Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Composite / All Available inputs used error

admin at lctn

Composite / All Available inputs used error

I have a working .24 system using a WinTV HVR-1950 tuner. (dual USB tuner)

I am attempting to use the composite input to capture video from VHS tapes

The QAM side of the tuner works fine (over air). I went back into mythtv
setup and have attempted to set up the analog side. I have tried V4L 1
and IVTV MPEG-2, selecting tv as default and have also tried to set
composite as default.

In Video Source Setup, I create one named Composite, with no grabber

On Inputs I have set the source to "/dev/video0 composite", starting
channel to 100 (does not exist in guide)

In Channel Editor I created channel name "Composite", channel number 100

Restarted the backend, ran mythfilldatabse, and then launched mythfrontend.

Watch TV works fine, but pressing "Y" does not change between sources.
"C" displays the digital side, but manually entering channel 100 gives
me the following error.

"MythTV is already using all available inputs for the channel you
selected".........

Any ideas what I might have mis-configured ?

Raymond

dheitmueller at kernellabs

Re: Composite / All Available inputs used error [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Raymond Norton <admin [at] lctn> wrote:
> I have a working .24 system using a WinTV HVR-1950 tuner. (dual USB tuner)
>
> I am attempting to use the composite input to capture video from VHS tapes
>
> The QAM side of the tuner works fine (over air). I went back into mythtv
> setup and have attempted to set up the analog side. I have tried  V4L 1 and
> IVTV MPEG-2, selecting tv as default and have also tried to set composite as
> default.
>

> In Video Source Setup, I create one named Composite, with no grabber
>
> On Inputs I have set the source to "/dev/video0 composite", starting channel
> to 100 (does not exist in guide)
>
> In Channel Editor I created channel name "Composite", channel number  100
>
> Restarted the backend, ran mythfilldatabse, and then launched mythfrontend.
>
> Watch TV works fine, but pressing "Y" does not change between sources. "C"
> displays the digital side, but manually entering channel 100 gives me the
> following error.
>
> "MythTV is already using all available inputs for the channel you
> selected".........
>
> Any ideas what I might have mis-configured ?

You should indeed be using "IVTV MPEG-2". "V4L" is for raw video
capture, which is unsupported on the 1950.

Did you put both the IVTV device and the ATSC device in the same
MythTV "Input Group"? That is needed to prevent MythTV from
attempting to use both at the same time (which would cause problems in
the driver).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

admin at lctn

Re: Composite / All Available inputs used error [In reply to]

> You should indeed be using "IVTV MPEG-2". "V4L" is for raw video
> capture, which is unsupported on the 1950.
>
> Did you put both the IVTV device and the ATSC device in the same
> MythTV "Input Group"? That is needed to prevent MythTV from
> attempting to use both at the same time (which would cause problems in
> the driver).
>
> Devin

I forgot to mention that: I originally had them both in the generic
group, but created a new group when I had problems. Will go back to mpeg
and one group and report back.

admin at lctn

Re: Composite / All Available inputs used error [In reply to]

> You should indeed be using "IVTV MPEG-2". "V4L" is for raw video
> capture, which is unsupported on the 1950.
>
> Did you put both the IVTV device and the ATSC device in the same
> MythTV "Input Group"? That is needed to prevent MythTV from
> attempting to use both at the same time (which would cause problems in
> the driver).
>
> Devin

OK... Went back in and made sure both the dvb and composite input are in
the generic group and set capture card to /dev/video0 mpeg, but still
get the same error, yet nothing is recording.

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Composite / All Available inputs used error [In reply to]

On 04/30/2012 11:29 AM, Raymond Norton wrote:

>> You should indeed be using "IVTV MPEG-2". "V4L" is for raw video
>> capture, which is unsupported on the 1950.
>>
>> Did you put both the IVTV device and the ATSC device in the same
>> MythTV "Input Group"? That is needed to prevent MythTV from
>> attempting to use both at the same time (which would cause problems in
>> the driver).
>
> I forgot to mention that: I originally had them both in the generic
> group, but created a new group when I had problems. Will go back to
> mpeg and one group and report back.

Note, also, that you may need to switch to a different card, then change
to channel 100--there was/is (might be fixed in current -fixes?) an
issue where it wouldn't treat other inputs on the same card that's in
use for Live TV as available. Jim Stichnoth was working on this issue
and could probably give you a more definitive/up-to-date answer.

And, when you finally get it working, you'll need to create manual
recording rules to record your VHS tapes:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/284890#284890 and
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/232857#232857

Meaning you may be /much/ better off using something else--like dd or
cat--to record the VHS tapes outside of MythTV and then just stick the
resulting video into the Video Library (formerly MythVideo).

Mike

stichnot at gmail

Re: Composite / All Available inputs used error [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
> On 04/30/2012 11:29 AM, Raymond Norton wrote:
>> I forgot to mention that: I originally had them both in the generic group,
>> but created a new group when I had problems. Will go back to mpeg and one
>> group and report back.
>

> Note, also, that you may need to switch to a different card, then change to
> channel 100--there was/is (might be fixed in current -fixes?) an issue where
> it wouldn't treat other inputs on the same card that's in use for Live TV as
> available.  Jim Stichnoth was working on this issue and could probably give
> you a more definitive/up-to-date answer.

In pre and early 0.25, there were a number of problems with changing
Live TV channels when the source and/or destination tuners were part
of input groups. I only evaluated and fixed them in 0.25 (after other
fixes by Daniel K. and others), but I'm sure at least some of the
problems must have been present in 0.24. If you upgrade to 0.25-fixes
and still see problems, we can get them fixed.

Jim

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Composite / All Available inputs used error [In reply to]

On 05/02/2012 10:00 AM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 04/30/2012 11:29 AM, Raymond Norton wrote:
>>> I forgot to mention that: I originally had them both in the generic group,
>>> but created a new group when I had problems. Will go back to mpeg and one
>>> group and report back.
>>
>> Note, also, that you may need to switch to a different card, then change to
>> channel 100--there was/is (might be fixed in current -fixes?) an issue where
>> it wouldn't treat other inputs on the same card that's in use for Live TV as
>> available. Jim Stichnoth was working on this issue and could probably give
>> you a more definitive/up-to-date answer.
> In pre and early 0.25, there were a number of problems with changing
> Live TV channels when the source and/or destination tuners were part
> of input groups. I only evaluated and fixed them in 0.25 (after other
> fixes by Daniel K. and others), but I'm sure at least some of the
> problems must have been present in 0.24. If you upgrade to 0.25-fixes
> and still see problems, we can get them fixed.

Ah, yes. I completely missed the mention of 0.24.

Anyone who uses Live TV should /definitely/ upgrade to 0.25-fixes as
soon as possible. It's has better support for Live TV than any previous
version of MythTV--and it generally works the way people want.

Mike

pouelle at debian

Re: Composite / All Available inputs used error [In reply to]

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 11:23:41AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Ah, yes. I completely missed the mention of 0.24.
>
> Anyone who uses Live TV should /definitely/ upgrade to 0.25-fixes as
> soon as possible. It's has better support for Live TV than any
> previous version of MythTV--and it generally works the way people
> want.

Except for that whole program transition problem in live tv. I saw the
fix is listed in trac as 0.25.1, and as of this morning it did not seem
to be in 0.25+fixes builds for mythbuntu.

(There will also be culture shock if they use mythmusic.)

Please note: I am very grateful for the work the myth developers do,
I just believe in letting people know up front what issues they may
run into before it is a surprise.

Pat

stichnot at gmail

Re: Composite / All Available inputs used error [In reply to]

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Patrick Ouellette <pouelle [at] debian> wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 11:23:41AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>> Ah, yes.  I completely missed the mention of 0.24.
>>
>> Anyone who uses Live TV should /definitely/ upgrade to 0.25-fixes as
>> soon as possible.  It's has better support for Live TV than any
>> previous version of MythTV--and it generally works the way people
>> want.
>
> Except for that whole program transition problem in live tv.  I saw the
> fix is listed in trac as 0.25.1, and as of this morning it did not seem
> to be in 0.25+fixes builds for mythbuntu.

The Live TV program transition problem should be fixed and part of
master and fixes/0.25. If there are still problems, I would
definitely like to know.

Jim

pouelle at debian

Re: Composite / All Available inputs used error [In reply to]

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 02:47:22PM -0700, Jim Stichnoth wrote:

> > Except for that whole program transition problem in live tv.  I saw the
> > fix is listed in trac as 0.25.1, and as of this morning it did not seem
> > to be in 0.25+fixes builds for mythbuntu.
>
> The Live TV program transition problem should be fixed and part of
> master and fixes/0.25. If there are still problems, I would
> definitely like to know.

I'll be testing tonight.

Pat