I wonder how they will detect the commercials. I find the myth
commercial detection problematic (US/Comcast/HDHomerun Prime).

support at drdos

Re: Dish to Unveil DVR Commercial Zapper [In reply to]

>> I wonder how they will detect the commercials.

My guess would be, that since they know exactly when the commercial will air and the exact length, their DVR programming will be able to take that into account.

Doug

--
Ben Franklin quote:

zarthan at gmail

Re: Dish to Unveil DVR Commercial Zapper [In reply to]

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Doug Lytle <support [at] drdos> wrote:

> >> I wonder how they will detect the commercials.
>
> My guess would be, that since they know exactly when the commercial will
> air and the exact length, their DVR programming will be able to take that
> into account.
>
> Also since this is delayed for several hours that it could easily be done
manually and the skiplist downloaded.

mitchell.gore at gmail

Re: Dish to Unveil DVR Commercial Zapper [In reply to]

I'm pretty surprised that the content providers are okay with this....its
one thing for a user to do it but another for the provider to.

Mitchell

rob at davis-family

Re: Dish to Unveil DVR Commercial Zapper [In reply to]

On 2012-05-10 11:13, Zarthan South wrote:

>> My guess would be, that since they know exactly when the commercial
>> will air and the exact length, their DVR programming will be able to
>> take that into account.
>
> Also since this is delayed for several hours that it could easily be
> done manually and the skiplist downloaded.

I work for a TV Station, we don't even really know when the breaks will
happen. We know the length of them but they fall +/- 10 mins from their
scheduled time. A report is written afterwards to reconcile the logs
for advertisers, but we are never able to promise specific time.
Multiply that but the number of channels Dish have, then throw in a
bunch of local channels, then throw in different types of breaks,
(National / Local / Promo), its beyond worth it to flag a break. From
Dishs point of view, they'll only care about what breaks they can put
commercials in, not national breaks.

It'll be done in a similar way to Myth.

gary.buhrmaster at gmail

Re: Dish to Unveil DVR Commercial Zapper [In reply to]

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Mitchell Gore <mitchell.gore [at] gmail> wrote:
> I'm pretty surprised that the content providers are okay with this....its
> one thing for a user to do it but another for the provider to.

Follow the money. If the broadcasters believe they
are losing money from commercial skipping, they
will increase the fees to Dish at the next contract
or change the contract to not allow commercial
skipping by Dish. And, as a response, Dish will
issue press releases saying (a) that the broadcasters
are not negotiating in good faith, and threatening
their customers with the unfair loss of
<insert_important_network_show_here>, and/or
(b) that the broadcasters are forcing a rate increase
(to be passed on to all Dish subscribers).

Gary

zarthan at gmail

Re: Dish to Unveil DVR Commercial Zapper [In reply to]

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Rob Davis <rob [at] davis-family> wrote:

> On 2012-05-10 11:13, Zarthan South wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Doug Lytle <support [at] drdos [1]>
>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I wonder how they will detect the commercials.
>>>>>

>>> My guess would be, that since they know exactly when the commercial
>>> will air and the exact length, their DVR programming will be able to
>>> take that into account.
>>>

>> Also since this is delayed for several hours that it could easily be
>> done manually and the skiplist downloaded.
>>

> I work for a TV Station, we don't even really know when the breaks will
> happen. We know the length of them but they fall +/- 10 mins from their
> scheduled time. A report is written afterwards to reconcile the logs for
> advertisers, but we are never able to promise specific time. Multiply that
> but the number of channels Dish have, then throw in a bunch of local
> channels, then throw in different types of breaks, (National / Local /
> Promo), its beyond worth it to flag a break. From Dishs point of view,
> they'll only care about what breaks they can put commercials in, not
> national breaks.
>
> It'll be done in a similar way to Myth.
>
> Since this only applies to primetime shows on ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox and it
isn't real time, the job isn't quite as large.

jam at tigger

Re: Dish to Unveil DVR Commercial Zapper [In reply to]

On 11/05/2012, at 4:04 AM, mythtv-users-request [at] mythtv wrote:

> http://www.tvpredictions.com/dish051012.htm
>
> I wonder how they will detect the commercials. I find the myth
> commercial detection problematic (US/Comcast/HDHomerun Prime).

The trouble with this is that, like DRM, the dear ole USA prohibits 'any method to avoid watching commercials' to the detriment of mythtv in general.

Climbs off soapbox without ranting any further, but I feel any air of this feature is harmful

James

brian at interlinx

Re: Dish to Unveil DVR Commercial Zapper [In reply to]

On 12-05-10 10:17 PM, James Linder wrote:

> The trouble with this is that, like DRM, the dear ole USA prohibits 'any method to avoid watching commercials'

Citation?

> to the detriment of mythtv in general.

Regardless of whether it's "prohibited" or not, it certainly is going to
shine a big spotlight on something we have been (perhaps quietly)
enjoying. :-(

b.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

marco.nelissen at gmail

Re: Dish to Unveil DVR Commercial Zapper [In reply to]

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM, James Linder <jam [at] tigger> wrote:

> On 11/05/2012, at 4:04 AM, mythtv-users-request [at] mythtv wrote:
>
> > http://www.tvpredictions.com/dish051012.htm
> >
> > I wonder how they will detect the commercials. I find the myth
> > commercial detection problematic (US/Comcast/HDHomerun Prime).
>
> The trouble with this is that, like DRM, the dear ole USA prohibits 'any
> method to avoid watching commercials' to the detriment of mythtv in general.

Nonsense

brian at interlinx

Re: Dish to Unveil DVR Commercial Zapper [In reply to]

On 12-05-11 10:15 PM, Marco Nelissen wrote:

> Nonsense

My feeling as well. I noticed that the person authoring that claim
failed to provide the citation as I requested.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that just go about
spouting rubbish with no basis of truth and don't provide any proof of
truth when challenged.

It also never ceases to amaze me how much progress I make getting what I
want when dealing with such people when they are challenged about the
rubbish they spout. More people need to challenge rubbish-spouters when
they told they can't have/do something because [rubbish].

b.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Dish to Unveil DVR Commercial Zapper [In reply to]

On 05/12/2012 08:54 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 12-05-11 10:15 PM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
>> Nonsense
> My feeling as well. I noticed that the person authoring that claim
> failed to provide the citation as I requested.
>
> It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that just go about
> spouting rubbish with no basis of truth and don't provide any proof of
> truth when challenged.
>
> It also never ceases to amaze me how much progress I make getting what I
> want when dealing with such people when they are challenged about the
> rubbish they spout. More people need to challenge rubbish-spouters when
> they told they can't have/do something because [rubbish].

I'd guess the "rubbish" he was spouting was a reference to the ReplayTV
lawsuit, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayTV#Legal_battle . While it
was never concluded--because fighting the lawsuit drove SONICblue to
bankruptcy--the point is that there will almost definitely be a
challenge. So, perhaps a better way of saying it would be, "In the dear
ole USA, lawsuits can be used in an attempt to prevent 'any method to
avoid watching commercials'--and will often be successful due to the
prohibitive cost of defending the feature."

Mike

brian at interlinx

Re: Dish to Unveil DVR Commercial Zapper [In reply to]

On 12-05-13 08:31 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> I'd guess the "rubbish" he was spouting was a reference to the ReplayTV
> lawsuit, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayTV#Legal_battle . While it
> was never concluded--because fighting the lawsuit drove SONICblue to
> bankruptcy--the point is that there will almost definitely be a
> challenge. So, perhaps a better way of saying it would be, "In the dear
> ole USA, lawsuits can be used in an attempt to prevent 'any method to
> avoid watching commercials'--and will often be successful due to the
> prohibitive cost of defending the feature."

Fair enough. If OP's had said "commercial zapping has been challenged
in the past and since the case was never concluded, will likely be
challenged again" an cited, as you did, that would not have been rubbish.

But to posit that it is "prohibited", "like DRM" (inferring a DMCA
violation is how I took it), is rubbish.