Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Woot Special $69.99 Sale for Dual Tuner HDHR

mache at creeger

Woot Special $69.99 Sale for Dual Tuner HDHR

I just got an email from Woot announcing a sale for dual tuner HDHRs.

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=3a68858914c2d88554ebf27f9&id=7b62573e17&e=1cda8ac88f

david.scott.day at gmail

Re: Woot Special $69.99 Sale for Dual Tuner HDHR [In reply to]

On Tue, 08 May 2012, Mache Creeger wrote:

> I just got an email from Woot announcing a sale for dual tuner HDHRs.
>
> http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=3a68858914c2d88554ebf27f9&id=7b62573e17&e=1cda8ac88f

monkeypet at gmail

Re: Woot Special $69.99 Sale for Dual Tuner HDHR [In reply to]

For those building a mythtv system, I recommend the HDHR boxes. I switched
over from the Haugpage PCI Tuners a few years back and been happy ever
since. You don't need to worry about buggy kernel drivers. The HDHR box
sits on the network and mythtv will discover them during setup and use them
with minimal configuration.

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Mache Creeger <mache [at] creeger> wrote:

> I just got an email from Woot announcing a sale for dual tuner HDHRs.
>
> http://us1.campaign-archive2.**com/?u=**3a68858914c2d88554ebf27f9&id=**
> 7b62573e17&e=1cda8ac88f<http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=3a68858914c2d88554ebf27f9&id=7b62573e17&e=1cda8ac88f>

drescherjm at gmail

Re: Woot Special $69.99 Sale for Dual Tuner HDHR [In reply to]

> For those building a mythtv system, I recommend the HDHR boxes. I switched
> over from the Haugpage PCI Tuners a few years back and been happy ever
> since. You don't need to worry about buggy kernel drivers. The HDHR box
> sits on the network and mythtv will discover them during setup and use them
> with minimal configuration.

The only problem is how much digital is not encrypted these days?

John

aaron at rb303

Re: Woot Special $69.99 Sale for Dual Tuner HDHR [In reply to]

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm [at] gmail> wrote:

> > For those building a mythtv system, I recommend the HDHR boxes. I
> switched
> > over from the Haugpage PCI Tuners a few years back and been happy ever
> > since. You don't need to worry about buggy kernel drivers. The HDHR box
> > sits on the network and mythtv will discover them during setup and use
> them
> > with minimal configuration.
> >

> The only problem is how much digital is not encrypted these days?
>
> John

Depends on where you live and what provider you have. I have FiOS and get
22 ATSC channels from them. I do get a number of MPEG, DVB and other
channels as well, but do not have them configured. My HDHR Prime get's
nearly everything I'm subscribed to (there are a few SD channels that do
not work)

jedi at mishnet

Re: Woot Special $69.99 Sale for Dual Tuner HDHR [In reply to]

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 10:26:45AM -0400, Aaron wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > > For those building a mythtv system, I recommend the HDHR boxes. I
> > switched
> > > over from the Haugpage PCI Tuners a few years back and been happy ever
> > > since. You don't need to worry about buggy kernel drivers. The HDHR box
> > > sits on the network and mythtv will discover them during setup and use
> > them
> > > with minimal configuration.
> > >

> > The only problem is how much digital is not encrypted these days?
> >
> > John
> >

> Depends on where you live and what provider you have. I have FiOS and get
> 22 ATSC channels from them. I do get a number of MPEG, DVB and other
> channels as well, but do not have them configured. My HDHR Prime get's
> nearly everything I'm subscribed to (there are a few SD channels that do
> not work)

If you record any OTA channels, an HDHR might be handy. You an prioritize
the HDHR so it gets used first when it can be used and that reduces demand and
conflicts on any tuner(s) you're using for cable.

monkeypet at gmail

Re: Woot Special $69.99 Sale for Dual Tuner HDHR [In reply to]

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 7:22 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm [at] gmail> wrote:

> > For those building a mythtv system, I recommend the HDHR boxes. I
> switched
> > over from the Haugpage PCI Tuners a few years back and been happy ever
> > since. You don't need to worry about buggy kernel drivers. The HDHR box
> > sits on the network and mythtv will discover them during setup and use
> them
> > with minimal configuration.
> >

> The only problem is how much digital is not encrypted these days?

Get the HDHR prime which uses CableCARD,
http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/

> John

drescherjm at gmail

Re: Woot Special $69.99 Sale for Dual Tuner HDHR [In reply to]

> Get the HDHR prime which uses
> CableCARD,http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/

I will probably eventually do that however it certainly can not be had
for $69 US not to mention the expected hassle of getting the cable
card activated.

John

gravityhammer at gmail

Re: Woot Special $69.99 Sale for Dual Tuner HDHR [In reply to]

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Get the HDHR prime which uses
>> CableCARD, http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/
>>

> I will probably eventually do that however it certainly can not be had
> for $69 US not to mention the expected hassle of getting the cable
> card activated.
>
> John

The $69 was a bargain.

I can only speak for myself but I had zero problems getting my
CableCard activated.

gary.buhrmaster at gmail

Re: Woot Special $69.99 Sale for Dual Tuner HDHR [In reply to]

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Monkey Pet <monkeypet [at] gmail> wrote:
> Get the HDHR prime which uses
> CableCARD,http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/

Your provider will vary as to the usefulness of the HDHR Prime.
Refer to the list archives for such discussions.