Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jyavenard at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On 23 April 2012 11:05, George Galt <george.galt [at] gmail> wrote:
> I've looked into this in the past, but didn't have the time to climb
> the learning curve on ffmpeg/portaudio and the other pieces that would
> need to be put together to do it. However, this summer, I'd be happy
> to work with others who might have a better background with ffmpeg or
> other similar tools to implement a new software client that would
> handle direct streaming. If there is anyone interested in digging
> into a new writing a new software client for the squeezebox server,
> let me know.

I wrote a short tutorial on how to use the myth audio framework to play audio.

it certainly is quite an easy feast from a programming standpoint.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Audio_Framework

mythtv-users at lists

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

Gavin Whitehead wrote:
> On 17/04/2012 21:30, Thomas Boehm wrote:
>> I'm using XBMC for music and other stuff like iPlayer. I assigned an
>> unused button on my remote control to kill mythfrontend and start xbmc
>> and vice versa.
>
> Could you tell me how you set this up? It sounds like something I would
> like to try.

- Open a terminal and start irw
- press the button on the remote you want to use

you should get something like this

000000037ff07bf5 00 Clear mceusb

"Clear" is the name of the button and "mceusb" the name of your remote.

- create or edit ~/.lirc/irexec and add the following

begin
remote = mceusb
prog = irexec
button = Clear
config = /usr/local/bin/toggle_myth_xbmc.sh
repeat = 2
delay = 3
end

- write a little script /usr/local/bin/toggle_myth_xbmc.sh and make it
executable

With Mythbuntu this should work. Otherwise replace the first occurrence
of "mythfrontend.real" with "mythfrontend" and delete the line
killall mythfrontend.real
------
#!/bin/bash
if [ `pidof -s mythfrontend.real` ]
then
killall mythfrontend
killall mythfrontend.real
DISPLAY=:0 xbmc &
elif [ `pidof xbmc.bin` ]
then
echo "Starting MythTV" >> ~/myth.log
killall xbmc.bin
killall xbmc
DISPLAY=:0 mythfrontend --service &
fi
-----

- add irexec to the programs to start at login and logout and back in

Now it should work

Thomas

jeppe at ingolfs

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

George Galt <george.galt [at] gmail> writes:

[...]

I also gave up on Mythmusic (mostly because it doesn'w work well without
the tv on) and went with a squeezebox setup.

I never got squeezeslave working well with myth so ended up buying a
bunch of used Squeezebox receivers (less $100 each) and using iDevices
to control them. Works very nice.

> I wrote the original MythSqueezebox plugin. It is based on the
> squeezeslave client found here:
> https://code.google.com/p/squeezeslave/ That client does not
> implement the streaming radio that you get with later versions of the
> squeezebox players and is basically akin to the original SliMP3
> player.

I think it does now. At least the OSX version. I would think the linux
version does as well.

/Jeppe

[...]

george.galt at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 23 April 2012 11:05, George Galt <george.galt [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I've looked into this in the past, but didn't have the time to climb
>> the learning curve on ffmpeg/portaudio and the other pieces that would
>> need to be put together to do it. However, this summer, I'd be happy
>> to work with others who might have a better background with ffmpeg or
>> other similar tools to implement a new software client that would
>> handle direct streaming. If there is anyone interested in digging
>> into a new writing a new software client for the squeezebox server,
>> let me know.
>
> I wrote a short tutorial on how to use the myth audio framework to play audio.
>
> it certainly is quite an easy feast from a programming standpoint.
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Audio_Framework

Jean-Yves:

Thanks! I'll take a look -- and may bug you with questions if I get stuck ;-)

George

george.galt at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Jeppe Nejsum Madsen <jeppe [at] ingolfs> wrote:
> George Galt <george.galt [at] gmail> writes:
>

> [...]
>
> I also gave up on Mythmusic (mostly because it doesn'w work well without
> the tv on) and went with a squeezebox setup.
>
> I never got squeezeslave working well with myth so ended up buying a
> bunch of used Squeezebox receivers (less $100 each) and using iDevices
> to control them. Works very nice.
>

>> I wrote the original MythSqueezebox plugin. It is based on the
>> squeezeslave client found here:
>> https://code.google.com/p/squeezeslave/ That client does not
>> implement the streaming radio that you get with later versions of the
>> squeezebox players and is basically akin to the original SliMP3
>> player.
>
> I think it does now. At least the OSX version. I would think the linux
> version does as well.
>
> /Jeppe
>
> [...]

Jeppe:

Thanks, I'll have to take a look. If it does, then I can avoid the
issue entirely. I seem to recall that the current structure didn't
lend itself to using the direct streaming model developed for players
after the SliMP3, but things may have changed. Also -- and this may
have changed as well -- squeezeslave doesn't work well with using
certain bit-rates. I'll take a look.

Thanks,

George

yan at seiner

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Mon, April 23, 2012 6:17 am, George Galt wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Jeppe Nejsum Madsen <jeppe [at] ingolfs>
>>
>>> I wrote the original MythSqueezebox plugin.  It is based on the
>>> squeezeslave client found here:
>>> https://code.google.com/p/squeezeslave/  That client does not
>>> implement the streaming radio that you get with later versions of the
>>> squeezebox players and is basically akin to the original SliMP3
>>> player.
>>
>> I think it does now. At least the OSX version. I would think the linux
>> version does as well.
>>
> Thanks, I'll have to take a look. If it does, then I can avoid the
> issue entirely. I seem to recall that the current structure didn't
> lend itself to using the direct streaming model developed for players
> after the SliMP3, but things may have changed. Also -- and this may
> have changed as well -- squeezeslave doesn't work well with using
> certain bit-rates. I'll take a look.

I just got done setting up squeezeslave. The streaming client is a piece
of cake; mplayer can do that. If you want to control the volume from the
web interface then you need squeezeslave.

Here's my mini-writeup of what I did:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94875-Streaming-volume-control

--
Q: How can you tell Spring is here in Oregon?
A: The rain is warmer.

My daughter is racing a triathlon to raise money for her swim team.
Please donate and keep kids off the sofa!

http://www.facebook.com/RiverRoadKids4Kids

george.galt at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Yan Seiner <yan [at] seiner> wrote:

> On Mon, April 23, 2012 6:17 am, George Galt wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Jeppe Nejsum Madsen <jeppe [at] ingolfs>

>>> I think it does now. At least the OSX version. I would think the linux
>>> version does as well.
>>>
>> Thanks, I'll have to take a look. If it does, then I can avoid the
>> issue entirely. I seem to recall that the current structure didn't
>> lend itself to using the direct streaming model developed for players
>> after the SliMP3, but things may have changed. Also -- and this may
>> have changed as well -- squeezeslave doesn't work well with using
>> certain bit-rates. I'll take a look.
>
> I just got done setting up squeezeslave. The streaming client is a piece
> of cake; mplayer can do that. If you want to control the volume from the
> web interface then you need squeezeslave.
>
> Here's my mini-writeup of what I did:
>
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94875-Streaming-volume-control
>
> --
> Q: How can you tell Spring is here in Oregon?
> A: The rain is warmer.
>
> My daughter is racing a triathlon to raise money for her swim team.
> Please donate and keep kids off the sofa!
>
> http://www.facebook.com/RiverRoadKids4Kids

Yan:

You're confusing the ability of the squeezebox server to implement a
stream for a generic client with using the direct streaming protocol
of the server for accessing things like internet radio and Pandora
through a client.

What you have set up is the generic stream from the server, which
certainly works quite nicely. But if you want something that
functions like a client of the squeezebox server (and can be synced
with other players and use the remote buttons to navigate your music
library through the squeezebox server), the generic stream won't work
unless I'm missing something.

George

yan at seiner

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Mon, April 23, 2012 8:23 am, George Galt wrote:

> You're confusing the ability of the squeezebox server to implement a
> stream for a generic client with using the direct streaming protocol
> of the server for accessing things like internet radio and Pandora
> through a client.
>
> What you have set up is the generic stream from the server, which
> certainly works quite nicely. But if you want something that
> functions like a client of the squeezebox server (and can be synced
> with other players and use the remote buttons to navigate your music
> library through the squeezebox server), the generic stream won't work
> unless I'm missing something.

Nope, you're right, what's missing is the link from the client back to the
server. Squeezeslave does have UI; I did not compile it into my setup as
it was unnecessary but it is included by default.

start to hook a standard myth interface onto.

--
Q: How can you tell Spring is here in Oregon?
A: The rain is warmer.

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Yan Seiner <yan [at] seiner> wrote:

> On Mon, April 23, 2012 8:23 am, George Galt wrote:
>
>> You're confusing the ability of the squeezebox server to implement a
>> stream for a generic client with using the direct streaming protocol
>> of the server for accessing things like internet radio and Pandora
>> through a client.
>>
>> What you have set up is the generic stream from the server, which
>> certainly works quite nicely. But if you want something that
>> functions like a client of the squeezebox server (and can be synced
>> with other players and use the remote buttons to navigate your music
>> library through the squeezebox server), the generic stream won't work
>> unless I'm missing something.
>
> Nope, you're right, what's missing is the link from the client back to the
> server. Squeezeslave does have UI; I did not compile it into my setup as
> it was unnecessary but it is included by default.
>
> From what I understand, the squeezeslave UI is curses based. It may be a
> start to hook a standard myth interface onto.
>

> --
> Q: How can you tell Spring is here in Oregon?
> A: The rain is warmer.
>
> My daughter is racing a triathlon to raise money for her swim team.
> Please donate and keep kids off the sofa!
>
> http://www.facebook.com/RiverRoadKids4Kids

Yan:

The plugin I wrote uses the Squeezeserver CLI to grab the display
messages to the squeezeslave client and display them through a MythUI
based screen with animations. I'll have something later this week if
you want to take a look.

George

gavin at alabastercranium

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

Thomas,

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Gavin

snharris99 at live

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

>>> Could you tell me how you set this up? It sounds like something I would
>>> like to try.
>> - Open a terminal and start irw
>> - press the button on the remote you want to use
>>
>> you should get something like this
>>
>> 000000037ff07bf5 00 Clear mceusb
>>
>> "Clear" is the name of the button and "mceusb" the name of your remote.
>>
>> - create or edit ~/.lirc/irexec and add the following
>>
>> begin
>> remote = mceusb
>> prog = irexec
>> button = Clear
>> config = /usr/local/bin/toggle_myth_xbmc.sh
>> repeat = 2
>> delay = 3
>> end
>>
>> - write a little script /usr/local/bin/toggle_myth_xbmc.sh and make it
>> executable
>>
>> With Mythbuntu this should work. Otherwise replace the first occurrence
>> of "mythfrontend.real" with "mythfrontend" and delete the line
>> killall mythfrontend.real
>> ------
>> #!/bin/bash
>> if [ `pidof -s mythfrontend.real` ]
>> then
>> killall mythfrontend
>> killall mythfrontend.real
>> DISPLAY=:0 xbmc&
>> elif [ `pidof xbmc.bin` ]
>> then
>> echo "Starting MythTV">> ~/myth.log
>> killall xbmc.bin
>> killall xbmc
>> DISPLAY=:0 mythfrontend --service&
>> fi
>> -----
>>
>> - add irexec to the programs to start at login and logout and back in
>>
>> Now it should work
>>
>> Thomas
>Thomas,

>Thanks. I'll give it a go.

>Gavin

There's a much cleaner way to do this that doesn't require ungracefully
killing processes everytime you want to switch programs. Copy
/usr/share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/library.xml (or whatever menu you want
to put it in) to ~/.mythtv (so you don't have to redo this every time you
update myth). Edit ~/.mythtv/library.xml and add a button to open XBMC
where you want it (I put mine after "Listento Music")....

<button>
<type>LAUNCH_XBMC</type>
<text>Launch XBMC</text>
<description>Open XBMC media center</description>
<action>EXEC xbmc-standalone</action>
</button>

Then when you want to use XBMC, go to Media Library -> Launch XBMC and off
you go. When you're done, close XBMC properly (with the exit option from
the remote) and you're back to MythTV which was waiting patiently
underneath.

david.whyte at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 11:05 AM, George Galt <george.galt [at] gmail> wrote:

> I wrote the original MythSqueezebox plugin. It is based on the
> squeezeslave client found here:
> https://code.google.com/p/squeezeslave/ That client does not
> implement the streaming radio that you get with later versions of the
> squeezebox players and is basically akin to the original SliMP3
> player.
>
> I've let the MythSqueezebox plugin slide for a while, but in response
> to a few requests, I'm dusting it off and should have something usable
> later this week. The problem is that, as currently configured, it is
> just a pretty face on the squeezeslave client. To get streaming radio
> and other features of more recent "squeeze" hardware, a new software
> client would have to be created.

Having kept my eye on this thread this last week, I looked into the
Logitech Media Server and Squeezeslave and I am quite impressed.
Seems to work brilliantly for individual streams. I have seen issues
when trying to synchronise two PCs running squeezeslave, where one
falls up to 15 seconds behind when one track ends and a new one
starts.

Anyway, I just wanted to say 'me too' with regards to interest in a
renewed mythTV plugin.

Ideally, I would love it to be packaged and included with mythbuntu,
but that is probably a different thread that needs starting with those
guys?!

Cheers for your work,
Whytey

dan.gravell at talk21

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

Something (anything!) would be great for a Myth/Squeezebox integration, but I'm surprised discussion is still revolving around Squeezeslave... what about a proper SqueezePlay (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezePlay)integration? That's what I use on my desktops/laptops at home when I want a software solution. It shows the album art and is skinnable so we may be able to create a Myth/large format interface for it.

I guess the main challenge is integrating the Lua runtime...

Dan

george.galt at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Dan Gravell <dan.gravell [at] talk21> wrote:
> Something (anything!) would be great for a Myth/Squeezebox integration, but I'm surprised discussion is still revolving around Squeezeslave... what about a proper SqueezePlay (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezePlay)integration? That's what I use on my desktops/laptops at home when I want a software solution. It shows the album art and is skinnable so we may be able to create a Myth/large format interface for it.
>
> I guess the main challenge is integrating the Lua runtime...
>
> Dan

Dan:

Actually, the main challenge to using SqueezePlay is the license. It
is not GPL. Unless they have changed it, it used to prohibit
integrating it into other services or reusing the code without
Logitech's permission.

George

dan.gravell at talk21

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

From: George Galt <george.galt [at] gmail>

> Actually, the main challenge to using SqueezePlay is the license. It
> is not GPL. Unless they have changed it, it used to prohibit
> integrating it into other services or reusing the code without
> Logitech's permission.

George, OK, I wasn't aware that was the case. However, it's now (well, from 2010 onwards) under BSD licencehttp://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?74049-Squeezeplay-now-under-BSD-License. Is this not good enough?

http://svn.slimdevices.com/jive/7.6/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/LICENSE?view=markup

Dan

gavin at alabastercranium

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On 24/04/2012 00:17, Scott & Nicole Harris wrote:
> There's a much cleaner way to do this that doesn't require
> ungracefully killing processes everytime you want to switch programs.
> Copy /usr/share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/library.xml (or whatever
> menu you want to put it in) to ~/.mythtv (so you don't have to redo
> this every time you update myth). Edit ~/.mythtv/library.xml and add
> a button to open XBMC where you want it (I put mine after "Listento
> Music")....
>
> <button>
> <type>LAUNCH_XBMC</type>
> <text>Launch XBMC</text>
> <description>Open XBMC media center</description>
> <action>EXEC xbmc-standalone</action>
> </button>
>
> Then when you want to use XBMC, go to Media Library -> Launch XBMC and
> off you go. When you're done, close XBMC properly (with the exit
> option from the remote) and you're back to MythTV which was waiting
> patiently underneath.

That sounds even better. Thanks.

Gavin

ejshoor at yahoo

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

From: Dan Gravell <dan.gravell at talk21 >

> George, OK, I wasn't aware that was the case. However, it's now (well, from 2010 onwards) under BSD licencehttp://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?74049-Squeezeplay-now-under-BSD-> License.Is this not good enough?
>
> http://svn.slimdevices.com/jive/7.6/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/LICENSE?view=markup
>

> Dan

I just wanted to add that I have a really nice integration of squeezeplay on mymythFE.The remote works seamlessly and I am even using the mythbuntu background on the squeezeplay theme, so the look and feel is a very close match. The only problem is that every once and a while squeezeslave and mythtv seem to clobber each other when accessing the audio port. I think its resolvable, but Ihavent spent enough time to figure out why.

I originally followed the instructions on http://theskreegs.blogspot.com/2009/02/mythtv-squeezecenter-squeezeslave.html but it looks like the page came down. I had been meaning to document the steps for a while now. Maybe this will give me a reason to.

As an aside, I havent upgraded to .25 yet, but I was so sad to hear people arent happy with the mythmusic rewrite. I had such high hopes and had been waiting so long for it to come out...

-J

eric at lisaneric

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 4:31 PM, EJS <ejshoor [at] yahoo> wrote:
> As an aside, I havent upgraded to .25 yet, but I was so sad to hear people
> arent happy with the mythmusic rewrite. I had such high hopes and had been
> waiting so long for it to come out...

Keep in mind that this opinion is not unanimous. You might like the
new .25 version better. It definitely needs a bit of work, but this
push to replace it completely seems insane to me.

Eric

gordon.mccrae at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On 24/04/12 21:52, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 4:31 PM, EJS<ejshoor [at] yahoo> wrote:
>> As an aside, I havent upgraded to .25 yet, but I was so sad to hear people
>> arent happy with the mythmusic rewrite. I had such high hopes and had been
>> waiting so long for it to come out...
> Keep in mind that this opinion is not unanimous. You might like the
> new .25 version better. It definitely needs a bit of work, but this
> push to replace it completely seems insane to me.
>
> Eric

Let's be clear Eric, no-one is saying it should be replaced, simply that
we don't like the "everything is a playlist" concept and that we
preferred the old method of having a directory tree that you could
simply browse around and if you clicked play at the top level it played
all your music, if you clicked at an artist it played everything by that
artist, if you clicked at an album it played the album and if you
clicked on a song it played a song.

I also used playlists in the old MythTV, but only used them for stuff
like "all the kids' pop songs" or "the wife's dinner party music" type
of thing.

So as an alternative to complaining about MythMusic in 0.25, we (or at
least me and a few others) would like an alternative.

I personally find the new interface cumbersome and my wife and kids
couldn't understand it at all, quote from my 11 year old "why change it
so you have to press more buttons".

Anyway, as I said, I don't want to rag on the new version; plenty of
people like it, I would simply like an alternative to keep the peace at
home.

And remember; one man's insanity is another's genius!

Cheers
Gordon

richard.e.morton at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

I used it briefly in on a VM and I didnt see anything wrong with it,
throwing the baby out with the bathwater and replacing a load of very good
work moving to MythUI rather than fixing a few issues is insane. I would
like to thank Paul H for his contribution of the rewrite. There is another
thread on this list saying that in the main the new version is a big
improvement and it just needs a few tweaks.

I suggest trying it and working on fixes if it is not to your liking.

gordon.mccrae at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On 24/04/12 22:08, Richard Morton wrote:
> I used it briefly in on a VM and I didnt see anything wrong with it,
> throwing the baby out with the bathwater and replacing a load of very
> good work moving to MythUI rather than fixing a few issues is insane.
> I would like to thank Paul H for his contribution of the rewrite.
> There is another thread on this list saying that in the main the new
> version is a big improvement and it just needs a few tweaks.
>
> I suggest trying it and working on fixes if it is not to your liking.

Again Richard, we're not saying there's anything wrong with the new
version, just that it doesn't suit everyone. This is a "users" list, so
by definition we're more likely to be users than developers or even
hackers. I'm personally faced with the option of staying with what I
have or upgrading to 0.25 and utilizing some other application for music
as my wife and kids (80% of the users) don't like it and would rather
not upgrade.

Calling this position insane is rather extreme. It's a choice nothing
else, the same way that people choose between Ubuntu, Redhat, Debian
etc. That's what open source is all about. It's not only about being
able to change the source, but also about being able to mix and match
components (in this case). For years, I couldn't play certain video file
types in MythTV with the Internal player, so I used VLC. That was a
choice, one I made because I had enough skill to change the menus, but
nothing like the skill to change the code. Since 0.24 I've been able to
dump VLC because the Internal player can now play all of my videos, and
if MythMusic continues to develop to the point where once again my
family and I feel it's the best choice, then I'll switch back to it, in
the same way that people switch between distributions.

I too would like to thank Paul H, and all of the developers for working
on MythTV as a whole; it's a fantastic product and it provides an
excellent service.

As for trying it, well I (and my family) have, and unfortunately at this
moment it doesn't match our needs. This isn't a dig at the application,
or the developer, just a statement of fact, or better put, a personal
preference. To that end, I'll look elsewhere for music playing (as I did
previously for video) and hope that eventually the two usage cases meet
and I can switch back in the near future.

Cheers
Gordon

eric at lisaneric

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Gordon McCrae <gordon.mccrae [at] gmail> wrote:
> Let's be clear Eric, no-one is saying it should be replaced, simply that we
> don't like the "everything is a playlist" concept and that we preferred the
> old method of having a directory tree that you could simply browse around
> and if you clicked play at the top level it played all your music, if you
> clicked at an artist it played everything by that artist, if you clicked at
> an album it played the album and if you clicked on a song it played a song.

Ok. So the .25 mythmusic has all of that except the top level select
all. Is that really something that people really used? Sure, I did
it a few times as a lark in previous releases but in practice I found
the result just too weird.

A lot of these posts read like people who haven't tried it for more
than a few minutes or somehow didn't find the built-in playlist editor
(M -> Switch View -> Playlist Editor Tree) that lets you pick what you
want to listen to without ever needing to save a named playlist just
like you could in earlier releases.

Eric

snharris99 at live

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

>> Let's be clear Eric, no-one is saying it should be replaced, simply that
>> we
>> don't like the "everything is a playlist" concept and that we preferred
>> the
>> old method of having a directory tree that you could simply browse around
>> and if you clicked play at the top level it played all your music, if you
>> clicked at an artist it played everything by that artist, if you clicked
>> at
>> an album it played the album and if you clicked on a song it played a
>> song.

>Ok. So the .25 mythmusic has all of that except the top level select
>all. Is that really something that people really used? Sure, I did
>it a few times as a lark in previous releases but in practice I found
>the result just too weird.

It doesn't actually have *any* of that. It has the ability to select an
album or artist and "add" or "replace tracks", thereby adding it to the
current playlist. It does not have the ability to simply select something
and have it play.

>A lot of these posts read like people who haven't tried it for more
>than a few minutes or somehow didn't find the built-in playlist editor
>(M -> Switch View -> Playlist Editor Tree) that lets you pick what you
>want to listen to without ever needing to save a named playlist just
>like you could in earlier releases.

>Eric

No it doesn't, not even close. First, it's sorted by meta tags (only
option) and all artists (for example) are lumped into one giant list that
you have to scroll through, unlike the smaller groups that I had my
directories broken out to and, again, organized precisely how I wanted it.
Don't even get me started on if your metadata is even slightly off, then you
may never find what you're looking for. Then, you can't just pick what you
want to listen to, you have to select it, which merely puts it into the
current playlist. Then you have to get to the current playlist (good luck
on figuring out how to do that sometimes), scroll through it and (finally)
play it. Not to mention that you have to "M -> Switch View -> Playlist
Editor Tree" *every* time you start listening to music because your
previously selected view isn't retained.

I'd counter your "a lot of these posts read like people..." comment with; A
lot of these "I don't see the problem" posts read like people who have a
collection of 15 songs and can't fathom why it's so hard to navigate the new
structure when you have thousands of songs.

I don't like it, you do, that's cool; not sure about calling those of us who
don’t and are looking for options insane though. Personally, I'd probably
*love* the new version with the simple addition of directory browsing as
opposed to being forced to use meta tags. Hell, I'd even live with being
forced to add everything to a playlist (like we currently are, despite your
claim) if I could navigate through my collection with my directory setup.

eric at lisaneric

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Scott & Nicole Harris
<snharris99 [at] live> wrote:
> It doesn't actually have *any* of that. It has the ability to select an
> album or artist and "add" or "replace tracks", thereby adding it to the
> current playlist. It does not have the ability to simply select something
> and have it play.

I guess I honestly don't understand the distinction. MythMusic .24
and earlier also always had a "current playlist". Selecting something
from the music tree would add that to the current play list, just like
add tracks does in .25.

> I don't like it, you do, that's cool; not sure about calling those of us who
> dont and are looking for options insane though. Personally, I'd probably
> *love* the new version with the simple addition of directory browsing as
> opposed to being forced to use meta tags.

It just seems like so much discussion on this list is being spent on
how to use something other than mythtv for music rather than coming up
with a clear and concise list of tweaks needed.

Something like:

1. There should be a top level menu entry called Path which can
browse music by filesystem path.
2. There should be a single key press to get to the tree view, with
a default binding of "3"
3. "All Tracks" should be a selectable object to add all tracks to
the playlist
4. Any list longer than ~100 entries should automatically subdivide
into sublists

Anything else?

Eric

dan.littlejohn at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Scott & Nicole Harris
> <snharris99 [at] live> wrote:
> > It doesn't actually have *any* of that. It has the ability to select an
> > album or artist and "add" or "replace tracks", thereby adding it to the
> > current playlist. It does not have the ability to simply select
> something
> > and have it play.
>
> I guess I honestly don't understand the distinction. MythMusic .24
> and earlier also always had a "current playlist". Selecting something
> from the music tree would add that to the current play list, just like
> add tracks does in .25.
>
> > I don't like it, you do, that's cool; not sure about calling those of us
> who
> > dont and are looking for options insane though. Personally, I'd
> probably
> > *love* the new version with the simple addition of directory browsing as
> > opposed to being forced to use meta tags.
>
> It just seems like so much discussion on this list is being spent on
> how to use something other than mythtv for music rather than coming up
> with a clear and concise list of tweaks needed.
>
> Something like:
>
> 1. There should be a top level menu entry called Path which can
> browse music by filesystem path.
> 2. There should be a single key press to get to the tree view, with
> a default binding of "3"
> 3. "All Tracks" should be a selectable object to add all tracks to
> the playlist
> 4. Any list longer than ~100 entries should automatically subdivide
> into sublists
>
> Anything else?
>
> Eric

I think the biggest feedback that I am reading that jumps out at me is that
the MythMusic UI is not intuitive. Here is my feedback from my first
attempt to use it. When I first went into MythMusic it was disorienting.
First thing I tried was to just press play. Nothing happened. Ok, I need
to go somewhere and select something. With the navigation buttons I was
not able to go anywhere. And so I quit. I would not be surprised if this
is what most people do, especially at a WAF level. Personally, I don't
want to have to memorize keys to a vi editor level to play music. Now
contrast that with MythVideo. You open the tool and it provides a list of
folders. You navigate through the folders and video entries and press
play. The video starts playing.

Dan