Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Saving Bookmark in MythCenter-wide and Retro themes

newbury at mandamus

Saving Bookmark in MythCenter-wide and Retro themes

I have recently found the Retro theme which parallels my personal
changes to MythCenter-wide (I dislike the green accents too). But
MythCenter-wide (and MythCenter) both save and clear bookmarks (when you
press enter, select or space during playback), but Retro does not.

This seems to be set up through tv_play.cpp as there is nothing in the
theme xml files. Does anyone know how to turn on this feature in Retro?

Geoff

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Saving Bookmark in MythCenter-wide and Retro themes [In reply to]

On 04/30/2012 05:22 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> I have recently found the Retro theme which parallels my personal
> changes to MythCenter-wide (I dislike the green accents too). But
> MythCenter-wide (and MythCenter) both save and clear bookmarks (when
> you press enter, select or space during playback), but Retro does not.
>
> This seems to be set up through tv_play.cpp as there is nothing in the
> theme xml files. Does anyone know how to turn on this feature in Retro?

It can't be controlled by the theme. It's controlled by:

Alternate clear and save bookmark
During playback the SELECT key (Enter or Space) will alternate between
"Bookmark Saved" and "Bookmark Cleared". If disabled, the SELECT key
will save the current position for each keypress.

in Video Playback settings in mythfrontend (which defaults to enabled).
Perhaps you have different settings on different frontends (or somehow
you're using a different LocalHostName/machine identifier (and,
therefore, different settings) when you're testing Retro?

Mike

newbury at mandamus

Re: Saving Bookmark in MythCenter-wide and Retro themes [In reply to]

On 04/30/2012 06:07 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/30/2012 05:22 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> I have recently found the Retro theme which parallels my personal
>> changes to MythCenter-wide (I dislike the green accents too). But
>> MythCenter-wide (and MythCenter) both save and clear bookmarks (when
>> you press enter, select or space during playback), but Retro does not.
>>
>> This seems to be set up through tv_play.cpp as there is nothing in the
>> theme xml files. Does anyone know how to turn on this feature in Retro?
>
> It can't be controlled by the theme. It's controlled by:
>
> Alternate clear and save bookmark
> During playback the SELECT key (Enter or Space) will alternate between
> "Bookmark Saved" and "Bookmark Cleared". If disabled, the SELECT key
> will save the current position for each keypress.
>
> in Video Playback settings in mythfrontend (which defaults to enabled).
> Perhaps you have different settings on different frontends (or somehow
> you're using a different LocalHostName/machine identifier (and,

Thanks Michael. Same frontend. Save/Clear works in MythCenter-wide v 1.1
or 1.5, esc out to Setup, and download/install Retro, drill down to the
SAME tv show, and.... no bookmarks. and does not recognize/jump to the
bookmark I just set in MythCenter-wide..

You have confirmed that this is weird, but exactly what is going on is
obscure. Version is trunk, from yesterday (or Saturday)..

Geoff

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Saving Bookmark in MythCenter-wide and Retro themes [In reply to]

On 04/30/2012 07:38 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 04/30/2012 06:07 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 04/30/2012 05:22 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>> I have recently found the Retro theme which parallels my personal
>>> changes to MythCenter-wide (I dislike the green accents too). But
>>> MythCenter-wide (and MythCenter) both save and clear bookmarks (when
>>> you press enter, select or space during playback), but Retro does not.
>>>
>>> This seems to be set up through tv_play.cpp as there is nothing in the
>>> theme xml files. Does anyone know how to turn on this feature in Retro?
>>
>> It can't be controlled by the theme. It's controlled by:
>>
>> Alternate clear and save bookmark
>> During playback the SELECT key (Enter or Space) will alternate between
>> "Bookmark Saved" and "Bookmark Cleared". If disabled, the SELECT key
>> will save the current position for each keypress.
>>
>> in Video Playback settings in mythfrontend (which defaults to enabled).
>> Perhaps you have different settings on different frontends (or somehow
>> you're using a different LocalHostName/machine identifier (and,
>
> Thanks Michael. Same frontend. Save/Clear works in MythCenter-wide v
> 1.1 or 1.5, esc out to Setup, and download/install Retro, drill down
> to the SAME tv show, and.... no bookmarks. and does not recognize/jump
> to the bookmark I just set in MythCenter-wide..
>
> You have confirmed that this is weird, but exactly what is going on is
> obscure. Version is trunk, from yesterday (or Saturday)..

The only reason I can imagine that would happen is if that theme uses
the "allow themes to silently change key bindings so that I don't have
to hit SELECT and can just hit RIGHT instead because it takes so much
effort to move my thumb" feature that was added before 0.25. You know,
the one that would allow you to redefine, say, SELECT to mean DELETE,
just for fun.

If that's what's happening, Retro must be redefining SELECT to mean
something else.

Mike

newbury at mandamus

Re: Saving Bookmark in MythCenter-wide and Retro themes [In reply to]

On 04/30/2012 10:48 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/30/2012 07:38 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:

> The only reason I can imagine that would happen is if that theme uses
> the "allow themes to silently change key bindings so that I don't have
> to hit SELECT and can just hit RIGHT instead because it takes so much
> effort to move my thumb" feature that was added before 0.25. You know,
> the one that would allow you to redefine, say, SELECT to mean DELETE,
> just for fun.
>
> If that's what's happening, Retro must be redefining SELECT to mean
> something else.

I think it is redefining 'Enter'. My iMon setup uses devinput and
KEY_ENTER is mapped to 'Enter' in my lircrc. Pressing that key does
nothing in Retro.

Any idea where to search in the code. I have been C++ allergic for many
years.

Geoff

mythtv at sky

Re: Saving Bookmark in MythCenter-wide and Retro themes [In reply to]

On 01/05/12 20:19, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 04/30/2012 10:48 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> The only reason I can imagine that would happen is if that theme uses
>> the "allow themes to silently change key bindings so that I don't have
>> to hit SELECT and can just hit RIGHT instead because it takes so much
>> effort to move my thumb" feature that was added before 0.25. You know,
>> the one that would allow you to redefine, say, SELECT to mean DELETE,
>> just for fun.
>>
>> If that's what's happening, Retro must be redefining SELECT to mean
>> something else.
>

> I think it is redefining 'Enter'. My iMon setup uses devinput and
> KEY_ENTER is mapped to 'Enter' in my lircrc. Pressing that key does
> nothing in Retro.
>
> Any idea where to search in the code. I have been C++ allergic for
> many years.
>
> Geoff

I think you will find this is a problem with the Retro osd theme. Hint
try tweaking the position of the osd_message window :)

Paul H.

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Saving Bookmark in MythCenter-wide and Retro themes [In reply to]

On 05/01/2012 05:22 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 01/05/12 20:19, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>> The only reason I can imagine that would happen is if that theme uses
>>> the "allow themes to silently change key bindings so that I don't have
>>> to hit SELECT and can just hit RIGHT instead because it takes so much
>>> effort to move my thumb" feature that was added before 0.25. You know,
>>> the one that would allow you to redefine, say, SELECT to mean DELETE,
>>> just for fun.
>>>
>>> If that's what's happening, Retro must be redefining SELECT to mean
>>> something else.
>> I think it is redefining 'Enter'. My iMon setup uses devinput and
>> KEY_ENTER is mapped to 'Enter' in my lircrc. Pressing that key does
>> nothing in Retro.
>>
>> Any idea where to search in the code. I have been C++ allergic for
>> many years.
> I think you will find this is a problem with the Retro osd theme. Hint
> try tweaking the position of the osd_message window :)

Hehe, seems I ignored a far more likely possibility--it actually works
but the UI doesn't show the window saying it did. :) (I tell you, they
sure /sounded/ like zebras to me!)

Mike

newbury at mandamus

Re: Saving Bookmark in MythCenter-wide and Retro themes [In reply to]

On 05/01/2012 05:22 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 01/05/12 20:19, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>
>>> The only reason I can imagine that would happen is if that theme uses
>>> the "allow themes to silently change key bindings so that I don't have
>>> to hit SELECT and can just hit RIGHT instead because it takes so much
>>> effort to move my thumb" feature that was added before 0.25. You know,
>>> the one that would allow you to redefine, say, SELECT to mean DELETE,
>>> just for fun.
>>>
>>> If that's what's happening, Retro must be redefining SELECT to mean
>>> something else.
>>

>> I think it is redefining 'Enter'. My iMon setup uses devinput and
>> KEY_ENTER is mapped to 'Enter' in my lircrc. Pressing that key does
>> nothing in Retro.
>>
>> Any idea where to search in the code. I have been C++ allergic for
>> many years.
>>
>> Geoff
>
> I think you will find this is a problem with the Retro osd theme. Hint
> try tweaking the position of the osd_message window :)
>
> Paul H.

THank you Paul, I will take a look at that. I can always copy over the
osd details from MythCenter-wide and see what happens.

Geoff

newbury at mandamus

Re: Saving Bookmark in MythCenter-wide and Retro themes [In reply to]

On 05/01/2012 07:02 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/01/2012 05:22 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:

>>> I think it is redefining 'Enter'. My iMon setup uses devinput and
>>> KEY_ENTER is mapped to 'Enter' in my lircrc. Pressing that key does
>>> nothing in Retro.
>>>
>>> Any idea where to search in the code. I have been C++ allergic for
>>> many years.
>> I think you will find this is a problem with the Retro osd theme. Hint
>> try tweaking the position of the osd_message window :)
>
> Hehe, seems I ignored a far more likely possibility--it actually works
> but the UI doesn't show the window saying it did. :) (I tell you, they
> sure /sounded/ like zebras to me!)
>
> Mike

Huh! wadda you know. That wasn't a zebra. It was a buffalo!

G.

newbury at mandamus

Re: Saving Bookmark in MythCenter-wide and Retro themes [In reply to]

On 05/01/2012 05:22 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 01/05/12 20:19, R. G. Newbury wrote:

> I think you will find this is a problem with the Retro osd theme. Hint
> try tweaking the position of the osd_message window :)
>
> Paul H.

Good call Paul,

Tweaking the position of osd_message commencing at line 110 of osd.xml
brings the message box (and the Saved/Cleared message) into view.

Is it worthwhile creating a diff and creating a bug in Trac, or will
this do?

<!-- line 110 in osd.xml -->
<!-- The OSD text message/notification popup.
-->
<window name="osd_message">
<!-- <area>0,1190,1280,90</area> -->
<area>680,125,50,80</area>

<imagetype name="background">
<filename>osd/osd-alert.png</filename>
<!-- <position>0,0,1280,90</position> -->
<position>0,0,400,80</position>
</imagetype>
<textarea name="message_text">
<!-- <area>20,15,1240,60</area> -->
<area>20,20,550,40</area>

Geoff

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Saving Bookmark in MythCenter-wide and Retro themes [In reply to]

On 05/02/2012 10:54 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Tweaking the position of osd_message commencing at line 110 of osd.xml
> brings the message box (and the Saved/Cleared message) into view.
>
> Is it worthwhile creating a diff and creating a bug in Trac, or will
> this do?
>
> <!-- line 110 in osd.xml -->
> <!-- The OSD text message/notification popup.
> -->
> <window name="osd_message">
> <!-- <area>0,1190,1280,90</area> -->
> <area>680,125,50,80</area>
>
> <imagetype name="background">
> <filename>osd/osd-alert.png</filename>
> <!-- <position>0,0,1280,90</position> -->
> <position>0,0,400,80</position>
> </imagetype>
> <textarea name="message_text">
> <!-- <area>20,15,1240,60</area> -->
> <area>20,20,550,40</area>

The Retro-wide theme--like nearly all others*--is not a part of the
MythTV/not maintained in the MythTV project, so a ticket on MythTV Trac
will be closed. The Retro-wide theme's home is the MythTV-Themes
project at https://github.com/MythTV-Themes/ , specifically the repo
https://github.com/MythTV-Themes/Retro-wide . You can contact Chris,
the theme author (as specified in themeinfo.xml or
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Theme_Teams ) at the address shown in either
location. And note that Chris mentioned that he would welcome help
working on the theme in the Theme Teams page, so if you'd like to get
involved, this would be a great conversation starter... :)

I'm guessing you could also file a ticket through the github ticket
system for that repo
(https://github.com/MythTV-Themes/Retro-wide/issues ), but not sure if
any of the theme authors really want to use that system or would prefer
e-mails, etc.

Mike

* Currently Terra, MythCenter, and MythCenter-wide are still "part" of
MythTV (and all others are "external"/3rd-party themes), but this is
likely to change in the very near future. All themes will move out of
the MythTV repository (these 3, specifically, to MythTV-Themes project),
where people who use the themes may be given privileges to commit
changes to the themes. More info to follow in the next couple of weeks.

chris at westnet

Re: Saving Bookmark in MythCenter-wide and Retro themes [In reply to]

Just to follow up, I've moved the message popup to center top. Thanks for
the bug report !.

Retro-wide should now be available in the 0.25 theme browser.

The code is available on Github at
https://github.com/MythTV-Themes/Retro-wide Issues can be opened there also