Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Does .25 still use find_orphans.py

brent.bolin at gmail

Does .25 still use find_orphans.py

Or has that been replaced/included

I find myself running this at least once a week to clean up orphaned
snapshots and occasional mpg files.

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Does .25 still use find_orphans.py [In reply to]

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py says it's compatible with 0.25

> I find myself running this at least once a week to clean up orphaned
> snapshots and occasional mpg files.

However, if you actually need to run it frequently (where once a week is
extremely frequently), there's a serious problem with your system. It
should only be required when you have a hard drive failure (or if
someone is deleting files outside of MythTV, in which case, you should
fix the behavior, not the symptom).

Mike

brent.bolin at gmail

Re: Does .25 still use find_orphans.py [In reply to]

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
> On 05/05/2012 10:40 AM, Brent Bolin wrote:
>>
>> Or has that been replaced/included
>

> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py says it's compatible with 0.25
>

>> I find myself running this at least once a week to clean up orphaned
>> snapshots and occasional mpg files.
>

> However, if you actually need to run it frequently (where once a week is
> extremely frequently), there's a serious problem with your system.  It
> should only be required when you have a hard drive failure (or if someone is
> deleting files outside of MythTV, in which case, you should fix the
> behavior, not the symptom).
>
> Mike

What should the permissions be on /var/lib/mythtv dirs

ubuntu 10.04 .24 fixes

jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail

Re: Does .25 still use find_orphans.py [In reply to]

On May 5, 2012 11:39 AM, "Brent Bolin" <brent.bolin [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
> > On 05/05/2012 10:40 AM, Brent Bolin wrote:
> >>
> >> Or has that been replaced/included
> >

> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py says it's compatible with
0.25

> >> I find myself running this at least once a week to clean up orphaned
> >> snapshots and occasional mpg files.
> >

> > However, if you actually need to run it frequently (where once a week is
> > extremely frequently), there's a serious problem with your system. It
> > should only be required when you have a hard drive failure (or if
someone is
> > deleting files outside of MythTV, in which case, you should fix the
> > behavior, not the symptom).
> >
> > Mike
>
> What should the permissions be on /var/lib/mythtv dirs
>
> ubuntu 10.04 .24 fixes

Like you I am running .24 in Ubuntu which I installed as mythbuntu and it
(I think) includes JAMU. I have a lot of my recordings set to transcode
and hence those recordings get a new extension. I have a lot of orphaned
snapshots everything I run mythlink. They all appear to be snapshots
retrieved before or during transcoding. I assumed that was just a timing
issue and nothing really fixable.

Is this what you are experiencing?
I'm not sure about the permissions. Mine has mythtv as the owner and group.

Jeremy

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Does .25 still use find_orphans.py [In reply to]

On 05/05/2012 12:58 PM, Jeremy Jones wrote:
> On May 5, 2012 11:39 AM, "Brent Bolin" wrote:
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py says it's compatible with
>>> 0.25
>>> However, if you actually need to run it frequently (where once a week is
>>> extremely frequently), there's a serious problem with your system. It
>>> should only be required when you have a hard drive failure (or if
>>> someone is
>>> deleting files outside of MythTV, in which case, you should fix the
>>> behavior, not the symptom).
>> What should the permissions be on /var/lib/mythtv dirs
>>
>> ubuntu 10.04 .24 fixes
> Like you I am running .24 in Ubuntu which I installed as mythbuntu and it
> (I think) includes JAMU. I have a lot of my recordings set to transcode
> and hence those recordings get a new extension.

FWIW, mythtranscode will delete the previews from the original recording
if a) you applied a cutlist or b) if you did a non-lossless transcode,
resulting in the file being changed from a .mpg to a .nuv file. If
you're using a custom script or transcode application that doesn't use
mythtranscode, you should do the same.

> I have a lot of orphaned
> snapshots everything I run mythlink. They all appear to be snapshots
> retrieved before or during transcoding.

snapshots = links?

If so, running mythlink will delete the existing links in the
destination directory and subdirectories before it creates new links.
(If you're using the "single-file" mythlink approach as a user job or
system event, as described at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl ,
you'll need to do as mentioned in the Note box: "*Note:* You will also
need to run mythlink.pl separately to remove old symlinks. See Usage
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl#Usage>."

> I assumed that was just a timing
> issue and nothing really fixable.
>
> Is this what you are experiencing?
> I'm not sure about the permissions. Mine has mythtv as the owner and group.

You'll need to have read and write for files and read and write and
execute for directories (and at least read and execute for parent
directories) for the user running mythbackend.

Chances are that the problem is actually permissions. If, for example,
you kick off a transcode using the frontend (versus a queued transcode
using the backend), it will run as the user running the frontend. So,
if you have different users running mythbackend and mythfrontend (or,
multiple users running mythlink or ...), it can cause problems and
prevent MythTV from just "doing the right thing", as it was designed..

Mike

zarthan at gmail

Re: Does .25 still use find_orphans.py [In reply to]

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Jeremy Jones
<jeremy.dwain.jones [at] gmail>wrote:

> On May 5, 2012 11:39 AM, "Brent Bolin" <brent.bolin [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Michael T. Dean
> > <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:

> > > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py says it's compatible with
> 0.25

> > > However, if you actually need to run it frequently (where once a week
> is
> > > extremely frequently), there's a serious problem with your system. It
> > > should only be required when you have a hard drive failure (or if
> someone is
> > > deleting files outside of MythTV, in which case, you should fix the
> > > behavior, not the symptom).
> > >
> > > Mike
> >
> > What should the permissions be on /var/lib/mythtv dirs
> >
> > ubuntu 10.04 .24 fixes
>
> Like you I am running .24 in Ubuntu which I installed as mythbuntu and it
> (I think) includes JAMU. I have a lot of my recordings set to transcode
> and hence those recordings get a new extension. I have a lot of orphaned
> snapshots everything I run mythlink. They all appear to be snapshots
> retrieved before or during transcoding. I assumed that was just a timing
> issue and nothing really fixable.
>
> Is this what you are experiencing?
> I'm not sure about the permissions. Mine has mythtv as the owner and
> group.
>
> Jeremy

I also transcode my recordings but as part of my userjob for transcoding I
rename the existing snapshot files to match the new filenames. I saw
someone mention that myth does a better job of making snapshots of the
mpeg2 files than it does with mp4 files and it eliminates orphans. I also
move the original mpeg2 files to another location in case the transcode job
had issues and then use a cronjob to expire those files after two days. I
occasionally run find_orphans and very seldom find anything.

zarthan at gmail

Re: Does .25 still use find_orphans.py [In reply to]

> If so, running mythlink will delete the existing links in the destination
> directory and subdirectories before it creates new links. (If you're using
> the "single-file" mythlink approach as a user job or system event, as
> described at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/**Mythlink.pl<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl> ,
> you'll need to do as mentioned in the Note box: "*Note:* You will also
> need to run mythlink.pl separately to remove old symlinks. See Usage <
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/**Mythlink.pl#Usage<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl#Usage>
> >."

Running mythlink.pl as part of your transcode userjob or as a system event
works really well to create just the link for the newly created show. I
found that running mythlink.pl as a cronjob to recreate the links did
occasionally cause issues if you were watching. I now just run a cronjob
every few minutes to cleanup broken links and empty directories.

find -L /tv/Shows -type l -delete
find /tv/Shows -type d -empty -delete

will remove the links for deleted programming.

jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail

Re: Does .25 still use find_orphans.py [In reply to]

On May 5, 2012 1:19 PM, "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:

> On 05/05/2012 12:58 PM, Jeremy Jones wrote:

>>> What should the permissions be on /var/lib/mythtv dirs
>>>
>>> ubuntu 10.04 .24 fixes
>>
>> Like you I am running .24 in Ubuntu which I installed as mythbuntu and
it
>> (I think) includes JAMU. I have a lot of my recordings set to transcode
>> and hence those recordings get a new extension.
>

> FWIW, mythtranscode will delete the previews from the original recording
if a) you applied a cutlist or b) if you did a non-lossless transcode,
resulting in the file being changed from a .mpg to a .nuv file. If you're
using a custom script or transcode application that doesn't use
mythtranscode, you should do the same.

Thanks. I'll look at adding that.

>> I have a lot of orphaned
>> snapshots everything I run mythlink. They all appear to be snapshots
>> retrieved before or during transcoding.

I should not send email from a small phone that autocorrects... especially
when low on sleep. That whole sentence was way off. I meant 'still
frames' or pictures, as you assumed above, and mythlink has nothing at all
to do with anything. I guess somehow in a sleep deprived state I
substituted find_orphans with mythlink.

> snapshots = links?
>
> If so, running mythlink will delete the existing links in the destination
directory and subdirectories before it creates new links. (If you're using
the "single-file" mythlink approach as a user job or system event, as
described at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl , you'll need to do as
mentioned in the Note box: "*Note:* You will also need to run
mythlink.plseparately to remove old symlinks. See Usage <
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl#Usage>."

Mythlink was a red Herring based on my bad incoherent rambling above.

>> I assumed that was just a timing
>> issue and nothing really fixable.
>>
>> Is this what you are experiencing?
>> I'm not sure about the permissions. Mine has mythtv as the owner and
group.

> You'll need to have read and write for files and read and write and
execute for directories (and at least read and execute for parent
directories) for the user running mythbackend.

> Chances are that the problem is actually permissions. If, for example,
you kick off a transcode using the frontend (versus a queued transcode
using the backend), it will run as the user running the frontend. So, if
you have different users running mythbackend and mythfrontend (or, multiple
users running mythlink or ...), it can cause problems and prevent MythTV
from just "doing the right thing", as it was designed..

> Mike

Thanks Mike. I am using a custom transcoding script based on the wrapper
stub on the wiki. It looks like I need to add something to delete or better
yet rename corresponding images to the new file extension. (which is in the
still images name but not it's actual extension).

That shouldn't be to hard to add.

Jeremy

mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1

Re: Does .25 still use find_orphans.py [In reply to]

On 5/5/12 11:06 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/05/2012 10:40 AM, Brent Bolin wrote:
>> Or has that been replaced/included
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py says it's compatible with 0.25
>
>> I find myself running this at least once a week to clean up orphaned
>> snapshots and occasional mpg files.
>
> However, if you actually need to run it frequently (where once a week
> is extremely frequently), there's a serious problem with your system.
> It should only be required when you have a hard drive failure (or if
> someone is deleting files outside of MythTV, in which case, you should
> fix the behavior, not the symptom).

That's not entirely true. Mythtranscode will also leave (sometimes very
large) .tmp files sitting around when it segfaults or otherwise
terminates abnormally, which Find_orphans.py will tell you about and
provide an easy way to remove.

--
Dan Wilga "Ook."

zarthan at gmail

Re: Does .25 still use find_orphans.py [In reply to]

>> That's not entirely true. Mythtranscode will also leave (sometimes very
> large) .tmp files sitting around when it segfaults or otherwise terminates
> abnormally, which Find_orphans.py will tell you about and provide an easy
> way to remove.
>
> --
> Dan Wilga "Ook."
>

> And if you regularly segfault or have an abnormal termination you need to
track down and fix those issues. If everything is running normally
find_orphans shouldn't be needed on a regular basis only occasionally.