Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Re: Convert for iPad in 0.25 - how do you watch?

linux at thehobsons

adrinux wrote:

> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/513468#513468 ??
>
>*That* I have come across, but app not released yet afaik.

Not only that, but that's for streaming.

If you want to watch offline (which is the only time I'm interested
in watching video on a postage stamp) then you need to copy the files
to your iPad. AFAIK, the only "approved" way is to copy them into
iTunes and then sync your iDevice.

So I have a user job to transcode to iPad format and leave the files
in a share accessible to my Mac. I can then drag-n-drop them into
iTunes and sync.

Dunno about anything new in 0.25 though.

--
Simon Hobson

mythtv at theseekerr

Re: Convert for iPad in 0.25 - how do you watch? [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Simon Hobson <linux [at] thehobsons>wrote:

> adrinux wrote:
>
> > http://www.gossamer-threads.**com/lists/mythtv/users/513468#**513468<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/513468#513468> ??
>>
>> *That* I have come across, but app not released yet afaik.
>>

> Not only that, but that's for streaming.
>
> If you want to watch offline (which is the only time I'm interested in
> watching video on a postage stamp) then you need to copy the files to your
> iPad. AFAIK, the only "approved" way is to copy them into iTunes and then
> sync your iDevice.
>
> So I have a user job to transcode to iPad format and leave the files in a
> share accessible to my Mac. I can then drag-n-drop them into iTunes and
> sync.
>
> Dunno about anything new in 0.25 though.

It's possible, with a little know-how, to turn a directory listing into an
RSS feed that iTunes can use as a Podcast. Makes the process a little more
automatic.

(Yes, iTunes needs to be able to access the files over http, but you were
running MythWeb anyway, surely?)

- Chris

jyavenard at gmail

Re: Convert for iPad in 0.25 - how do you watch? [In reply to]

On 15 April 2012 17:57, Simon Hobson <linux [at] thehobsons> wrote:

> If you want to watch offline (which is the only time I'm interested in
> watching video on a postage stamp) then you need to copy the files to your
> iPad. AFAIK, the only "approved" way is to copy them into iTunes and then
> sync your iDevice.

I personally use the application AirVideo ; it's a great app. Can
stream any videos from your backend to the iPad/iPhone. It encodes on
the fly.
You can also mark the video for offline conversion, after which you
can copy it directly into iTunes and put it on your iPad.

I use it daily.

On the AirVideo server (available on windows, linux, mac) you run it
on the same machine as your mythbackend, add the folders you want to
share and that's it

Though with Robert's iPad application, if it works as well as stated,
that may make AirVideo redundant.

Jean-Yves

adrinux at gmail

Re: Convert for iPad in 0.25 - how do you watch? [In reply to]

Thanks for the replies guys.

To summarise the options:

a. copy the files over via mac/itunes sync.
b. set up an rss feed and subscribe in itunes (the mythexport plugin
would help with that).
c. Airvideo server + Airvideo iOS app.
d. Torc for iOS app

I think my confusion derived from the fact that 0.25 has the convert
for iPad transcode task (amongst others) built in and displayed in the
UI (at least on Mythweb). I was expecting something more instant –
like streaming from Mythweb – to just work. I can see now it still
takes a bit more effort :)

--
Adrian Simmons | http://perlucida.com

jyavenard at gmail

Re: Convert for iPad in 0.25 - how do you watch? [In reply to]

Hi

On Sunday, 15 April 2012, adrinux wrote:

> UI (at least on Mythweb). I was expecting something more instant
> like streaming from Mythweb to just work. I can see now it still
> takes a bit more effort :)

Streaming almost instantly from myth web (actually mythnackend web
interface) is there already.

jyavenard at gmail

Re: Convert for iPad in 0.25 - how do you watch? [In reply to]

On Sunday, 15 April 2012, adrinux wrote:

> I think my confusion derived from the fact that 0.25 has the convert
> for iPad transcode task (amongst others) built in and displayed in the
> UI (at least on Mythweb). I was expecting something more instant
> like streaming from Mythweb to just work. I can see now it still
> takes a bit more effort :)

Maybe I should describe on how you do it easily.

On your iPad/iPhone. Hit with Safari: http://backend_address:6544

Go into API->Examples

Select the storage group you want to browse from. Tap List Files
Select the video you want to play.

Select the resolution you want and the bit rate; the higher the better.

Select Add Stream

The stream is added to the list at the top, tap on the m3u8 link: playback
will start on your iPad.

ashu.desai at gmail

Re: Convert for iPad in 0.25 - how do you watch? [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail>wrote:

> On Sunday, 15 April 2012, adrinux wrote:
>

>> I think my confusion derived from the fact that 0.25 has the convert
>> for iPad transcode task (amongst others) built in and displayed in the
>> UI (at least on Mythweb). I was expecting something more instant
>> like streaming from Mythweb to just work. I can see now it still
>> takes a bit more effort :)
>>

> Maybe I should describe on how you do it easily.
>
> On your iPad/iPhone. Hit with Safari: http://backend_address:6544
>
> Go into API->Examples
>
> Select the storage group you want to browse from. Tap List Files
> Select the video you want to play.
>
> Select the resolution you want and the bit rate; the higher the better.
>

> Select Add Stream
>
> The stream is added to the list at the top, tap on the m3u8 link: playback
> will start on your iPad.

Thank you. Just out of curiosity - why is this "internal server" different
than "mythweb"? Is this for a different purpose?

Ash

--
http://about.me/adesai