Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Anyone ever used HVR-1800 card?

ildefonso.camargo at gmail

Anyone ever used HVR-1800 card?

Greetings,

Yes, I know this card is reported to NOT work with mythtv, but I was
just wondering if anybody has been able to make it work with tvtime at
least. I got one recently, but I was unable to even get to watch
anything there....

So, if anybody has a 1800 at least partially working (I just got a
black screen), please tell me:

1. What kernel version are you using?
2. md5sum of the two firmware files.

Thanks!

Ildefonso.

kenneth.emerson at gmail

Re: Anyone ever used HVR-1800 card? [In reply to]

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <
ildefonso.camargo [at] gmail> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Yes, I know this card is reported to NOT work with mythtv, but I was
> just wondering if anybody has been able to make it work with tvtime at
> least. I got one recently, but I was unable to even get to watch
> anything there....
>
> So, if anybody has a 1800 at least partially working (I just got a
> black screen), please tell me:
>
> 1. What kernel version are you using?
> 2. md5sum of the two firmware files.
>
> I have been using the 1800 for several years so my memory is a bit hazy on
how I originally set it up. I only use it for ATSC.. Others have tried
getting the NTSC to work and failed. Also, I'm in the USA. I kind of
remember having to use the mercurial drivers to start with, but I believe
support for this board is now in the kernel. I am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
32 bit.(2.6.32). I do have two v4l-cx23885 firmware files in my
/lib/firmware directory but am not sure if they are still used or not:

a9f8f5d901a7fb42f552e1ee6384f3bb */lib/firmware/v4l-cx23885-avcore-01.fw
a9f8f5d901a7fb42f552e1ee6384f3bb */lib/firmware/v4l-cx23885-enc.fw

Hope this helps.

> Thanks!
>
> Your welcome

mythtv at dtmc

Re: Anyone ever used HVR-1800 card? [In reply to]

On 18 May 2012 00:48, Kenneth Emerson <kenneth.emerson [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
> <ildefonso.camargo [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Yes, I know this card is reported to NOT work with mythtv, but I was
>> just wondering if anybody has been able to make it work with tvtime at
>> least.  I got one recently, but I was unable to even get to watch
>> anything there....
>>
>> So, if anybody has a 1800 at least partially working (I just got a
>> black screen), please tell me:
>>
>> 1. What kernel version are you using?
>> 2. md5sum of the two firmware files.
>>
> I have been using the 1800 for several years so my memory is a bit hazy on
> how I originally set it up.  I only use it for ATSC..  Others have tried
> getting the NTSC to work and failed.  Also, I'm in the USA.  I kind of
> remember having to use the mercurial drivers to start with, but I believe
> support for this board is now in the kernel.  I am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
> 32 bit.(2.6.32).  I do have two v4l-cx23885 firmware files in my
> /lib/firmware directory but am not sure if they are still used or not:
>
> a9f8f5d901a7fb42f552e1ee6384f3bb */lib/firmware/v4l-cx23885-avcore-01.fw
> a9f8f5d901a7fb42f552e1ee6384f3bb */lib/firmware/v4l-cx23885-enc.fw
>
> Hope this helps.
>

>> Thanks!
>>
> Your welcome

I am using that capture card.
http://yabbdt.blogspot.ca/2011/02/mythtv_08.html

I had real headaches with my original U10.04 installation. I vaguely
recall trying to find drivers for the 1800 when I attempted to use
Mythbuntu. I used Ubuntu Desktop and had no problems with MythTV
finding this card.

I too am in North America and use ATSC.

--
MythTV Config/Issues: http://yabbdt.blogspot.ca/2011/02/mythtv_08.html

ildefonso.camargo at gmail

Re: Anyone ever used HVR-1800 card? [In reply to]

Thanks Kenneth and Mike!

I think I'm just out of luck.... I installed windows on the PC (I
still have an acute allergy because of windows :P ), and using windows
drivers I was able to get only noise :( (ie, no signal at all)..... my
other two capture cards worked just fine on windows (and are working
pretty much fine on Linux): HVR-950Q and PVR-150.

so...maybe my hvr-1800 is faulty :( .

Unfortunately, I'm in Venezuela, and at best I have 1 open QAM channel
from the cable company (+ ~20 audio channels, that I can't tune with
my cards... odd)... our government went with ISDB-T (pretty much in
line with the rest of south america, but...)... so, for now, I need
analog support (and on a distant future: ISDB-T, but I don't know what
way will the cable company take, make they'll use QAM).

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:29 AM, Mike <mythtv [at] dtmc> wrote:
> On 18 May 2012 00:48, Kenneth Emerson <kenneth.emerson [at] gmail> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
>> <ildefonso.camargo [at] gmail> wrote:
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Yes, I know this card is reported to NOT work with mythtv, but I was
>>> just wondering if anybody has been able to make it work with tvtime at
>>> least.  I got one recently, but I was unable to even get to watch
>>> anything there....
>>>
>>> So, if anybody has a 1800 at least partially working (I just got a
>>> black screen), please tell me:
>>>
>>> 1. What kernel version are you using?
>>> 2. md5sum of the two firmware files.
>>>
>> I have been using the 1800 for several years so my memory is a bit hazy on
>> how I originally set it up.  I only use it for ATSC..  Others have tried
>> getting the NTSC to work and failed.  Also, I'm in the USA.  I kind of
>> remember having to use the mercurial drivers to start with, but I believe
>> support for this board is now in the kernel.  I am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
>> 32 bit.(2.6.32).  I do have two v4l-cx23885 firmware files in my
>> /lib/firmware directory but am not sure if they are still used or not:
>>
>> a9f8f5d901a7fb42f552e1ee6384f3bb */lib/firmware/v4l-cx23885-avcore-01.fw
>> a9f8f5d901a7fb42f552e1ee6384f3bb */lib/firmware/v4l-cx23885-enc.fw
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>

>>> Thanks!
>>>
>> Your welcome

> I am using that capture card.
> http://yabbdt.blogspot.ca/2011/02/mythtv_08.html
>
> I had real headaches with my original U10.04 installation.  I vaguely
> recall trying to find drivers for the 1800 when I attempted to use
> Mythbuntu.  I used Ubuntu Desktop and had no problems with MythTV
> finding this card.
>
> I too am in North America and use ATSC.
>
> --
> MythTV Config/Issues: http://yabbdt.blogspot.ca/2011/02/mythtv_08.html

dheitmueller at kernellabs

Re: Anyone ever used HVR-1800 card? [In reply to]

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
<ildefonso.camargo [at] gmail> wrote:
> Thanks Kenneth and Mike!
>
> I think I'm just out of luck.... I installed windows on the PC (I
> still have an acute allergy because of windows :P ), and using windows
> drivers I was able to get only noise :( (ie, no signal at all)..... my
> other two capture cards worked just fine on windows (and are working
> pretty much fine on Linux): HVR-950Q and PVR-150.
>
> so...maybe my hvr-1800 is faulty :( .

Are you sure you've got the cable plugged into the right connector?
The 1800 has separate connectors for the analog versus digital input
(and having the analog cable feed plugged into the digital input would
cause the behavior you have described).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

ildefonso.camargo at gmail

Re: Anyone ever used HVR-1800 card? [In reply to]

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Devin Heitmueller
<dheitmueller [at] kernellabs> wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
> <ildefonso.camargo [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Thanks Kenneth and Mike!
>>
>> I think I'm just out of luck.... I installed windows on the PC (I
>> still have an acute allergy because of windows :P ), and using windows
>> drivers I was able to get only noise :( (ie, no signal at all)..... my
>> other two capture cards worked just fine on windows (and are working
>> pretty much fine on Linux): HVR-950Q and PVR-150.
>>
>> so...maybe my hvr-1800 is faulty :( .
>
> Are you sure you've got the cable plugged into the right connector?
> The 1800 has separate connectors for the analog versus digital input
> (and having the analog cable feed plugged into the digital input would
> cause the behavior you have described).

Yup, I even tried to connect both of them, unplugging my PVR-150, and
connecting both cables to the HVR-1800 (it has a third connector
labeled as FM, I even tried to move a cable there, just in case): no
luck..... on a side note, the 27MHz crystal this card has looks a
little smashed (likely during shipping, but hard to tell), I don't
know if that 27MHz crystal is part of the analog tuner circuit or
what.

I also noted the WinTV app to be quite unstable (freezing from time to
time). Sometimes I restarted the machine between WinTV freezes (just
in case): no luck.

Re: Anyone ever used HVR-1800 card? [In reply to]

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
<ildefonso.camargo [at] gmail> wrote:
> Yup, I even tried to connect both of them, unplugging my PVR-150, and
> connecting both cables to the HVR-1800 (it has a third connector
> labeled as FM, I even tried to move a cable there, just in case): no
> luck..... on a side note, the 27MHz crystal this card has looks a
> little smashed (likely during shipping, but hard to tell), I don't
> know if that 27MHz crystal is part of the analog tuner circuit or
> what.

I would have to look at the schematic to see if the 27 MHz xtal is
required for analog. It's highly likely that it is though since if I
recall the ITU-656 bus servicing the video decoder runs as 27 MHz.

If it doesn't work under Windows, then you likely have a bad board and
should get it replaced. I bought one on Ebay for $20 a couple of
weeks ago, but it doesn't include the A/V inputs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hauppauge-WinTV-HVR-1800-HDTV-Tuner-Capture-Card-PCI-e-/400295492930?pt=US_Video_Capture_TV_Tuner_Cards&hash=item5d33787d42

Devin

Re: Anyone ever used HVR-1800 card? [In reply to]

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Devin Heitmueller
<dheitmueller [at] kernellabs> wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
> <ildefonso.camargo [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Yup, I even tried to connect both of them, unplugging my PVR-150, and
>> connecting both cables to the HVR-1800 (it has a third connector
>> labeled as FM, I even tried to move a cable there, just in case): no
>> luck..... on a side note, the 27MHz crystal this card has looks a
>> little smashed (likely during shipping, but hard to tell), I don't
>> know if that 27MHz crystal is part of the analog tuner circuit or
>> what.
>
> I would have to look at the schematic to see if the 27 MHz xtal is
> required for analog.  It's highly likely that it is though since if I
> recall the ITU-656 bus servicing the video decoder runs as 27 MHz.
>
> If it doesn't work under Windows, then you likely have a bad board and
> should get it replaced.  I bought one on Ebay for $20 a couple of
> weeks ago, but it doesn't include the A/V inputs.
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hauppauge-WinTV-HVR-1800-HDTV-Tuner-Capture-Card-PCI-e-/400295492930?pt=US_Video_Capture_TV_Tuner_Cards&hash=item5d33787d42

Nice, however, I don't think the 1800 is for me, I mean, I don't see
anybody being able to actually use it in analog mode... I need analog,
but I also need PCIe.... do you have a suggestion?.

Also, my HVR-950q no longer works with mythtv (analog too), it even
produce a kernel "BUG" message that was discussed here some time
ago.... so, either fix mythtv (to work a little more like tvtime when
dealing with analog cards), or try to fix the driver: both options are
quite time-consuming, and I can't right now (and only God knows for
how long :( ).

Ildefonso.

holists at verizon

Re: Anyone ever used HVR-1800 card? [In reply to]

On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 17:28 -0430, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
<snip>

> Also, my HVR-950q no longer works with mythtv (analog too), it even
> produce a kernel "BUG" message that was discussed here some time
> ago.... so, either fix mythtv (to work a little more like tvtime when
> dealing with analog cards), or try to fix the driver: both options are
> quite time-consuming, and I can't right now (and only God knows for
> how long :( ).
>
> Ildefonso.

Just takes 10 minutes:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel

http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2012-April/331223.html

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/472582?do=post_view_threaded#472582 (to compile a target kernel module without the entire kernel)

-- Harry O.

ildefonso.camargo at gmail

Re: Anyone ever used HVR-1800 card? [In reply to]

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 12:25 AM, Harry Orenstein <holists [at] verizon> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 17:28 -0430, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Also, my HVR-950q no longer works with mythtv (analog too), it even
>> produce a kernel "BUG" message that was discussed here some time
>> ago.... so, either fix mythtv (to work a little more like tvtime when
>> dealing with analog cards), or try to fix the driver: both options are
>> quite time-consuming, and I can't right now (and only God knows for
>> how long :( ).
>>
>> Ildefonso.
>
> Just takes 10 minutes:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2012-April/331223.html
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/472582?do=post_view_threaded#472582   (to compile a target kernel module without the entire kernel)

Ok, no, that patch doesn't makes the tuner usable with mythtv again, I
just get a nice green screen (and funny enough, after exiting mythtv
if I try to use tvtime the green screen appears on tvtime too, so, it
is something in the tuner driver), I then unloaded and loaded the
driver and the tuner worked just fine with tvtime. So, I'll just add
this to my work queue for now and see if I can take a look at it
later. I know there is people working on this issue, so, there is
hope, but if one can help it would be better, I guess :) .

Ildefonso.