Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Why is OpenGL video renderer overheating my GPU?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

eric at lisaneric

Re: Why is OpenGL video renderer overheating my GPU? [In reply to]

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Brian Long <briandlong [at] gmail> wrote:
> Leaving the cover off, as others have mentioned, is not a good thing since
> it reduces the effectiveness of your case fans tremendously.

The truth of this statement varies significantly with the specific
case/fans involved.

Eric

mythtvuser1818 at gmail

Re: Why is OpenGL video renderer overheating my GPU? [In reply to]

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Brian Long <briandlong [at] gmail> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:

> > If your heatsink is hot, that is a good sign the bond between it and the
> GPU
> > is okay. I would worry about extracting the hot air from your case. If
> you
> > could reinstall the cover and check your airflow, that would be good.
> > Depending on the age of your case, you might have an optional fan
> opening
> > on the cover itself (near the GPU). Installing a slow-moving (quiet)
> 120mm
> > fan would be ideal.
> >
> > Leaving the cover off, as others have mentioned, is not a good thing
> since
> > it reduces the effectiveness of your case fans tremendously.
> >

> Thanks. I will look into this. I actually removed the cover because
> of the overheating issue. I would love to put the cover back on
> because it will likely reduce noise.
>
> The mythbox is in a wooden cabinet. There is sufficient space around
> the box but in one of the other cubby holes, there is a stereo
> receiver that gets very hot. I think I have also had a cable box
> overheat ion that cabinet when it was in the cubby above the stereo.
> I will try to give more details on the case see if there is a spot I
> can put a case fan on the lid.

That may be your problem. Is the cabinet open at the back? If not, cut a
hole in line with the case fan(s) to let them blow air out of thecabinet.
PCs are not inteded to be kept in an enclosed space, especially at
the back. All that heat needs to go somewhere and not get recycled back
into the case.

gaberubin at gmail

Re: Why is OpenGL video renderer overheating my GPU? [In reply to]

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Roger H <mythtvuser1818 [at] gmail> wrote:

> That may be your problem.  Is the cabinet open at the back?  If not, cut a
> hole in line with the case fan(s) to let them blow air out of thecabinet.
> PCs are not inteded to be kept in an enclosed space, especially at
> the back.  All that heat needs to go somewhere and not get recycled back
> into the case.

Cabinet is open in the back.

linux at thehobsons

Re: Why is OpenGL video renderer overheating my GPU? [In reply to]

I'd suggest finding an external source of air - such as a hairdryer
that can blow cold. Direct a good blast of cold air across the
heatsink and see what that does to the temperature. My guess is that
it will stay cool(-enough) which would prove that the chip and
heatsink between them can dissipate the heat - it's just that you
need more airflow over the heatsink.

If the airflow is slow, then it doesn't just increase the exit air
temperature - it reduces the mean delta-T (posh speak for the
temperature difference between the heatsink and the air). Heat
transfer rate is highly dependent on delta-T and so having warm air
around the heatsink very significantly reduces it's cooling capacity.

It may need a better fan.

The only other suggestion I can think of (given your space
constraints) might be to consider going water cooled. That replaces
the heatsink with a chip-water heat exchanger and then the warm water
is piped off elsewhere in the case to where you can have a much
bigger heatsink (radiator) to get rid of the heat.

--
Simon Hobson

wepprop at gmail

Re: Why is OpenGL video renderer overheating my GPU? [In reply to]

On May 9, 2012, at 11:21 AM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:

> What country do you live in? My understanding was the 430 is not
> ideal for US broadcasts and VDPAU highest settings. If that is not
> the case, can you tell me what card you have and how many slots it
> takes up (i.e., if the heatsink and/or fan would prevent me from using
> the PCI slot next to the video card)?

USA. I record and watch OTA ATSC, HD PVR and SD PVR-250 content. I have three frontends, all separate from the backend, ever since the day that X crashed and I couldn't recover the frontend without rebooting while my wife's favorite show was being recorded. Very low WAF day.

I have converted two of the frontends to OpenGL playback with Intel Sandy Bridge graphics. The main frontend is still on NVidia with VDPAU. My 430, which is not currently in use, will do VDPAU decoding and rendering with Advanced,2x deinterlacing but with very little headroom. To get it to be 100% glitch free (zero per day) I had to have all the xorg.conf settings right per the wiki and I had to off load the GPU a little bit, either by setting Standard decoding with VDPAU rendering, or by setting VDPAUSKIPCHROMA, or by setting Temporal,2x. Other people have had better luck with 430's, possibly due to higher clock rates.

My primary frontend has a GT520 in it with a two-slot passive heatsink. There are one slot versions with fans. I spent many hours comparing Advanced,2X vs Temporal,2X deinterlacing without ever being able to detect a difference. There are reports I believe from people who could see some differences with sports like basketball, but I never could. Once I decided Temporal,2X was acceptable, I went with the GT520 in the primary frontend because it uses relatively little power and runs very cool.

eric at lisaneric

Re: Why is OpenGL video renderer overheating my GPU? [In reply to]

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Simon Hobson <linux [at] thehobsons> wrote:
> The only other suggestion I can think of (given your space constraints)
> might be to consider going water cooled. That replaces the heatsink with a
> chip-water heat exchanger and then the warm water is piped off elsewhere in
> the case to where you can have a much bigger heatsink (radiator) to get rid
> of the heat.

Water cooling rigs are usually somewhat expensive. It would probably
be cheaper to just get a new video card that doesn't overheat, be that
another 220 with a better fan/sink or a 430 or something similar.

Eric

gaberubin at gmail

Re: Why is OpenGL video renderer overheating my GPU? [In reply to]

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Simon Hobson <linux [at] thehobsons> wrote:
>> The only other suggestion I can think of (given your space constraints)
>> might be to consider going water cooled. That replaces the heatsink with a
>> chip-water heat exchanger and then the warm water is piped off elsewhere in
>> the case to where you can have a much bigger heatsink (radiator) to get rid
>> of the heat.
>
> Water cooling rigs are usually somewhat expensive.  It would probably
> be cheaper to just get a new video card that doesn't overheat, be that
> another 220 with a better fan/sink or a 430 or something similar.
>
> Eric

I went this route. I just picked up a 430 single slot that I thought
had a big heat sink but actually has a fan. In my limited testing,
the card has not gone above 60 degrees and nvidia-smi actually gives a
reading for fan speed. So far, so good.