Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem)

stinga at wolf-rock

mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem)

G'day all,

I have the 'it won't countdown' problem.

I see lots of stuff when googling but I have not managed to resolve the
issue.

I have a FE/BE only machine.
mythwelcome runs and will start mythfrontend.

When I exit FE I get the 'myth is idle' message but no countdown.
Nothing else is connected, but how would I check to make sure?

At a bit of a loss really to work out what might be happening.

--
'ooroo

stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga [at] wolf-rock o
You need only two tools. o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it /@ `\ /) ~
doesn't move and it should, > (O) X< ~ Fish!!
use the hammer. If it moves and `\___/' \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape. \\\

mythtv-users at lists

Re: mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem) [In reply to]

stinga [at] wolf-rock wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> I have the 'it won't countdown' problem.
>
> I see lots of stuff when googling but I have not managed to resolve the
> issue.
>
> I have a FE/BE only machine.
> mythwelcome runs and will start mythfrontend.
>
> When I exit FE I get the 'myth is idle' message but no countdown.
> Nothing else is connected, but how would I check to make sure?
>
> At a bit of a loss really to work out what might be happening.

What does "mythshutdown --status;echo $?" say?

I have other issues with mythwelcome atm, maybe worth it's own thread...

HTH
Thomas

stinga at wolf-rock

Re: mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem) [In reply to]

On 04/05/12 20:43:23, Thomas Boehm wrote:
> stinga [at] wolf-rock wrote:
> > G'day all,
> >
> > I have the 'it won't countdown' problem.
> >
> > I see lots of stuff when googling but I have not managed to resolve
> the
> > issue.
> >
> > I have a FE/BE only machine.
> > mythwelcome runs and will start mythfrontend.
> >
> > When I exit FE I get the 'myth is idle' message but no countdown.
> > Nothing else is connected, but how would I check to make sure?
> >
> > At a bit of a loss really to work out what might be happening.
>
> What does "mythshutdown --status;echo $?" say?

[mythtv [at] mytht ~]$ mythshutdown --status;echo $?
0

idle

Re: mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem) [In reply to]

stinga [at] wolf-rock wrote:

> [mythtv [at] mytht ~]$ mythshutdown --status;echo $?
> 0
>
> idle

Looks right. Did you change the "pre shutdown check command" in
mythtv-setup by any chance? This is the command which should return 0.

Otherwise I'm out of ideas...

michael at thewatsonfamily

Re: mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem) [In reply to]

On 5/05/2012 4:35 AM, stinga [at] wolf-rock wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> I have the 'it won't countdown' problem.
>
> I see lots of stuff when googling but I have not managed to resolve
> the issue.
>
> I have a FE/BE only machine.
> mythwelcome runs and will start mythfrontend.
>
> When I exit FE I get the 'myth is idle' message but no countdown.
> Nothing else is connected, but how would I check to make sure?
>
> At a bit of a loss really to work out what might be happening.

Check that you have configured a command for "Command to shutdown" in
MythWelcome settings (Press F11 whilst in MythWelcome). Something like
"sudo shutdown -h now" should do. Then ensure that the user running
MythTV has the access to run "sudo shutdown -h now" without password
prompt, something like the following in /etc/sudoers should do the trick.

%mythtv ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown

Regards
Michael

philippe at vandergucht

Re: mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem) [In reply to]

On 05/06/2012 11:19 AM, Michael Watson wrote:
> On 5/05/2012 4:35 AM, stinga [at] wolf-rock wrote:
>> G'day all,
>>
>> I have the 'it won't countdown' problem.
>>
>> I see lots of stuff when googling but I have not managed to resolve
>> the issue.
>>
>> I have a FE/BE only machine.
>> mythwelcome runs and will start mythfrontend.
>>
>> When I exit FE I get the 'myth is idle' message but no countdown.
>> Nothing else is connected, but how would I check to make sure?
>>
>> At a bit of a loss really to work out what might be happening.

It is, mythwelcome seems to just not refresh its screen properly (at
least on my FE).

Check your backend log.

--
Psychedelic drugs cause paranoia, confusion, and total loss of reality
in politicians that have never taken them.

stinga at wolf-rock

Re: mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem) [In reply to]

On 06/05/12 10:19:24, Michael Watson wrote:
> On 5/05/2012 4:35 AM, stinga [at] wolf-rock wrote:
>> G'day all,
>>
>> I have the 'it won't countdown' problem.
>>
>> I see lots of stuff when googling but I have not managed to resolve
>> the issue.
>>
>> I have a FE/BE only machine.
>> mythwelcome runs and will start mythfrontend.
>>
>> When I exit FE I get the 'myth is idle' message but no countdown.
>> Nothing else is connected, but how would I check to make sure?
>>
>> At a bit of a loss really to work out what might be happening.
>>

> Check that you have configured a command for "Command to shutdown" in
> MythWelcome settings (Press F11 whilst in MythWelcome). Something
> like "sudo shutdown -h now" should do. Then ensure that the user
> running MythTV has the access to run "sudo shutdown -h now" without
> password prompt, something like the following in /etc/sudoers should
> do the trick.
>
> %mythtv ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown

Yes I have a shutdown command and I can execute it from mythtv user.

Should I see a count down message?
Is there anything else I can look at to see what might be happening.

Re: mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem) [In reply to]

On 05/05/12 22:37:03, Thomas Boehm wrote:
> stinga [at] wolf-rock wrote:
>
> > [mythtv [at] mytht ~]$ mythshutdown --status;echo $?
> > 0
> >
> > idle
>
> Looks right. Did you change the "pre shutdown check command" in
> mythtv-setup by any chance? This is the command which should return
> 0.
>
> Otherwise I'm out of ideas...

I have
/usr/bin/mythshutdown --check

If I run this from cli I get a status of 1 'restart idling' regardless
of passing a 1 or a 0

Re: mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem) [In reply to]

On 6/05/2012 10:41 PM, stinga [at] wolf-rock wrote:

> On 06/05/12 10:19:24, Michael Watson wrote:
>> On 5/05/2012 4:35 AM, stinga [at] wolf-rock wrote:
>>> G'day all,
>>>
>>> I have the 'it won't countdown' problem.
>>>
>>> I see lots of stuff when googling but I have not managed to resolve
>>> the issue.
>>>
>>> I have a FE/BE only machine.
>>> mythwelcome runs and will start mythfrontend.
>>>
>>> When I exit FE I get the 'myth is idle' message but no countdown.
>>> Nothing else is connected, but how would I check to make sure?
>>>
>>> At a bit of a loss really to work out what might be happening.
>>>

>> Check that you have configured a command for "Command to shutdown" in
>> MythWelcome settings (Press F11 whilst in MythWelcome). Something
>> like "sudo shutdown -h now" should do. Then ensure that the user
>> running MythTV has the access to run "sudo shutdown -h now" without
>> password prompt, something like the following in /etc/sudoers should
>> do the trick.
>>
>> %mythtv ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown
>>

> Yes I have a shutdown command and I can execute it from mythtv user.
>
> Should I see a count down message?
> Is there anything else I can look at to see what might be happening.

Yes, in my experience, it will say Idle, then start displaying "Shutdown
in xxx secs".
Mythwelcome is not locked from shutting down? [Press M in mythwelcome]
Occasionly I have seen Mythwelcome fail to shutdown on idle, (and
continuously display Idle, restarting the MBE fixed it for me).

michael at thewatsonfamily

Re: mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem) [In reply to]

On 6/05/2012 11:57 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
> On 6/05/2012 10:41 PM, stinga [at] wolf-rock wrote:

>>> Check that you have configured a command for "Command to shutdown"
>>> in MythWelcome settings (Press F11 whilst in MythWelcome).
>>> Something like "sudo shutdown -h now" should do. Then ensure that
>>> the user running MythTV has the access to run "sudo shutdown -h now"
>>> without password prompt, something like the following in
>>> /etc/sudoers should do the trick.
>>>
>>> %mythtv ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown
>>>

>> Yes I have a shutdown command and I can execute it from mythtv user.
>>
>> Should I see a count down message?
>> Is there anything else I can look at to see what might be happening.
>>
> Yes, in my experience, it will say Idle, then start displaying
> "Shutdown in xxx secs".
> Mythwelcome is not locked from shutting down? [Press M in mythwelcome]
> Occasionly I have seen Mythwelcome fail to shutdown on idle, (and
> continuously display Idle, restarting the MBE fixed it for me).

Or could it be this?
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup#Backend_not_shutting_down_when_using_EIT

martin_ginkel at web

Re: mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem) [In reply to]

Am 06.05.2012 15:57, schrieb Michael Watson:
> On 6/05/2012 10:41 PM, stinga [at] wolf-rock wrote:

>> Yes I have a shutdown command and I can execute it from mythtv user.
>>
>> Should I see a count down message?
>> Is there anything else I can look at to see what might be happening.
>>
> Yes, in my experience, it will say Idle, then start displaying "Shutdown in xxx
> secs".
> Mythwelcome is not locked from shutting down? [Press M in mythwelcome]
> Occasionly I have seen Mythwelcome fail to shutdown on idle, (and continuously
> display Idle, restarting the MBE fixed it for me).

I experienced the same problem.
In general: not mythwelcome is shutting down the machine but mythbackend.
(the idle timer sits in the scheduler).
Mythwelcome just shows the state of the backend.

If you want to follow, what happens in the BE:

mythbackend -v idle,system

this will give you messages about the idle timing and system gives you the
status of all external commands, that are executed during the process
(mythshutdown -c etc.)

What I found strange is, that jobs in the queue inhibit shutdown, although the
jobs are all actually deferred for the next day.
(auto-transcode with deferred execution).

I have therefore filtered this status by using mythshutdown -s in a shell script
and ignoring return code 32.

HTH
Martin, suspend and wakeup almost working in 0.25

martin_ginkel at web

Re: mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem) [In reply to]

Am 06.05.2012 14:49, schrieb stinga [at] wolf-rock:

> On 05/05/12 22:37:03, Thomas Boehm wrote:
> I have
> /usr/bin/mythshutdown --check
>
> If I run this from cli I get a status of 1 'restart idling' regardless of

Wrong: status 1 means 'Not ok to shutdown'

try mythshutdown -s to find the reason.

Martin

stinga at wolf-rock

Re: mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem) [In reply to]

On 06/05/12 17:47:17, Martin Ginkel wrote:
> Am 06.05.2012 14:49, schrieb stinga [at] wolf-rock:
> >
> > On 05/05/12 22:37:03, Thomas Boehm wrote:
> > I have
> > /usr/bin/mythshutdown --check
> >
> > If I run this from cli I get a status of 1 'restart idling'
> regardless of
>
> Wrong: status 1 means 'Not ok to shutdown'
>
> try mythshutdown -s to find the reason.

[mythtv [at] mytht ~]$ mythshutdown -?
Invalid argument: -?
Usage of mythshutdown
-c/--check flag (check shutdown possible
flag is 0 - don't check recording status
1 - do check recording status (default)
returns 0 ok to shutdown
1 reset idle check)
-s/--status flag (returns a code indicating the current status)
flag is 0 - don't check recording status
1 - do check recording status (default)
0 - Idle
1 - Transcoding
2 - Commercial Detection
4 - Grabbing EPG data
8 - Recording - only valid if flag is 1
16 - Locked
32 - Jobs running or pending
64 - In a daily wakeup/shutdown period
128 - Less than 15 minutes to next wakeup period
255 - Setup is running

The check-flag comment is a bit confusing to me...

Re: mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem) [In reply to]

On 06/05/12 17:26:42, Martin Ginkel wrote:

> If you want to follow, what happens in the BE:
>
> mythbackend -v idle,system

Dont have system...
[mythtv [at] mytht ~]$ mythwelcome -v idle,system
Unknown argument for -v/--verbose: "system"

Re: mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem) [In reply to]

Am 06.05.2012 21:15, schrieb stinga [at] wolf-rock:
> On 06/05/12 17:26:42, Martin Ginkel wrote:
>
>> If you want to follow, what happens in the BE:
>>
>> mythbackend -v idle,system
>
> Dont have system...
> [mythtv [at] mytht ~]$ mythwelcome -v idle,system
> Unknown argument for -v/--verbose: "system"

Well, its not about myth*welcome* !

mythbackend -v help

to see what your backend supports

mine is 0.25 and has system

Martin

stinga at wolf-rock

Re: mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem) [In reply to]

On 06/05/12 20:38:58, Martin Ginkel wrote:
> Am 06.05.2012 21:15, schrieb stinga [at] wolf-rock:
> > On 06/05/12 17:26:42, Martin Ginkel wrote:
> >
> >> If you want to follow, what happens in the BE:
> >>
> >> mythbackend -v idle,system
> >
> > Dont have system...
> > [mythtv [at] mytht ~]$ mythwelcome -v idle,system
> > Unknown argument for -v/--verbose: "system"
>
> Well, its not about myth*welcome* !
>
> mythbackend -v help
>
> to see what your backend supports
>
> mine is 0.25 and has system

Opps....

0.24 and no system option.

--
'ooroo

stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga [at] wolf-rock o
You need only two tools. o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it /@ `\ /) ~
doesn't move and it should, > (O) X< ~ Fish!!
use the hammer. If it moves and `\___/' \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape. \\\

maillists at whattf

Re: mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem) [In reply to]

On Friday 04 May 2012 19:35:43 stinga [at] wolf-rock wrote:
> G'day all,

Hi,

> I have the 'it won't countdown' problem.
>
> I see lots of stuff when googling but I have not managed to resolve the
> issue.
>
> I have a FE/BE only machine.
> mythwelcome runs and will start mythfrontend.
>
> When I exit FE I get the 'myth is idle' message but no countdown.
> Nothing else is connected, but how would I check to make sure?

I wonder whether you are hitting the issue I had last year sometime:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/496192#496192

You only really need the programs/mythwelcome/main.cpp change.

Simon.,

stinga at wolf-rock

Re: mythwelcome (the it won't shutdown problem) [In reply to]

On 07/05/12 22:17:10, Simon Levitt wrote:
> On Friday 04 May 2012 19:35:43 stinga [at] wolf-rock wrote:
> > G'day all,
>
> Hi,
>
> > I have the 'it won't countdown' problem.
> >
> > I see lots of stuff when googling but I have not managed to resolve
> the
> > issue.
> >
> > I have a FE/BE only machine.
> > mythwelcome runs and will start mythfrontend.
> >
> > When I exit FE I get the 'myth is idle' message but no countdown.
> > Nothing else is connected, but how would I check to make sure?
>
> I wonder whether you are hitting the issue I had last year sometime:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/496192#496192
>
> You only really need the programs/mythwelcome/main.cpp change.

Does not seem to be, I just tailed the BE log while starting
mythwelcome and get...

2012-05-07 23:19:08.714 MainServer::ANN Monitor
2012-05-07 23:19:08.717 adding: mythtv as a client (events: 0)
2012-05-07 23:19:08.718 MainServer::ANN Monitor
2012-05-07 23:19:08.720 adding: mythtv as a client (events: 1)
2012-05-07 23:19:08.722 MainServer: HandleRemoteEncoder(cmd GET_STATE)
Unknown encoder: 16
2012-05-07 23:19:08.723 MainServer: HandleRemoteEncoder(cmd GET_STATE)
Unknown encoder: 17
2012-05-07 23:19:09.136 MainServer: HandleRemoteEncoder(cmd GET_STATE)
Unknown encoder: 16
2012-05-07 23:19:09.138 MainServer: HandleRemoteEncoder(cmd GET_STATE)
Unknown encoder: 17

Two connections announced as monitor.

Good idea though, unless there is something else I am missing in the
log.