Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

kane.tse at gmail

My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows

I have the older HDHomerun (white model with dual tuners). After just
over a year of reliable service in MythTV-0.24.x under Fedora, it has
become nearly useless in the past week. The symptom is an increasing
amount of glitches in the recording, progressing to the point of being
unwatchable. It appears similar to when signal strength is low.

I have the same antenna hooked up to a Hauppauge HVR-850 and the
built-in ATSC tuner on my TV, and both can receive OTA signals
flawlessly. In fact, the HVR-850 is functioning 100% with MythTV, so
it's not a signal problem.

Initial Google searches pointed to the HDHomerun power supply, and
although my power supply was not one of the recalled ones, I swapped
out the HDHomerun with another power supply with the same specs, and
the problems remained. Then (returning to the original HDHomerun
power adapter) I tried using the Silicon Dust's Windows program to
access the HDHomerun, and the signal was perfect.

Also did a test of my backend's network card, and don't see any packet loss.

I believe from these steps, I have ruled out the following:

1) It is not a signal reception issue; as other tuners (HVR-850) are
working fine.
2) It is not an HDHomerun hardware problem; as I can tune successfully
from Windows.
3) It is not a playback issue - because older recordings can be played
back successfully.

I have not updated my Linux recently. I am considering a complete
wipe of Linux because I'm running Fedora 15, but that's a desperation
move best left until after season finales have aired in May.
Hopefully there are other alternate solutions I can attempt.

Can anyone advise me on where to look?

Thanks!

eric at lisaneric

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Kane Tse <kane.tse [at] gmail> wrote:
> Can anyone advise me on where to look?

Is it only a problem with mythtv recordings? In other words, have you
tried running the Silicon Dust Linux version of their utility on your
backend?

Eric

kane.tse at gmail

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:
> Is it only a problem with mythtv recordings?  In other words, have you
> tried running the Silicon Dust Linux version of their utility on your
> backend?

I have not tried with the Silicon Dust Linux. I don't even think I
have that installed. However, will give it a shot and report back.

mattslists at gmail

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

I'm wondering if there's a network issue with the HDHR. I wasn unable
to get a signal lock with mythtv & the hdhr that were solved by doing
an ifup / ifdown on the interface the HDHR was connected to after
mythtv had started. The hdhomerun config util worked fine and would
tune/scan but myth would only get a partial lock until I restarted the
network card.

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Kane Tse <kane.tse [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:
>> Is it only a problem with mythtv recordings? In other words, have you
>> tried running the Silicon Dust Linux version of their utility on your
>> backend?
>
> I have not tried with the Silicon Dust Linux. I don't even think I
> have that installed. However, will give it a shot and report back.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the hdhomerun_config_gui utility to
run. Despite running 'ldconfig' as per SiliconDust's instructions at
http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdhomerun/downloads/linux/, I still
the same message about:

hdhomerun_config_gui: error while loading shared libraries:
libhdhomerun.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Matt Boyd <mattslists [at] gmail> wrote:
> I'm wondering if there's a network issue with the HDHR. I wasn unable
> to get a signal lock with mythtv & the hdhr that were solved by doing
> an ifup / ifdown on the interface the HDHR was connected to after
> mythtv had started. The hdhomerun config util worked fine and would
> tune/scan but myth would only get a partial lock until I restarted the
> network card.

Tried that, it didn't work.

Looking increasingly like a reformat is on the horizon (sigh). I
don't even seem to be able to upgrade to 0.25 using atrpms (Fedora 15)
either due to broken package dependencies.

eric at lisaneric

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Kane Tse <kane.tse [at] gmail> wrote:
> Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the hdhomerun_config_gui utility to
> run.  Despite running 'ldconfig' as per SiliconDust's instructions at
> http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdhomerun/downloads/linux/, I still
> the same message about:
>
> hdhomerun_config_gui: error while loading shared libraries:
> libhdhomerun.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory

Was the build successful? If it built but didn't install in the right
place for Fedora you can try:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/libhdhomerun

before running it. That should get it to load the library even if you
don't install it in your system folders.

(I'm guessing the script installed it in /usr/local/lib but your
Fedora system is looking in /usr/local/lib64.)

Eric

kane.tse at gmail

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

> Was the build successful?  If it built but didn't install in the right
> place for Fedora you can try:
>
>  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/libhdhomerun
>
> before running it.  That should get it to load the library even if you
> don't install it in your system folders.
>
> (I'm guessing the script installed it in /usr/local/lib but your
> Fedora system is looking in /usr/local/lib64.)

The build was successful, I was carefully checking for any signs of
errors, of which there were none. Anyway, the export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=
line worked, and now I can run the GUI. If I scan for a channel, it
does indeed find my OTA channels and reports them as a very strong
signal. However, when I click the View button, nothing happens at
all.

On a whim, I went back into mythfrontend, and I can still access the
HDHomerun tuners via LiveTV, although the signal is still extremely
glitchy/blocky.

mattslists at gmail

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

Clicking view opens VLC to play the stream, do you have VLC installed?
Might also load the default video player...

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Kane Tse <kane.tse [at] gmail> wrote:

>> Was the build successful?  If it built but didn't install in the right
>> place for Fedora you can try:
>>
>>  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/libhdhomerun
>>
>> before running it.  That should get it to load the library even if you
>> don't install it in your system folders.
>>
>> (I'm guessing the script installed it in /usr/local/lib but your
>> Fedora system is looking in /usr/local/lib64.)
>>

> The build was successful, I was carefully checking for any signs of
> errors, of which there were none.  Anyway, the export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=
> line worked, and now I can run the GUI.  If I scan for a channel, it
> does indeed find my OTA channels and reports them as a very strong
> signal.  However, when I click the View button, nothing happens at
> all.
>
> On a whim, I went back into mythfrontend, and I can still access the
> HDHomerun tuners via LiveTV, although the signal is still extremely
> glitchy/blocky.

joshoekstra at gmx

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

Op 24-4-2012 18:39, Kane Tse schreef:
> I have the older HDHomerun (white model with dual tuners). After just
> over a year of reliable service in MythTV-0.24.x under Fedora, it has
> become nearly useless in the past week. The symptom is an increasing
> amount of glitches in the recording, progressing to the point of being
> unwatchable. It appears similar to when signal strength is low.
>
> I have the same antenna hooked up to a Hauppauge HVR-850 and the
> built-in ATSC tuner on my TV, and both can receive OTA signals
> flawlessly. In fact, the HVR-850 is functioning 100% with MythTV, so
> it's not a signal problem.
>
> Initial Google searches pointed to the HDHomerun power supply, and
> although my power supply was not one of the recalled ones, I swapped
> out the HDHomerun with another power supply with the same specs, and
> the problems remained. Then (returning to the original HDHomerun
> power adapter) I tried using the Silicon Dust's Windows program to
> access the HDHomerun, and the signal was perfect.
>
> Also did a test of my backend's network card, and don't see any packet loss.
>
> I believe from these steps, I have ruled out the following:
>
> 1) It is not a signal reception issue; as other tuners (HVR-850) are
> working fine.
> 2) It is not an HDHomerun hardware problem; as I can tune successfully
> from Windows.
> 3) It is not a playback issue - because older recordings can be played
> back successfully.
>
> I have not updated my Linux recently. I am considering a complete
> wipe of Linux because I'm running Fedora 15, but that's a desperation
> move best left until after season finales have aired in May.
> Hopefully there are other alternate solutions I can attempt.
>
> Can anyone advise me on where to look?
>
> Thanks!

I have the exact same problem since switching to 0.25, for me it's only
on the first frequency(304 MHz).
I rescanned, setup the whole channel-lineup again, but only on the first
frequency.
When monitoring the signal strength, quality and symbol quality the
first is 92 and the others are 100 percent.
Sometimes it goes away after a while when image changes, from 1 program
to another or when commercials are over.
When running hdhomerun_config_gui via forwarded X and viewing the
channels affected, no glitches appear, even though image is stuttering
due to forwarded X.
I also run tests to see if network was a problem using the commands from
sillicon dust, these didn't show any error.

I'm guessing a bug-report should be opened, just trying to see what I
need to put in it to make it a good one.

Jos Hoekstra

newbury at mandamus

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

On 2012-04-24, at 23:51, Kane Tse <kane.tse [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Kane Tse <kane.tse [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:
>>> Is it only a problem with mythtv recordings? In other words, have you
>>> tried running the Silicon Dust Linux version of their utility on your
>>> backend?
>>
>> I have not tried with the Silicon Dust Linux. I don't even think I
>> have that installed. However, will give it a shot and report back.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the hdhomerun_config_gui utility to
> run. Despite running 'ldconfig' as per SiliconDust's instructions at
> http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdhomerun/downloads/linux/, I still
> the same message about:
>
> hdhomerun_config_gui: error while loading shared libraries:
> libhdhomerun.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Matt Boyd <mattslists [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I'm wondering if there's a network issue with the HDHR. I wasn unable
>> to get a signal lock with mythtv & the hdhr that were solved by doing
>> an ifup / ifdown on the interface the HDHR was connected to after
>> mythtv had started. The hdhomerun config util worked fine and would
>> tune/scan but myth would only get a partial lock until I restarted the
>> network card.
>
> Tried that, it didn't work.
>
> Looking increasingly like a reformat is on the horizon (sigh). I
> don't even seem to be able to upgrade to 0.25 using atrpms (Fedora 15)
> either due

Two things: try a different power wart for the hdhr. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. The power supply was dieing. It would report properly but not record.

It really sounds more like a dieing NIC. I recently had that too! I added an external NIC and that solved the problem. I ended up using a USB-to-NIC adaptor costing $16. Wish I had had one at a couple of points in the past to avoid problems.
Geoff

eric at lisaneric

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:19 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury [at] mandamus> wrote:
> Two things: try a different power wart for the hdhr.

Original post:

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

Okay, did some tests:

1) Using the linux hdhomerun_config_gui.

Everything looks good (just like in Windows). So it appears not to be
a hardware issue, and also appears to be MythTV-specific.

2) New power wart.

As I mentioned in my first post, this has already been tried.

3) Dying NIC

I did an ifconfig -a and saw 0 dropped packets and 0 errored packets
on all interfaces. Plus, my during successful hdhomerun_config_gui
attempt listed above, I seemed to be getting a pretty acceptable
picture with around 15-20 Mbps data transfer rate.

4) I tried deleting ALL tuners in MythTV and then readding them

Oddly, seemed to help briefly, but then returned 15-20 minutes later.
I am not 100% sure, but it may have coincided with a Hauppauge HD-PVR
that was not reconfigured correctly. I tried to replicate the
conditions (removing either my HD-PVR or HVR-850 from MythTV) but the
HDHomerun is still acting up.

My next theory is to drop all listing sources and tuners and readd
everything again. Maybe it's a tuning frequency table thing?

5) optimize_mythtvdb.pl

Also have run this a few times. My backend has been shutting down due
to overheating lately, even while flagging only a single show . I
suspect the thermal paste needs reapplication. However, I also
suspect the MythTV is trying to commflag the glitchy HDhomerun
recordings and it is consuming alot of CPU trying to process it.

joe at thefrys

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

> Okay, did some tests:
>
> 1) Using the linux hdhomerun_config_gui.
>
> Everything looks good (just like in Windows). So it appears not to be
> a hardware issue, and also appears to be MythTV-specific.
>
> 2) New power wart.
>
> As I mentioned in my first post, this has already been tried.
>
> 3) Dying NIC
>
> I did an ifconfig -a and saw 0 dropped packets and 0 errored packets
> on all interfaces. Plus, my during successful hdhomerun_config_gui
> attempt listed above, I seemed to be getting a pretty acceptable
> picture with around 15-20 Mbps data transfer rate.
>
> 4) I tried deleting ALL tuners in MythTV and then readding them
>
> Oddly, seemed to help briefly, but then returned 15-20 minutes later.
> I am not 100% sure, but it may have coincided with a Hauppauge HD-PVR
> that was not reconfigured correctly. I tried to replicate the
> conditions (removing either my HD-PVR or HVR-850 from MythTV) but the
> HDHomerun is still acting up.
>
> My next theory is to drop all listing sources and tuners and readd
> everything again. Maybe it's a tuning frequency table thing?
>
> 5) optimize_mythtvdb.pl
>
> Also have run this a few times. My backend has been shutting down due
> to overheating lately, even while flagging only a single show . I
> suspect the thermal paste needs reapplication. However, I also
> suspect the MythTV is trying to commflag the glitchy HDhomerun
> recordings and it is consuming alot of CPU trying to process it.

Since you have proven its not the tuner itself, it could be an IO issue or
a playback profile issue.

Unlike streaming it from hdhomerun_config Mythtv records everything to
disk, even live tv. Perhaps your disk is severely fragmented, you have
some other process consuming IO, etc.

If everything looks good from a disk perspective, you might play around
with your playback profiles... disable any deinterlacing, enable/disable
vdpau, etc.

jakommo at gmail

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

On 25.04.12 19:29, Kane Tse wrote:
> Okay, did some tests:
>
> 1) Using the linux hdhomerun_config_gui.
>
> Everything looks good (just like in Windows). So it appears not to be
> a hardware issue, and also appears to be MythTV-specific.
>
> 2) New power wart.
>
> As I mentioned in my first post, this has already been tried.
>
> 3) Dying NIC
>
> I did an ifconfig -a and saw 0 dropped packets and 0 errored packets
> on all interfaces. Plus, my during successful hdhomerun_config_gui
> attempt listed above, I seemed to be getting a pretty acceptable
> picture with around 15-20 Mbps data transfer rate.
>
> 4) I tried deleting ALL tuners in MythTV and then readding them
>
> Oddly, seemed to help briefly, but then returned 15-20 minutes later.
> I am not 100% sure, but it may have coincided with a Hauppauge HD-PVR
> that was not reconfigured correctly. I tried to replicate the
> conditions (removing either my HD-PVR or HVR-850 from MythTV) but the
> HDHomerun is still acting up.
>
> My next theory is to drop all listing sources and tuners and readd
> everything again. Maybe it's a tuning frequency table thing?
>
> 5) optimize_mythtvdb.pl
>
> Also have run this a few times. My backend has been shutting down due
> to overheating lately, even while flagging only a single show . I
> suspect the thermal paste needs reapplication. However, I also
> suspect the MythTV is trying to commflag the glitchy HDhomerun
> recordings and it is consuming alot of CPU trying to process it.

I'm having a very similar issue and have posted on the list too under
the subject "hdhomerun and 0.25 gives me artifacts on HDchannels".
I also think it's not an hardware issue as I'm having an old
installation (mythbuntu 10.10 + mythtv 0.23-fixes) on the same machine
and everything works fine if I boot up this.
As soon as I boot up mythbuntu 12.04 (mythtv 0.25) I've glitches on my
HD channels, SD works fine though.
As in your case it also works fine if I try it with hdhomerun_config_gui
and vlc.
I also tried it on another machine (Centos 6.2 + mythtv 0.25 from
atrpms) and got the same results there.

snharris99 at live

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

> On 25.04.12 19:29, Kane Tse wrote:
> > Okay, did some tests:
> >
> > 1) Using the linux hdhomerun_config_gui.
> >
> > Everything looks good (just like in Windows). So it appears not to be
> > a hardware issue, and also appears to be MythTV-specific.
> >
> > 2) New power wart.
> >
> > As I mentioned in my first post, this has already been tried.
> >
> > 3) Dying NIC
> >
> > I did an ifconfig -a and saw 0 dropped packets and 0 errored packets
> > on all interfaces. Plus, my during successful hdhomerun_config_gui
> > attempt listed above, I seemed to be getting a pretty acceptable
> > picture with around 15-20 Mbps data transfer rate.
> >
> > 4) I tried deleting ALL tuners in MythTV and then readding them
> >
> > Oddly, seemed to help briefly, but then returned 15-20 minutes later.
> > I am not 100% sure, but it may have coincided with a Hauppauge HD-PVR
> > that was not reconfigured correctly. I tried to replicate the
> > conditions (removing either my HD-PVR or HVR-850 from MythTV) but the
> > HDHomerun is still acting up.
> >
> > My next theory is to drop all listing sources and tuners and readd
> > everything again. Maybe it's a tuning frequency table thing?
> >
> > 5) optimize_mythtvdb.pl
> >
> > Also have run this a few times. My backend has been shutting down due
> > to overheating lately, even while flagging only a single show . I
> > suspect the thermal paste needs reapplication. However, I also
> > suspect the MythTV is trying to commflag the glitchy HDhomerun
> > recordings and it is consuming alot of CPU trying to process it.
>
> I'm having a very similar issue and have posted on the list too under
> the subject "hdhomerun and 0.25 gives me artifacts on HDchannels".
> I also think it's not an hardware issue as I'm having an old
> installation (mythbuntu 10.10 + mythtv 0.23-fixes) on the same machine
> and everything works fine if I boot up this.
> As soon as I boot up mythbuntu 12.04 (mythtv 0.25) I've glitches on my
> HD channels, SD works fine though.
> As in your case it also works fine if I try it with hdhomerun_config_gui
> and vlc.
> I also tried it on another machine (Centos 6.2 + mythtv 0.25 from
> atrpms) and got the same results there.

How current is your 0.25 version, and what sort of CPU usage are you seeing when tuning via Myth?  There was an issue a while back that caused HDHomeRuns to use excessive CPU time that made HdHomeRuns all but crippled for recording more than one thing at a time.  The issue was resolved, but I'm not sure it's 100% yet.  I still see some artifacting on my recordings when recording > 3 things at once (where I used to be able to record 5-6 things at once with 0.24 with no issues at all).  See http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10414 perhaps it's not as resolved as we thought?

kane.tse at gmail

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Joseph Fry <joe [at] thefrys> wrote:

> Since you have proven its not the tuner itself, it could be an IO issue or a
> playback profile issue.
>
> Unlike streaming it from hdhomerun_config Mythtv records everything to disk,
> even live tv.  Perhaps your disk is severely fragmented, you have some other
> process consuming IO, etc.
>
> If everything looks good from a disk perspective, you might play around with
> your playback profiles... disable any deinterlacing, enable/disable vdpau,
> etc.

The thing is, I have one other ATSC tuner (HVR-850) that has been
recording from the same channels during the same time period. There
is no issue with playback or anything from recordings made off that
HVR-850 tuner. So I don't think there is a I/O or playback profile
error.

gnassas at mac

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

On 2012-04-25, at 1:29 PM, Kane Tse wrote:

> 4) I tried deleting ALL tuners in MythTV and then readding them
>
> Oddly, seemed to help briefly, but then returned 15-20 minutes later.

Just curious, when you added the HDHR was it located by IP number or its serial ID? Once, in a hurry, I made the mistake of using IP number which worked until the HDHR renewed its DHCP lease and got a different number. It's probably not your problem but just in case.

- George

kane.tse at gmail

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:43 AM, George Nassas <gnassas [at] mac> wrote:
> On 2012-04-25, at 1:29 PM, Kane Tse wrote:
>
> 4) I tried deleting ALL tuners in MythTV and then readding them
>
> Oddly, seemed to help briefly, but then returned 15-20 minutes later.
>

> Just curious, when you added the HDHR was it located by IP number or its
> serial ID? Once, in a hurry, I made the mistake of using IP number which
> worked until the HDHR renewed its DHCP lease and got a different number.
> It's probably not your problem but just in case.

I am using the IP address of the HDHR. However, I have a DHCP server
running on my router that assigns static leases to the HDHomerun based
on its MAC address.

For the others following this thread -- thanks for all your help. I
have completed the drop all tuners and drop all listing sources from
MythTV and reading them in. All tuners seem to be working for now;
but mythfilldatabase is still running. Will see what happens tonight
when the prime time hits.

For some reason, MythTV has gone on a crusade to run commercial
detection on every single recording in the database. Any idea why
this is happening? Is it related to the drop/re-add of the listing
sources?

kane.tse at gmail

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

> For the others following this thread -- thanks for all your help.  I
> have completed the drop all tuners and drop all listing sources from
> MythTV and reading them in.  All tuners seem to be working for now;
> but mythfilldatabase is still running.  Will see what happens tonight
> when the prime time hits.

After an evening of watching, seems like the signal in MythTV is still
blocky (every 3-5 seconds), but at least it is watchable. I noticed a
significant degradation in the HDHomreun recording when I think the
HD-PVR started a recording different show halfway... however, will
need to perform more testing to confirm.

This is so odd because my setup has been smooth for many months now.

kane.tse at gmail

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Kane Tse <kane.tse [at] gmail> wrote:

> After an evening of watching, seems like the signal in MythTV is still
> blocky (every 3-5 seconds), but at least it is watchable.  I noticed a
> significant degradation in the HDHomreun recording when I think the
> HD-PVR started a recording different show halfway... however, will
> need to perform more testing to confirm.
>
> This is so odd because my setup has been smooth for many months now.

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. After a fresh installation
of Fedora 16 with MythTV-0.25, the problem persisted. I put in an old
100Mbps PCI ethernet card and put the HDHomerun onto its own dedicated
network using dhcpd. The problems have completely vanished. Although
I don't see any signs of failure on the motherboard's on-board Gigabit
ethernet adapter, clearly, the problem was a network-related issue.

gary.buhrmaster at gmail

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Kane Tse <kane.tse [at] gmail> wrote:
>  Although
> I don't see any signs of failure on the motherboard's on-board Gigabit
> ethernet adapter, clearly, the problem was a network-related issue.

There are a number of ethernet adapters with "interesting"
issues on LInux. Certain Realtek and Broadcom adapters
(not all) have anecdotal reports of being the most problematic.
Intel adapters seem to "just work". Your driver will vary.

Gary

charriglists at bellsouth

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

There is a good chance the ip address of the hdhr changed.
Did you add another dhcp device to the network, then lost power or
cycled power in an order that would let the new device take the address
of the hdhr?

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Calvin Harrigan
<charriglists [at] bellsouth> wrote:
> There is a good chance the ip address of the hdhr changed.
> Did you add another dhcp device to the network, then lost power or cycled
> power in an order that would let the new device take the address of the
> hdhr?

The dhcp server for my primary network (running on a separate
tomato-based router) assigned IP addresses via static MAC assignments.
The dynamic IP address range does not overlap with the IP assigned to
the HDhomerun.

In any case, MythTV was configured to access the HDHomerun by device id.

kane.tse at gmail

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster [at] gmail> wrote:
>>  Although
>> I don't see any signs of failure on the motherboard's on-board Gigabit
>> ethernet adapter, clearly, the problem was a network-related issue.
>
> There are a number of ethernet adapters with "interesting"
> issues on LInux.  Certain Realtek and Broadcom adapters
> (not all) have anecdotal reports of being the most problematic.
> Intel adapters seem to "just work".  Your driver will vary.

The motherboard's on board Gigabit ethernet adapter was a Realtek, the
add-in PCI ethernet card now dedicated to the HDhomerun was a Linksys
(using the 'tulip' driver). So to a certain extent, the scenario you
present is certainly a possibility.

Interestingly, over ~48 hours of uptime, the HDHomerun has generated
way more network traffic than the rest of my LAN.

HDhomerun dedicated network:
RX bytes:204858921431 (190.7 GiB) TX bytes:168445095 (160.6 MiB)

Rest of LAN:
RX bytes:8070386187 (7.5 GiB) TX bytes:21068097478 (19.6 GiB)

And this particular Linux machine runs 3 virtual machines, is a
Samba-PDC, and several other functions.

eric at lisaneric

Re: My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows [In reply to]

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Kane Tse <kane.tse [at] gmail> wrote:
> The motherboard's on board Gigabit ethernet adapter was a Realtek, the
> add-in PCI ethernet card now dedicated to the HDhomerun was a Linksys
> (using the 'tulip' driver).  So to a certain extent, the scenario you
> present is certainly a possibility.

Was there anything else "exotic" about your configuration? For
example, did you have jumbo frames enabled or something like that?

Eric