Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Mythweb .25 "does not exist in any recognized storage group"

bruce.ruona at gmail

Mythweb .25 "does not exist in any recognized storage group"

when attempting to open any ASX or direct download, I'm unable to view and
receive an on-screen error:
[some MPG file name ] does not exist in any recognized storage group for
this host

currently running MythTV-fixes .25 on Fedora 16-64 bit running a single
BE/FE and on a completely fresh build of both OS and Myth.

I have a 2 TB Drive mounted as MythTV under the "Media" directory, and my
default storage group contains one directory "/media/MythTV/recordings"

Permissions on MythTv and the recordings directory are correct
(mythtv:mythtv) I've even tried modd'ing to 777 with no change.

I can record and watch programs on the FE.

I've googled this and I see many solutions for this for Video and Music,
but not for the recorded programs?

mikep at randomtraveller

Re: Mythweb .25 "does not exist in any recognized storage group" [In reply to]

On 12/05/12 12:56, Bruce Ruona wrote:
> when attempting to open any ASX or direct download, I'm unable to view and
> receive an on-screen error:
> [some MPG file name ] does not exist in any recognized storage group for
> this host
>
> currently running MythTV-fixes .25 on Fedora 16-64 bit running a single
> BE/FE and on a completely fresh build of both OS and Myth.
>
> I have a 2 TB Drive mounted as MythTV under the "Media" directory, and my
> default storage group contains one directory "/media/MythTV/recordings"
>
> Permissions on MythTv and the recordings directory are correct
> (mythtv:mythtv) I've even tried modd'ing to 777 with no change.
>
> I can record and watch programs on the FE.
>
> I've googled this and I see many solutions for this for Video and Music,
> but not for the recorded programs?

Small point here. If the storage you describe above is a fixed hard disk then it
should probably not be mounted under /media, as that is generally reserved for
removable media (CDs, DVDs, USB drives, SD cards, etc).

You might find that the OS treats devices mounted here differently than if they
were assigned a mount under, e.g. /mnt. Try moving it somewhere else.

--

Mike Perkins

bruce.ruona at gmail

Re: Mythweb .25 "does not exist in any recognized storage group" [In reply to]

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep [at] randomtraveller>wrote:

> On 12/05/12 12:56, Bruce Ruona wrote:
>
>> when attempting to open any ASX or direct download, I'm unable to view and
>> receive an on-screen error:
>> [some MPG file name ] does not exist in any recognized storage group for
>> this host
>>
>> currently running MythTV-fixes .25 on Fedora 16-64 bit running a single
>> BE/FE and on a completely fresh build of both OS and Myth.
>>
>> I have a 2 TB Drive mounted as MythTV under the "Media" directory, and my
>> default storage group contains one directory "/media/MythTV/recordings"
>>
>> Permissions on MythTv and the recordings directory are correct
>> (mythtv:mythtv) I've even tried modd'ing to 777 with no change.
>>
>> I can record and watch programs on the FE.
>>
>> I've googled this and I see many solutions for this for Video and Music,
>> but not for the recorded programs?
>>
>> Small point here. If the storage you describe above is a fixed hard disk
> then it should probably not be mounted under /media, as that is generally
> reserved for removable media (CDs, DVDs, USB drives, SD cards, etc).
>
> You might find that the OS treats devices mounted here differently than if
> they were assigned a mount under, e.g. /mnt. Try moving it somewhere else.
>
> --
> changed mount point and re-pointed all storage directories to
> /mnt/Myth... and problem still exists :(
> Mike Perkins

drescherjm at gmail

Jul 2, 2012, 5:17 AM

Re: Mythweb .25 "does not exist in any recognized storage group" [In reply to]

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Bruce Ruona <bruce.ruona [at] gmail> wrote:
> when attempting to open any ASX or direct download, I'm unable to view and
> receive an on-screen error:
> [some MPG file name ] does not exist in any recognized storage group for
> this host
>
> currently running MythTV-fixes .25 on Fedora 16-64 bit running a single
> BE/FE and on a completely fresh build of both OS and Myth.
>
> I have a 2 TB Drive mounted as MythTV under the "Media" directory, and my
> default storage group contains one directory "/media/MythTV/recordings"
>
> Permissions on MythTv and the recordings directory are correct
> (mythtv:mythtv) I've even tried modd'ing to 777 with no change.
>
> I can record and watch programs on the FE.
>
> I've googled this and I see many solutions for this for Video and Music, but
> not for the recorded programs?

Did you find a solution for that? I upgraded to 0.25 on Saturday and I
have this problem as well. I do not see any errors in my apache logs.

John

mikep at randomtraveller

Jul 2, 2012, 6:25 AM

Re: Mythweb .25 "does not exist in any recognized storage group" [In reply to]

On 02/07/12 13:17, John Drescher wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Bruce Ruona <bruce.ruona [at] gmail> wrote:
>> when attempting to open any ASX or direct download, I'm unable to view and
>> receive an on-screen error:
>> [some MPG file name ] does not exist in any recognized storage group for
>> this host
>>
>> currently running MythTV-fixes .25 on Fedora 16-64 bit running a single
>> BE/FE and on a completely fresh build of both OS and Myth.
>>
>> I have a 2 TB Drive mounted as MythTV under the "Media" directory, and my
>> default storage group contains one directory "/media/MythTV/recordings"
>>
>> Permissions on MythTv and the recordings directory are correct
>> (mythtv:mythtv) I've even tried modd'ing to 777 with no change.
>>
>> I can record and watch programs on the FE.
>>
>> I've googled this and I see many solutions for this for Video and Music, but
>> not for the recorded programs?
>>

> Did you find a solution for that? I upgraded to 0.25 on Saturday and I
> have this problem as well. I do not see any errors in my apache logs.

I believe that subdirectories under the /media directory are intended for use
with removeable storage only e.g. flash drives, therefore they may be treated
differently than other mountpoints.

Try creating a mountpoint under /mnt, this is where permanent user storage is
often placed. Other possible locations might be under /opt or /srv depending on
your distribution.

--

Mike Perkins

drescherjm at gmail

Jul 2, 2012, 6:31 AM

Re: Mythweb .25 "does not exist in any recognized storage group" [In reply to]

> I believe that subdirectories under the /media directory are intended for
> use with removeable storage only e.g. flash drives, therefore they may be
> treated differently than other mountpoints.
>
> Try creating a mountpoint under /mnt, this is where permanent user storage
> is often placed. Other possible locations might be under /opt or /srv
> depending on your distribution.

In my case all StorageGroups are mounted under /mnt/mythtv

John

drescherjm at gmail

Jul 2, 2012, 6:40 AM

Re: Mythweb .25 "does not exist in any recognized storage group" [In reply to]

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I believe that subdirectories under the /media directory are intended for
>> use with removeable storage only e.g. flash drives, therefore they may be
>> treated differently than other mountpoints.
>>
>> Try creating a mountpoint under /mnt, this is where permanent user storage
>> is often placed. Other possible locations might be under /opt or /srv
>> depending on your distribution.
>>

> In my case all StorageGroups are mounted under /mnt/mythtv

Hmm. It looks like it was a permissions problem.

I just did

jmd0 mythtv # find . -type d -exec chmod 777 {} \;

in /mnt/mythtv

and I now get prompts on what to do with the download from mythweb.

John

mikep at randomtraveller

Jul 2, 2012, 7:17 AM

Re: Mythweb .25 "does not exist in any recognized storage group" [In reply to]

On 02/07/12 14:40, John Drescher wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> I believe that subdirectories under the /media directory are intended for
>>> use with removeable storage only e.g. flash drives, therefore they may be
>>> treated differently than other mountpoints.
>>>
>>> Try creating a mountpoint under /mnt, this is where permanent user storage
>>> is often placed. Other possible locations might be under /opt or /srv
>>> depending on your distribution.
>>>

>> In my case all StorageGroups are mounted under /mnt/mythtv
>>

> Hmm. It looks like it was a permissions problem.
>
> I just did
>
> jmd0 mythtv # find . -type d -exec chmod 777 {} \;
>
> in /mnt/mythtv
>
> and I now get prompts on what to do with the download from mythweb.

That will work, and I'm glad you've managed to get further, but you shouldn't
really have had to do that. Giving world read/write/execute permissions leaves a
security hole that someone might find.

In my case, my mounts are /mnt/<hostname>/myth<n> (with a /video subdirectory on
the drives), and the permissions are 775 for user mythtv, group video (to which
the users also belong).

--

Mike Perkins

drescherjm at gmail

Jul 2, 2012, 7:23 AM

Re: Mythweb .25 "does not exist in any recognized storage group" [In reply to]

> That will work, and I'm glad you've managed to get further, but you
> shouldn't really have had to do that. Giving world read/write/execute
> permissions leaves a security hole that someone might find.
>
> In my case, my mounts are /mnt/<hostname>/myth<n> (with a /video
> subdirectory on the drives), and the permissions are 775 for user mythtv,
> group video (to which the users also belong).

I am be wrong on this however I believe the problem is whatever user
apache runs under is not in the video group. I will investigate that
when I get a chance.

John