Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

myth .25 verdict?

daniel.armbrust.list at gmail

myth .25 verdict?

So, what's the general consensus on a .25 upgrade?

Is it good? Or, does it break a bunch of things, and typical users
should wait a bit, for the first round of fixes? Kinda like waiting
for SP1 of a MS release :)

In general, every update I've made in the last couple of years has
made my system worse... and I'm rather reluctant to go through the
battle again, but my current .24 system has several annoying bugs*....
I'd sure be happy if they were fixed in .25

* The scheduler can't seem to figure out when it is already recording.
I frequently end up with 3 copies of the same show, each recorded by
a different tuner, at the same time. Although, only one of them
starts on time... the others start at some random (late) time into the
show.
* Size 0 recordings - I still see these once in a while - marked
successful, size 0, upon playback, no file can be found. But this
issue has gotten better as patches came out on .24.
* MythVideo has all sorts of issues getting the right data for my
files... about 10% of the time it looks up the correct program ID from
one data service, and then uses that ID on a different data service,
resulting in the complete wrong information (coverart, description,
filename) on the screen.
* MythWeather - useless - I have never seen this work.

eric at lisaneric

Re: myth .25 verdict? [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Dan Armbrust
<daniel.armbrust.list [at] gmail> wrote:
> So, what's the general consensus on a .25 upgrade?
>
> Is it good?  Or, does it break a bunch of things, and typical users
> should wait a bit, for the first round of fixes?  Kinda like waiting
> for SP1 of a MS release :)

It seems mostly good. Some people are very unhappy with the changes
made to MythMusic, while other people seem to like it. There have
been some other trouble reports, as can be expected, but most people
don't seem to be having much trouble with it overall. As always, your
mileage may vary. Have your money back guarantee handy.

Eric

thomas at mashos

Re: myth .25 verdict? [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Dan Armbrust
> <daniel.armbrust.list [at] gmail> wrote:
>> So, what's the general consensus on a .25 upgrade?
>>
>> Is it good?  Or, does it break a bunch of things, and typical users
>> should wait a bit, for the first round of fixes?  Kinda like waiting
>> for SP1 of a MS release :)
>
> It seems mostly good.  Some people are very unhappy with the changes
> made to MythMusic, while other people seem to like it.  There have
> been some other trouble reports, as can be expected, but most people
> don't seem to be having much trouble with it overall.  As always, your
> mileage may vary.  Have your money back guarantee handy.
>
> Eric

If the OP is using Mythbuntu (or Ubuntu), he can also enable our
updates repository (which is recommended) and get fixes as they roll
in, rather than waiting for a point release (which is just a snapshot
in time of the fixes branch)

jedi at mishnet

Re: myth .25 verdict? [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:39:57PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Dan Armbrust
> <daniel.armbrust.list [at] gmail> wrote:
> > So, what's the general consensus on a .25 upgrade?
> >
> > Is it good?  Or, does it break a bunch of things, and typical users
> > should wait a bit, for the first round of fixes?  Kinda like waiting
> > for SP1 of a MS release :)
>
> It seems mostly good. Some people are very unhappy with the changes
> made to MythMusic, while other people seem to like it. There have

Try it in a VM first and see if you like it.

Just be careful that your .25 install doesn't try to connect to your
old backend and upgrade it.

[deletia]

drescherjm at gmail

Re: myth .25 verdict? [In reply to]

>    Try it in a VM first and see if you like it.
>
>    Just be careful that your .25 install doesn't try to connect to your
> old backend and upgrade it.

When I get around to testing this. I plan to make a btrfs snapshot of
my os before the upgrade then I will easily be able to go back if
major breakage occurs. Last weekend I converted the OS from ext4 to
btrfs as a first step.

John

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Re: myth .25 verdict? [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Dan Armbrust
<daniel.armbrust.list [at] gmail> wrote:
> So, what's the general consensus on a .25 upgrade?
>
> Is it good?  Or, does it break a bunch of things, and typical users
> should wait a bit, for the first round of fixes?  Kinda like waiting
> for SP1 of a MS release :)
>
> In general, every update I've made in the last couple of years has
> made my system worse... and I'm rather reluctant to go through the
> battle again, but my current .24 system has several annoying bugs*....
> I'd sure be happy if they were fixed in .25
>
> * The scheduler can't seem to figure out when it is already recording.
>  I frequently end up with 3 copies of the same show, each recorded by
> a different tuner, at the same time.  Although, only one of them
> starts on time... the others start at some random (late) time into the
> show.
> * Size 0 recordings - I still see these once in a while - marked
> successful, size 0, upon playback, no file can be found.  But this
> issue has gotten better as patches came out on .24.
> * MythVideo has all sorts of issues getting the right data for my
> files... about 10% of the time it looks up the correct program ID from
> one data service, and then uses that ID on a different data service,
> resulting in the complete wrong information (coverart, description,
> filename) on the screen.
> * MythWeather - useless - I have never seen this work.

In general I've found it to be a huge improvement over 0.24 except for
MythMusic. The backend runs much better for me, some nice improvements
in audio and video output and features, and the metadata lookup stuff
has really come a long way.

Your scheduler issue sounds more like an issue with your setup than an
inherent flaw in MythTV, I've never seen it do that and I have 6
tuners.

I don't have an HDPVR anymore, but my parents have two, I've yet to
see a 0-byte recording from them, though it could also be that it had
to reschedule a recording because of an error that would normally
leave a 0-byte recording.

Metadata lookup has been much improved. I haven't noticed any false
hits as when Myth is "confused" it will request user intervention.

I don't use MythWeather for the same reason, so I have not yet checked
to see, but I don't see how it could be any worse, and the Release
Notes show some bug fixing and such has occurred.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!

davebrown099 at gmail

Re: myth .25 verdict? [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 9:14 PM, Dan Armbrust <
daniel.armbrust.list [at] gmail> wrote:

> So, what's the general consensus on a .25 upgrade?
>
> Is it good? Or, does it break a bunch of things, and typical users
> should wait a bit, for the first round of fixes? Kinda like waiting
> for SP1 of a MS release :)
>
> In general its been a great improvement in particular mythmusic which we
now use much more.

Upgrade was smooth with no problems.

Many thanks to the devs

mikkel at broerne

Re: myth .25 verdict? [In reply to]

What the verdict on LiveTV? Have the bugs been fixed?

I will wait
with my upgrade until LiveTV is as stabil as in .24 ;-)

Cheers

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Re: myth .25 verdict? [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:52 AM, <mikkel [at] broerne> wrote:
> What the verdict on LiveTV? Have the bugs been fixed?
>
> I will wait with my upgrade until LiveTV is as stabil as in .24 ;-)
>
> Cheers

What issues did you have? I haven't had any with 0.25 but I didn't
really have many with 0.24 either.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,

jaceksburghardt at gmail

Re: myth .25 verdict? [In reply to]

I have to say that mythtv is the best version yet. It is very stable.
I personaly belive that 0.25 is most stable yet. It seems people are
don't like changes to plugins. I wish that source code was separated
mythtvbackend from frontend. What would make myth great is
concentration on investing developers time into mythbackend and
integration with xbmc pvr. Clearly there number of users that only use
mythfrontend but since xbmc has many same functions and does so many
things better than mythfrontend and plugins.

Re: myth .25 verdict? [In reply to]

> Your scheduler issue sounds more like an issue with your setup than an
> inherent flaw in MythTV, I've never seen it do that and I have 6
> tuners.

Yea, I went around on the list about this before... it started
happening sometime between .23 and .24... but I was never able to fix
it. Or get a lead on what was causing it, be it myth or config
related. But it sure seemed like a bug to me that it wouldn't realize
it was already recording the exact same show, on the same channel. I
even did a clean install after a HD failure, and it was still
happening.

Not worth discussing again until I upgrade to current, at this point, however.

> I don't have an HDPVR anymore, but my parents have two, I've yet to
> see a 0-byte recording from them, though it could also be that it had
> to reschedule a recording because of an error that would normally
> leave a 0-byte recording.

My issue looked the same, but it wasn't HDPVR specific (I don't have
any). Somewhere in the .23-.24 timeline, several things got broken
that resulted in 0 byte files, and then completely mishandling the
detection of a recording failure in those cases. But most people
experienced it with the HDPVR... so it was hard to keep a clean thread
on the different but identical looking issues there. But that has
gotten better on my system with the more recent fixes. I just hope it
doesn't come back when I upgrade :)

> Metadata lookup has been much improved. I haven't noticed any false
> hits as when Myth is "confused" it will request user intervention.

Cool. This is one of my biggest gripes. The old system thinks it
knows best... and it had no useful off switch or override switch when
it went hayware.

> I don't use MythWeather for the same reason, so I have not yet checked
> to see, but I don't see how it could be any worse, and the Release
> Notes show some bug fixing and such has occurred.

Yea, I don't understand why that was even included in the previous releases.

Looks like I might have a Sunday project coming up as most people
appear happy with the upgrade.

Hard to get a good picture looking over the mailing list otherwise,
cause its usually just people commenting on what is wrong, not what is
right :)

Dan

gjhurlbu at gmail

Re: myth .25 verdict? [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Dan Armbrust
<daniel.armbrust.list [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I don't use MythWeather for the same reason, so I have not yet checked
>> to see, but I don't see how it could be any worse, and the Release
>> Notes show some bug fixing and such has occurred.
>
> Yea, I don't understand why that was even included in the previous releases.

Mythweather has been mostly working in 0.24, and definitely worked in
0.25 last I looked at it. The main issue is what you search for when
adding sources. Some sources work better with a city name, some will
do zip code (in the US), etc. But the functionality is there. If
not, start making bug reports. :)

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Re: myth .25 verdict? [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Dan Armbrust
<daniel.armbrust.list [at] gmail> wrote:

>> Your scheduler issue sounds more like an issue with your setup than an
>> inherent flaw in MythTV, I've never seen it do that and I have 6
>> tuners.
>
> Yea, I went around on the list about this before... it started
> happening sometime between .23 and .24... but I was never able to fix
> it.  Or get a lead on what was causing it, be it myth or config
> related.  But it sure seemed like a bug to me that it wouldn't realize
> it was already recording the exact same show, on the same channel.  I
> even did  a clean install after a HD failure, and it was still
> happening.
>
> Not worth discussing again until I upgrade to current, at this point, however.

definitely bring it up again once you do. sometimes it just takes a
"reboot" of an issue on the list to actually get anywhere.

>> I don't have an HDPVR anymore, but my parents have two, I've yet to
>> see a 0-byte recording from them, though it could also be that it had
>> to reschedule a recording because of an error that would normally
>> leave a 0-byte recording.
>
> My issue looked the same, but it wasn't HDPVR specific (I don't have
> any).  Somewhere in the .23-.24 timeline, several things got broken
> that resulted in 0 byte files, and then completely mishandling the
> detection of a recording failure in those cases.  But most people
> experienced it with the HDPVR... so it was hard to keep a clean thread
> on the different but identical looking issues there.  But that has
> gotten better on my system with the more recent fixes.  I just hope it
> doesn't come back when I upgrade :)

Ah, well, with my two QAM tuners and a Ceton I have not had any 0byte
recordings. The only time I saw them on my system or my parents system
was with the HDPVR, which so far (a few weeks on their system, since
rc1 release on mine) has not been an issue.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: myth .25 verdict? [In reply to]

On 04/26/2012 05:21 PM, Dan Armbrust wrote:
>> Your scheduler issue sounds more like an issue with your setup than an
>> inherent flaw in MythTV, I've never seen it do that and I have 6
>> tuners.
> Yea, I went around on the list about this before... it started
> happening sometime between .23 and .24... but I was never able to fix
> it. Or get a lead on what was causing it, be it myth or config
> related. But it sure seemed like a bug to me that it wouldn't realize
> it was already recording the exact same show, on the same channel. I
> even did a clean install after a HD failure, and it was still
> happening.
>
> Not worth discussing again until I upgrade to current, at this point, however.

This is a known issue. If you have multiple channels on which the exact
same episode of a show airs at the exact same time, but the channels
have different callsigns, MythTV will end up recording all of the
showings from the "different" (according to your configuration--since
they have different callsigns) channels (that probably aren't different
in reality).

Generally, this only happens when the channels actually air the exact
same content all the time--meaning they are the same channel on
different video sources (or, perhaps, an SDTV and HDTV version of the
same channel). If this is the case--if the schedule on both channels is
identical all the time--change both to have the same callsign or make
the "unwanted" version (i.e. SDTV version) not visible or delete that
channel or ...

Use mythtv-setup or MythWeb channel editor to edit the callsigns.

Mike

warpme at o2

Re: myth .25 verdict? [In reply to]

On 4/25/12 10:14 PM, Dan Armbrust wrote:
> So, what's the general consensus on a .25 upgrade?
>
> Is it good? Or, does it break a bunch of things, and typical users
> should wait a bit, for the first round of fixes? Kinda like waiting
> for SP1 of a MS release :)
>
> In general, every update I've made in the last couple of years has
> made my system worse... and I'm rather reluctant to go through the
> battle again, but my current .24 system has several annoying bugs*....
> I'd sure be happy if they were fixed in .25
>
> * The scheduler can't seem to figure out when it is already recording.
> I frequently end up with 3 copies of the same show, each recorded by
> a different tuner, at the same time. Although, only one of them
> starts on time... the others start at some random (late) time into the
> show.
> * Size 0 recordings - I still see these once in a while - marked
> successful, size 0, upon playback, no file can be found. But this
> issue has gotten better as patches came out on .24.
> * MythVideo has all sorts of issues getting the right data for my
> files... about 10% of the time it looks up the correct program ID from
> one data service, and then uses that ID on a different data service,
> resulting in the complete wrong information (coverart, description,
> filename) on the screen.
> * MythWeather - useless - I have never seen this work.

Just my 0.02$

IMHO it is FAR best version ever.

I'm in mythtv camp since 0.17. It serves our whole home (3 diskless ION1
FE + headless BE).
All users heavily using PVR capability. This resulting approx 35-50 rec
per day from 2xDVB-S2 + 1xDVB-T. Regarding 0B recordings - since last
months I didn't saw single 0B rec.file. Taking into account that it was
over 1000 rec - this shows current BE quality.
Things which is now little showstopper is #10647.

Regarding mythtvideo: usually, before copying movie file into BE
storage, I make sure file name is the same like movie title on TMDB.
With this approach I don't have any issue with movies metadata (few
hundredths of them).

Comparing to 0.24 I would say following:
+runs really smooth on ION1 (maybe placebo but anyway: ION is REALLY
nice platform for 0.25)
+perfect reliability for recording
+LiveTV finally really usable for my hommies (except annoying #10647 and
little slowness on channels change)
+mythmusic finally is on MythUI

-lack of OSD notifications for general msg, VoIP, etc (in 0.24 I used it
for notifying about e-mails, showing sys.temps and VoIP calls on our home)
-lack of mythmusic dir.tree presentation aka dj mode (I really really
miss this !!!!!)
-high mythmusic UI sluggishness after some usage (definitely resources
leak here)

I really encourage You to switch to 0.25. From stability & quality point
of view - for me it was day & night compared to 0.24.

-br
Attachments: warpme.vcf (83 B)

jayf0ster at sbcglobal

Re: myth .25 verdict? [In reply to]

On 4/27/2012 2:50 AM, "Michael T. Dean"<mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
> On 04/26/2012 05:21 PM, Dan Armbrust wrote:
>> > Yea, I went around on the list about this before... it started
>> > happening sometime between .23 and .24... but I was never able to fix
>> > it. Or get a lead on what was causing it, be it myth or config
>> > related. But it sure seemed like a bug to me that it wouldn't realize
>> > it was already recording the exact same show, on the same channel. I
>> > even did a clean install after a HD failure, and it was still
>> > happening.
>> >
>> > Not worth discussing again until I upgrade to current, at this point, however.
>> >
> This is a known issue. If you have multiple channels on which the exact
> same episode of a show airs at the exact same time, but the channels
> have different callsigns, MythTV will end up recording all of the
> showings from the "different" (according to your configuration--since
> they have different callsigns) channels (that probably aren't different
> in reality).
>
> Generally, this only happens when the channels actually air the exact
> same content all the time--meaning they are the same channel on
> different video sources (or, perhaps, an SDTV and HDTV version of the
> same channel). If this is the case--if the schedule on both channels is
> identical all the time--change both to have the same callsign or make
> the "unwanted" version (i.e. SDTV version) not visible or delete that
> channel or ...
>
> Use mythtv-setup or MythWeb channel editor to edit the callsigns.
>
> Mike

Does this happen if you select 'Record any time from channel XXX', or
only when selecting 'Record any time on any channel'?

This would be an upgrade deal killer for me (still running 0.21-fixes).
I have several different channel sets that air the same programs (same
program ID), but only some of the time. I choose which channel I want
any particular recording from. At other times, these channels air
different programs, so I want the ability to record them. I cannot just
hide these channels, because they are not duplicate channels, they just
sometimes carry the same programming (ie, during prime time).

Jay

eric at lisaneric

Re: myth .25 verdict? [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster [at] sbcglobal> wrote:
> On 4/27/2012 2:50 AM, "Michael T. Dean"<mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
>> This is a known issue.  If you have multiple channels on which the exact
>> same episode of a show airs at the exact same time, but the channels
>> have different callsigns, MythTV will end up recording all of the
>> showings from the "different" (according to your configuration--since
>> they have different callsigns) channels (that probably aren't different
>> in reality).
>
> Does this happen if you select 'Record any time from channel XXX',

I don't believe so.

I also believe this only happens for "generic" episodes, that lack an
explicit episode number/subtitle. (At least, that's the only time I
recall running into this personally.)

Eric

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: myth .25 verdict? [In reply to]

On 04/27/2012 05:50 AM, Warpme wrote:
> -lack of OSD notifications for general msg, VoIP, etc (in 0.24 I used
> it for notifying about e-mails, showing sys.temps and VoIP calls on
> our home)

Have you looked at mythutil?

Mike