Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Re: MythNetvision (Flash) + ION Status ?

 

 

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


trebor_s at web

May 10, 2012, 5:58 AM

Post #1 of 4 (441 views)
Permalink
Re: MythNetvision (Flash) + ION Status ?

Am 2012-05-10 14:23, schrieb Brian Long:

> Hello,
> I have a
couple of ION-based frontends and in the past it was impossible to play
Flash videos due to CPU utilization. Back in Dec. 2010 Adobe starting
releasing VDPAU-accelerated Flash (10.1 beta, I believe) and people were
discussing using it with MythNetvision.
>
>
http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-December/304389.html
[1]
>
> With Flash 11.x being mainstream now and I assume VDPAU
support fairly well-baked, how well are ION-based frontends able to play
Flash sites (i.e. Hulu, Youtube, etc)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> /Brian/

Hi
Brian,

I have an Atom 1,6GHz (330, dualcore) on a gentoo system and
still use the flash version 10.3.183.10. Flash videos from Youtube and
other content is playing fine via firefox or mythnetvision. But I can
only say that for videos up to 720p. I didn't test higher resolutions.


Robert S



Links:
------
[1]
http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-December/304389.html


raymond at wagnerrp

May 10, 2012, 7:12 AM

Post #2 of 4 (427 views)
Permalink
Re: MythNetvision (Flash) + ION Status? [In reply to]

On 5/10/2012 08:58, Robert Siebert wrote:
> Am 2012-05-10 14:23, schrieb Brian Long:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a couple of ION-based frontends and in the past it was
>> impossible to play Flash videos due to CPU utilization. Back in Dec.
>> 2010 Adobe starting releasing VDPAU-accelerated Flash (10.1 beta, I
>> believe) and people were discussing using it with MythNetvision.
>> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-December/304389.html
>> With Flash 11.x being mainstream now and I assume VDPAU support fairly
>> well-baked, how well are ION-based frontends able to play Flash sites
>> (i.e. Hulu, Youtube, etc)?
>> Thanks.
>> /Brian/
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> I have an Atom 1,6GHz (330, dualcore) on a gentoo system and still use
> the flash version 10.3.183.10. Flash videos from Youtube and other
> content is playing fine via firefox or mythnetvision. But I can only say
> that for videos up to 720p. I didn't test higher resolutions.

The problem isn't trying to decode the content, but trying to actually
render the content. The content available through youtube is nearly all
low bitrate, that even a lowly Atom should have no trouble with. That's
why if you download it and run it through a proper video player even
without VDPAU, it does fine. Flash must convert the content to RGB,
scale it to the proper size, composite it with other UI elements, and
flush the whole thing to the display buffer. This is all done by the
graphics card with any proper video player.

Flash has actually been able to operate "properly" for years, but no one
ever used it, because it imposed severe limitations on the UI. Better
to be non-functional than non-pretty.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mtdean at thirdcontact

May 10, 2012, 7:45 AM

Post #3 of 4 (421 views)
Permalink
Re: MythNetvision (Flash) + ION Status? [In reply to]

On 05/10/2012 10:12 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 5/10/2012 08:58, Robert Siebert wrote:
>> Am 2012-05-10 14:23, schrieb Brian Long:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a couple of ION-based frontends and in the past it was
>>> impossible to play Flash videos due to CPU utilization. Back in Dec.
>>> 2010 Adobe starting releasing VDPAU-accelerated Flash (10.1 beta, I
>>> believe) and people were discussing using it with MythNetvision.
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-December/304389.html
>>> With Flash 11.x being mainstream now and I assume VDPAU support fairly
>>> well-baked, how well are ION-based frontends able to play Flash sites
>>> (i.e. Hulu, Youtube, etc)?
>>> Thanks.
>>> /Brian/
>>
>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> I have an Atom 1,6GHz (330, dualcore) on a gentoo system and still use
>> the flash version 10.3.183.10. Flash videos from Youtube and other
>> content is playing fine via firefox or mythnetvision. But I can only say
>> that for videos up to 720p. I didn't test higher resolutions.
>
> The problem isn't trying to decode the content, but trying to actually
> render the content. The content available through youtube is nearly
> all low bitrate, that even a lowly Atom should have no trouble with.
> That's why if you download it and run it through a proper video player
> even without VDPAU, it does fine. Flash must convert the content to
> RGB, scale it to the proper size, composite it with other UI elements,
> and flush the whole thing to the display buffer. This is all done by
> the graphics card with any proper video player.
>
> Flash has actually been able to operate "properly" for years, but no
> one ever used it, because it imposed severe limitations on the UI.
> Better to be non-functional than non-pretty.

Meaning it's the site--and not MythTV code--that determines whether
Flash is allowed to use "Stage Video" (which includes VDPAU
acceleration) or not.

Mike
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


briandlong at gmail

May 10, 2012, 8:21 AM

Post #4 of 4 (420 views)
Permalink
Re: MythNetvision (Flash) + ION Status? [In reply to]

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean [at] thirdcontact>wrote:

>
>> Meaning it's the site--and not MythTV code--that determines whether Flash
> is allowed to use "Stage Video" (which includes VDPAU acceleration) or not.
>

Understood. I don't know much about the server-side of Flash. How hard is
it to tell if a site supports Stage Video? For example, justin.tv.

/Brian/

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.