Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

0.25 on mac-mini

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

monkeypet at gmail

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 3:23 PM, <shredder83 [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 13 May, 2012, 18:16, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>
> On 14 May 2012 09:28, <shredder83 [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Is it possible for someone to compile it with this flag? I am guessing
> this
> > is harder as Xcode is the preferred Mac way to compile source code.
>
> As llvm is the only available compiler today on either 10.6 or 10.7 ;
> you have to compile with debug option mode on. Without it the compiler
> segfault
>

> OK. So am I to assume then that anyone running .25 frontend on a mac
> viewing HD-PVR recordings is still having stuttering issue? Do I maybe have
> the playback profile set wrong (ie. deinterlacer or something)? Really, I
> can't use the fronted on any of my macs as all I watch is HD content.

My mac mini frontend seems to be working fine. I use the HDHR to record on
a remote backend. Everything works fine.

> Sean Whitney, are you still having the same issue or did you get it
> resolved? Maybe I missed the post on how to fix it?
>
> Thanks,
> Shredder

jyavenard at gmail

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

On 16 May 2012 08:23, <shredder83 [at] gmail> wrote:

> OK. So am I to assume then that anyone running .25 frontend on a mac
> viewing HD-PVR recordings is still having stuttering issue? Do I maybe have
> the playback profile set wrong (ie. deinterlacer or something)? Really, I
> can't use the fronted on any of my macs as all I watch is HD content.

i personally have no issue on my 2011 macbook air..

> Sean Whitney, are you still having the same issue or did you get it
> resolved? Maybe I missed the post on how to fix it?

please provide a sample, nothing we can do without one..
So open a trac ticket at code.mythtv.org and provide a link to a sample.. A
minute of content will do

thanks

sean.whitney at gmail

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

I'm still having the issue, I've provided a sample for testing. I'm
unsure what I else I can do to help fix this issue.

Sean

On 05/15/2012 03:23 PM, shredder83 [at] gmail wrote:
> On 13 May, 2012, 18:16, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>

>> On 14 May 2012 09:28, <shredder83 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> > Is it possible for someone to compile it with this flag? I am
>> guessing this
>> > is harder as Xcode is the preferred Mac way to compile source code.
>>
>> As llvm is the only available compiler today on either 10.6 or 10.7 ;
>> you have to compile with debug option mode on. Without it the compiler
>> segfault
>
> OK. So am I to assume then that anyone running .25 frontend on a mac
> viewing HD-PVR recordings is still having stuttering issue? Do I maybe
> have the playback profile set wrong (ie. deinterlacer or something)?
> Really, I can't use the fronted on any of my macs as all I watch is HD
> content.
>
> Sean Whitney, are you still having the same issue or did you get it
> resolved? Maybe I missed the post on how to fix it?
>
> Thanks,
> Shredder

Science is not an exercise in consensus.

sean.whitney at gmail

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

This is related to the HD-PVR not the HDHR....

Does anyone know if there is a ticket number for this issue?

Sean

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

So I've noticed that some 720p recording work and others don't. Any Law
& Order (regardless of channel) or Public Broadcasting show in 720 don't
work, while ESPN MSL soccer games in 720 always seem to work.

Is there a ticket # for this issue yet?

Sean

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

Rereading the email thread I missed Jean's request to open a ticket. I
have opened a ticket now #10749 available at
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10749

Sean

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

On 24 May 2012 03:20, Sean Whitney <sean.whitney [at] gmail> wrote:
> Rereading the email thread I missed Jean's request to open a ticket.  I
> have opened a ticket now #10749 available at
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10749

Try this:
http://www.avenard.org/files/mythtv/mac/MythFrontend-v0.25-105-g6970413.dmg

(will take about 10 more minutes from the time of this post for the
upload to be complete)

Then run mythfrontend with:
Start a Terminal
Go in the folder where MythFrontend.app is located

And start it that way:
./MythFrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/MythFrontend -v audio,playback -O
AllowVDAInterlace=1

Then go into Setup -> Video -> Playback
Select "VDA Normal" in the profile list.

Try playing your HDPVR video again

My guess is that earlier on, you were using the VDA hardware decoder.
In 0.25, interlaced playback is disabled via the VDA decoder (just
like it is disabled in VLC and XBMC) as it can cause kernel panic
(like BBC HD will seriously crash your mac)...

There's no way your mac would have played a HDPVR stream without
hardware acceleration. Quartz available on a 0.24 build wouldn't have
helped, because Quartz only works on MPEG2 video. Your HD-PVR outputs
H264 only.
So all that search in building a 32 bits build I read earlier is useless.

And for H264 hardware assisted playback: there's only VDA available on a mac.

Jean-Yves

jyavenard at gmail

Jun 3, 2012, 8:22 PM

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

Hi

With more details provided on this ticket:
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10749

Here is a 32 bits build built against Qt 4.6.4
http://www.avenard.org/files/mythtv/mac/MythFrontend-i386-v0.25-146-gb1b516e.dmg

This build has no playback issue on a mac mini 2010 with the HDPVR
sample provided.

JY

scram69 at gmail

Jun 10, 2012, 11:14 AM

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi
>
> With more details provided on this ticket:
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10749
>
> Here is a 32 bits build built against Qt 4.6.4
> http://www.avenard.org/files/mythtv/mac/MythFrontend-i386-v0.25-146-gb1b516e.dmg
>
> This build has no playback issue on a mac mini 2010 with the HDPVR
> sample provided.
>
> JY

Hi Jean-Yves,

Would you recommend this build for all older (Core 2 Duo) macs?

If so, should we create a new profile with no processing, as is
described in the ticket, or should we just use VDA Normal?

Thanks-

jyavenard at gmail

Jun 10, 2012, 6:41 PM

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

Hi

On Sunday, 10 June 2012, scram69 wrote:

> Hi Jean-Yves,
>
> Would you recommend this build for all older (Core 2 Duo) macs?

From what I tested, 32 bits code on a core 2 duo runs faster than 64 bits..
So yes, on those machines I would recommend using this 32 bits build. Or
you could use a universal build and force 32 bits mode.
I found that using the carbon version (with Quartz video) doesn't help at
all.
Interestingly, on a new i5, i7 versions, 64 bits runs quite a bit faster
than the equivalent 32 bits code, almost 14% more fps on the same media

> If so, should we create a new profile with no processing, as is
> described in the ticket, or should we just use VDA Normal?
>
> VDA doesn't do interlaced video properly, at best it plays crap, at worse
you get a kernel panic... So if your primary intent is to play interlaced
video, no point in select a VDA profile.

scram69 at gmail

Jun 10, 2012, 10:18 PM

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi
>

> On Sunday, 10 June 2012, scram69 wrote:
>>

>> Hi Jean-Yves,
>>
>> Would you recommend this build for all older (Core 2 Duo) macs?
>>

> From what I tested, 32 bits code on a core 2 duo runs faster than 64 bits..
> So yes, on those machines I would recommend using this 32 bits build. Or you
> could use a universal build and force 32 bits mode.
> I found that using the carbon version (with Quartz video) doesn't help at
> all.
> Interestingly, on a new i5, i7 versions, 64 bits runs quite a bit faster
> than the equivalent 32 bits code, almost 14% more fps on the same media
>

>> If so, should we create a new profile with no processing, as is
>> described in the ticket, or should we just use VDA Normal?
>>
> VDA doesn't do interlaced video properly, at best it plays crap, at worse
> you get a kernel panic... So if your primary intent is to play interlaced
> video, no point in select a VDA profile.

Thanks. This build (using Normal profile) does use less CPU than the
64 bit build from source forge.

However, for this build, playback seems always to default to a forced
4:3 aspect ratio. The only way I could figure around it was to force
16:9 aspect ratio in the playback settings. Had you noticed this?

jyavenard at gmail

Jun 10, 2012, 10:46 PM

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

Hi

On Sunday, 10 June 2012, scram69 wrote:

> However, for this build, playback seems always to default to a forced
> 4:3 aspect ratio. The only way I could figure around it was to force
> 16:9 aspect ratio in the playback settings. Had you noticed this?

It's using Qt 4.6 as I also wanted to include carbon framework... So there
are likely going to be some weird issues occurring as 4.6 and 4.7 on a mac
has quite a fair amount of problems.

But no, I didn't notice that one..

scram69 at gmail

Jun 11, 2012, 8:59 PM

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 10:46 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sunday, 10 June 2012, scram69 wrote:
>>

>> However, for this build, playback seems always to default to a forced
>> 4:3 aspect ratio.  The only way I could figure around it was to force
>> 16:9 aspect ratio in the playback settings.  Had you noticed this?
>>

> It's using Qt 4.6 as I also wanted to include carbon framework... So there
> are likely going to be some weird issues occurring as 4.6 and 4.7 on a mac
> has quite a fair amount of problems.
>
> But no, I didn't notice that one..

Well, the 4:3 seems to be the only issue with this build that I can
find. Otherwise, the playback performance is very good.

Thanks again-

jyavenard at gmail

Jun 12, 2012, 1:26 PM

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

I've just received notifications from Apple that the VDA bug I
reported that prevented interlaced media to be properly decoded has
been fixed in Mountain Lion Preview 4

Mountain Lion is supposed to come out next month.

I haven't tested if they indeed fixed the issue or not

nigel at ind

Jun 12, 2012, 4:48 PM

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

>> On Sunday, 10 June 2012, scram69 wrote:
>>>
>>> However, for this build, playback seems always to default to a forced
>>> 4:3 aspect ratio. ?The only way I could figure around it was to force
>>> 16:9 aspect ratio in the playback settings. ?Had you noticed this?
> Well, the 4:3 seems to be the only issue with this build that I can
> find.

Are we sure this is a new problem?

http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10398

I have been seeing this for ages
(but haven't located cause or fixed it yet)

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel [at] ind|"Oh Yeah, the credits go on,
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia | long after the viewers'

mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1

Jun 13, 2012, 5:34 AM

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

On 6/12/12 7:48 PM, Nigel Pearson wrote:
>> Well, the 4:3 seems to be the only issue with this build that I can
>> find.
>
> Are we sure this is a new problem?
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10398
>

> I have been seeing this for ages
> (but haven't located cause or fixed it yet)

What you describe in the ticket sounds exactly like what I'm seeing, and
very likely what the OP is getting.

--
Dan Wilga "Ook."

jyavenard at gmail

Jun 13, 2012, 8:50 AM

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

On 13 June 2012 06:26, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail> wrote:
> I've just received notifications from Apple that the VDA bug I
> reported that prevented interlaced media to be properly decoded has
> been fixed in Mountain Lion Preview 4
>

> Mountain Lion is supposed to come out next month.
>
> I haven't tested if they indeed fixed the issue or not

Well, that was hardly a fix...
Instead of crashing they now return an error when trying to decode the
file , but they certainly don't play the file, so the BBC HD sample
like this one http://dvb-antares.com/ftp/HD/BBC_H264_test6.ts

requires an incredibly high cpu usage

ylee at pobox

Jun 15, 2012, 2:40 PM

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail> says:
> Instead of crashing they now return an error when trying to decode
> the file , but they certainly don't play the file, so the BBC HD
> sample like this one http://dvb-antares.com/ftp/HD/BBC_H264_test6.ts
>
> requires an incredibly high cpu usage

I realie you are testing VDA, but how much CPU usage is normal? On my
late 2008 Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro running 0.24 (Standard decoder,
quartz-blit renderer), the clip plays smoothly at 90-120% CPU usage
according to Activity Monitor.

--
MythTV FAQ Q: "Cheap frontend/backend?" A: Revo, $200-300 @ Newegg
Q: "Record HD cable/satellite?" A: Hauppauge HD-PVR, $200 @ Newegg

jyavenard at gmail

Jun 15, 2012, 3:13 PM

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

On 15 June 2012 14:40, Yeechang Lee <ylee [at] pobox> wrote:
> I realie you are testing VDA, but how much CPU usage is normal? On my
> late 2008 Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro running 0.24 (Standard decoder,
> quartz-blit renderer), the clip plays smoothly at 90-120% CPU usage
> according to Activity Monitor.

That one yes...

The HDPVR one jumps to 190% at times

jyavenard at gmail

Jun 15, 2012, 3:14 PM

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

On 15 June 2012 15:13, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail> wrote:
> The HDPVR one jumps to 190% at times

Oh..

And you are using a 32 bits built.
On Core 2 Duo, 64 bits code runs slower than 32 bits one believe it or not...
The situation is reversed on newer intel..

gary.buhrmaster at gmail

Jun 15, 2012, 4:16 PM

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Core 2 Duo, 64 bits code runs slower than 32 bits one believe it or not...

This actually makes some amount of sense. The Core 2 Duo was
shown to be slower in 64-bit mode (than 32-bit mode) for some
class of workloads (and faster in others). Apparently, MythTV is
part of the former set. I also have this vague recollection that
on some particular Apple systems, if your system does not
have the appropriate 64-bit EFI bootrom, you ended up running
a 32-bit kernel, which means every 64-bit call may be going to
go through some sort of ugly "thunking" layer. But, never
having owned any of the fruit-themed vendor's products, this
last part is really all conjecture.

Gary

scram69 at gmail

Jun 28, 2012, 9:02 PM

Re: 0.25 on mac-mini [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Nigel Pearson <nigel [at] ind> wrote:

>> Well, the 4:3 seems to be the only issue with this build that I can
>> find.
>

> Are we sure this is a new problem?
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10398
>

> I have been seeing this for ages
> (but haven't located cause or fixed it yet)
>
> --
> Nigel Pearson, nigel [at] ind|"Oh Yeah, the credits go on,
> Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia | long after the viewers'
> Office: 8576 5449    Fax:  9298 9033 | interest is gone..."
> Mobile: 0408 664435  Home: 9792 6998 |  Wierd Al Y., The Simpsons

Hi Nigel,

It took a little while to sort this out, but for me the problem
appeared between v0.25-62-g3d29f7c and v0.25-146-gb1b516e.

Interestingly, however, it does occur on my Mini running 10.7; it only
occurs under 10.6.

HTH,

Steve