Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

MythGallery: "Timed out waiting for frames" playing MJPEG

raffaele.belardi at st

MythGallery: "Timed out waiting for frames" playing MJPEG

After the move to 0.25 playback of the videos recorded from my still
camera in MythGallery is awful: Internal player plays a couple of
seconds, then stops audio and video, then continues, then stops again
and so on. The log is full of "Timed out waiting for frames, and There
are not enough free frames, discarding buffered frames".

mplayer plays the same files without issues. No problem playing AVIs nor
high quality mkv with Internal player. Live TV is ok.

One workaround could be to change the file extension for the MJPEG files
and use mplayer instead of Internal on those.

Any other (smarter) possibility?

I'm running 0.25 from "https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/Gentoo",
Nvidia GT520 PCIe video card with 295.20 driver, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+,
all files are played from local ext3/SATA discs. Audio is plain stereo
with the ALSA pcm plugin to duplicate it to to two stereo channels.

The same problem with no solution is described here:
http://www.mythtv.dk/viewtopic.php?id=288 (I used google translator :-)

thanks,

raffaele

raffaele.belardi at st

Re: MythGallery: "Timed out waiting for frames" playing MJPEG [In reply to]

On 05/14/2012 09:05 AM, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
> After the move to 0.25 playback of the videos recorded from my still
> camera in MythGallery is awful: Internal player plays a couple of
> seconds, then stops audio and video, then continues, then stops again
> and so on. The log is full of "Timed out waiting for frames, and There
> are not enough free frames, discarding buffered frames".
>
> mplayer plays the same files without issues. No problem playing AVIs nor
> high quality mkv with Internal player. Live TV is ok.

Nobody else is having problems with MJPEG movies in MythGallery?

thanks,

raffaele

dizygotheca at ntlworld

Re: MythGallery: "Timed out waiting for frames" playing MJPEG [In reply to]

On Wed, 16 May 2012 08:27:35 +0100, Raffaele BELARDI
<raffaele.belardi [at] st> wrote:

> On 05/14/2012 09:05 AM, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
>> After the move to 0.25 playback of the videos recorded from my still
>> camera in MythGallery is awful: Internal player plays a couple of
>> seconds, then stops audio and video, then continues, then stops again
>> and so on. The log is full of "Timed out waiting for frames, and There
>> are not enough free frames, discarding buffered frames".
>>
>> mplayer plays the same files without issues. No problem playing AVIs nor
>> high quality mkv with Internal player. Live TV is ok.
>
> Nobody else is having problems with MJPEG movies in MythGallery?
>
> thanks,
>
> raffaele

Yes. I also noticed this a few days ago.

My camera generates MOV files which produce the problems you describe.
Some of these I have compressed to AVI files (for web posting) and these
also have the stutter. However other (downloaded) AVI files play perfectly
in Myth, as do other formats. All these 'problem files' play perfectly in
VLC and mythffplay.

So is it an issue with MythVideo playing files produced by cameras ?

I used VLC to play these movies in 0.24 but I don't remember why - I must
have had some issues back then as well.

More worryingly, I can't seem to change the MythGallery player any more -
it no longer appears to respect the Video File Type settings in 0.25. If I
copy a camera video to my 'videos' directory it plays using VLC (as
configured). However the same video in my 'pictures' directory always
invokes the Internal player.

I've attached a "-v playback --loglevel debug" log. The "60 Hz Display
Refresh Rate" is alarming (I'm using UK PAL) but it seems to report this
for playable videos as well, so I'm not sure what this really means.

http://pastebin.com/rKBegn3T

raffaele.belardi at st

Re: MythGallery: "Timed out waiting for frames" playing MJPEG [In reply to]

On 05/20/2012 10:20 PM, Roger Siddons wrote:
>> On 05/14/2012 09:05 AM, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
>>> After the move to 0.25 playback of the videos recorded from my still
>>> camera in MythGallery is awful: Internal player plays a couple of
>>> seconds, then stops audio and video, then continues, then stops again
>>> and so on. The log is full of "Timed out waiting for frames, and There
>>> are not enough free frames, discarding buffered frames".
>>>
>>> mplayer plays the same files without issues. No problem playing AVIs nor
>>> high quality mkv with Internal player. Live TV is ok.
>
> Yes. I also noticed this a few days ago.
>
> My camera generates MOV files which produce the problems you describe.
> Some of these I have compressed to AVI files (for web posting) and these
> also have the stutter. However other (downloaded) AVI files play perfectly
> in Myth, as do other formats. All these 'problem files' play perfectly in
> VLC and mythffplay.
>
> So is it an issue with MythVideo playing files produced by cameras ?
>
> I used VLC to play these movies in 0.24 but I don't remember why - I must
> have had some issues back then as well.
>
> More worryingly, I can't seem to change the MythGallery player any more -
> it no longer appears to respect the Video File Type settings in 0.25. If I
> copy a camera video to my 'videos' directory it plays using VLC (as
> configured). However the same video in my 'pictures' directory always
> invokes the Internal player.
>
> I've attached a "-v playback --loglevel debug" log. The "60 Hz Display
> Refresh Rate" is alarming (I'm using UK PAL) but it seems to report this
> for playable videos as well, so I'm not sure what this really means.
>
> http://pastebin.com/rKBegn3T

Well, at least I'm not the only one!

Like you I'm unable to specify the player for MythGallery.

Unlike you I was successful re-encoding the MJPEG to MPEG with mencoder:
playback of re-encoded movies is fine in MythGallery, although the video
quality is not as good as the original (but that's a mencoder issue).

I also was using mplayer for camera movies under 0.24 because the
internal player was not able to play them.

In your log there are lots of "Video is xxx frames ahead of audio"
messages, maybe there is a problem decoding the audio? On my camera
movies I think it's 8-bit PCM, mono. I could try to re-encode only the
audio to a more common format (e.g. mp3).

I just noticed that your log contains some errors:

E ALSA: Setting hardware audio buffer size to 6016
E ALSA: Error opening /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/prealloc:
Permission denied.
E ALSA: Try to manually increase audio buffer with: echo 6016 | sudo
tee /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/prealloc
E ALSA: Unable to sufficiently increase ALSA hardware buffer size -
underruns are likely

Could be related to our problem? I'll check my logs also.

raffaele

dizygotheca at ntlworld

Re: MythGallery: "Timed out waiting for frames" playing MJPEG [In reply to]

On Mon, 21 May 2012 08:23:59 +0100, Raffaele BELARDI
<raffaele.belardi [at] st> wrote:

>> Yes. I also noticed this a few days ago.
>>
>> My camera generates MOV files which produce the problems you describe.
>> Some of these I have compressed to AVI files (for web posting) and these
>> also have the stutter. However other (downloaded) AVI files play
>> perfectly
>> in Myth, as do other formats. All these 'problem files' play perfectlyin
>> VLC and mythffplay.
>>
>> So is it an issue with MythVideo playing files produced by cameras ?
>>
>> I used VLC to play these movies in 0.24 but I don't remember why - Imust
>> have had some issues back then as well.
>>
>> More worryingly, I can't seem to change the MythGallery player any more-
>> it no longer appears to respect the Video File Type settings in 0.25.If
>> copy a camera video to my 'videos' directory it plays using VLC (as
>> configured). However the same video in my 'pictures' directory always
>> invokes the Internal player.
>>
>> I've attached a "-v playback --loglevel debug" log. The "60 Hz Display
>> Refresh Rate" is alarming (I'm using UK PAL) but it seems to report this
>> for playable videos as well, so I'm not sure what this really means.
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/rKBegn3T
>
> Well, at least I'm not the only one!

Maybe no-one else has vain kids (& doting grandparents) that want to spend
hours watching themselves. The dev's don't seem interested in this
MythVideo issue either - so much for the "use it for everything" push...

> Like you I'm unable to specify the player for MythGallery.

I had a quick look at this problem today. This was an intentional change
for 0.25 (changeset) although I can't find the reason for it.

> Unlike you I was successful re-encoding the MJPEG to MPEG with mencoder:
> playback of re-encoded movies is fine in MythGallery, although the video
> quality is not as good as the original (but that's a mencoder issue).

I presumed there would be some way of processing them but I'm not going
to re-encode 300 films just so that I can use Myth!
I was contemplating dusting my coding fingers off to undo the above change
but I'll probably start looking for an external app to use instead. Any
recommendations anyone ?

> I also was using mplayer for camera movies under 0.24 because the
> internal player was not able to play them.
>
> In your log there are lots of "Video is xxx frames ahead of audio"
> messages, maybe there is a problem decoding the audio? On my camera
> movies I think it's 8-bit PCM, mono. I could try to re-encode only the
> audio to a more common format (e.g. mp3).
>
> I just noticed that your log contains some errors:
>
> E ALSA: Setting hardware audio buffer size to 6016
> E ALSA: Error opening /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/prealloc:
> Permission denied.
> E ALSA: Try to manually increase audio buffer with: echo 6016 | sudo
> tee /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/prealloc
> E ALSA: Unable to sufficiently increase ALSA hardware buffer size -
> underruns are likely
>
> Could be related to our problem? I'll check my logs also.

I doubt it. I looked into this a long time ago (0.23?) - it was a common
'feature', I believe. My system has always produced these messages for TV,
videos etc and yet I have never had problems with anything else.

> raffaele

FWIW I've tried several cameras and they all fail to play properly.

raffaele.belardi at st

Re: MythGallery: "Timed out waiting for frames" playing MJPEG [In reply to]

On 05/22/2012 12:29 AM, Roger Siddons wrote:

> Maybe no-one else has vain kids (& doting grandparents) that want to
> spend hours watching themselves.

Same here! :-)

>> Like you I'm unable to specify the player for MythGallery.
>>
> I had a quick look at this problem today. This was an intentional change
> for 0.25 (changeset
> <http://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/9135b216787f9bd5b67089ceca64ece2df9ae593/mythtv>)
> although I can't find the reason for it.

Good to know.

>> Unlike you I was successful re-encoding the MJPEG to MPEG with mencoder:
>> playback of re-encoded movies is fine in MythGallery, although the video
>> quality is not as good as the original (but that's a mencoder issue).
>
> I presumed there would be some way of processing them but I'm not going
> to re-encode 300 films just so that I can use Myth!

One easy solution would be to move the camera movies under the Video
directory where the alternative player configuration is honoured.

>> In your log there are lots of "Video is xxx frames ahead of audio"
>> messages, maybe there is a problem decoding the audio? On my camera
>> movies I think it's 8-bit PCM, mono. I could try to re-encode only the
>> audio to a more common format (e.g. mp3).

I did some more experiment, re-encoding MJEPG to MPEG, PCM to MP3 and
MJPEG/PCM to MPEG/MP3. Whenever I re-encode the video MythGallery plays
it fine. It seems that PCM audio is not the issue, instead MJPEG is.

nick.rout at gmail

Re: MythGallery: "Timed out waiting for frames" playing MJPEG [In reply to]

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Roger Siddons

>> Like you I'm unable to specify the player for MythGallery.
>>

> I had a quick look at this problem today. This was an intentional change for
> 0.25 (changeset) although I can't find the reason for it.

Possibly part of the general move towards Internal for all video.

dizygotheca at ntlworld

Re: MythGallery: "Timed out waiting for frames" playing MJPEG [In reply to]

On Tue, 22 May 2012 07:05:28 +0100, Raffaele BELARDI
<raffaele.belardi [at] st> wrote:

> One easy solution would be to move the camera movies under the Video
> directory where the alternative player configuration is honoured.

This is unacceptable to me - it clutters up the videos and loses the
chronology of camera pics/movies.

I've been investigating external apps and this seems to be a common
failing in linux-land - there's plenty of image viewers & video players
but few try to handle both.

I'm going to use xbmc (invoked from Myth menu). It's a bit flashy (I use a
Retro theme with disabled previews) but that's ok for showing photos. I
believe there's a minor issue with videos in one mode but I can browse &
slideshow photos/videos easily enough. And it works!

Regarding Myth, I suppose we should raise a trac ticket and see what
happens to it...