Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

MythWeb Recordings Page

ballen at bogdan

MythWeb Recordings Page

Hello All,

I was wondering if it was possible to create a webpage that showed "Recorded Programs" from MythWeb and nothing else? The reason I ask this is because I would like to provide a webpage for my house where everyone can go to and see what has been recorded without seeing all the other buttons and links that MythWeb offers. I assume I will need to edit some files under /var/www/mythweb but I am not sure which ones.

If you need any more information, just let me know and thanks in advance for any feedback.

david.whyte at gmail

Re: MythWeb Recordings Page [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Ben Allen <ballen [at] bogdan> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I was wondering if it was possible to create a webpage that showed "Recorded
> Programs" from MythWeb and nothing else?  The reason I ask this is because I
> would like to provide a webpage for my house where everyone can go to and
> see what has been recorded without seeing all the other buttons and links
> that MythWeb offers.  I assume I will need to edit some files under
> /var/www/mythweb but I am not sure which ones.

This should be fairly easy. I understand that mythweb gives you an
RSS feed of the recorded programs at
http://<yourserver>/mythweb/rss/tv/recorded and combined with
something like XSLT
(http://www.w3schools.com/xsl/tryxslt.asp?xmlfile=cdcatalog&xsltfile=cdcatalog),
you could quite easy make a simple web page for your family.

Let me know if none of the above makes sense.

Cheers,
Whytey

ballen at bogdan

Re: MythWeb Recordings Page [In reply to]

Hello David. Thanks for the response. I found the RSS feed on the
recordings page and looks like that might do what I am looking for. As
I am not familiar with XSLT, how would I go about adding the RSS to
XSLT?

david.whyte at gmail

Re: MythWeb Recordings Page [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 6:12 AM, Ben Allen <ballen [at] bogdan> wrote:
> Hello David.  Thanks for the response.  I found the RSS feed on the
> recordings page and looks like that might do what I am looking for.  As I am
> not familiar with XSLT, how would I go about adding the RSS to XSLT?

Hmmm, I had a look but it appears that the RSS feed does not correctly
conform to XML standards (my feed has ampersands '&' in the program
titles that are not escaped).

What version of mythTV are you using? Maybe you could use MythXML
(0.24) (now known as the Services API on 0.25) instead?

david.whyte at gmail

Re: MythWeb Recordings Page [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM, David Whyte <david.whyte [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 6:12 AM, Ben Allen <ballen [at] bogdan> wrote:
>> Hello David.  Thanks for the response.  I found the RSS feed on the
>> recordings page and looks like that might do what I am looking for.  As I am
>> not familiar with XSLT, how would I go about adding the RSS to XSLT?
>
> Hmmm, I had a look but it appears that the RSS feed does not correctly
> conform to XML standards (my feed has ampersands '&' in the program
> titles that are not escaped).
>
> What version of mythTV are you using?  Maybe you could use MythXML
> (0.24) (now known as the Services API on 0.25) instead?

I have hacked up the following. I think it should work for either
0.24 or 0.25, although you will have to modify index.html accordingly.
Also, change the recordings.xsl to display the details that you wish
to display. All of the attached files just need to be placed so that
they can be accessed from a browser. I.e. for me, they would go in
/var/www/html/simple_mythweb/ and then I can access them from
http://mybackendip/simple_mythweb/index.html

Also, I haven't done much in the way of testing any of the attached.
I am not near my backend machine.

Regards and good luck!,
Whytey
Attachments: index.html (1.08 KB)
  recordings.xsl (0.70 KB)

ballen at bogdan

Re: MythWeb Recordings Page [In reply to]

Thanks for the files, I greatly appreciate it. I am using mythTV
version 0.24 right now. I edited the index.html page you created to use
the IP address of my Myth Backend. The location of both files on my
system is /var/www/mythweb. When I go to
http://192.168.1.10/mythweb/index.html, I get an error that says, "An
unknown module was specified." I took a look at the html code but I am
not sure what needs to be changed to resolve this error. When you have
a chance, do you have any ideas on how to resolve this error?

Thank-you,

Ben

david.whyte at gmail

Re: MythWeb Recordings Page [In reply to]

...sent from my PDA.
On Apr 19, 2012 10:39 PM, "Ben Allen" <ballen [at] bogdan> wrote:

> Thanks for the files, I greatly appreciate it. I am using mythTV version
0.24 right now. I edited the index.html page you created to use the IP
address of my Myth Backend. The location of both files on my system is
/var/www/mythweb. When I go to http://192.168.1.10/mythweb/index.html, I
get an error that says, “An unknown module was specified.” I took a look
at the html code but I am not sure what needs to be changed to resolve this
error. When you have a chance, do you have any ideas on how to resolve
this error?

> Thank-you,
>
> Ben

Hey Ben,

Mythweb is pretty tightly configured and looks after its own pages only.
Place those files outside of Mythweb, in a directory similar to what I had
in my last email.

Cheers,
Whytey

ballen at bogdan

Re: MythWeb Recordings Page [In reply to]

I moved the files into a folder called "allen" for the time being. When
I go to http://192.168.1.10/allen/index.html, I get a blank page. Not
sure what I am missing at this point but when you have a chance, can you
let me know if I am missing anything. As for now, I will keep working
on it today when I can and see if I can figure out what's going on.
Thanks.

-Ben

david.whyte at gmail

Re: MythWeb Recordings Page [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Ben Allen <ballen [at] bogdan> wrote:
> I moved the files into a folder called “allen” for the time being.  When I
> go to http://192.168.1.10/allen/index.html, I get a blank page.  Not sure
> what I am missing at this point but when you have a chance, can you let me
> know if I am missing anything.  As for now, I will keep working on it today
> when I can and see if I can figure out what’s going on.  Thanks.

Not too sure what the problem may be. What browser are you using? If
on Firefox, try using the Tools > Web Developer > Web Console to see
if there are any errors being thrown by the Javascript doing the work
in the index page.

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Re: MythWeb Recordings Page [In reply to]

It would be great if you put this up on the MythTV wiki!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!

david.whyte at gmail

Re: MythWeb Recordings Page [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Ben Allen <ballen [at] bogdan> wrote:
> I moved the files into a folder called “allen” for the time being.  When I
> go to http://192.168.1.10/allen/index.html, I get a blank page.  Not sure
> what I am missing at this point but when you have a chance, can you let me
> know if I am missing anything.  As for now, I will keep working on it today
> when I can and see if I can figure out what’s going on.  Thanks.

Aaaargh! So it turned out that this wouldn't work because the browser
wouldn't let us request data from mythbackend since it was considered
to be a different domain that the web-server (due to the different
ports).

After far too much work (I was supposed to be in bed *hours* ago), I
have something that works on my backend. Take the attached file, put
it in the your 'allen' folder, then load the page. Note that this is
now a php file so expects PHP to be running on your webserver, which
is fine if it is already running mythweb. Make sure you call
index.php this time.

Good luck!

Whytey
Attachments: index.php (2.06 KB)

david.whyte at gmail

Re: MythWeb Recordings Page [In reply to]

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 1:23 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
> It would be great if you put this up on the MythTV wiki!
>
> --

Will do Steve, once Ben confirms it works (and I clean it up a little more).

Cheers,
Whytey

ballen at bogdan

Re: MythWeb Recordings Page [In reply to]

Worked perfectly!! Thanks for all your time and efforts, I greatly
appreciate it. I did think of one last question though. Is it possible
to insert the thumbnail image of the recording into the table or, to
take it one step further, is it possible to add a link to the ASX stream
or MPG download in the table for each recording?

david.whyte at gmail

Re: MythWeb Recordings Page [In reply to]

...sent from my PDA.
On Apr 21, 2012 8:19 AM, "Ben Allen" <ballen [at] bogdan> wrote:

> Worked perfectly!! Thanks for all your time and efforts, I greatly
appreciate it. I did think of one last question though. Is it possible to
insert the thumbnail image of the recording into the table or, to take it
one step further, is it possible to add a link to the ASX stream or MPG
download in the table for each recording?

Anything is possible. I will have a look over the weekend and get back to
you.