broken recordings to even change their recording group. The only
> options are "Show Recording Details", "Delete", and "Add to Playlist".
> I might be able to use the playlist to change the recording group,
> however...

With add to playlist available, you might be able to access both the
"Allow this episode to re-record" and "Change recording group" playlist
options directly, and not even need to touch files.

> I can cobble up some shell-script to give me a list of recordings that
> have a missing file and create 0-byte files from that list so this first
> problem is not really a huge problem. However, even with recordings
> tagged (and of course untagged as described previously), there isn't a
> playlist option to "Allow ... re-record"

Yes, because we didn't design Watch Recordings to allow you to keep
metadata for non-existent recordings. It's supposed to manage
recordings--complete with metadata /and/ files. :)

Mike

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: are missing recordings automatically re-recorded when available? [In reply to]

On 05/21/2012 08:21 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/21/2012 08:05 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>> On 12-05-21 07:29 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> Well, current MythTV isn't designed to manage metadata in Watch
>>> Recordings for recordings without files.
>> And that's fair enough. Certainly what I want to do is outside the
>> realm of a typical/normal workflow I'd think.
>>
>>> If you want to hack around the system and you really want to have a
>>> bunch of missing files slowing down Watch Recordings, you can put
>>> all of
>>> the recordings into a recording group ("Missing Files" or whatever),
>>> then "touch" the file for each one, then select that recording group in
>>> Watch Recordings and add the group to the playlist, then use Playlist
>>> Options to choose "Allow this episode to re-record", then go delete the
>>> 0-byte files.
>> Ahhh. Nice solution. Except that I don't seem to have a menu option on
>> these broken recordings to even change their recording group. The only
>> options are "Show Recording Details", "Delete", and "Add to Playlist".
>> I might be able to use the playlist to change the recording group,
>> however...
>
> With add to playlist available, you might be able to access both the
> "Allow this episode to re-record" and "Change recording group"
> playlist options directly, and not even need to touch files.
>
>> I can cobble up some shell-script to give me a list of recordings that
>> have a missing file and create 0-byte files from that list so this first
>> problem is not really a huge problem. However, even with recordings
>> tagged (and of course untagged as described previously), there isn't a
>> playlist option to "Allow ... re-record"
>
> Yes, because we didn't design Watch Recordings to allow you to keep
> metadata for non-existent recordings. It's supposed to manage
> recordings--complete with metadata /and/ files. :)

Ah, wait, you're saying there's no "Allow this episode to re-record"
option in the Playlist Options menu. Guess we don't have a way of
allowing it for a group at once--meaning it would be one-by one using
Schedule Options menu after touching the files.

Mike

brian at interlinx

Re: are missing recordings automatically re-recorded when available? [In reply to]

On 12-05-21 08:24 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Ah, wait, you're saying there's no "Allow this episode to re-record"
> option in the Playlist Options menu.

Ahh. Yes, that is indeed the case. Even if the playlist only contains
a single recording that is has a valid data file, there is no "Allow
this episode to re-record". So it looks like that feature was never
even considered for playlists.

> Guess we don't have a way of
> allowing it for a group at once--meaning it would be one-by one using
> Schedule Options menu after touching the files.

Yeah. With the difficulty of finding them all after I've touched the
files given that they won't be marked broken any more. Perhaps I can do
some playback/recording group operation before so that they are at least
all together.

I don't suppose you want to tell me what "Allow this episode to
re-record" actually does in the database do you? :-)

Re: are missing recordings automatically re-recorded when available? [In reply to]

On 12-05-21 07:44 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:

> Also if you are using a 0.25 and have a show that has metadata
> available via the grabbers you can use a theme

Like which ones?

> that shows the
> season/episode of a particular show.

Well, mythweb shows the season/ep data and very few recordings actually
have it populated. Er, make that none of my 892 recordings at the
moment. But I have seen it (very sparsely) populated in the past, so
grabbing that info must be working for whatever few shows have it available.

Nice idea in theory though.