Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

HVR4000 with DVB-S AND DVB-T?

plainfaceboy at hotmail

HVR4000 with DVB-S AND DVB-T?

Hi - I've been using my Mythtv set up for some time, now based on;

Ubuntu 10.01, myth 0.24.2-19fixes, kernel 2.6.32-41, v4l-dvb-20100517 and
drivers v.1.26.90.0

I'm currently only using the DVB-S and all is fine - pretty much everything
working. Minor problem is that once I have watched something (either
recording, or livetv etc), I have to exit Myth and comeback in to watch
something else, otherwise I only get sound (and a black screen).
However, there a few channels that are only o DVB-T I'd like to have (eg
Dave and BBC interactive 301 etc), but whilst I could use DVB-T on its own,
I can't get them both working together.

I can set up both cards and scan/find channels on both. I am able to watch
live tv on both DVB-S and -T, but have problems switching between them, and
I also can't get the EIT listings to populate both.

For EIT data, I currently have the settings in the backend to do an active
scan, and not open card on demand - and it works well. I assume if I'm using
DVB-S and -T, I should open on demand, and not do active scan, but this
does not seem to work. I've left it on live TV for some time with both cards
installed, but no EIT data is added.

Can anyone help?
I'm wondering if I should just by another card - if that's the only
solution, what's the best/cheapest card for the job!?

Thanks!
PFB

dheitmueller at kernellabs

Re: HVR4000 with DVB-S AND DVB-T? [In reply to]

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM, plainfaceboy <plainfaceboy [at] hotmail> wrote:
> Hi - I've been using my Mythtv set up for some time, now based on;
>
> Ubuntu 10.01, myth 0.24.2-19fixes, kernel 2.6.32-41,  v4l-dvb-20100517 and
> drivers v.1.26.90.0
>
> I'm currently only using the DVB-S and all is fine - pretty much everything
> working. Minor problem is that once I have watched something (either
> recording, or livetv etc), I have to exit Myth and comeback in to watch
> something else, otherwise I only get sound (and a black screen).
> However, there a few channels that are only o DVB-T I'd like to have (eg
> Dave and BBC interactive 301 etc), but whilst I could use DVB-T on its own,
> I can't get them both working together.
>
> I can set up both cards and scan/find channels on both. I am able to watch
> live tv on both DVB-S and -T, but have problems switching between them, and
> I also can't get the EIT listings to populate both.
>
> For EIT data, I currently have the settings in the backend to do an active
> scan, and not open card on demand - and it works well. I assume if I'm using
> DVB-S and -T,  I should open on demand, and not do active scan, but this
> does not seem to work. I've left it on live TV for some time with both cards
> installed, but no EIT data is added.
>
> Can anyone help?
> I'm wondering if I should just by another card - if that's the only
> solution, what's the best/cheapest card for the job!?

This was a bug in the kernel's DVB core code. It should be fixed if
you update to kernel 3.1 or later.

[git:v4l-dvb/for_v3.1] [media] dvb_frontend: fix race condition in
stopping/starting frontend
http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/7387/

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: HVR4000 with DVB-S AND DVB-T? [In reply to]

On 05/09/2012 03:49 PM, plainfaceboy wrote:
> Hi - I've been using my Mythtv set up for some time, now based on;
>
> Ubuntu 10.01, myth 0.24.2-19fixes, kernel 2.6.32-41, v4l-dvb-20100517
> and drivers v.1.26.90.0
>
> I'm currently only using the DVB-S and all is fine - pretty much
> everything working. Minor problem is that once I have watched
> something (either recording, or livetv etc), I have to exit Myth and
> comeback in to watch something else, otherwise I only get sound (and a
> black screen).

Sounds like you're using the OpenGL UI Painter and/or OpenGL video
renderer with broken drivers. Try changing one or both (to Qt painter
and/or Xv renderer).

> However, there a few channels that are only o DVB-T I'd like to have
> (eg Dave and BBC interactive 301 etc), but whilst I could use DVB-T on
> its own, I can't get them both working together.
>
> I can set up both cards and scan/find channels on both. I am able to
> watch live tv on both DVB-S and -T, but have problems switching
> between them, and I also can't get the EIT listings to populate both.

Just to verify, you /are/ using 2 different MythTV Video Sources,
right? You'll need one for each type of card (each "source" of
video--the satellite or the terrestrial antenna).

And, in addition to what Devin said, you should /really/ upgrade to
0.25-fixes. It contains a /lot/ of fixes for Live TV.

Mike

plainfaceboy at hotmail

Re: HVR4000 with DVB-S AND DVB-T? [In reply to]

> From: Devin Heitmueller <dheitmueller [at] kernellabs>
> This was a bug in the kernel's DVB core code. It should be fixed if
> you update to kernel 3.1 or later.

Sounds good - I'll try that!

> From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean [at] thirdcontact>
>
> Sounds like you're using the OpenGL UI Painter and/or OpenGL video
> renderer with broken drivers. Try changing one or both (to Qt painter
> and/or Xv renderer).

I'll try this as well - after the above!

> Just to verify, you /are/ using 2 different MythTV Video Sources,
> right? You'll need one for each type of card (each "source" of
> video--the satellite or the terrestrial antenna).

Yup...

> And, in addition to what Devin said, you should /really/ upgrade to
> 0.25-fixes. It contains a /lot/ of fixes for Live TV.

and depending on what results I get I might give 0.25-fixes a go - had been
reluctant to do so in case things went pear-shaped!

Thanks for help - I'll let you know.
Cheers.