Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

possible to make mythtv switch tuner in order to accomplish a channel switch?

roger73 at correu

possible to make mythtv switch tuner in order to accomplish a channel switch?

Hello,
I installed mythbuntu 11.10 and set up mythtv. I have a dual tuner card:
terratec cinergy t pcie dual. It was hard getting it to work properly, but
now it is done,
My question is about switching channels while seeing live TV. I have
observed that mythtv does not accomplish an automatic change of tuner in
order to execute a change of channel requested by user. Will explain with
an example:
- Tuner 1 is busy recording. I am watching this same recorded channel, in a
live TV session.
- if I try to switch to a channel in the same multiplex, no problem, the
tuner must not be "touched" and channel change is accomplished. I am still
watching something that comes from tuner 1.
- But if I try to change to a channel in a different multiplex the order is
not executed by mythtv, even if the second tuner is not in use. To switch
channel I have to first switch tuner (there is a live TV menu option to do
so) and after, once in the second tuner, switch to the channel I want.

I have activated the option "use for live tv the less probable tuner to be
in use by a recording" or something like that. I think that the only thing
that makes this option is to use by default the "2nd tuner" when you start
a live tv session, while the recordings usually use "1st tuner". Anyway,
not sure. Someone able to confirm/correct? Anyway, I think this option does
not prevent the situation that I explained before, only makes it less
probable.

All in all, it seems to me a weird behaviour more related to hardware
concepts than to usability. If there is no option I will live with it, but
I am wondering how I am going to explain to my family what a multiplex is
and why it is so hard to switch channels...

So my final question is: can I configure it in a way that mythtv switches
the tuner automatically to accomplish a change of channel ordered by user?

Roger

david at istwok

Re: possible to make mythtv switch tuner in order to accomplish a channel switch? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 01:32:40PM +0200, Roger Rofes i Antonin wrote:
> Hello,
> I installed mythbuntu 11.10 and set up mythtv. I have a dual tuner card:
> terratec cinergy t pcie dual. It was hard getting it to work properly, but
> now it is done,
> My question is about switching channels while seeing live TV. I have
> observed that mythtv does not accomplish an automatic change of tuner in
> order to execute a change of channel requested by user. Will explain with
> an example:
> - Tuner 1 is busy recording. I am watching this same recorded channel, in a
> live TV session.
> - if I try to switch to a channel in the same multiplex, no problem, the
> tuner must not be "touched" and channel change is accomplished. I am still
> watching something that comes from tuner 1.
> - But if I try to change to a channel in a different multiplex the order is
> not executed by mythtv, even if the second tuner is not in use. To switch
> channel I have to first switch tuner (there is a live TV menu option to do
> so) and after, once in the second tuner, switch to the channel I want.
>
> I have activated the option "use for live tv the less probable tuner to be
> in use by a recording" or something like that. I think that the only thing
> that makes this option is to use by default the "2nd tuner" when you start
> a live tv session, while the recordings usually use "1st tuner". Anyway,
> not sure. Someone able to confirm/correct? Anyway, I think this option does
> not prevent the situation that I explained before, only makes it less
> probable.
>
> All in all, it seems to me a weird behaviour more related to hardware
> concepts than to usability. If there is no option I will live with it, but
> I am wondering how I am going to explain to my family what a multiplex is
> and why it is so hard to switch channels...
>
> So my final question is: can I configure it in a way that mythtv switches
> the tuner automatically to accomplish a change of channel ordered by user?

You need to upgrade to a newer version. Many fixes relating to live
TV, including one for the problem you cited, went into the latest
released version.

David
--
David Engel
david [at] istwok

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: possible to make mythtv switch tuner in order to accomplish a channel switch? [In reply to]

On 05/08/2012 10:12 AM, David Engel wrote:
> On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 01:32:40PM +0200, Roger Rofes i Antonin wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I installed mythbuntu 11.10 and set up mythtv. I have a dual tuner card:
>> terratec cinergy t pcie dual. It was hard getting it to work properly, but
>> now it is done,
>> My question is about switching channels while seeing live TV. I have
>> observed that mythtv does not accomplish an automatic change of tuner in
>> order to execute a change of channel requested by user. Will explain with
>> an example:
>> - Tuner 1 is busy recording. I am watching this same recorded channel, in a
>> live TV session.
>> - if I try to switch to a channel in the same multiplex, no problem, the
>> tuner must not be "touched" and channel change is accomplished. I am still
>> watching something that comes from tuner 1.
>> - But if I try to change to a channel in a different multiplex the order is
>> not executed by mythtv, even if the second tuner is not in use. To switch
>> channel I have to first switch tuner (there is a live TV menu option to do
>> so) and after, once in the second tuner, switch to the channel I want.
>>
>> I have activated the option "use for live tv the less probable tuner to be
>> in use by a recording" or something like that. I think that the only thing
>> that makes this option is to use by default the "2nd tuner" when you start
>> a live tv session, while the recordings usually use "1st tuner". Anyway,
>> not sure. Someone able to confirm/correct? Anyway, I think this option does
>> not prevent the situation that I explained before, only makes it less
>> probable.
>>
>> All in all, it seems to me a weird behaviour more related to hardware
>> concepts than to usability. If there is no option I will live with it, but
>> I am wondering how I am going to explain to my family what a multiplex is
>> and why it is so hard to switch channels...
>>
>> So my final question is: can I configure it in a way that mythtv switches
>> the tuner automatically to accomplish a change of channel ordered by user?
> You need to upgrade to a newer version. Many fixes relating to live
> TV, including one for the problem you cited, went into the latest
> released version.

http://www.mythbuntu.org/repos

You want 0.25.

Mike