Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

0.25 Howto enable 3D support

 

 

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


seven at seven

Apr 25, 2012, 2:45 AM

Post #1 of 16 (2536 views)
Permalink
0.25 Howto enable 3D support

I read in the release notes of 3D support but for the life of me I can't work out howto enable it?

Cheers,

Anthony
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


jyavenard at gmail

Apr 25, 2012, 3:42 AM

Post #2 of 16 (2491 views)
Permalink
Re: 0.25 Howto enable 3D support [In reply to]

On 25 April 2012 19:45, Anthony Giggins <seven [at] seven> wrote:
> I read in the release notes of 3D support but for the life of me I can't work out howto enable it?
>
> Cheers,

During PlayBack: Menu -> Video -> 3D
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


seven at seven

Apr 25, 2012, 4:36 AM

Post #3 of 16 (2480 views)
Permalink
Re: 0.25 Howto enable 3D support [In reply to]

On 25/04/2012, at 8:42 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 25 April 2012 19:45, Anthony Giggins <seven [at] seven> wrote:
>> I read in the release notes of 3D support but for the life of me I can't work out howto enable it?
>>
>> Cheers,
>
> During PlayBack: Menu -> Video -> 3D
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

Mmmmm any reason why I wouldn't have this option? I noticed the key bindings but have not tried them

Cheers,

Anthony
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


stichnot at gmail

Apr 25, 2012, 6:27 AM

Post #4 of 16 (2477 views)
Permalink
Re: 0.25 Howto enable 3D support [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Anthony Giggins
<seven [at] seven> wrote:
>
>
> On 25/04/2012, at 8:42 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> On 25 April 2012 19:45, Anthony Giggins <seven [at] seven> wrote:
>>> I read in the release notes of 3D support but for the life of me I can't work out howto enable it?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>
>> During PlayBack: Menu -> Video -> 3D
>> _______________________________________________
>> mythtv-users mailing list
>> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
>> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
> Mmmmm any reason why I wouldn't have this option? I noticed the key bindings but have not tried them

From looking at the code, it seems that 3D support is only enabled
with the OpenGL or OpenGLVAAPI video renderers. Not, e.g., VDPAU.

Jim
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


seven at seven

Apr 25, 2012, 2:54 PM

Post #5 of 16 (2465 views)
Permalink
Re: 0.25 Howto enable 3D support [In reply to]

On 25 April 2012 23:27, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Anthony Giggins
> <seven [at] seven> wrote:
> >
> >
> > On 25/04/2012, at 8:42 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail>
> wrote:
> >
> >> On 25 April 2012 19:45, Anthony Giggins <seven [at] seven>
> wrote:
> >>> I read in the release notes of 3D support but for the life of me I
> can't work out howto enable it?
> >>>
> >>> Cheers,
> >>
> >> During PlayBack: Menu -> Video -> 3D
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> mythtv-users mailing list
> >> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> >> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> >
> > Mmmmm any reason why I wouldn't have this option? I noticed the key
> bindings but have not tried them
>
> From looking at the code, it seems that 3D support is only enabled
> with the OpenGL or OpenGLVAAPI video renderers. Not, e.g., VDPAU.
>
> Jim
>
> Doh

I guess the way around this is to create another playback profile for extra
wide content?

will this support ever come to VDPAU?

Cheers,

Anthony


gary.buhrmaster at gmail

Apr 25, 2012, 5:56 PM

Post #6 of 16 (2468 views)
Permalink
Re: 0.25 Howto enable 3D support [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 21:54, Anthony Giggins
<seven [at] seven> wrote:
....
> will this support ever come to VDPAU?

Never say never, but it is my recollection is that
only the latest nVidia chips (purevideo feature set
D or VP5) can handle the number of macro blocks
needed for decoding 1080p 3D. And, last I recall,
nVidia had not yet created a public API to support
MVC decoding (although that is "just" a software
issue).
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


seven at seven

Jun 14, 2012, 5:21 PM

Post #7 of 16 (2335 views)
Permalink
Re: 0.25 Howto enable 3D support [In reply to]

On 26 April 2012 07:54, Anthony Giggins <seven [at] seven> wrote:

>
>
> On 25 April 2012 23:27, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Anthony Giggins
>> <seven [at] seven> wrote:
>> >
>> >
>> > On 25/04/2012, at 8:42 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> >> On 25 April 2012 19:45, Anthony Giggins <seven [at] seven>
>> wrote:
>> >>> I read in the release notes of 3D support but for the life of me I
>> can't work out howto enable it?
>> >>>
>> >>> Cheers,
>> >>
>> >> During PlayBack: Menu -> Video -> 3D
>> >> _______________________________________________
>> >> mythtv-users mailing list
>> >> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
>> >> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>> >
>> > Mmmmm any reason why I wouldn't have this option? I noticed the key
>> bindings but have not tried them
>>
>> From looking at the code, it seems that 3D support is only enabled
>> with the OpenGL or OpenGLVAAPI video renderers. Not, e.g., VDPAU.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> Doh
>
> I guess the way around this is to create another playback profile for
> extra wide content?
>
> will this support ever come to VDPAU?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Anthony
>
>
I finally got around to testing this by modifying the VDPAU Profile from
res > 0 0

to res > 0 0 < 1920 720 vdpau vdpau
res => 1920 720 ffmpeg opengl ( I think)

but no matter what content I played it all went to the second profile as I
was getting the 3D enable option :(

Has anyone got this working? and can you share your playback profile
settings?

Cheers,

Anthony


fbp.mythtv at gmail

Jul 20, 2012, 8:15 AM

Post #8 of 16 (2223 views)
Permalink
Re: 0.25 Howto enable 3D support [In reply to]

Anthony Giggins seven [at] seven via mythtv.org wrote:

> Has anyone got this working? and can you share your playback profile
settings?

I'm coming to this late, but I've just gotten an LG 47LM7600 with "cinema
3d". I got some 3d content in the form of .mkv files. In the file name it
indicated that it was "side-by-side" 3d content. One of them indicated in
its file name that it was 1080p.

My mythbox (BE/FE, GT430, Mythbuntu 12.04, MythTV 0.25-fixes, 2-core Athlon
64) didn't need any changes to enable 3d display. I just loaded the video
file up in the FE, started playing it, hit the 3d button on the TV remote,
selected side-by-side format, and voila!

3d.

Looks great except the OSD is all messed up: basically the OSD stretched
over twice the width of the screen. Close your right eye to see the left
half of the OSD and close your left eye to see the right half of the OSD.

But other than that the 3d looks great.

So, I repeat: I didn't have to make any changes in MythTV to enable 3d
display, and other than the messed-up OSD, it works great.

My current playback profile is

VDPAU HQ FBP

if rez > 0 0 -> vdpau & vdpau

This was the same playback profile I had under 0.24, and it was carried
over when I rebuilt the system with 0.25 a couple of weeks ago.


-FBP


dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken

Jul 20, 2012, 11:45 AM

Post #9 of 16 (2218 views)
Permalink
Re: 0.25 Howto enable 3D support [In reply to]

On 20.07.2012 17:15, F.B. Parker wrote:
>
> Anthony Giggins seven [at] seven
> <mailto:seven [at] seven> via mythtv.org <http://mythtv.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone got this working? and can you share your playback profile
> settings?

according to
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/18976c4b137aeeb264e2857ddc4851eef530024e/mythtv
the GUI can be switched to stereoscopic rendering but the signaling is
missing. So no automatic switch to stereo when playing a stereoscopic
file and no signaling to your TV to switch to stereoscopic mode.

Regards,
Karl
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


nick.rout at gmail

Jul 20, 2012, 3:00 PM

Post #10 of 16 (2219 views)
Permalink
Re: 0.25 Howto enable 3D support [In reply to]

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 3:15 AM, F.B. Parker <fbp.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> Anthony Giggins seven [at] seven via mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> Has anyone got this working? and can you share your playback profile
>> settings?
>
> I'm coming to this late, but I've just gotten an LG 47LM7600 with "cinema
> 3d". I got some 3d content in the form of .mkv files. In the file name it
> indicated that it was "side-by-side" 3d content. One of them indicated in
> its file name that it was 1080p.
>
> My mythbox (BE/FE, GT430, Mythbuntu 12.04, MythTV 0.25-fixes, 2-core Athlon
> 64) didn't need any changes to enable 3d display. I just loaded the video
> file up in the FE, started playing it, hit the 3d button on the TV remote,
> selected side-by-side format, and voila!
>
> 3d.
>
> Looks great except the OSD is all messed up: basically the OSD stretched
> over twice the width of the screen. Close your right eye to see the left
> half of the OSD and close your left eye to see the right half of the OSD.
>
> But other than that the 3d looks great.
>
> So, I repeat: I didn't have to make any changes in MythTV to enable 3d
> display, and other than the messed-up OSD, it works great.
>

I have the same experience with side by side and mythtv (and xbmc)
with an LG Cinema 3D TV. I am using a revo with ION2.

1080p in this case is only 960x1080 for each "side" of the picture,
so half the 1920x1080 resolution of a 2D movie. I have seen 3480x1080
encodes but IIRC that is wider than vdpau copes with.

3D Blurays don't encode 3D as side by side though, they have a normal
full format 1920x1080 track, and another stream that is basically the
difference between the left and right eyes. One eye is made up of the
2D stream with the difference track applied. This is obviously far
more space efficient than storing both eyes at full resolution. Does
mythtv's 3D support cope with this type of encode?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Blu-ray#Blu-ray_3D
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


nick.rout at gmail

Jul 20, 2012, 3:03 PM

Post #11 of 16 (2218 views)
Permalink
Re: 0.25 Howto enable 3D support [In reply to]

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 6:45 AM, Karl Dietz
<dekarl [at] spaetfruehstuecken> wrote:
> On 20.07.2012 17:15, F.B. Parker wrote:
>>
>>
>> Anthony Giggins seven [at] seven
>> <mailto:seven [at] seven> via mythtv.org <http://mythtv.org>
>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Has anyone got this working? and can you share your playback profile
>> settings?
>
>
> according to
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/18976c4b137aeeb264e2857ddc4851eef530024e/mythtv
> the GUI can be switched to stereoscopic rendering but the signaling is
> missing. So no automatic switch to stereo when playing a stereoscopic
> file and no signaling to your TV to switch to stereoscopic mode.

Also the gui 3d rendering only works on opengl, not vdpau.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


seven at seven

Jul 20, 2012, 5:40 PM

Post #12 of 16 (2208 views)
Permalink
Re: 0.25 Howto enable 3D support [In reply to]

On 21 July 2012 08:03, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 6:45 AM, Karl Dietz
> <dekarl [at] spaetfruehstuecken> wrote:
> > On 20.07.2012 17:15, F.B. Parker wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >> Anthony Giggins seven [at] seven
> >> <mailto:seven [at] seven> via mythtv.org <http://mythtv.org>
> >>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> > Has anyone got this working? and can you share your playback profile
> >> settings?
> >
> >
> > according to
> >
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/18976c4b137aeeb264e2857ddc4851eef530024e/mythtv
> > the GUI can be switched to stereoscopic rendering but the signaling is
> > missing. So no automatic switch to stereo when playing a stereoscopic
> > file and no signaling to your TV to switch to stereoscopic mode.
>
> Also the gui 3d rendering only works on opengl, not vdpau.
>

The mythtv 3D support make the Gui not messed up when viewing, ofcourse
this isn't needed to view 3D content as the TV does all the work.

Will this support come to vdpau or is it not capable?

Cheers,

Anthony


nick.rout at gmail

Jul 21, 2012, 4:21 AM

Post #13 of 16 (2195 views)
Permalink
Re: 0.25 Howto enable 3D support [In reply to]

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Anthony Giggins
<seven [at] seven> wrote:
>
>
> On 21 July 2012 08:03, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 6:45 AM, Karl Dietz
>> <dekarl [at] spaetfruehstuecken> wrote:
>> > On 20.07.2012 17:15, F.B. Parker wrote:
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> Anthony Giggins seven [at] seven
>> >> <mailto:seven [at] seven> via mythtv.org <http://mythtv.org>
>> >>
>> >> wrote:
>> >>
>> >> > Has anyone got this working? and can you share your playback profile
>> >> settings?
>> >
>> >
>> > according to
>> >
>> > http://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/18976c4b137aeeb264e2857ddc4851eef530024e/mythtv
>> > the GUI can be switched to stereoscopic rendering but the signaling is
>> > missing. So no automatic switch to stereo when playing a stereoscopic
>> > file and no signaling to your TV to switch to stereoscopic mode.
>>
>> Also the gui 3d rendering only works on opengl, not vdpau.
>
>
> The mythtv 3D support make the Gui not messed up when viewing, ofcourse this
> isn't needed to view 3D content as the TV does all the work.
>
> Will this support come to vdpau or is it not capable?

Do you mean the 3D gui? I hope it comes to vdpau.

Can you tell me if you have got a 3D bluray or other MVC encoding to
play via mythtv?
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


fbp.mythtv at gmail

Jul 21, 2012, 11:19 AM

Post #14 of 16 (2186 views)
Permalink
Re: 0.25 Howto enable 3D support [In reply to]

FWIW, it seems the the FE can't handle just any side-by-side 3d file:
another side-by-side file I watched would not work with the MythTV FE, but
it plays fine in the TV's built-in player. The file looks right in the FE
at first: the screen is split between two nearly identical images. Then
when I set the TV to side-by-side 3d mode, it does its thing but the two
eyes' images end up about a foot apart on the screen - way more stereo than
can be seen by human eyes.


nick.rout at gmail

Jul 21, 2012, 3:09 PM

Post #15 of 16 (2183 views)
Permalink
Re: 0.25 Howto enable 3D support [In reply to]

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 6:19 AM, F.B. Parker <fbp.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> FWIW, it seems the the FE can't handle just any side-by-side 3d file:
> another side-by-side file I watched would not work with the MythTV FE, but
> it plays fine in the TV's built-in player. The file looks right in the FE at
> first: the screen is split between two nearly identical images. Then when I
> set the TV to side-by-side 3d mode, it does its thing but the two eyes'
> images end up about a foot apart on the screen - way more stereo than can be
> seen by human eyes.
>

Interesting, any player should be able to play a side by side file. It
needs no special processing, the TV combines the picture to create the
3D. All the player does is play the file as usual. It's just that each
frame has two pictures in it.

So how do mplayer, xine, XBMC etc cope with that file?

Do you have a sample?
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


fbp.mythtv at gmail

Jul 22, 2012, 7:07 AM

Post #16 of 16 (2172 views)
Permalink
Re: 0.25 Howto enable 3D support [In reply to]

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 6:19 AM, F.B. Parker <fbp.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> > FWIW, it seems the the FE can't handle just any side-by-side 3d file:
>



> Interesting, any player should be able to play a side by side file. It
> needs no special processing, the TV combines the picture to create the
> 3D. All the player does is play the file as usual. It's just that each
> frame has two pictures in it.
>
>


I had a "duh" moment. :)

I had started playing it in a zoomed mode. (The zoom modes you get to with
the "W" key in the Myth FE.) With the zoom set to "Off" it plays fine.


-FBP

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.