Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Old recordings show incorrect lengths during playback

sfkoch at gmail

Old recordings show incorrect lengths during playback

Since upgrading to 0.25, when I watch some of my old recordings the length
is displayed wrong in the OSD. For example, some 30 minute recordings of
the Twilight Zone show lengths from 43 minutes to as much as 10 and a half
hours. As I watch, the time progresses normally to 30 minutes when the
recording stops. On the other hand, the length displays correctly when I
edit the recording.

I haven't been able to identify much of a common thread between the
anomalous recordings. They all seem to be from the PVR-250 and PVR-500
era, I haven't found any recordings that I know to be from Firewire or
HDHomeRun with this problem yet. Not all of my MPEG encoder recordings
show the problem, though. What should I look for to troubleshoot this, or
what information should I try to gather so I can write a useful bug
report? I feel like I don't have much solid information to work with right
now.

Thanks,
Simon

stichnot at gmail

Re: Old recordings show incorrect lengths during playback [In reply to]

On Apr 26, 2012, at 9:14 PM, Simon Koch <sfkoch [at] gmail> wrote:

> Since upgrading to 0.25, when I watch some of my old recordings the length is displayed wrong in the OSD. For example, some 30 minute recordings of the Twilight Zone show lengths from 43 minutes to as much as 10 and a half hours. As I watch, the time progresses normally to 30 minutes when the recording stops. On the other hand, the length displays correctly when I edit the recording.
>
> I haven't been able to identify much of a common thread between the anomalous recordings. They all seem to be from the PVR-250 and PVR-500 era, I haven't found any recordings that I know to be from Firewire or HDHomeRun with this problem yet. Not all of my MPEG encoder recordings show the problem, though. What should I look for to troubleshoot this, or what information should I try to gather so I can write a useful bug report? I feel like I don't have much solid information to work with right now.

This sounds like http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10623 .

Jim

sfkoch at gmail

Re: Old recordings show incorrect lengths during playback [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2012, at 9:14 PM, Simon Koch <sfkoch [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > Since upgrading to 0.25, when I watch some of my old recordings the
> length is displayed wrong in the OSD. For example, some 30 minute
> recordings of the Twilight Zone show lengths from 43 minutes to as much as
> 10 and a half hours. As I watch, the time progresses normally to 30
> minutes when the recording stops. On the other hand, the length displays
> correctly when I edit the recording.
> >
> > I haven't been able to identify much of a common thread between the
> anomalous recordings. They all seem to be from the PVR-250 and PVR-500
> era, I haven't found any recordings that I know to be from Firewire or
> HDHomeRun with this problem yet. Not all of my MPEG encoder recordings
> show the problem, though. What should I look for to troubleshoot this, or
> what information should I try to gather so I can write a useful bug report?
> I feel like I don't have much solid information to work with right now.
> >

> This sounds like http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10623 .
>
> Jim

That's exactly it. That's what I get for not re-checking the bug list
after I try investigating it on my own.

Thanks,
Simon

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Old recordings show incorrect lengths during playback [In reply to]

On 04/28/2012 01:02 AM, Simon Koch wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>
>> On Apr 26, 2012, at 9:14 PM, Simon Koch wrote:
>>
>>> Since upgrading to 0.25, when I watch some of my old recordings the
>>> length is displayed wrong in the OSD. For example, some 30 minute
>>> recordings of the Twilight Zone show lengths from 43 minutes to as much as
>>> 10 and a half hours. As I watch, the time progresses normally to 30
>>> minutes when the recording stops. On the other hand, the length displays
>>> correctly when I edit the recording.
>>>
>>> I haven't been able to identify much of a common thread between the
>>> anomalous recordings. They all seem to be from the PVR-250 and PVR-500
>>> era, I haven't found any recordings that I know to be from Firewire or
>>> HDHomeRun with this problem yet. Not all of my MPEG encoder recordings
>>> show the problem, though. What should I look for to troubleshoot this, or
>>> what information should I try to gather so I can write a useful bug report?
>>> I feel like I don't have much solid information to work with right now.
>> This sounds like http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10623 .
>>
> That's exactly it. That's what I get for not re-checking the bug list
> after I try investigating it on my own.

FWIW, the ticket is wrong about, "Running a mythcommflag --rebuild on
the offending file will resolve the improper length, however it would
take significant work to manually rebuild all existing recordings in the
library impacted by this problem."

I have run --rebuild against all of nearly 2000 recordings and it took
only a few seconds of my time (and a day or 2 of background computer
time). Just set up a script to loop over all the files in the
recordings directories and queue a rebuild for each (and, for bonus
points, have it skip any "new since upgrade" recordings).

Mike

seven at seven

Re: Old recordings show incorrect lengths during playback [In reply to]

On 29/04/2012, at 12:56 AM, "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:

> On 04/28/2012 01:02 AM, Simon Koch wrote:

>>> This sounds like http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10623 .
>>>
>> That's exactly it. That's what I get for not re-checking the bug list
>> after I try investigating it on my own.
>>

> FWIW, the ticket is wrong about, "Running a mythcommflag --rebuild on the offending file will resolve the improper length, however it would take significant work to manually rebuild all existing recordings in the library impacted by this problem."
>
> I have run --rebuild against all of nearly 2000 recordings and it took only a few seconds of my time (and a day or 2 of background computer time). Just set up a script to loop over all the files in the recordings directories and queue a rebuild for each (and, for bonus points, have it skip any "new since upgrade" recordings).
>
> Mike

Doesn't running
mythcommflag --rebuild

With no other parameters just run for all recordings?

Cheers,

Anthony

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Old recordings show incorrect lengths during playback [In reply to]

On 04/29/2012 05:48 AM, Anthony Giggins wrote:
> On 29/04/2012, at 12:56 AM, "Michael T. Dean" wrote:

>>> That's exactly it. That's what I get for not re-checking the bug list
>>> after I try investigating it on my own.
>>>
>> FWIW, the ticket is wrong about, "Running a mythcommflag --rebuild on the offending file will resolve the improper length, however it would take significant work to manually rebuild all existing recordings in the library impacted by this problem."
>>
>> I have run --rebuild against all of nearly 2000 recordings and it took only a few seconds of my time (and a day or 2 of background computer time). Just set up a script to loop over all the files in the recordings directories and queue a rebuild for each (and, for bonus points, have it skip any "new since upgrade" recordings).
> Doesn't running
> mythcommflag --rebuild
>
> With no other parameters just run for all recordings?

It may--it never did in the past. The "run for all recordings without
commercial markers" only worked for the non-rebuild runs. Enough people
seem to think it does work for --rebuild, now, that someone may have
added that feature.

Mike