Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

OT: Predicted hard drive failure; replacement, consideration

jayf0ster at sbcglobal

On 4/18/2012 11:32 AM, Mark Boyum<circushair [at] boyum> wrote:
> So my wife txt'd me that our MythTV was displaying an error.
> Apparently one of my two recording drives is about to fail according
> to S.M.A.R.T. (http://db.tt/HloTiIvB)
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this drive? Using it mostly for
> Myth recordings and other media storage.
> http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST3000DM001/dp/B005T3GRLY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334772887&sr=1-1
>
> This is only my second drive failure since beginning with MythTV in
> 2007. I'd like to take this "opportunity" to increase capacity again
> but would really like to keep the price as close to $150 as possible.
> I'm looking to order very quickly to get it installed this weekend
> (hopefully before complete failure).
>
> Sorry about the list noise and thanks for any pointers or advice.
> -Mark

I recently replaced my 2TB recording drive because it was showing signs
of dieing via SMART. Mine was a WD black drive (WD2001FASS) and was
replaced for free under warranty. This is the first drive I had go bad.
I have several other WD black drives that are still working great.

Jay

jra at baylink

Re: OT: Predicted hard drive failure; replacement, consideration [In reply to]

> I recently replaced my 2TB recording drive because it was showing signs
> of dieing via SMART. Mine was a WD black drive (WD2001FASS) and was
> replaced for free under warranty. This is the first drive I had go bad.
> I have several other WD black drives that are still working great.

One other note, folks:

When SMART tells you "may fail in the next 24 hours"...

*Believe it*.

If you have to take the drive (or machine) off line because you haven't any
good place to copy that much data, do so.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra [at] baylink
Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100

mark at boyum

Re: OT: Predicted hard drive failure; replacement, consideration [In reply to]

> One other note, folks:
>
> When SMART tells you "may fail in the next 24 hours"...
>
> *Believe it*.
>
> If you have to take the drive (or machine) off line because you haven't any
> good place to copy that much data, do so.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

My plan is to copy off all non-recording data and unmount the drive.
Then I'll power it down until I can install the replacement drive and
move the recordings over. Hopefully only TV recordings will be in any
risk of being lost but I'm not there yet as other files are still
copying.

Crossing my fingers,
-Mark

brent.bolin at gmail

Re: OT: Predicted hard drive failure; replacement, consideration [In reply to]

mdadm