Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Can't see my tuner card?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

batshua at gmail

Re: Can't see my tuner card? [In reply to]

Since then I downloaded and installed V4L and it now shows up in lspci.

Of course, NOW I can't find channels … (dvbscan is saying "Failed to open
frontend").

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 2:41 AM, Simon Hobson <linux [at] thehobsons>wrote:

> Igor Cicimov wrote:
>
>> Your card is definitely not recognized by the kernel. Looks like lots of
>> people have problems with this card especially with the newer versions that
>> are actually 1255 not 1250. read this:
>>
>> http://www.mythtvtalk.com/**installation-issue-wintv-hvr-**1250-a-13951/<http://www.mythtvtalk.com/installation-issue-wintv-hvr-1250-a-13951/>
>>

> That is for a different problem - it is *NOT* relevant to the OPs problem.
>
> From the opening post in that forum thread :
>
>> - and when: sudo lspci
>> I get:
>> 03:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. Hauppauge
>> Inc. HDPVR-1250 model 1196 (rev 04)
>>

> The OP in this thread does not get anything from lspci.
>
> So far he's determined that his card is not recognised in his system - in
> any available slot. Since it's recognised in a friend's system, that
> suggests the card is working.
> I'd suggest the next step is to try a different card (any card, not
> specifically a tuner) in his system to make sure the slot itself is working.
>

> --
> Simon Hobson
>
> Visit http://www.**magpiesnestpublishing.co.uk/<http://www.magpiesnestpublishing.co.uk/>for books by acclaimed
> author Gladys Hobson. Novels - poetry - short stories - ideal as
> Christmas stocking fillers. Some available as e-books.

batshua at gmail

Re: Can't see my tuner card? [In reply to]

Just to confirm I did this right, this is what lspci gives me:

03:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23887/8 PCIe
Broadcast Audio and Video Decoder with 3D Comb (rev 04)
Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. Device 2259
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 18
Region 0: Memory at f7800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: cx23885
Kernel modules: cx23885

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Batshua bat Yehonatan <batshua [at] gmail>wrote:

> Since then I downloaded and installed V4L and it now shows up in lspci.
>
> Of course, NOW I can't find channels … (dvbscan is saying "Failed to open
> frontend").
>
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 2:41 AM, Simon Hobson <linux [at] thehobsons>wrote:
>
>> Igor Cicimov wrote:
>>
>>> Your card is definitely not recognized by the kernel. Looks like lots of
>>> people have problems with this card especially with the newer versions that
>>> are actually 1255 not 1250. read this:
>>>
>>> http://www.mythtvtalk.com/**installation-issue-wintv-hvr-**1250-a-13951/<http://www.mythtvtalk.com/installation-issue-wintv-hvr-1250-a-13951/>
>>>

>> That is for a different problem - it is *NOT* relevant to the OPs problem.
>>
>> From the opening post in that forum thread :
>>
>>> - and when: sudo lspci
>>> I get:
>>> 03:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. Hauppauge
>>> Inc. HDPVR-1250 model 1196 (rev 04)
>>>

>> The OP in this thread does not get anything from lspci.
>>
>> So far he's determined that his card is not recognised in his system - in
>> any available slot. Since it's recognised in a friend's system, that
>> suggests the card is working.
>> I'd suggest the next step is to try a different card (any card, not
>> specifically a tuner) in his system to make sure the slot itself is working.
>>

>> --
>> Simon Hobson
>>
>> Visit http://www.**magpiesnestpublishing.co.uk/<http://www.magpiesnestpublishing.co.uk/>for books by acclaimed
>> author Gladys Hobson. Novels - poetry - short stories - ideal as
>> Christmas stocking fillers. Some available as e-books.

icicimov at gmail

Re: Can't see my tuner card? [In reply to]

Is the mythtv user in the video group? If not add him.

Re: Can't see my tuner card? [In reply to]

I don't think I *have* a mythtv user. At least, I don't see one in my Users
Settings. Do I need to create a custom user named mythtv?

Re: Can't see my tuner card? [In reply to]

The user you are running the mythtv under. It doesnt have to be mythtv.

mikep at randomtraveller

Re: Can't see my tuner card? [In reply to]

On 14/05/12 13:24, Batshua bat Yehonatan wrote:
> I don't think I *have* a mythtv user. At least, I don't see one in my Users
> Settings. Do I need to create a custom user named mythtv?

Please bottom post. It's quite hard to follow this conversation otherwise. It
would also help if you trimmed the signature the mailing list places at the
bottom each time.

To answer your question: if you installed mythtv as a distro package then the
mythtv user is likely classified as a 'system' one. This means you won't see it
just doing a list of users. There'll be a way of showing system users, often as
a menu option.

--

Mike Perkins

batshua at gmail

Re: Can't see my tuner card? [In reply to]

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Mike Perkins <mikep [at] randomtraveller
> wrote:

> On 14/05/12 13:24, Batshua bat Yehonatan wrote:
>
>> I don't think I *have* a mythtv user. At least, I don't see one in my
>> Users
>> Settings. Do I need to create a custom user named mythtv?
>>
>> Please bottom post. It's quite hard to follow this conversation
> otherwise. It would also help if you trimmed the signature the mailing list
> places at the bottom each time.
>
> To answer your question: if you installed mythtv as a distro package then
> the mythtv user is likely classified as a 'system' one. This means you
> won't see it just doing a list of users. There'll be a way of showing
> system users, often as a menu option.

The User Settings program doesn't appear to have a menu option or a secret
way to see the system users, as far as I can tell. I'm already a member of
the video group, too…

icicimov at gmail

Re: Can't see my tuner card? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Batshua bat Yehonatan <batshua [at] gmail>wrote:

> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Mike Perkins <
> mikep [at] randomtraveller> wrote:
>
>> On 14/05/12 13:24, Batshua bat Yehonatan wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think I *have* a mythtv user. At least, I don't see one in my
>>> Users
>>> Settings. Do I need to create a custom user named mythtv?
>>>
>>> Please bottom post. It's quite hard to follow this conversation
>> otherwise. It would also help if you trimmed the signature the mailing list
>> places at the bottom each time.
>>
>> To answer your question: if you installed mythtv as a distro package then
>> the mythtv user is likely classified as a 'system' one. This means you
>> won't see it just doing a list of users. There'll be a way of showing
>> system users, often as a menu option.
>

> The User Settings program doesn't appear to have a menu option or a secret
> way to see the system users, as far as I can tell. I'm already a member of
> the video group, too…

Post the output of command:

$ ls -lR /dev/dvb*

Igor

batshua at gmail

Re: Can't see my tuner card? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 2:11 AM, Igor Cicimov <icicimov [at] gmail> wrote:

> ls -lR /dev/dvb*

$ ls -lR /dev/dvb*
/dev/dvb:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 May 14 22:34 adapter0

/dev/dvb/adapter0:
total 0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 1 May 14 22:34 demux0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 2 May 14 22:34 dvr0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 0 May 14 22:34 frontend0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 3 May 14 22:34 net0

icicimov at gmail

Re: Can't see my tuner card? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Batshua bat Yehonatan <batshua [at] gmail>wrote:

> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 2:11 AM, Igor Cicimov <icicimov [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> ls -lR /dev/dvb*
>

> $ ls -lR /dev/dvb*
> /dev/dvb:
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 May 14 22:34 adapter0
>
> /dev/dvb/adapter0:
> total 0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 1 May 14 22:34 demux0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 2 May 14 22:34 dvr0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 0 May 14 22:34 frontend0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 3 May 14 22:34 net0

From the DVB wiki http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Dvbscan

Scanning for channels you can receive
*Note:* If you get an error 'Unable to query frontend status', try using
'scan' instead.

Also try w_scan too. If nothing works try setting more permissive mode for
the device:

$ sudo chmod -R 664 /dev/dvb

Igor

batshua at gmail

Re: Can't see my tuner card? [In reply to]

>> *Note:* If you get an error 'Unable to query frontend status', try
> using 'scan' instead.
>
> Also try w_scan too. If nothing works try setting more permissive mode for
> the device:
>
> $ sudo chmod -R 664 /dev/dvb

When I use scan, it does scan for channels, but I find 0 services. I didn't
figure I'd have a great list of options given that I'm using OTA, but I
figured I'd get SOME channels, maybe, like four or something.

I know finding 0 channels can mean a lot of different things, so where do I
start?

icicimov at gmail

Re: Can't see my tuner card? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Batshua bat Yehonatan <batshua [at] gmail>wrote:

>>> *Note:* If you get an error 'Unable to query frontend status', try
>> using 'scan' instead.
>>
>> Also try w_scan too. If nothing works try setting more permissive mode
>> for the device:
>>
>> $ sudo chmod -R 664 /dev/dvb
>>

> When I use scan, it does scan for channels, but I find 0 services. I
> didn't figure I'd have a great list of options given that I'm using OTA,
> but I figured I'd get SOME channels, maybe, like four or something.
>
> I know finding 0 channels can mean a lot of different things, so where do
> I start?

Start by connecting a proper rooftop HDTV antenna. What antenna are you
using at the moment? Do you have an SD/HDTV at home? If you have and it
scans all SD/HD digital channels then use that antenna.

batshua at gmail

Re: Can't see my tuner card? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 2:49 AM, Igor Cicimov <icicimov [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> using 'scan' instead.
>>>
>>> Also try w_scan too. If nothing works try setting more permissive mode
>>> for the device:
>>>
>>> $ sudo chmod -R 664 /dev/dvb
>>>

>> When I use scan, it does scan for channels, but I find 0 services. I
>> didn't figure I'd have a great list of options given that I'm using OTA,
>> but I figured I'd get SOME channels, maybe, like four or something.
>>
>> I know finding 0 channels can mean a lot of different things, so where do
>> I start?
>>

> Start by connecting a proper rooftop HDTV antenna. What antenna are you
> using at the moment? Do you have an SD/HDTV at home? If you have and it
> scans all SD/HD digital channels then use that antenna.

I don't have access to the rooftop in my living situation. I just have an
indoor antenna hooked up to the tuner card. My TV's HD, but I don't think
it has an antenna builtin… I never thought to check.

mikep at randomtraveller

Re: Can't see my tuner card? [In reply to]

On 15/05/12 07:06, Batshua bat Yehonatan wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Mike Perkins<mikep [at] randomtraveller
>> wrote:
>
>> On 14/05/12 13:24, Batshua bat Yehonatan wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think I *have* a mythtv user. At least, I don't see one in my
>>> Users
>>> Settings. Do I need to create a custom user named mythtv?
>>>
>>> Please bottom post. It's quite hard to follow this conversation
>> otherwise. It would also help if you trimmed the signature the mailing list
>> places at the bottom each time.
>>
>> To answer your question: if you installed mythtv as a distro package then
>> the mythtv user is likely classified as a 'system' one. This means you
>> won't see it just doing a list of users. There'll be a way of showing
>> system users, often as a menu option.
>

> The User Settings program doesn't appear to have a menu option or a secret
> way to see the system users, as far as I can tell. I'm already a member of
> the video group, too…

When all else fails:

# cat /etc/passwd

or even:

# grep mythtv /etc/passwd

--

Mike Perkins

linux at thehobsons

Re: Can't see my tuner card? [In reply to]

Batshua bat Yehonatan wrote:

>I don't have access to the rooftop in my living
>situation. I just have an indoor antenna hooked
>up to the tuner card. My TV's HD, but I don't
>think it has an antenna builtinŠ I never thought
>to check.

Other than portables, I've never seen a TV with antenna built in.

The first thing you need to do is *prove* that
you are in fact getting a signal at teh
connection you are putting into your tuner card.
That means taking a TV to that location, putting
the same plug from the same cable into the TV
instead of the tuner card - and checking that you
can get at least one channel.

Then double check that the pin isn't bent on
either the plug or the socket on the card and
reconnect that cable to the card. AT this point,
you now know that there is a signal and if you
don't detect anything with a scan then either the
card or the supporting software is faulty.

Of course, if you can't get anything on the TV, you need to fix that !

--
Simon Hobson

batshua at gmail

Re: Can't see my tuner card? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 7:01 AM, Simon Hobson <linux [at] thehobsons>wrote:

> Batshua bat Yehonatan wrote:
>
> I don't have access to the rooftop in my living situation. I just have an
>> indoor antenna hooked up to the tuner card. My TV's HD, but I don't think
>> it has an antenna builtinÅ  I never thought to check.
>>

> Other than portables, I've never seen a TV with antenna built in.
>
> The first thing you need to do is *prove* that you are in fact getting a
> signal at teh connection you are putting into your tuner card. That means
> taking a TV to that location, putting the same plug from the same cable
> into the TV instead of the tuner card - and checking that you can get at
> least one channel.
>
> Then double check that the pin isn't bent on either the plug or the socket
> on the card and reconnect that cable to the card. AT this point, you now
> know that there is a signal and if you don't detect anything with a scan
> then either the card or the supporting software is faulty.
>
> Of course, if you can't get anything on the TV, you need to fix that !

The pin IS a little wonky on one end, but with coax, doesn't it by nature
force the pin into the right position?

I scanned for channels on the TV with the antenna and found none, but some
were black and some were snowy. Does that tell us anything useful?

A friend of mine has a different antenna we're going to try next; I am not
optimistic that my landlord will be helpful with the antenna situation, so
if I don't have to involve him that's best.

jharbestonus at gmail

Re: Can't see my tuner card? [In reply to]