Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

HDPVR: Does anyone have one which doesn't lock-up, lose audio sync?

list at mcdermotts

HDPVR: Does anyone have one which doesn't lock-up, lose audio sync?

After using a HDPVR for nearly 2 years, I'm getting a little
frustrated, with Hauppauge. It's clear from google this device has
some issues, and it's also clear Myth use drives a lot of sales volume
for Hauppauge. I get this distinct impression that us, as Linux
users, are not getting the support we deserve from Hauppauge. So a
simple question, does anyone have a HDPVR which does not require power
cycles on a regular basis?

mythtv at blandford

Re: HDPVR: Does anyone have one which doesn't lock-up, lose audio sync? [In reply to]

On 05/05/2012 10:42 PM, A McDermott wrote:
> After using a HDPVR for nearly 2 years, I'm getting a little
> frustrated, with Hauppauge. It's clear from google this device has
> some issues, and it's also clear Myth use drives a lot of sales volume
> for Hauppauge. I get this distinct impression that us, as Linux
> users, are not getting the support we deserve from Hauppauge. So a
> simple question, does anyone have a HDPVR which does not require power
> cycles on a regular basis?

Yes, I do.

I have two HDPVRs. I have had them for 1.5 years roughly. I have never
had either of them lockup or need to be reset.

I had some audio sync issues early on using SPDIF, but those were
resolved with a firmware update. Since them they have been rock solid -
more so than even my HDHomerun.

Michael

list at mcdermotts

Re: HDPVR: Does anyone have one which doesn't lock-up, lose audio sync? [In reply to]

Wow, the exact opposite as my experience. What firmware version are
you running on the HDPVRs?

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM, Michael <mythtv [at] blandford> wrote:
> On 05/05/2012 10:42 PM, A McDermott wrote:
>>
>> After using a HDPVR for nearly 2 years, I'm getting a little
>> frustrated, with Hauppauge.  It's clear from google this device has
>> some issues, and it's also clear Myth use drives a lot of sales volume
>> for Hauppauge.  I get this distinct impression that us, as Linux
>> users, are not getting the support we deserve from Hauppauge.  So a
>> simple question, does anyone have a HDPVR which does not require power
>> cycles on a regular basis?
>>

> Yes, I do.
>
> I have two HDPVRs.  I have had them for 1.5 years roughly.  I have never had
> either of them lockup or need to be reset.
>
> I had some audio sync issues early on using SPDIF, but those were resolved
> with a firmware update.  Since them they have been rock solid - more so than
> even my HDHomerun.
>
> Michael

mythtv at blandford

Re: HDPVR: Does anyone have one which doesn't lock-up, lose audio sync? [In reply to]

On 05/05/2012 11:18 PM, A McDermott wrote:
> Wow, the exact opposite as my experience. What firmware version are
> you running on the HDPVRs?

1.5.7 I believe. dmesg and /var/log/messages don't seem to show this
level any more but it was the last revision prior to the saturation issues.

Michael

list at mcdermotts

Re: HDPVR: Does anyone have one which doesn't lock-up, lose audio sync? [In reply to]

Sorry, I should have asked this before, do you use the internal IR
blaster, or something else?

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 1:32 AM, Michael <mythtv [at] blandford> wrote:
> On 05/05/2012 11:18 PM, A McDermott wrote:
>>
>> Wow, the exact opposite as my experience.  What firmware version are
>> you running on the HDPVRs?
>>

> 1.5.7 I believe.  dmesg and /var/log/messages don't seem to show this level
> any more but it was the last revision prior to the saturation issues.
>

> Michael

mythtv at blandford

Re: HDPVR: Does anyone have one which doesn't lock-up, lose audio sync? [In reply to]

On 05/06/2012 12:33 AM, A McDermott wrote:
> Sorry, I should have asked this before, do you use the internal IR
> blaster, or something else?

I use a commandir III. I had always heard bad things about the internal
blaster and stability so I just went for a safe route.

Michael

acstadt at stadt

Re: HDPVR: Does anyone have one which doesn't lock-up, lose audio sync? [In reply to]

On 06/05/2012 3:35 AM, Michael wrote:
> On 05/06/2012 12:33 AM, A McDermott wrote:
>> Sorry, I should have asked this before, do you use the internal IR
>> blaster, or something else?
>>

> I use a commandir III. I had always heard bad things about the
> internal blaster and stability so I just went for a safe route.
>
> Michael

FWIW: I use almost exactly the same configuration as Michael (except its
been either a Command IR II or an MCE for blasting. Virtually no issues
at all. I will mention that when I feed it from an older Bell Satellite
receiver (I can't remember the model, buts it same as Disk network used
to use) it still gets audio sync troubles, but only through the SPDIF
port. If anything else shares the same usb bus (or apparently even
driver) which is a low speed usb device, then I run into issues (mouse,
APC-UPS, the CommandIR unit, modem).

Cheers,

Andrew.

rick at laity

Re: HDPVR: Does anyone have one which doesn't lock-up, lose audio sync? [In reply to]

> FWIW: I use almost exactly the same configuration as Michael (except
> its been either a Command IR II or an MCE for blasting. Virtually no
> issues at all. I will mention that when I feed it from an older Bell
> Satellite receiver (I can't remember the model, buts it same as Disk
> network used to use) it still gets audio sync troubles, but only
> through the SPDIF port. If anything else shares the same usb bus (or
> apparently even driver) which is a low speed usb device, then I run
> into issues (mouse, APC-UPS, the CommandIR unit, modem).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew.

If I don't cycle the power, via on/off switch, once a week I'll
eventually get the audio sync, failed recordings etc. I'm using my.tv
ir transmitters to shaw direct satellite receivers. Audio is via spdif.

rick

acstadt at stadt

Re: HDPVR: Does anyone have one which doesn't lock-up, lose audio sync? [In reply to]

On 06/05/2012 10:28 AM, Rick wrote:

>> FWIW: I use almost exactly the same configuration as Michael (except
>> its been either a Command IR II or an MCE for blasting. Virtually no
>> issues at all. I will mention that when I feed it from an older Bell
>> Satellite receiver (I can't remember the model, buts it same as Disk
>> network used to use) it still gets audio sync troubles, but only
>> through the SPDIF port. If anything else shares the same usb bus (or
>> apparently even driver) which is a low speed usb device, then I run
>> into issues (mouse, APC-UPS, the CommandIR unit, modem).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Andrew.
>

> If I don't cycle the power, via on/off switch, once a week I'll
> eventually get the audio sync, failed recordings etc. I'm using my.tv
> ir transmitters to shaw direct satellite receivers. Audio is via spdif.
>
> rick
Rick, just out of curiosity, (1) which make & model receiver - I'm not
familiar with what Shaw uses, and (2) have you tried used the stereo
audio input instead? recognize you'll loose the surround sound, but it
saves you from other headaches...

rick at laity

Re: HDPVR: Does anyone have one which doesn't lock-up, lose audio sync? [In reply to]

Rick, just out of curiosity, (1) which make & model receiver - I'm not
familiar with what Shaw uses, and (2) have you tried used the stereo
audio input instead? recognize you'll loose the surround sound, but it
saves you from other headaches...

They are motorola dsr-505's. I used to use dsr-401's and had the same
issues. I'm using SL6.2 for the os.

rick