Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

0.25-fixes mythmusic "TagLib: Could not open file"

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

0.25-fixes mythmusic "TagLib: Could not open file"

I'm getting this error in a scan, the file permissions are set to read
for the file for all users and I've verified ythe mythtv user can play
the files.
any other reason this error would be given?

thanks!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: 0.25-fixes mythmusic "TagLib: Could not open file" [In reply to]

On 05/11/2012 10:16 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> I'm getting this error in a scan, the file permissions are set to read
> for the file for all users and I've verified ythe mythtv user can play
> the files.
> any other reason this error would be given?

Music files on a SMB/CIFS share?

Mike

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Re: 0.25-fixes mythmusic "TagLib: Could not open file" [In reply to]

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
> On 05/11/2012 10:16 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>
>> I'm getting this error in a scan, the file permissions are set to read
>> for the file for all users and I've verified ythe mythtv user can play
>> the files.
>> any other reason this error would be given?
>>

> Music files on a SMB/CIFS share?
>
> Mike

nope, local drive, xfs

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,

mythtv at sky

Re: 0.25-fixes mythmusic "TagLib: Could not open file" [In reply to]

On 12/05/2012, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
>> On 05/11/2012 10:16 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm getting this error in a scan, the file permissions are set to read
>>> for the file for all users and I've verified ythe mythtv user can play
>>> the files.
>>> any other reason this error would be given?
>>>

>> Music files on a SMB/CIFS share?
>>
>> Mike
>
> nope, local drive, xfs

There was some minor re-factoring of the tag reading done by Stuart
that may have something to do with this. It was something to do with
having both vorbis comments and id3 tags in the same file if I recall
correctly. I'd have to go find the ticket/commits to see what changed
to be sure.

It would be useful if you have them installed to try the taglib
example programs framelist and tagreader to see if they produce the
results you were expecting.

Paul H.

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Re: 0.25-fixes mythmusic "TagLib: Could not open file" [In reply to]

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Paul Harrison <mythtv [at] sky> wrote:
> On 12/05/2012, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Michael T. Dean
>> <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:

>>> Music files on a SMB/CIFS share?
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> nope, local drive, xfs
>>

> There was some minor re-factoring of the tag reading done by Stuart
> that may have something to do with this. It was something to do with
> having both vorbis comments and id3 tags in the same file if I recall
> correctly. I'd have to go find the ticket/commits to see what changed
> to be sure.
>
> It would be useful if you have them installed to try the taglib
> example programs framelist and tagreader to see if they produce the
> results you were expecting.
>
> Paul H.

hrm, I have no vorbis tags.

I don't see where I can get those programs? I have ubuntu, don't see a
package for them, but also a google search doesn't seem to bring
anything up except for a perl function?

thanks!

Re: 0.25-fixes mythmusic "TagLib: Could not open file" [In reply to]

On 13/05/12 05:57, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Paul Harrison <mythtv [at] sky> wrote:
>
>> It would still be good to know that taglib can read the tags outside of
>> MythTV before we start to dig any further. They are part of the taglib
>> source in the examples folder.
>> http://developer.kde.org/~wheeler/taglib.html. Some distros like Gentoo
>> will compile and install them for you looks like your distro doesn't
>> unfortunately. Shouldn't be difficult to download the source that is
>> closest to what you have installed an compile the examples yourself.
>> Shouldn't have to install anything just run them from the source
>> directory after you have compiled them.
> well, this is interesting...
>
> $ tagreader Wheat\ -\ Hope\ and\ Adams\ -\ 01\ -\ This\ Wheat.flac
> ******************** "Wheat - Hope and Adams - 01 - This Wheat.flac"
> ********************
> -- TAG --
> title - "This Wheat"
> artist - "Wheat"
> album - "Hope and Adams"
> year - "1999"
> comment - ""
> track - "1"
> genre - "Pop/Rock"
> -- AUDIO --
> bitrate - 847
> sample rate - 44100
> channels - 2
> length - 1:51
>
> $ framelist Wheat\ -\ Hope\ and\ Adams\ -\ 01\ -\ This\ Wheat.flac
> ******************** "Wheat - Hope and Adams - 01 - This
> Wheat.flac"********************
> ID3v2.4.0, 0 bytes in tag
>
> ID3v1
> title - ""
> artist - ""
> album - ""
> year - "0"
> comment - ""
> track - "0"
> genre - ""
>
> APE
> file does not have a valid APE tag
>

> I've used Jaikoz to tag my music, all with id3 v24 ISO-8859-1, UTF-8 for unicode

I haven't been able to reproduce this with the few flac files I have. I
did spot an error in the way we tested if a id3 tag was available in
flac files which is the likely culprit. There was also a bug in the way
the tracks filename was being stored in the DB which was only confusing
the situation. Both are now fixed in my fork. I also added a button on
the general settings page to clear the music metadata tables and one to
show the file browser to help find the music directory.

Paul H.

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Re: 0.25-fixes mythmusic "TagLib: Could not open file" [In reply to]

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Paul Harrison <mythtv [at] sky> wrote:
> On 13/05/12 05:57, Steven Adeff wrote:
>> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Paul Harrison <mythtv [at] sky> wrote:
>>
>>> It would still be good to know that taglib can read the tags outside of
>>> MythTV before we start to dig any further. They are part of the taglib
>>> source in the examples folder.
>>> http://developer.kde.org/~wheeler/taglib.html. Some distros like Gentoo
>>> will compile and install them for you looks like your distro doesn't
>>> unfortunately. Shouldn't be difficult to download the source that is
>>> closest to what you have installed an compile the examples yourself.
>>> Shouldn't have to install anything just run them from the source
>>> directory after you have compiled them.
>> well, this is interesting...
>>
>> $ tagreader Wheat\ -\ Hope\ and\ Adams\ -\ 01\ -\ This\ Wheat.flac
>> ******************** "Wheat - Hope and Adams - 01 - This Wheat.flac"
>> ********************
>> -- TAG --
>> title   - "This Wheat"
>> artist  - "Wheat"
>> album   - "Hope and Adams"
>> year    - "1999"
>> comment - ""
>> track   - "1"
>> genre   - "Pop/Rock"
>> -- AUDIO --
>> bitrate     - 847
>> sample rate - 44100
>> channels    - 2
>> length      - 1:51
>>
>> $ framelist Wheat\ -\ Hope\ and\ Adams\ -\ 01\ -\ This\ Wheat.flac
>> ******************** "Wheat - Hope and Adams - 01 - This
>> Wheat.flac"********************
>> ID3v2.4.0, 0 bytes in tag
>>
>> ID3v1
>> title   - ""
>> artist  - ""
>> album   - ""
>> year    - "0"
>> comment - ""
>> track   - "0"
>> genre   - ""
>>
>> APE
>> file does not have a valid APE tag
>>

>> I've used Jaikoz to tag my music, all with id3 v24 ISO-8859-1, UTF-8 for unicode
>>

> I haven't been able to reproduce this with the few flac files I have. I
> did spot an error in the way we tested if a id3 tag was available in
> flac files which is the likely culprit. There was also a bug in the way
> the tracks filename was being stored in the DB which was only confusing
> the situation. Both are now fixed in my fork. I also added a button on
> the general settings page to clear the music metadata tables and one to
> show the file browser to help find the music directory.
>
> Paul H.

I can send you a couple of mine if it's of any help?
as well, MythMusic in 0.24 worked fine with the files, if that is of any help

Re: 0.25-fixes mythmusic "TagLib: Could not open file" [In reply to]

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Paul Harrison <mythtv [at] sky> wrote:

>>> well, this is interesting...
>>>
>>> $ tagreader Wheat\ -\ Hope\ and\ Adams\ -\ 01\ -\ This\ Wheat.flac
>>> ******************** "Wheat - Hope and Adams - 01 - This Wheat.flac"
>>> ********************
>>> -- TAG --
>>> title   - "This Wheat"
>>> artist  - "Wheat"
>>> album   - "Hope and Adams"
>>> year    - "1999"
>>> comment - ""
>>> track   - "1"
>>> genre   - "Pop/Rock"
>>> -- AUDIO --
>>> bitrate     - 847
>>> sample rate - 44100
>>> channels    - 2
>>> length      - 1:51
>>>
>>> $ framelist Wheat\ -\ Hope\ and\ Adams\ -\ 01\ -\ This\ Wheat.flac
>>> ******************** "Wheat - Hope and Adams - 01 - This
>>> Wheat.flac"********************
>>> ID3v2.4.0, 0 bytes in tag
>>>
>>> ID3v1
>>> title   - ""
>>> artist  - ""
>>> album   - ""
>>> year    - "0"
>>> comment - ""
>>> track   - "0"
>>> genre   - ""
>>>
>>> APE
>>> file does not have a valid APE tag
>>>

>>> I've used Jaikoz to tag my music, all with id3 v24 ISO-8859-1, UTF-8 for unicode
>>>

>> I haven't been able to reproduce this with the few flac files I have. I
>> did spot an error in the way we tested if a id3 tag was available in
>> flac files which is the likely culprit. There was also a bug in the way
>> the tracks filename was being stored in the DB which was only confusing
>> the situation. Both are now fixed in my fork. I also added a button on
>> the general settings page to clear the music metadata tables and one to
>> show the file browser to help find the music directory.
>>
>> Paul H.
>
> I can send you a couple of mine if it's of any help?
> as well, MythMusic in 0.24 worked fine with the files, if that is of any help

I saw you provided a patch for this, going to wait for mythbuntu to
update their daily build and I can verify it's working for me.

thanks!

Re: 0.25-fixes mythmusic "TagLib: Could not open file" [In reply to]

On 18/05/12 20:41, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> I haven't been able to reproduce this with the few flac files I have. I
>>> did spot an error in the way we tested if a id3 tag was available in
>>> flac files which is the likely culprit. There was also a bug in the way
>>> the tracks filename was being stored in the DB which was only confusing
>>> the situation. Both are now fixed in my fork. I also added a button on
>>> the general settings page to clear the music metadata tables and one to
>>> show the file browser to help find the music directory.
>>>
>>> Paul H.
>> I can send you a couple of mine if it's of any help?
>> as well, MythMusic in 0.24 worked fine with the files, if that is of any help
> I saw you provided a patch for this, going to wait for mythbuntu to
> update their daily build and I can verify it's working for me.
>
> thanks!

TBH I still haven't been able to reproduce the problem with master even
with the 3 sample files you provided. I did spot some bugs while looking
at the code though. Stuart committed one of the fixes but missed another
important one in
https://github.com/paul-h/mythtv/commit/6373313d0c9f0ee5ce2f7d71d2ed2fbaba901cfb.
I also wonder if http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10721 may be
affecting you as well if you have a lot of flac files.

Paul H.

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Re: 0.25-fixes mythmusic "TagLib: Could not open file" [In reply to]

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Paul Harrison <mythtv [at] sky> wrote:
> On 18/05/12 20:41, Steven Adeff wrote:

>>> I can send you a couple of mine if it's of any help?
>>> as well, MythMusic in 0.24 worked fine with the files, if that is of any help
>> I saw you provided a patch for this, going to wait for mythbuntu to
>> update their daily build and I can verify it's working for me.
>>
>> thanks!
>>

> TBH I still haven't been able to reproduce the problem with master even
> with the 3 sample files you provided. I did spot some bugs while looking
> at the code though. Stuart committed one of the fixes but missed another
> important one in
> https://github.com/paul-h/mythtv/commit/6373313d0c9f0ee5ce2f7d71d2ed2fbaba901cfb.
> I also wonder if  http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10721 may be
> affecting you as well if you have a lot of flac files.
>
> Paul H.

I have:
13,972 FLAC files,
69,160 MP3 files,
24, 338 m4a files.

previous to your recent patches being included in 0.25-fixes, I tried
the patch from ticket 10721 compiled in (without your other fixes) and
it did not fix the problem.

I am now currently running
0.25.0+fixes.20120520.b5b4c48-0ubuntu0mythbuntu1 and I still get this
error.

Should I attempt to build the package from source with the 10721 patch
on top of the other patches? is there a gdb trace I can run that would
help give you an idea as to what is going on?

thanks!

Re: 0.25-fixes mythmusic "TagLib: Could not open file" [In reply to]

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Paul Harrison <mythtv [at] sky> wrote:

>>> I saw you provided a patch for this, going to wait for mythbuntu to
>>> update their daily build and I can verify it's working for me.
>>>
>>> thanks!
>>>

>> TBH I still haven't been able to reproduce the problem with master even
>> with the 3 sample files you provided. I did spot some bugs while looking
>> at the code though. Stuart committed one of the fixes but missed another
>> important one in
>> https://github.com/paul-h/mythtv/commit/6373313d0c9f0ee5ce2f7d71d2ed2fbaba901cfb.
>> I also wonder if  http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10721 may be
>> affecting you as well if you have a lot of flac files.
>>
>> Paul H.
>
> I have:
> 13,972 FLAC files,
> 69,160 MP3 files,
> 24, 338 m4a files.
>

> previous to your recent patches being included in 0.25-fixes, I tried
> the patch from ticket 10721 compiled in (without your other fixes) and
> it did not fix the problem.
>
> I am now currently running
> 0.25.0+fixes.20120520.b5b4c48-0ubuntu0mythbuntu1 and I still get this
> error.
>
> Should I attempt to build the package from source with the 10721 patch
> on top of the other patches? is there a gdb trace I can run that would
> help give you an idea as to what is going on?

I've compiled the patch from 10721 into 0.25-fixes and it does not
solve my issue of

TagLib: Could not open file

as an experiment I placed only some of my files in the scan directory
and it seems to work, so it does look like an issue with the number of
files, but for some reason this patch is not solving it for me?

Re: 0.25-fixes mythmusic "TagLib: Could not open file" [In reply to]

On 22/05/12 22:05, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I have:
>> 13,972 FLAC files,
>> 69,160 MP3 files,
>> 24, 338 m4a files.
>>

>> previous to your recent patches being included in 0.25-fixes, I tried
>> the patch from ticket 10721 compiled in (without your other fixes) and
>> it did not fix the problem.
>>
>> I am now currently running
>> 0.25.0+fixes.20120520.b5b4c48-0ubuntu0mythbuntu1 and I still get this
>> error.
>>
>> Should I attempt to build the package from source with the 10721 patch
>> on top of the other patches? is there a gdb trace I can run that would
>> help give you an idea as to what is going on?
> I've compiled the patch from 10721 into 0.25-fixes and it does not
> solve my issue of
>
> TagLib: Could not open file
>
> as an experiment I placed only some of my files in the scan directory
> and it seems to work, so it does look like an issue with the number of
> files, but for some reason this patch is not solving it for me?

Sorry very busy with other projects to spend much time looking into
this. If you run with -v file does it show anything interesting? Is that
the exact error message? A quick git grep didn't come back with anything
in master showing where that error is coming from. Stuart Morgan wrote
most of the taglib stuff so he is the best person to ask if you can get
him to listen he just ignores my emails but you might have better luck.

Paul H.

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Re: 0.25-fixes mythmusic "TagLib: Could not open file" [In reply to]

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Paul Harrison <mythtv [at] sky> wrote:
> On 22/05/12 22:05, Steven Adeff wrote:
>> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> I have:
>>> 13,972 FLAC files,
>>> 69,160 MP3 files,
>>> 24, 338 m4a files.
>>>

>>> previous to your recent patches being included in 0.25-fixes, I tried
>>> the patch from ticket 10721 compiled in (without your other fixes) and
>>> it did not fix the problem.
>>>
>>> I am now currently running
>>> 0.25.0+fixes.20120520.b5b4c48-0ubuntu0mythbuntu1 and I still get this
>>> error.
>>>
>>> Should I attempt to build the package from source with the 10721 patch
>>> on top of the other patches? is there a gdb trace I can run that would
>>> help give you an idea as to what is going on?
>> I've compiled the patch from 10721 into 0.25-fixes and it does not
>> solve my issue of
>>
>> TagLib: Could not open file
>>
>> as an experiment I placed only some of my files in the scan directory
>> and it seems to work, so it does look like an issue with the number of
>> files, but for some reason this patch is not solving it for me?
>>

> Sorry very busy with other projects to spend much time looking into
> this. If you run with -v file does it show anything interesting? Is that
> the exact error message? A quick git grep didn't come back with anything
> in master showing where that error is coming from. Stuart Morgan wrote
> most of the taglib stuff so he is the best person to ask if you can get
> him to listen he just ignores my emails but you might have better luck.

Stuart,

I hope CC'ing you is not a bother.

I'm trying to figure out why I still have issues scanning my library
even with patch 10721 compiled in and installed.

I get these errors:

2012-05-22 19:31:06.418422 I Reading metadata from /MythTV/music/My
CDs/Various Artists/Savoy Nu Groove Sampler, Volume 2/02 - Saint
Etienne - Savoy Nu Groove Sampler, Volume 2 - Stars Above Us.flac
2012-05-22 19:31:06.418554 E Could not open file: /MythTV/music/My
CDs/Various Artists/Savoy Nu Groove Sampler, Volume 2/02 - Saint
Etienne - Savoy Nu Groove Sampler, Volume 2 - Stars Above Us.flac
TagLib: Could not open file /MythTV/music/My CDs/Various Artists/Savoy
Nu Groove Sampler, Volume 2/03 - Mudfoot Jones - Savoy Nu Groove
Sampler, Volume 2 - Gotta Hold On.flac
TagLib: Could not open file /MythTV/music/My CDs/Various Artists/Savoy
Nu Groove Sampler, Volume 2/03 - Mudfoot Jones - Savoy Nu Groove
Sampler, Volume 2 - Gotta Hold On.flac
TagLib: Could not open file /MythTV/music/My CDs/Various Artists/Savoy
Nu Groove Sampler, Volume 2/04 - Cal Tjader - Savoy Nu Groove Sampler,
Volume 2 - Minority.flac

and generally, eventually the frontend will crash as well.

Let me know what I can provide, your help is much appreciated!