compatible with the "remote only" mentality that we're looking for.

http://vimeo.com/21880281

It's the Sonata Music Server software:

http://www.sonataserver.com/

If anything, someone out there who is looking to take on the redesign could
use this as a good reference. I am in no way associated with Sonata or
HDTracks.

eric at lisaneric

Re: MythMusic Revamp Ideas [In reply to]

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Jim Oltman <jim.oltman [at] gmail> wrote:
> I hope I don't start a flame thread with this, but:
>
> I've been doing research on USB Audio DACs and HD Tracks.com and came across
> this software.  It is Windows only, however, the UI and UX seems to be what
> MythMusic needs.  It is an intuitive interface, and looks to be compatible
> with the "remote only" mentality that we're looking for.
>
> http://vimeo.com/21880281

I can't say I'm particularly impressed by that. Sure, it has lots of
slick eye candy, but I don't feel much need for that. The video seems
to heavily feature mouse/touchscreen control with either a keyboard or
onscreen keyboard for searching.

MythMusic searching could benefit from having an onscreen keyboard,
but frankly I'm not sure how to do that in a multi-lingual way.

Of course, the best input method for searching would be voice control.
If only there were more time in the day...

Eric

jim.oltman at gmail

Re: MythMusic Revamp Ideas [In reply to]

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:

> I can't say I'm particularly impressed by that. Sure, it has lots of
> slick eye candy, but I don't feel much need for that. The video seems
> to heavily feature mouse/touchscreen control with either a keyboard or
> onscreen keyboard for searching.

The cool thing about the video is that while it did feature mouse clicks,
that could all be achieved with an IR remote control directional pad, back
button, and the center/enter key (on the MCE USB remote). While the eye
candy would be a welcomed addition to Myth, I think the general layout is
MUCH nicer than what was present in 0.24. I never understood the reason to
have onscreen icons for next/fast-forward, play,pause, rewind/previous.
That just seemed like wasted real estate.

> MythMusic searching could benefit from having an onscreen keyboard,
> but frankly I'm not sure how to do that in a multi-lingual way.

Isn't there already an onscreen keyboard (at least in 0.24 there was)?

> Of course, the best input method for searching would be voice control.
> If only there were more time in the day...
>
> Eric

If only :-) I appreciate you taking the time to look at it. As I said, it
was just an idea.

eric at lisaneric

Re: MythMusic Revamp Ideas [In reply to]

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Jim Oltman <jim.oltman [at] gmail> wrote:
> The cool thing about the video is that while it did feature mouse clicks,
> that could all be achieved with an IR remote control directional pad, back
> button, and the center/enter key (on the MCE USB remote).

Using directional buttons to control an on-screen cursor is really a
pain. The lack of speed control means that the cursor is always
moving too fast or too slow. Remotes that have an accelerometer (as
in the Roku) can effectively control a cursor, but I wouldn't want to
try that with an MCE remote.

> Isn't there already an onscreen keyboard (at least in 0.24 there was)?

Possibly. There may be a setting somewhere that disables it. I
usually have a real keyboard handy so I might have disabled it years
ago and forgotten about it.

Eric

jim.oltman at gmail

Re: MythMusic Revamp Ideas [In reply to]

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Jim Oltman <jim.oltman [at] gmail> wrote:
> > The cool thing about the video is that while it did feature mouse clicks,
> > that could all be achieved with an IR remote control directional pad,
> back
> > button, and the center/enter key (on the MCE USB remote).
>
> Using directional buttons to control an on-screen cursor is really a
> pain. The lack of speed control means that the cursor is always
> moving too fast or too slow. Remotes that have an accelerometer (as
> in the Roku) can effectively control a cursor, but I wouldn't want to
> try that with an MCE remote.
>
> > Isn't there already an onscreen keyboard (at least in 0.24 there was)?
>
> Possibly. There may be a setting somewhere that disables it. I
> usually have a real keyboard handy so I might have disabled it years
> ago and forgotten about it.

I didn't mean a cursor being controlled by a remote. That would be a HUGE
headache and a major step backwards in functionality. I was thinking more
along the lines of the remote D-Pad controlling a "box" on the screen. You
hit up, the box moves up to the selection above it's current position. I
was thinking that the cursor would not be on the screen at all.

eric at lisaneric

Re: MythMusic Revamp Ideas [In reply to]

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Jim Oltman <jim.oltman [at] gmail> wrote:
> I didn't mean a cursor being controlled by a remote.  That would be a HUGE
> headache and a major step backwards in functionality.

It works quite well if you have the right hardware.

>  I was thinking more
> along the lines of the remote D-Pad controlling a "box" on the screen.  You
> hit up, the box moves up to the selection above it's current position.  I
> was thinking that the cursor would not be on the screen at all.

Then I don't really see how (other than the eye candy) this is
fundamentally different than what we already have today.

Eric

jim.oltman at gmail

Re: MythMusic Revamp Ideas [In reply to]

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Jim Oltman <jim.oltman [at] gmail> wrote:
> > I didn't mean a cursor being controlled by a remote. That would be a
> HUGE
> > headache and a major step backwards in functionality.
>
> It works quite well if you have the right hardware.
>
> > I was thinking more
> > along the lines of the remote D-Pad controlling a "box" on the screen.
> You
> > hit up, the box moves up to the selection above it's current position. I
> > was thinking that the cursor would not be on the screen at all.
>
> Then I don't really see how (other than the eye candy) this is
> fundamentally different than what we already have today.
>
> Eric

It just looked to me that the entire organization of items on the screen
was much better than what we had in 0.24. I could never read the entire
Artist/Title of the track I was listening to as it never scrolled to show
me the whole line. This was partially due to the layout of the MythMusic
screen being in a column fashion. To go back to a different playlist, I'd
have to hit the left arrow, and the on-screen selection bar would move to
the left. I still couldn't see the entire name of the playlist I wanted
(again, because the playlist name didn't scroll), and (if I recall
correctly) there was still a partial list of the tracks on the right side
of the screen. Even an option to have the name of the track move into
another line would have been a huge improvement.

If these fields were sorted vertically, and the on-screen
play/pause/rewind/etc keys were eliminated, then the list of available
songs would be bigger, and you could see more of the artist/title of the
music. If you were in the list of music, you could hit the back button to
move the selection bar up to the "menu" options above. Back one more time
gets you out of music all together. If you really wanted to have the
play/pause/rewind/etc keys on screen, you could have them appear as large
icons in the center of the screen (eye candy like in the video) when you
pressed the corresponding key on the remote. So pause would stay on screen
until you pressed play. Then the PLAY icon would fade out over a few
hundred milliseconds. Same for rewind/FF/next/etc. If you wanted
Shuffle/Repeat, then either have them be number keys (as it is now) or have
them be in the MENU key on the remote.

Maybe I'm incorrect and this is more a theme issue?

eric at lisaneric

Re: MythMusic Revamp Ideas [In reply to]

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Jim Oltman <jim.oltman [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:
>> Then I don't really see how (other than the eye candy) this is
>> fundamentally different than what we already have today.
>
> It just looked to me that the entire organization of items on the screen was
> much better than what we had in 0.24.

I'm comparing it to 0.25.

>  I could never read the entire
> Artist/Title of the track I was listening to as it never scrolled to show me
> the whole line.
[..]
> Maybe I'm incorrect and this is more a theme issue?

Perhaps. I can't say I've ever had issues like that, even back when I
was on standard def. Which theme did you use with .24?

Eric

jim.oltman at gmail

Re: MythMusic Revamp Ideas [In reply to]

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Jim Oltman <jim.oltman [at] gmail> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric>
> wrote:
> >> Then I don't really see how (other than the eye candy) this is
> >> fundamentally different than what we already have today.
> >
> > It just looked to me that the entire organization of items on the screen
> was
> > much better than what we had in 0.24.
>
> I'm comparing it to 0.25.

I thought the MythMusic implementation for 0.25 was getting revamped
completely?

> > I could never read the entire
> > Artist/Title of the track I was listening to as it never scrolled to
> show me
> > the whole line.
> [..]
> > Maybe I'm incorrect and this is more a theme issue?
>
> Perhaps. I can't say I've ever had issues like that, even back when I
> was on standard def. Which theme did you use with .24?
>
> Eric

I'm running Graphite on a 52" 1080p LCD via HDMI (no overscan).

eric at lisaneric

Re: MythMusic Revamp Ideas [In reply to]

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Jim Oltman <jim.oltman [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:
>> > It just looked to me that the entire organization of items on the screen
>> > was
>> > much better than what we had in 0.24.
>>
>> I'm comparing it to 0.25.
>
> I thought the MythMusic implementation for 0.25 was getting revamped
> completely?

The 0.24 -> 0.25 revamp is done. MythMusic has been revamped. Some
people are unhappy with the changes, but most seem to think it just
needs a few tweaks.

> I'm running Graphite on a 52" 1080p LCD via HDMI (no overscan).

Ok. I never noticed any of these kinds of problems with
MythCenter-Wide. I don't think I took more than a cursory look at
Graphite. At the moment I'm using Steppes.

Eric

jim.oltman at gmail

Re: MythMusic Revamp Ideas [In reply to]

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Jim Oltman <jim.oltman [at] gmail> wrote:
> screen
> >>
> >> I'm comparing it to 0.25.
> >
> > I thought the MythMusic implementation for 0.25 was getting revamped
> > completely?
>
> The 0.24 -> 0.25 revamp is done. MythMusic has been revamped. Some
> people are unhappy with the changes, but most seem to think it just
> needs a few tweaks.
>
> > I'm running Graphite on a 52" 1080p LCD via HDMI (no overscan).
>
> Ok. I never noticed any of these kinds of problems with
> MythCenter-Wide. I don't think I took more than a cursory look at
> Graphite. At the moment I'm using Steppes.
>
> Eric

Cool. Thanks for the responses. Guess it's time to "Upgrayedd".