Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

PXE Boot .25 mythbuntu

digidmyth at gmail

PXE Boot .25 mythbuntu

Has anyone been able to get .25 mythbuntu to PXE boot. I am building a new
server to run .25 and the documentation is no longer valid.

Dale

dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken

Re: PXE Boot .25 mythbuntu [In reply to]

On 29.04.2012 02:57, digid myth wrote:
> Has anyone been able to get .25 mythbuntu to PXE boot. I am building a
> new server to run .25 and the documentation is no longer valid.

It works like a charm, but reviving the plugin in the Mythbuntu control
center would be appreciated.
I couldn't find the guide I was following right now, but this looks
about right.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/81446/how-do-i-set-up-network-boot-in-mythbuntu

Regards,
Karl

digidmyth at gmail

Re: PXE Boot .25 mythbuntu [In reply to]

Karl,

What version of ubuntu are you on?

As I am building a new server I thought that I would go ahead and load the new LTS 12.04

On Apr 29, 2012, at 3:04 AM, Karl Dietz wrote:

> On 29.04.2012 02:57, digid myth wrote:
>> Has anyone been able to get .25 mythbuntu to PXE boot. I am building a
>> new server to run .25 and the documentation is no longer valid.
>
> It works like a charm, but reviving the plugin in the Mythbuntu control
> center would be appreciated.
> I couldn't find the guide I was following right now, but this looks about right.
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/81446/how-do-i-set-up-network-boot-in-mythbuntu
>
> Regards,
> Karl

mitchell.gore at gmail

Re: PXE Boot .25 mythbuntu [In reply to]

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM, digid myth <digidmyth [at] gmail> wrote:

> Has anyone been able to get .25 mythbuntu to PXE boot. I am building a new
> server to run .25 and the documentation is no longer valid.
>
> Dale

I used to PXE boot but it just because too much of a hassle with the tools
disapearing/not maintained. Its just easier to use a 8GB USB drive.

Mitchell

michael at thewatsonfamily

Re: PXE Boot .25 mythbuntu [In reply to]

On 29/04/2012 10:57 AM, digid myth wrote:
> Has anyone been able to get .25 mythbuntu to PXE boot. I am building a
> new server to run .25 and the documentation is no longer valid.
>
> Dale

I now boot my PXE Clients using gPXE and sanboot (iscsi). Using the MBE
as the iscsitarget.
http://etherboot.org/wiki/sanboot/ubuntu_iscsi2

With 10.04 and later, once you have the iscsitarget and dhcp server
configured on your server, boot your "slave" pc with a Ubuntu 10.04 (or
later) *server* cdrom/dvd and install directly to the iscsi image, no
messing around modifying boot scripts or anything. Once installed,
install mythbuntu-desktop and your good to go.

This way, each machine has its "own hard drive", and are managed just
like any other PC with a hard drive.

Michael W

digidmyth at gmail

Re: PXE Boot .25 mythbuntu [In reply to]

I think that this is a problem more if Ubuntu 12.04 than it is with .25

For the short term I put a SSD in one of the front ends, and a small hard drive in the other. Menus sure are snappier on the hard drive.

Dale

Re: PXE Boot .25 mythbuntu [In reply to]

On 30/04/2012 10:23 AM, digidmyth wrote:
> I think that this is a problem more if Ubuntu 12.04 than it is with .25
>
> For the short term I put a SSD in one of the front ends, and a small hard drive in the other. Menus sure are snappier on the hard drive.
>
> Dale

The only issue I had on 12.04 and iscsi sanboot was that you need to
install the iscsitarget-dkms package for iscsitarget to startup.

alamar at gmail

Re: PXE Boot .25 mythbuntu [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 8:23 PM, digidmyth <digidmyth [at] gmail> wrote:

> I think that this is a problem more if Ubuntu 12.04 than it is with .25
>
> For the short term I put a SSD in one of the front ends, and a small hard
> drive in the other. Menus sure are snappier on the hard drive.
>
> Dale

I've had no .25 issues w/ PXE booting either. I've had a couple of
frontends netbooting from .23-.25 and it's never been an issue. Menus and
Keeping a single image updated is just too handy. (Update one image on the
server, copy the directory, BAM. Multiple frontends updated.)

--Phill

dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken

Re: PXE Boot .25 mythbuntu [In reply to]

Hi,

just seeing this now.

>>> Has anyone been able to get .25 mythbuntu to PXE boot. I am building a
>>> new server to run .25 and the documentation is no longer valid.
>>
>> It works like a charm, but reviving the plugin in the Mythbuntu control
>> center would be appreciated.
>> I couldn't find the guide I was following right now, but this looks about right.
>>
>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/81446/how-do-i-set-up-network-boot-in-mythbuntu
>
> What version of ubuntu are you on?
>
> As I am building a new server I thought that I would go ahead and
> load the new LTS 12.04

I'm on 11.04, looking to update to 12.04 once I got some spare time
(and its the suggested update, currently I get 11.10 offered)

For a new installation I'd go with 12.04 LTS, too. The base of the
netboot is in LTSP so it should be up to date. (btw, 64bit works like a
charm)

Regards,
Karl

nick.rout at gmail

Re: PXE Boot .25 mythbuntu [In reply to]

Does this thread help at all?http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1967811