Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

MythShutdown filling up logs

lofty69 at gmail

MythShutdown filling up logs

Since moving to 0.25 I've noticed that the logs are filling up with
mythshutdown events and seems to be constantly using around 1% along
with mythwelcome.

0 574193 MediaSrv01 mythwelcome 2495 2495 CoreContext
mythmainwindow.cpp 2537 LockInputDevices 2012-04-23 14:48:39 6
Unlocking input devices
1 574192 MediaSrv01 mythshutdown 22888 22888 CoreContext
main.cpp 343 getStatus 2012-04-23 14:48:38 6 Mythshutdown:
--status returned: 0
2 574191 MediaSrv01 mythshutdown 22888 22896 SystemIOHandlerR
system-unix.cpp 90 run 2012-04-23 14:48:38 6 Starting IO manager
(read)
3 574190 MediaSrv01 mythshutdown 22888 22897 SystemIOHandlerW
system-unix.cpp 90 run 2012-04-23 14:48:38 6 Starting IO manager
(write)
4 574189 MediaSrv01 mythshutdown 22888 22895 SystemSignalManager
system-unix.cpp 485 run 2012-04-23 14:48:38 6 Starting process
signal handler
5 574188 MediaSrv01 mythshutdown 22888 22894 SystemManager
system-unix.cpp 263 run 2012-04-23 14:48:38 6 Starting process
manager
6 574187 MediaSrv01 mythshutdown 22888 22888 CoreContext
main.cpp 230 getStatus 2012-04-23 14:48:38 6 Mythshutdown:
--status

Have I just missed a logging option or is there an issue (cant seem to
see anything in trac)?

malcolm.parsons at gmail

Re: MythShutdown filling up logs [In reply to]

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/39646ba59

--
Malcolm Parsons

lofty69 at gmail

Re: MythShutdown filling up logs [In reply to]

On 24 April 2012 11:31, Malcolm Parsons <malcolm.parsons [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 23 April 2012 14:52, Roy Lofthouse <lofty69 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Since moving to 0.25 I've noticed that the logs are filling up with
>> mythshutdown events and seems to be constantly using around 1% along
>> with mythwelcome.
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/39646ba59
>
>> Add logging propagation for more programs
>>
>> Added for mytharchivehelper, mythlcdserver, mythshutdown calls
>>
>> If you see any funky behavior, please let me know.
>
> --
> Malcolm Parsons

Cheers Malcolm,

I'm getting 20 entries every 30 seconds which seems quite excessive to
me.. maybe this classes as funky behavior? :)

gjhurlbu at gmail

Re: MythShutdown filling up logs [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Roy Lofthouse <lofty69 [at] gmail> wrote:
> I'm getting 20 entries every 30 seconds which seems quite excessive to
> me.. maybe this classes as funky behavior? :)

Not really. This is how that program is designed to work. What is
your logging level and mask set to?

lofty69 at gmail

Re: MythShutdown filling up logs [In reply to]

On 24 April 2012 19:37, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Roy Lofthouse <lofty69 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I'm getting 20 entries every 30 seconds which seems quite excessive to
>> me.. maybe this classes as funky behavior? :)
>
> Not really.  This is how that program is designed to work.  What is
> your logging level and mask set to?

Just trying to find that out, it's been quite a while since I set the
options for mythbackend and I cant even find/remember the file that I
used, My Fedora install has also gone up a few versions since I last
touched it too. I seem to recall setting --noupnp through the same
file as well.

I tried using mythutil to set the loglevel and to disabled db logging
but it just keeps coming back with the help text.

lofty69 at gmail

Re: MythShutdown filling up logs [In reply to]

On 24 April 2012 19:58, Roy Lofthouse <lofty69 [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 24 April 2012 19:37, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Roy Lofthouse <lofty69 [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> I'm getting 20 entries every 30 seconds which seems quite excessive to
>>> me.. maybe this classes as funky behavior? :)
>>
>> Not really.  This is how that program is designed to work.  What is
>> your logging level and mask set to?
>
> Just trying to find that out, it's been quite a while since I set the
> options for mythbackend and I cant even find/remember the file that I
> used, My Fedora install has also gone up a few versions since I last
> touched it too. I seem to recall setting --noupnp through the same
> file as well.
>
> I tried using mythutil to set the loglevel and to disabled db logging
> but it just keeps coming back with the help text.

found the file "/etc/sysconfig/mythbackend" added --nodblog and
--loglevel warning to it and restarted the backend but still getting
all the mythshutdown logs :(

gjhurlbu at gmail

Re: MythShutdown filling up logs [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Roy Lofthouse <lofty69 [at] gmail> wrote:
> found the file "/etc/sysconfig/mythbackend" added --nodblog and
> --loglevel warning to it and restarted the backend but still getting
> all the mythshutdown logs :(

--loglevel warning hides too much for debugging purposes if you ever
need to report a bug. Just so you know.

You will always have those logfiles. Ignore them. :)

lofty69 at gmail

Re: MythShutdown filling up logs [In reply to]

On 24 April 2012 20:43, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Roy Lofthouse <lofty69 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> found the file "/etc/sysconfig/mythbackend" added --nodblog and
>> --loglevel warning to it and restarted the backend but still getting
>> all the mythshutdown logs :(
>
> --loglevel warning hides too much for debugging purposes if you ever
> need to report a bug.  Just so you know.
>
> You will always have those logfiles.  Ignore them.  :)

warning is fine for me and it's easily changed if need be.. however it
looks like the mythshutdown check may be hardcoded somewhere as I
searched my db and can only find one ref to mythshutdown
(preSDWUCheckCommand), but this was calling --check where the one
doing all the logging is called with -status (would be nice if this
took it's settings from mythbackend or you could pass your own on).

It's just annoying seeing all entries filling up every 30 seconds.

"You will always have those logfiles. Ignore them. :)"

I take it you know something I don't? :)

gjhurlbu at gmail

Re: MythShutdown filling up logs [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Roy Lofthouse <lofty69 [at] gmail> wrote:
> warning is fine for me and it's easily changed if need be.. however it
> looks like the mythshutdown check may be hardcoded somewhere as I
> searched my db and can only find one ref to mythshutdown
> (preSDWUCheckCommand), but this was calling --check where the one
> doing all the logging is called with -status (would be nice if this
> took it's settings from mythbackend or you could pass your own on).

This is coming from mythwelcome calling it, I believe. As far as I
know, one of the other devs is looking at combining all that
functionality so we don't need mythwelcome and mythshutdown at all
anymore. I'm not sure where that lays in the plans though.

> It's just annoying seeing all entries filling up every 30 seconds.

Then stop looking at them :) Seriously though, I don't use
mythshutdown at all, and I don't expect you will see much action in
making it "better" before it's removed.

Alternatively, you can hunt down where in mythwelcome is spawning it,
and remove the logging propagation from the arguments, and it should
happily not log at all (you will have to say --nodblog though).

lofty69 at gmail

Re: MythShutdown filling up logs [In reply to]

On 24 April 2012 21:05, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Roy Lofthouse <lofty69 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> warning is fine for me and it's easily changed if need be.. however it
>> looks like the mythshutdown check may be hardcoded somewhere as I
>> searched my db and can only find one ref to mythshutdown
>> (preSDWUCheckCommand), but this was calling --check where the one
>> doing all the logging is called with -status (would be nice if this
>> took it's settings from mythbackend or you could pass your own on).
>
> This is coming from mythwelcome calling it, I believe.  As far as I
> know, one of the other devs is looking at combining all that
> functionality so we don't need mythwelcome and mythshutdown at all
> anymore.  I'm not sure where that lays in the plans though.
>
>> It's just annoying seeing all entries filling up every 30 seconds.
>
> Then stop looking at them :)  Seriously though, I don't use
> mythshutdown at all, and I don't expect you will see much action in
> making it "better" before it's removed.
>
> Alternatively, you can hunt down where in mythwelcome is spawning it,
> and remove the logging propagation from the arguments, and it should
> happily not log at all (you will have to say --nodblog though).

just added a new mythshutdown bash script that calls mythshutdown (now
mythshutdownbin) with -c none :) Will do for now.

Thanks for your time Gavin. Much appreciated.

gjhurlbu at gmail

Re: MythShutdown filling up logs [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Roy Lofthouse <lofty69 [at] gmail> wrote:
> just added a new mythshutdown bash script that calls mythshutdown (now
> mythshutdownbin) with -c none  :)  Will do for now.

I assume you meant -v none :)

No problemo. If that one isn't swallowed up, we'll make a way for it
to shut up. Having not seen it running and causing that kinda mess,
it never occurred to me.

lofty69 at gmail

Re: MythShutdown filling up logs [In reply to]

On 24 April 2012 21:20, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Roy Lofthouse <lofty69 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> just added a new mythshutdown bash script that calls mythshutdown (now
>> mythshutdownbin) with -c none  :)  Will do for now.
>
> I assume you meant -v none :)
>
> No problemo.  If that one isn't swallowed up, we'll make a way for it
> to shut up.  Having not seen it running and causing that kinda mess,
> it never occurred to me.

I spoke too soon, the wrapper script idea isn't working as my server
now wont shutdown so I've had to revert back. I think we need a way of
controlling the logging level on both mythwelcome and mythshutdown in
order to avoid 20+ logs every thirty seconds when running mythwelcome.