Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

0.25fixes: mythtshutdown --status does not recognize recordings

dargllun at googlemail

0.25fixes: mythtshutdown --status does not recognize recordings

Hi,

seems like there's a regression in 0.25fixes: when there is an ongoing
recording, mythshutdown --status or --check won't return a status code
of 8, but 0. Running it through "-v all" doesn't reveal any errors.
Could anyone confirm this please?

--
Regards
greg

martin.ginkel at googlemail

Re: 0.25fixes: mythtshutdown --status does not recognize recordings [In reply to]

2012/5/11 Greg G. <dargllun [at] googlemail>:
> seems like there's a regression in 0.25fixes: when there is an ongoing
> recording, mythshutdown --status or --check won't return a status code
> of 8, but 0. Running it through "-v all" doesn't reveal any errors.
> Could anyone confirm this please?

So far this seems to work for me. I'm running Mythbuntu 0.25 fixes,
updated yesterday.

Martin

dargllun at googlemail

Re: 0.25fixes: mythtshutdown --status does not recognize recordings [In reply to]

On 11.05.2012 11:32, Martin Ginkel wrote:
> 2012/5/11 Greg G. <dargllun [at] googlemail>:
>> seems like there's a regression in 0.25fixes: when there is an ongoing
>> recording, mythshutdown --status or --check won't return a status code
>> of 8, but 0. Running it through "-v all" doesn't reveal any errors.
>> Could anyone confirm this please?
>
> So far this seems to work for me. I'm running Mythbuntu 0.25 fixes,
> updated yesterday.

Thanks for testing. I'm running Mythbuntu 11.10 with 0.25fixes from
mythbuntu-repos. Updated the day before yesterday. I have a combined
BE/FE. The issue showed up during a regular, scheduled recording and
manifested itself by shutting the machine down way too early. Today I
tested this by starting a random recording from mythweb, then did on the
command line:

$ mythshutdown --status
$ echo $?
0

Any difference to your setup/testing procedure?

I know for sure this worked with 0.24fixes. I skimmed the source code in
mythshutdown/main.cpp and libmyth/remoteutils.cpp but that code appears
to not having been touched for ages.

--
Regards
greg

John.Veness.mythtv at pelago

Re: 0.25fixes: mythtshutdown --status does not recognize recordings [In reply to]

On 11/05/2012 10:39, Greg G. wrote:
> Thanks for testing. I'm running Mythbuntu 11.10 with 0.25fixes from
> mythbuntu-repos. Updated the day before yesterday. I have a combined
> BE/FE. The issue showed up during a regular, scheduled recording and
> manifested itself by shutting the machine down way too early. Today I
> tested this by starting a random recording from mythweb, then did on the
> command line:
>
> $ mythshutdown --status
> $ echo $?
> 0
>
> Any difference to your setup/testing procedure?
>
> I know for sure this worked with 0.24fixes. I skimmed the source code in
> mythshutdown/main.cpp and libmyth/remoteutils.cpp but that code appears
> to not having been touched for ages.

I'm also running Ubuntu 11.10 with 0.25fixes from mythbuntu-repos, but I
haven't had any problems with my machine shutting down while recording,
although I'm not at home right now to explicitly test mythshutdown
--status / echo $?.

Are you sure the upgrade went well? Are you definitely using the
mythshutdown binary from 0.25, not something hanging over from 0.24?

What does:

dpkg -l *myth*

say?

Cheers,

John

--
John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T

dargllun at googlemail

Re: 0.25fixes: mythtshutdown --status does not recognize recordings [In reply to]

On 11.05.2012 11:47, John Veness wrote:
> Are you sure the upgrade went well? Are you definitely using the
> mythshutdown binary from 0.25, not something hanging over from 0.24?
>
> What does:
>
> dpkg -l *myth*

Pretty sure there. dpkg -l lists only
2:0.25.0+fixes.20120509.7fbcfb4-0ubuntu0mythbuntu3 packages

$ /usr/bin/mythshutdown -h
mythshutdown version: fixes/0.25 [v0.25-82-g7fbcfb4] www.mythtv.org

Also, I'm having one physical card and allowed 2 parallel recordings, so
I have two encorders listed on the status pages. Might this be a problem
(had it that way for years, though, never caused a problem).

Re: 0.25fixes: mythtshutdown --status does not recognize recordings [In reply to]

On 11/05/2012 11:15, Greg G. wrote:
> On 11.05.2012 11:47, John Veness wrote:
>> Are you sure the upgrade went well? Are you definitely using the
>> mythshutdown binary from 0.25, not something hanging over from 0.24?
>>
>> What does:
>>
>> dpkg -l *myth*
>
> Pretty sure there. dpkg -l lists only
> 2:0.25.0+fixes.20120509.7fbcfb4-0ubuntu0mythbuntu3 packages
>
> $ /usr/bin/mythshutdown -h
> mythshutdown version: fixes/0.25 [v0.25-82-g7fbcfb4] www.mythtv.org
>
> Also, I'm having one physical card and allowed 2 parallel recordings, so
> I have two encorders listed on the status pages. Might this be a problem
> (had it that way for years, though, never caused a problem).

Two encoders listed on the status page is normal in your situation, so I
don't think that's related to your problem.

I'm not sure why mythshutdown --status isn't working right for you.
Hopefully someone else can help.

Cheers,

John

Re: 0.25fixes: mythtshutdown --status does not recognize recordings [In reply to]

2012/5/11 Greg G. <dargllun [at] googlemail>:
> On 11.05.2012 11:47, John Veness wrote:
> $ /usr/bin/mythshutdown -h
> mythshutdown version: fixes/0.25 [v0.25-82-g7fbcfb4] www.mythtv.org
>
> Also, I'm having one physical card and allowed 2 parallel recordings, so
> I have two encorders listed on the status pages. Might this be a problem
> (had it that way for years, though, never caused a problem).

Probably not, my box has 4 physical encoders on 3 cards.

Best,
Martin

keemllib at gmail

Re: 0.25fixes: mythtshutdown --status does not recognize recordings [In reply to]

On 05/11/2012 04:32 AM, Martin Ginkel wrote:
> 2012/5/11 Greg G.<dargllun [at] googlemail>:
>> seems like there's a regression in 0.25fixes: when there is an ongoing
>> recording, mythshutdown --status or --check won't return a status code
>> of 8, but 0.

Hi

Try mythshutdown --help check (or status.) I'm using:

mythshutdown --check=1

and it works fine. The ==1 part says 'do check recording status'.

--
Bill

dargllun at googlemail

Re: 0.25fixes: mythtshutdown --status does not recognize recordings [In reply to]

On 11.05.2012 16:56, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 05/11/2012 04:32 AM, Martin Ginkel wrote:
>> 2012/5/11 Greg G.<dargllun [at] googlemail>:
>>> seems like there's a regression in 0.25fixes: when there is an ongoing
>>> recording, mythshutdown --status or --check won't return a status code
>>> of 8, but 0.
>
> Hi
>
> Try mythshutdown --help check (or status.) I'm using:
>
> mythshutdown --check=1
>
> and it works fine. The ==1 part says 'do check recording status'.

Thanks for this tip. It made me compare

$ mythshutdown --help

and http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythshutdown, it seems interesting that
the built in usage information is less accurate than the one in the web.
The tool won't tell me that --status and --check have hidden parameters.

Anyway it helped, the following input was made with an ongoing recording:

$ mythshutdown --check; echo $?
0
$ mythshutdown --check=1; echo $?
1
$ mythshutdown --check=255; echo $?
0
$ mythshutdown --status; echo $?
0
$ mythshutdown --status=1; echo $?
8
$ mythshutdown --status=255; echo $?
0

So it seems I just need to specify that extra flag. Yet, I'm 99.999%
sure I did not have to do that with 0.24fixes...

Thanks again!
--
Regards
greg

keemllib at gmail

Re: 0.25fixes: mythtshutdown --status does not recognize recordings [In reply to]

On 05/11/2012 10:29 AM, Greg G. wrote:
> So it seems I just need to specify that extra flag. Yet, I'm 99.999%
> sure I did not have to do that with 0.24fixes...

Make that 100%. This was just posted on the -commit list:

http://code.mythtv.org/cgit/mythtv/commit/?id=50e9b0f

Thanks to natanojl and wagnerrp on the -dev channel.

--
Bill