Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Backend fails to start on boot on slave backend, but will start manually

mail at benlancaster

Backend fails to start on boot on slave backend, but will start manually

I have a headless master backend and a combined slave backend + frontend,
both MythBuntu 12.04 (however my problem pre-dates that upgrade).

The mythbackend process won't start on boot, but will start if I start it
manually.

Here's the log output from boot attempt:

C thread_unknown mythcommandlineparser.cpp:2534 (ConfigureLogging)
mythbackend version: fixes/0.25 [v0.25-59-gae7ac79] www.mythtv.org
N thread_unknown mythcommandlineparser.cpp:2536 (ConfigureLogging) Enabled
verbose msgs: general
N thread_unknown logging.cpp:1176 (logStart) Setting Log Level to LOG_INFO
I thread_unknown logging.cpp:229 (FileLogger) Added logging to the console
I thread_unknown logging.cpp:369 (SyslogLogger) Added syslogging to
facility local7
I thread_unknown logging.cpp:425 (DatabaseLogger) Added database logging to
table logging
N thread_unknown logging.cpp:1215 (logStart) Setting up SIGHUP handler
N thread_unknown mythdirs.cpp:51 (InitializeMythDirs) Using runtime prefix
= /usr
N thread_unknown mythdirs.cpp:64 (InitializeMythDirs) Using configuration
directory = /home/mythtv/.mythtv
I CoreContext mythcorecontext.cpp:227 (Init) Assumed character encoding:
en_GB.UTF-8
I CoreContext mythcontext.cpp:481 (LoadDatabaseSettings) Using localhost
value of downstairs
I CoreContext mythcontext.cpp:608 (TestDBconnection) Testing network
connectivity to '192.168.1.1'
I SystemSignalManager system-unix.cpp:485 (run) Starting process signal
handler
I SystemManager system-unix.cpp:263 (run) Starting process manager
I SystemIOHandlerR system-unix.cpp:90 (run) Starting IO manager (read)
I SystemIOHandlerW system-unix.cpp:90 (run) Starting IO manager (write)
N CoreContext mythcorecontext.cpp:1270 (InitLocale) Setting QT default
locale to EN_GB
I CoreContext mythcorecontext.cpp:1303 (SaveLocaleDefaults) Current locale
EN_GB
N CoreContext mythlocale.cpp:121 (LoadDefaultsFromXML) Reading locale
defaults from /usr/share/mythtv//locales/en_gb.xml
I CoreContext schemawizard.cpp:117 (Compare) Current MythTV Schema Version
(DBSchemaVer): 1299
I CoreContext mythtranslation.cpp:66 (load) Loading en_gb translation for
module mythfrontend
I CoreContext mythcorecontext.cpp:1178 (CheckProtoVersion) Using protocol
version 72
C CoreContext mythmiscutil.cpp:593 (checkTimeZone) Current time on the
master backend differs from time on this system.
N CoreContext mythmiscutil.cpp:495 (print_timezone_info) Detected time zone
settings:#012 Master: Zone ID: 'Europe/London', UTC Offset: '3600',
Current Time: '2012-04-29T14:38:33'#012 Local: Zone ID:
'Europe/London', UTC Offset: '3600', Current Time: '2012-04-29T13:37:06'
E CoreContext main_helpers.cpp:472 (connect_to_master) The time and/or time
zone settings on this system do not match those in use on the master
backend. Please ensure all frontend and backend systems are configured to
use the same time zone and have the current time properly set.
E CoreContext main_helpers.cpp:474 (connect_to_master) Unable to run with
invalid time settings. Exiting.

...vs the following when started manually after boot:

[...]
I CoreContext main_helpers.cpp:483 (connect_to_master) Backend is running
in Europe/London time zone.
N CoreContext main_helpers.cpp:560 (run_backend) MythBackend: Running as a
slave backend.
-- snip --
N CoreContext mainserver.cpp:6108 (reconnectTimeout) Connected successfully

Obviously, the problem here is that the two backend services disagree on
timezones, however `date` says they're both set correctly, and I've done a
`dpkg-reconfigure tzdata` to make sure, the slave backend actually uses the
master backend server as an ntp server too.

Is there another timezone setting somewhere that I've missed that's causing
this mismatch? Since the log output is identical up to the timezone line,
I'm wondering if there's some kind of race condition on boot, where the
slave's timezone hasn't yet been set?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

raymond at wagnerrp

Re: Backend fails to start on boot on slave backend, but will start manually [In reply to]

On 4/29/2012 11:24, Ben Lancaster wrote:
> C CoreContext mythmiscutil.cpp:593 (checkTimeZone) Current time on the
> master backend differs from time on this system.
> N CoreContext mythmiscutil.cpp:495 (print_timezone_info) Detected time
> zone settings:#012 Master: Zone ID: 'Europe/London', UTC Offset:
> '3600', Current Time: '2012-04-29T14:38:33'#012 Local: Zone ID:
> 'Europe/London', UTC Offset: '3600', Current Time: '2012-04-29T13:37:06'
> E CoreContext main_helpers.cpp:472 (connect_to_master) The time and/or
> time zone settings on this system do not match those in use on the
> master backend. Please ensure all frontend and backend systems are
> configured to use the same time zone and have the current time
> properly set.
> E CoreContext main_helpers.cpp:474 (connect_to_master) Unable to run
> with invalid time settings. Exiting.

Looks like your motherboard's hardware clock is set an hour off. When
you boot, the clock is initially wrong, and mythbackend aborts. Shortly
there after, NTP resets the clock, and subsequent attempts to start the
backend succeed.

pieter at insync

Re: Backend fails to start on boot on slave backend, but will start manually [In reply to]

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012, Ben Lancaster wrote:

> I have a headless master backend and a combined slave backend + frontend, both MythBuntu 12.04 (however my problem pre-dates that upgrade).
>
> The mythbackend process won't start on boot, but will start if I start it manually.
>
> Here's the log output from boot attempt:

<snip>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ben

I have noted a sim. issue - My frontend/backend combo does the same - I
think it has to do with startup orders. I haven't investigated 100%

Mine started around 11.10 - did you have 11.10 ?

I will do so when I get home and advise.

Cheers,

Pieter