--
Cheers, Saul

pieter at insync

Re: Weird logic [In reply to]

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:

> Running 0.25 fixes.
> I have a dual analog tuner.
> Live TV was in one of them, there was an upcoming recording, I assumed
> it will be using second tuner but no. The menu popped up on liveTV, I
> did not respond, when I came back to TV it was showing the running
> recording instead. I hit Esc because I wanted to watch it later ... and
> that canceled the recording.
> Why can't it use free tuners for recording? How comes the recording was
> canceled without any warning?
>
> --
> Cheers, Saul

I second this request - this started the thread about "Virtual Tuners" and
the back-to-back recording one. Turns out, in my case, the tuner couldn't
support more than 2 "tuners at once". Currently shopping for a better one
:)

Seems in .25 that menu pop's up as soon as livetv is active and a
recording it due to start.

Cheers,

Pieter

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Weird logic [In reply to]

On 04/29/2012 10:54 AM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> Running 0.25 fixes.
> I have a dual analog tuner.
> Live TV was in one of them, there was an upcoming recording, I assumed
> it will be using second tuner but no. The menu popped up on liveTV, I
> did not respond, when I came back to TV it was showing the running
> recording instead. I hit Esc because I wanted to watch it later ... and
> that canceled the recording.
> Why can't it use free tuners for recording?

Because it always uses the best tuner available (meaning uses tuners
based on recording order you specified)--figuring that a recording
you're keeping is more important than Live TV that will automatically
delete.
> How comes the recording was
> canceled without any warning?

That's a known issue--the whole "we need this tuner for a recording"
popup is in need of lots of fixes.

Mike

pieter at insync

Re: Weird logic [In reply to]

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 04/29/2012 10:54 AM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
>> Running 0.25 fixes.
>> I have a dual analog tuner.
>> Live TV was in one of them, there was an upcoming recording, I assumed
>> it will be using second tuner but no. The menu popped up on liveTV, I
>> did not respond, when I came back to TV it was showing the running
>> recording instead. I hit Esc because I wanted to watch it later ... and
>> that canceled the recording.
>> Why can't it use free tuners for recording?
>
> Because it always uses the best tuner available (meaning uses tuners based on
> recording order you specified)--figuring that a recording you're keeping is
> more important than Live TV that will automatically delete.

Right - so as a work around you should have something like this:

Tuner 1 - LiveTV priority 1
Recording priority 2

Tuner 2 - LiveTV priority 2
Recording priority 1

?

>> How comes the recording was
>> canceled without any warning?
>>

> That's a known issue--the whole "we need this tuner for a recording" popup is
> in need of lots of fixes.
>
> Mike

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Weird logic [In reply to]

On 04/29/2012 05:45 PM, Pieter De Wit wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2012, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 04/29/2012 10:54 AM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
>>> Running 0.25 fixes.
>>> I have a dual analog tuner.
>>> Live TV was in one of them, there was an upcoming recording, I assumed
>>> it will be using second tuner but no. The menu popped up on liveTV, I
>>> did not respond, when I came back to TV it was showing the running
>>> recording instead. I hit Esc because I wanted to watch it later ... and
>>> that canceled the recording.
>>> Why can't it use free tuners for recording?
>>
>> Because it always uses the best tuner available (meaning uses tuners
>> based on recording order you specified)--figuring that a recording
>> you're keeping is more important than Live TV that will automatically
>> delete.
>
> Right - so as a work around you should have something like this:
>
> Tuner 1 - LiveTV priority 1
> Recording priority 2
>
> Tuner 2 - LiveTV priority 2
> Recording priority 1
>
> ?

Right, though note that "recording order" and "Live TV order" are
/order/, not priority.

According to MythTV's priority system, high priority wins. When it
comes to "recording order" and "Live TV order", 1 goes first, 2 goes
second, ...

So, with the above, you'd use Tuner 2 for recordings before Tuner 1 and
you'd start Live TV on Tuner 1.

Mike

pieter at insync

Re: Weird logic [In reply to]

On 30/04/2012 09:37, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/29/2012 10:54 AM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
>> Running 0.25 fixes.
>> I have a dual analog tuner.
>> Live TV was in one of them, there was an upcoming recording, I assumed
>> it will be using second tuner but no. The menu popped up on liveTV, I
>> did not respond, when I came back to TV it was showing the running
>> recording instead. I hit Esc because I wanted to watch it later ... and
>> that canceled the recording.
>> Why can't it use free tuners for recording?
>
> Because it always uses the best tuner available (meaning uses tuners
> based on recording order you specified)--figuring that a recording
> you're keeping is more important than Live TV that will automatically
> delete.
>> How comes the recording was
>> canceled without any warning?
>>

> That's a known issue--the whole "we need this tuner for a recording"
> popup is in need of lots of fixes.
>
> Mike
Yeah...I second Mike now too :)

I did a test:

Encoder 1 [ DVB : /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 ] is local on media and is
recording 'Britain's Best Dish' on TV ONE. This recording is scheduled
to end at 15:00.
Encoder 2 [ DVB : /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 ] is local on media and is
recording 'Anderson' on TV2. This recording is scheduled to end at 15:00.
Encoder 3 [ DVB : /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 ] is local on media and is
recording 'Maori Television' on Maori TV. This recording is scheduled to
end at 15:00.
Encoder 4 [ DVB : /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 ] is local on media and is
watching Live TV 'The Court Report' on TVNZ 7. This recording is
scheduled to end at 15:00.

And now my card can handle 4 recordings. Did something change on the
tuning code in .25 (.24 didn't have any issues with this card)

Cheers,

Pieter

nick.rout at gmail

Re: Weird logic [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Pieter De Wit <pieter [at] insync> wrote:
> On 30/04/2012 09:37, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
> On 04/29/2012 10:54 AM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
>
> Running 0.25 fixes.
> I have a dual analog tuner.
> Live TV was in one of them, there was an upcoming recording, I assumed
> it will be using second tuner but no. The menu popped up on liveTV, I
> did not respond, when I came back to TV it was showing the running
> recording instead. I hit Esc because I wanted to watch it later ... and
> that canceled the recording.
> Why can't it use free tuners for recording?
>

> Because it always uses the best tuner available (meaning uses tuners based
> on recording order you specified)--figuring that a recording you're keeping
> is more important than Live TV that will automatically delete.
>
>   How comes the recording was
> canceled without any warning?
>

> That's a known issue--the whole "we need this tuner for a recording" popup
> is in need of lots of fixes.
>
> Mike
>
> Yeah...I second Mike now too :)
>
> I did a test:
>
> Encoder 1 [ DVB : /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 ] is local on media and is
> recording 'Britain's Best Dish' on TV ONE. This recording is scheduled to
> end at 15:00.
> Encoder 2 [ DVB : /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 ] is local on media and is
> recording 'Anderson' on TV2. This recording is scheduled to end at 15:00.
> Encoder 3 [ DVB : /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 ] is local on media and is
> recording 'Maori Television' on Maori TV. This recording is scheduled to end
> at 15:00.
> Encoder 4 [ DVB : /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 ] is local on media and is
> watching Live TV 'The Court Report' on TVNZ 7. This recording is scheduled
> to end at 15:00.

This seems odd as TVONE is on a different mux to MaoriTV, in my part
of the country anyway.

> And now my card can handle 4 recordings. Did something change on the tuning
> code in .25 (.24 didn't have any issues with this card)

If your card can handle 4 or more channels at once under 0.25, then it
could under 0.24 too. This is a parameter in mythtv-setup and I think
the default is to set it to 2 virtual channels per tuner, so you must
have changed it from the default.

pieter at insync

Re: Weird logic [In reply to]

> This seems odd as TVONE is on a different mux to MaoriTV, in my part
> of the country anyway.
Really ? - That is odd:

http://www.lyngsat.com/Optus-D1.html

They both on the 12483 Mux - This is DVB-S :)

Mind sharing your channels ? (Make it off list :) )
>> And now my card can handle 4 recordings. Did something change on the tuning
>> code in .25 (.24 didn't have any issues with this card)
>>
> If your card can handle 4 or more channels at once under 0.25, then it
> could under 0.24 too. This is a parameter in mythtv-setup and I think
> the default is to set it to 2 virtual channels per tuner, so you must
> have changed it from the default.

Yip - there is no doubt about this now. Myth seems to have changed
something with regards to how it uses them and how it decided if they
are free or not. I will try my other suggestion (Change the recording
order of the tuners).

The bigger picture here is that Myth has that popup that seems to
indicated no tuners are free, even thou there is "plenty". I also often
have that tuning error, but that seems to have been lost in the fodder:

TVRecEvent dvbchannel.cpp:347 (CheckFrequency)
DVBChan(3:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Your frequency setting
(12483000) is out of range. (min/max:950000/2150000)

I will glady sharing channel info etc - I grab mine from Optus D1 and
auto scan transponders :)

Cheers,

Pieter

nick.rout at gmail

Re: Weird logic [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Pieter De Wit <pieter [at] insync> wrote:

>> This seems odd as TVONE is on a different mux to MaoriTV, in my part
>> of the country anyway.
>
> Really ? - That is odd:
>
> http://www.lyngsat.com/Optus-D1.html

Stupid me, you are using satellite, i was talking about Terrestial,
excuse my idiocy.

> They both on the 12483 Mux - This is DVB-S :)
>
> Mind sharing your channels ? (Make it off list :) )
>
>>> And now my card can handle 4 recordings. Did something change on the
>>> tuning
>>> code in .25 (.24 didn't have any issues with this card)
>>>
>> If your card can handle 4 or more channels at once under 0.25, then it
>> could under 0.24 too. This is a parameter in mythtv-setup and I think
>> the default is to set it to 2 virtual channels per tuner, so you must
>> have changed it from the default.
>>
> Yip - there is no doubt about this now. Myth seems to have changed something
> with regards to how it uses them and how it decided if they are free or not.
> I will try my other suggestion (Change the recording order of the tuners).
>
> The bigger picture here is that Myth has that popup that seems to indicated
> no tuners are free, even thou there is "plenty". I also often have that
> tuning error, but that seems to have been lost in the fodder:

I barely use livetv so I don't face this problem.

> TVRecEvent dvbchannel.cpp:347 (CheckFrequency)
> DVBChan(3:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Your frequency setting (12483000) is
> out of range. (min/max:950000/2150000)
>
> I will glady sharing channel info etc - I grab mine from Optus D1 and auto
> scan transponders :)

I have seen that error when I was using dvb-s, but it never seemed to
affect anything, and have always ignored it.

> Cheers,
>
> Pieter

pieter at insync

Re: Weird logic [In reply to]

> Stupid me, you are using satellite, i was talking about Terrestial,
> excuse my idiocy.
> I barely use livetv so I don't face this problem.
Yeah - We often on Live TV and have kids to deal with - perfect test for
pause/resume (which has another issue when swapping programs/the timer
is wrong on paused shows etc - more on those when the tuner is fixed :) )
>> TVRecEvent dvbchannel.cpp:347 (CheckFrequency)
>> DVBChan(3:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Your frequency setting (12483000) is
>> out of range. (min/max:950000/2150000)
>>
>> I will glady sharing channel info etc - I grab mine from Optus D1 and auto
>> scan transponders :)
>>
> I have seen that error when I was using dvb-s, but it never seemed to
> affect anything, and have always ignored it.
Seems odd to ignore it (for me) because of the other issues. If the
tuners ran smoothly I would not even have noticed this :)

Mind sharing your card setup (off list is fine too :) ) ? And any issues
you ran into etc. - I am thinking of going to DVB-T because of the HD
and 5.1 sound. Just not sure what cards to go for. I am currently
thinking of:

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TBS6984_PCIe_DVB_S2_Quad_Tuner_TV_Card

Yes - it's DVB-S/S2 but at least with 4 hardware tuners I should not
have an issue. There is the annoying fact that my current card says
"WinTV" as well :D

Cheers,

Pieter