Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

any way to sort videos by alternate value

ron at ronfrazier

any way to sort videos by alternate value

I was wondering if there was any way to sort videos by some value
other than the title. I was thinking this would be useful for a few
circumstances. Normally, when movies are titled with numbers (1, 2, 3,
or part 1, part 2, part 3) they will sort just fine. However, once you
get to 10 parts, they will start sorting wrong (1, 10, 2, 3). You can
hack around this by using 2 digit numbers (01, 02 ... 10) but that's
ugly IMHO. Furthermore, if the movie uses names instead of numbers
(such as Lord of the Rings), the parts don't sort into the proper
order at all.

So is there any way to deal with this currently in myth? I don't see
one. I've done that sort of thing in other apps I've written, and I
handled it by adding another value for "sort_title". So while the
movie is named "Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King", the sort
title would be "Lord of the Rings 3".

Is anyone else interested in this (or is anyone already working on
such a feature)? I could take a shot at implementing it sometime. Does
the above method sound like a good way, or does someone else have a
better suggestion?

--
Ron Frazier

jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail

Re: any way to sort videos by alternate value [In reply to]

On May 6, 2012 9:45 AM, "Ronald Frazier" <ron [at] ronfrazier> wrote:

> I was wondering if there was any way to sort videos by some value
> other than the title. I was thinking this would be useful for a few
> circumstances. Normally, when movies are titled with numbers (1, 2, 3,
> or part 1, part 2, part 3) they will sort just fine. However, once you
> get to 10 parts, they will start sorting wrong (1, 10, 2, 3). You can
> hack around this by using 2 digit numbers (01, 02 ... 10) but that's
> ugly IMHO. Furthermore, if the movie uses names instead of numbers
> (such as Lord of the Rings), the parts don't sort into the proper
> order at all.
>
> So is there any way to deal with this currently in myth? I don't see
> one. I've done that sort of thing in other apps I've written, and I
> handled it by adding another value for "sort_title". So while the
> movie is named "Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King", the sort
> title would be "Lord of the Rings 3".
>
> Is anyone else interested in this (or is anyone already working on
> such a feature)? I could take a shot at implementing it sometime. Does
> the above method sound like a good way, or does someone else have a
> better suggestion?
>
> --
> Ron Frazier

I have often wanted a menu option to sort recordings by original airdate.
Would that also take care of your issues?

Is that a proper field for movies?

Is the sorting part of the theme?

Jeremy

raymond at wagnerrp

Re: any way to sort videos by alternate value [In reply to]

On 5/6/2012 09:44, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> I was wondering if there was any way to sort videos by some value
> other than the title. I was thinking this would be useful for a few
> circumstances. Normally, when movies are titled with numbers (1, 2, 3,
> or part 1, part 2, part 3) they will sort just fine. However, once you
> get to 10 parts, they will start sorting wrong (1, 10, 2, 3). You can
> hack around this by using 2 digit numbers (01, 02 ... 10) but that's
> ugly IMHO. Furthermore, if the movie uses names instead of numbers
> (such as Lord of the Rings), the parts don't sort into the proper
> order at all.

Don't episode numbers take care of this?

ron at ronfrazier

Re: any way to sort videos by alternate value [In reply to]

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Jeremy Jones
<jeremy.dwain.jones [at] gmail> wrote:

> I have often wanted a menu option to sort recordings by original  airdate.
> Would that also take care of your issues?

No. I want my movies sorted alphabetically, but when there is multiple
movies in a series, I'd like that series sorted amongst themselves.
You could possibly use the date to sort within the series, but you'd
still need some way to identify when multiple movies are part of a
series.

> Is that a proper field for movies?

I don't believe original airdate is, but I'm pretty sure year is.

> Is the sorting part of the theme?

I don't believe the theme has any control over that. And certainly not
to the level I'm interested in.

--
Ron Frazier

ron at ronfrazier

Re: any way to sort videos by alternate value [In reply to]

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond [at] wagnerrp> wrote:
> On 5/6/2012 09:44, Ronald Frazier wrote:
>>
>> I was wondering if there was any way to sort videos by some value
>> other than the title. I was thinking this would be useful for a few
>> circumstances. Normally, when movies are titled with numbers (1, 2, 3,
>> or part 1, part 2, part 3) they will sort just fine. However, once you
>> get to 10 parts, they will start sorting wrong (1, 10, 2, 3). You can
>> hack around this by using 2 digit numbers (01, 02 ... 10) but that's
>> ugly IMHO. Furthermore, if the movie uses names instead of numbers
>> (such as Lord of the Rings), the parts don't sort into the proper
>> order at all.
>

> Don't episode numbers take care of this?

I don't think so, but I may be wrong. If I've got all my DVD rips in a
folder, I want to ensure that all 3 Lord of the Rings come after
Lethal Weapon 4, and before Lost Boys, and that they appear in correct
order. How exactly would I let myth know that "Lord of the Rings - The
Return of the King" and "Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers" are the
same show despite the different names? If there were a way to do that,
then I suppose I could use the episode number to ensure proper order
(assuming that's taken into account by the sorting algorithm).

I took a stab at trying it right now, and it does not work. I set them
all to season 1, episodes 1, 2, and 3. I edited the name so the title
only contained "Lord of the Rings", and put the "The Return of the
King" part as a subtitle. Did that for all 3 movies, and all it did
was put the ugly 1x01 (which I don't really want for my movies) into
the title, but it still showed them in incorrect order.

--
Ron Frazier

jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail

Re: any way to sort videos by alternate value [In reply to]

On May 6, 2012 2:50 PM, "Ronald Frazier" <ron [at] ronfrazier> wrote:

> On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Jeremy Jones
> <jeremy.dwain.jones [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> > I have often wanted a menu option to sort recordings by original
airdate.
> > Would that also take care of your issues?
>
> No. I want my movies sorted alphabetically, but when there is multiple
> movies in a series, I'd like that series sorted amongst themselves.
> You could possibly use the date to sort within the series, but you'd
> still need some way to identify when multiple movies are part of a
> series.
>

> > Is that a proper field for movies?
>
> I don't believe original airdate is, but I'm pretty sure year is.
>

> > Is the sorting part of the theme?
>
> I don't believe the theme has any control over that. And certainly not
> to the level I'm interested in.
>
> --
> Ron Frazier

I see. You are looking for all movies to be grouped in a 'movies group'
together and then sort so that all sequels of a certain movie appear
together and in order, but on the same 'level' as all other movie titles.

To answer one of your original questions: I would be interested in a
customizable grouping and listing much like one can do with mythlink.

It seems this should be a part of the theme to me, but I don't know the
code behind it.

Jeremy

gary.buhrmaster at gmail

Re: any way to sort videos by alternate value [In reply to]

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron [at] ronfrazier> wrote:
> Is anyone else interested in this (or is anyone already working on
> such a feature)? I could take a shot at implementing it sometime. Does
> the above method sound like a good way, or does someone else
> have a better suggestion?

No alternative suggestions for a different sorting order,
but out of curiousity, how should one handle the case
of movie "reboots" (there are now three different
Batman "franchises", with another rumored for
2015; similar examples exist for other movies/series,
and seem likely to continue to grow now that creative
thought has been pushed to the back of the process)?

Gary

ron at ronfrazier

Re: any way to sort videos by alternate value [In reply to]

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster [at] gmail> wrote:
> No alternative suggestions for a different sorting order,
> but out of curiousity, how should one handle the case
> of movie "reboots"

I don't know. I suppose that's highly personal, and for a given
individual may even vary from series to series to series. One person
might like to see them strictly in the order they were released.
Another might divide them by "version number" and order them
sequentially within a version, while others still might order them

So give the following sequence of movies
Original
Sequel
Reboot
Reboot sequel
Reboot prequel

One person my order them 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Another person may order them 1, 2, 5, 3, 4

It can probably get even more complicated then that. For instance,
take the Terminator movies. Part 3 wasn't all that well received. For
part 4 (Salvation), if I remember correctly, the writer's official
stance is that it was written as if part 3 never existed (so it's
really the sequel to part 2). Or maybe I'm mixed up and it was the TV
series that disregarded part 3. In either case, I'm sure you can at
least envision something like that.

So in summary, I don't think there's any one proper way to do this
that could satisfy everyone. The way I was thinking would be generic
enough that you could do whatever you want with them.

--
Ron Frazier

jedi at mishnet

Re: any way to sort videos by alternate value [In reply to]

On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 03:23:35PM -0400, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond [at] wagnerrp> wrote:
> > On 5/6/2012 09:44, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> >>
> >> I was wondering if there was any way to sort videos by some value
> >> other than the title. I was thinking this would be useful for a few
> >> circumstances. Normally, when movies are titled with numbers (1, 2, 3,
> >> or part 1, part 2, part 3) they will sort just fine. However, once you
> >> get to 10 parts, they will start sorting wrong (1, 10, 2, 3). You can
> >> hack around this by using 2 digit numbers (01, 02 ... 10) but that's
> >> ugly IMHO. Furthermore, if the movie uses names instead of numbers
> >> (such as Lord of the Rings), the parts don't sort into the proper
> >> order at all.
> >

> > Don't episode numbers take care of this?
>
> I don't think so, but I may be wrong. If I've got all my DVD rips in a
> folder, I want to ensure that all 3 Lord of the Rings come after
> Lethal Weapon 4, and before Lost Boys, and that they appear in correct
> order. How exactly would I let myth know that "Lord of the Rings - The

Early on, I encoded this into the file names themselves but it is a bit
of a bad hack. This seems to be an area where mythvideo could be tweaked.
A better means to manage "movie collections" would be handy. Although it
might exist already. I've been using my own approach for a very long time
now.

I have special prefixes for Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek,
Planet of the Apes, Dirty Harry, and others.

[deletia]

jedi at mishnet

Re: any way to sort videos by alternate value [In reply to]

On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 09:01:02PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron [at] ronfrazier> wrote:
> > Is anyone else interested in this (or is anyone already working on
> > such a feature)? I could take a shot at implementing it sometime. Does
> > the above method sound like a good way, or does someone else
> > have a better suggestion?
>
> No alternative suggestions for a different sorting order,
> but out of curiousity, how should one handle the case
> of movie "reboots" (there are now three different
> Batman "franchises", with another rumored for

A group name or tag of "Batman" with titles sorted by date
within the group seems to be a pretty straighforward approach
here. It's also something that you could associate with TV seasons
and recordings so that you can find all Batman related stuff in one
place. You could tag images the same way too.

I have a copy of one of the McQuarrie portfolios in MythGallery
so tagging that with "starwars" would make some sense.

> 2015; similar examples exist for other movies/series,
> and seem likely to continue to grow now that creative
> thought has been pushed to the back of the process)?
>
> Gary

raymond at wagnerrp

Re: any way to sort videos by alternate value [In reply to]

On 5/7/2012 10:09, jedi wrote:
> A better means to manage "movie collections" would be handy.

The metadata grabber format now supports a collection ID, as well as
querying collections, there is a `collectionref` field for use in the
`videometadata` table, and the new tmdb3.py grabber supports the option
on the command line. However, that would require the collections from
the metadata source to be amenable to that purpose. At the moment, TMDB
collections are just a clump of all related works, and there is no
support for multiple collections per work.

Examples:
http://www.themoviedb.org/collection/10-star-wars-collection
http://www.themoviedb.org/collection/263-batman-collection