Music
Classical

Is that at all possible? I've done a quick search, and the only thing I
can find is a reference to separating the different folders with a : (but
that was back in 2004
http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2004-July/048806.html). And
it doesn't appear that storage groups work for Music? Thanks for the help!

moores.martin at gmail

Re: MythMusic Multiple Folders [In reply to]

On 1 May 2012 03:52, Jim Oltman <jim.oltman [at] gmail> wrote:

> Can I tell the MythTV setup for Music to view multiple folders?
> Specifically, I'd like to break out my folders like this:
>
> Christmas
> Music
> Classical
>
> Is that at all possible? I've done a quick search, and the only thing I
> can find is a reference to separating the different folders with a : (but
> that was back in 2004
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2004-July/048806.html). And
> it doesn't appear that storage groups work for Music? Thanks for the help!
>
> Jim,

No, no storage groups for mythmusic yet.

I guess the obvious solution is to put all of these music folders in the
same folder and then set that as your mythmusic folder. Is there any
reason they are in different locations?

Otherwise, you could create a music folder, then symlink these 3
directories into that. AFAIK, mythmusic works with symlinks, I haven't
tested it though

Cheers

Martin

jim.oltman at gmail

Re: MythMusic Multiple Folders [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Martin Moores <moores.martin [at] gmail>wrote:

> No, no storage groups for mythmusic yet.
>
> I guess the obvious solution is to put all of these music folders in the
> same folder and then set that as your mythmusic folder. Is there any
> reason they are in different locations?
>
> Otherwise, you could create a music folder, then symlink these 3
> directories into that. AFAIK, mythmusic works with symlinks, I haven't
> tested it though.

There are a couple reasons they are in different folders. The best reason
is that if I have my Christmas music in the same folders as my "normal"
music, then when I hit ALL SHUFFLE, I could get some Bing Crosby White
Christmas in the middle of July. I'm not a fan of that idea. Also, other
programs I'm using (Subsonic on Ubuntu, and MediaMonkey on Windows 7) both
have the ability to include multiple folders. So if I don't want to hear
Christmas, I just unselect it from Subsonic, or chose the Music Tree in
MediaMonkey and I don't have to worry. It'd be nice to include this
feature, but it's not a big deal.

I thought about that sym link idea. Right now, I share out (via NFS) from
my FreeNAS box to my MythBuntu Backend (virtual) server. I could map the
root folder, and then sym link in the folders I want included. I'll let
you guys know how that turns out. Thanks for the help!

Jim

eric at lisaneric

Re: MythMusic Multiple Folders [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Jim Oltman <jim.oltman [at] gmail> wrote:
>  There are a couple reasons they are in different folders.  The best reason
> is that if I have my Christmas music in the same folders as my "normal"
> music, then when I hit ALL SHUFFLE, I could get some Bing Crosby White
> Christmas in the middle of July.  I'm not a fan of that idea.

But why do that with folders? Isn't that what the genre field is for?

Eric

jim.oltman at gmail

Re: MythMusic Multiple Folders [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:

> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Jim Oltman <jim.oltman [at] gmail> wrote:
> > There are a couple reasons they are in different folders. The best
> reason
> > is that if I have my Christmas music in the same folders as my "normal"
> > music, then when I hit ALL SHUFFLE, I could get some Bing Crosby White
> > Christmas in the middle of July. I'm not a fan of that idea.
>
> But why do that with folders? Isn't that what the genre field is for?
>
> Eric

I generally do a "shuffle all" when I have MythMusic on. I hate creating
playlists. So creating a list with all genre's except Christmas and
Classical is just too difficult. I just wish there was a way to integrate
the three programs I use so I can create a playlist once, and not have to
dink with it any further.

mythtv at sky

Re: MythMusic Multiple Folders [In reply to]

On 01/05/12 21:53, Jim Oltman wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric
> <mailto:eric [at] lisaneric>> wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Jim Oltman <jim.oltman [at] gmail
> <mailto:jim.oltman [at] gmail>> wrote:
> > There are a couple reasons they are in different folders. The
> best reason
> > is that if I have my Christmas music in the same folders as my
> "normal"
> > music, then when I hit ALL SHUFFLE, I could get some Bing Crosby
> White
> > Christmas in the middle of July. I'm not a fan of that idea.
>
> But why do that with folders? Isn't that what the genre field is for?
>
> Eric
>

> I generally do a "shuffle all" when I have MythMusic on. I hate
> creating playlists. So creating a list with all genre's except
> Christmas and Classical is just too difficult. I just wish there was
> a way to integrate the three programs I use so I can create a playlist
> once, and not have to dink with it any further.

Have you tried using MythMusic's smart playlists? It's should be easy to
do what you want so long as your tracks have good genres set.

Paul H.

jim.oltman at gmail

Re: MythMusic Multiple Folders [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Paul Harrison <mythtv [at] sky> wrote:

> **
> Have you tried using MythMusic's smart playlists? It's should be easy to
> do what you want so long as your tracks have good genres set.
>
> Paul H.

I have not tried that. I've always found MythMusic's interface to be very
clunky with a remote. I shouldn't have to take out a keyboard to use it.
And the web interface is equally as clunky for creating a playlist. I've
not complained about it, because it's free software that I use every day.
The video portions of Myth are _outstanding_. I love showing off the
video playing features to friends who just can't believe it.

I'll be trying the symlink idea posted earlier. I think it's the most
compatible with my end goal. Thanks to all for the suggestions!