Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

gordon.mccrae at gmail

Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one?

I've just installed MythTV 0.25 on my test rig, and while I'm
generally incredibly impressed by it I'm afraid I have to agree with
the various people who've already bemoaned the move away from
directory tree structure for music selection.

Having said that, I'm happy to accept that at the end of the day, I
can't write the code so I have to take what's available and get on
with it.

My kids however find it impossible to get their little minds around
the new system (and dad isn't much better off to be honest), so I'll
need to find an alternative.

Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, and conscious that compiling the
old 0.24.x MythMusic to work with 0.25 is a very temporary solution at
best, I'd like to know if anyone else out there uses alternative music
players that implement the same sort of ARTIST/ALBUM/SONG structure
that the old MythMusic used and can be controlled simply with a remote
control (no keyboards on any of my eight MythTV systems).

I recall briefly seeing the likes of Banshee and Amarok, and if memory
serves, they follow the same sort of concept of the 0.25 MythMusic, so
they're out (I believe).

Cheers
Gordon

gaberubin at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Gordon McCrae <gordon.mccrae [at] gmail> wrote:
> I've just installed MythTV 0.25 on my test rig, and while I'm
> generally incredibly impressed by it I'm afraid I have to agree with
> the various people who've already bemoaned the move away from
> directory tree structure for music selection.
>
> Having said that, I'm happy to accept that at the end of the day, I
> can't write the code so I have to take what's available and get on
> with it.
>
> My kids however find it impossible to get their little minds around
> the new system (and dad isn't much better off to be honest), so I'll
> need to find an alternative.
>
> Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, and conscious that compiling the
> old 0.24.x MythMusic to work with 0.25 is a very temporary solution at
> best, I'd like to know if anyone else out there uses alternative music
> players that implement the same sort of ARTIST/ALBUM/SONG structure
> that the old MythMusic used and can be controlled simply with a remote
> control (no keyboards on any of my eight MythTV systems).
>
> I recall briefly seeing the likes of Banshee and Amarok, and if memory
> serves, they follow the same sort of concept of the 0.25 MythMusic, so
> they're out (I believe).
>
> Cheers
> Gordon

I have never been a fan of MythMusic (and have not looked at .25's
implementation yet). What I did in the past is make my mythbox a
squeezebox server and put on a squeezebox frontend on the frontend I
use (it happens to be the same machine as I only have a combined
FE/BE). Then you can use any web browser as a remote or get iPeng for
the iPhone/iPod/iPad to use as a remote. Nothing visual is displayed
on the tv so this might not be what you want and there are a couple
extra tricks you need to do to run it.

Now, with .25 supporting AirPlay, I suspect I will just stream
whatever music is on my iPhone to my mythbox. Again, this uses the
iPhone sort of as a remote and you are limited to just what is on your
iDevice, but this is another solution.

mythtv-users at lists

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

Gordon McCrae wrote:
> Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, and conscious that compiling the
> old 0.24.x MythMusic to work with 0.25 is a very temporary solution at
> best, I'd like to know if anyone else out there uses alternative music
> players that implement the same sort of ARTIST/ALBUM/SONG structure
> that the old MythMusic used and can be controlled simply with a remote
> control (no keyboards on any of my eight MythTV systems).

I'm using XBMC for music and other stuff like iPlayer. I assigned an
unused button on my remote control to kill mythfrontend and start xbmc
and vice versa.

HTH
Thomas

gordon.mccrae at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On 17 April 2012 21:20, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Gordon McCrae <gordon.mccrae [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I've just installed MythTV 0.25 on my test rig, and while I'm
>> generally incredibly impressed by it I'm afraid I have to agree with
>> the various people who've already bemoaned the move away from
>> directory tree structure for music selection.
>>
>> Having said that, I'm happy to accept that at the end of the day, I
>> can't write the code so I have to take what's available and get on
>> with it.
>>
>> My kids however find it impossible to get their little minds around
>> the new system (and dad isn't much better off to be honest), so I'll
>> need to find an alternative.
>>
>> Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, and conscious that compiling the
>> old 0.24.x MythMusic to work with 0.25 is a very temporary solution at
>> best, I'd like to know if anyone else out there uses alternative music
>> players that implement the same sort of ARTIST/ALBUM/SONG structure
>> that the old MythMusic used and can be controlled simply with a remote
>> control (no keyboards on any of my eight MythTV systems).
>>
>> I recall briefly seeing the likes of Banshee and Amarok, and if memory
>> serves, they follow the same sort of concept of the 0.25 MythMusic, so
>> they're out (I believe).
>>
>> Cheers
>> Gordon
>
> I have never been a fan of MythMusic (and have not looked at .25's
> implementation yet). †What I did in the past is make my mythbox a
> squeezebox server and put on a squeezebox frontend on the frontend I
> use (it happens to be the same machine as I only have a combined
> FE/BE). †Then you can use any web browser as a remote or get iPeng for
> the iPhone/iPod/iPad to use as a remote. †Nothing visual is displayed
> on the tv so this might not be what you want and there are a couple
> extra tricks you need to do to run it.
>
> Now, with .25 supporting AirPlay, I suspect I will just stream
> whatever music is on my iPhone to my mythbox. †Again, this uses the
> iPhone sort of as a remote and you are limited to just what is on your
> iDevice, but this is another solution.
I was actually perfectly happy with the old MythMusic, but let's not
go into that, at the end of the day some people are working hard to
produce new software for MythTV, and most people probably prefer the
"everything is a playlist" approach, so who am I to complain? The 0.25
version certainly looks prettier, and has many options, it's just the
playlist thing that totally confuses my wife and kids, and even I
struggle to use it without wishing the old method was still around.

No Apple devices in house, besides I wouldn't want to give a
smartphone to a small child to use as a remote anyway even if I did
have them, but the squeezebox angle sounds interesting I'm sure I
configured that once back before MythTV when I used Hauppauge MVPs,
I'll have a look at the Linux solutions for on-screen players for
that, thanks for the tip!

Cheers
Gordon

gordon.mccrae at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On 17 April 2012 21:30, Thomas Boehm <mythtv-users [at] lists> wrote:
> Gordon McCrae wrote:
>> Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, and conscious that compiling the
>> old 0.24.x MythMusic to work with 0.25 is a very temporary solution at
>> best, I'd like to know if anyone else out there uses alternative music
>> players that implement the same sort of ARTIST/ALBUM/SONG structure
>> that the old MythMusic used and can be controlled simply with a remote
>> control (no keyboards on any of my eight MythTV systems).
>
> I'm using XBMC for music and other stuff like iPlayer. I assigned an
> unused button on my remote control to kill mythfrontend and start xbmc
> and vice versa.
>
> HTH
> Thomas

And is XBMC's music player capable of working like MythMusic < 0.25?
i.e. just reading the MP3 files in their directory structure with no
requirement to use playlists?

Cheers
Gordon

gaberubin at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Gordon McCrae <gordon.mccrae [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 17 April 2012 21:20, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Gordon McCrae <gordon.mccrae [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> I've just installed MythTV 0.25 on my test rig, and while I'm
>>> generally incredibly impressed by it I'm afraid I have to agree with
>>> the various people who've already bemoaned the move away from
>>> directory tree structure for music selection.
>>>
>>> Having said that, I'm happy to accept that at the end of the day, I
>>> can't write the code so I have to take what's available and get on
>>> with it.
>>>
>>> My kids however find it impossible to get their little minds around
>>> the new system (and dad isn't much better off to be honest), so I'll
>>> need to find an alternative.
>>>
>>> Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, and conscious that compiling the
>>> old 0.24.x MythMusic to work with 0.25 is a very temporary solution at
>>> best, I'd like to know if anyone else out there uses alternative music
>>> players that implement the same sort of ARTIST/ALBUM/SONG structure
>>> that the old MythMusic used and can be controlled simply with a remote
>>> control (no keyboards on any of my eight MythTV systems).
>>>
>>> I recall briefly seeing the likes of Banshee and Amarok, and if memory
>>> serves, they follow the same sort of concept of the 0.25 MythMusic, so
>>> they're out (I believe).
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Gordon
>>
>> I have never been a fan of MythMusic (and have not looked at .25's
>> implementation yet). †What I did in the past is make my mythbox a
>> squeezebox server and put on a squeezebox frontend on the frontend I
>> use (it happens to be the same machine as I only have a combined
>> FE/BE). †Then you can use any web browser as a remote or get iPeng for
>> the iPhone/iPod/iPad to use as a remote. †Nothing visual is displayed
>> on the tv so this might not be what you want and there are a couple
>> extra tricks you need to do to run it.
>>
>> Now, with .25 supporting AirPlay, I suspect I will just stream
>> whatever music is on my iPhone to my mythbox. †Again, this uses the
>> iPhone sort of as a remote and you are limited to just what is on your
>> iDevice, but this is another solution.
> I was actually perfectly happy with the old MythMusic, but let's not
> go into that, at the end of the day some people are working hard to
> produce new software for MythTV, and most people probably prefer the
> "everything is a playlist" approach, so who am I to complain? The 0.25
> version certainly looks prettier, and has many options, it's just the
> playlist thing that totally confuses my wife and kids, and even I
> struggle to use it without wishing the old method was still around.

I definitely am not trying to be critical of the development of
mythmusic or any other aspect. I personally don't know a good system
to manage my over 120 gigs of music using a remote. When I do use
mythmusic (pre .25), I just choose random and keep clicking next until
I find something I like. This amount of music requires a different
way to interface with than a remote IMO.

> No Apple devices in house, besides I wouldn't want to give a
> smartphone to a small child to use as a remote anyway even if I did
> have them, but the squeezebox angle sounds interesting I'm sure I
> configured that once back before MythTV when I used Hauppauge MVPs,
> I'll have a look at the Linux solutions for on-screen players for
> that, thanks for the tip!

If you want to use the squeezebox route, look for posts that I wrote
up about a year or two ago describing what I did to get the system
working. I can probably find the link if you can't. As long as you
have a computer with web access in the room, you can use that as the
remote (as opposed to a smart phone). There are a ton of other cool
features as well including tuning into to virtually any radio station
in the world, podcasts, and other online music services. Plus, if you
like it, you can get small squeezebox frontends in other rooms, either
pre-manufactured ones or just turn any computer into a frontend.

mythtv-users at lists

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

Gordon McCrae wrote:
> And is XBMC's music player capable of working like MythMusic < 0.25?
> i.e. just reading the MP3 files in their directory structure with no
> requirement to use playlists?

Yep, you just browse your directory structure. If you then click on one
song it just plays it and all following in this directory.

jedi at mishnet

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 09:39:56PM +0100, Gordon McCrae wrote:
> On 17 April 2012 21:30, Thomas Boehm <mythtv-users [at] lists> wrote:
> > Gordon McCrae wrote:
> >> Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, and conscious that compiling the
> >> old 0.24.x MythMusic to work with 0.25 is a very temporary solution at
> >> best, I'd like to know if anyone else out there uses alternative music
> >> players that implement the same sort of ARTIST/ALBUM/SONG structure
> >> that the old MythMusic used and can be controlled simply with a remote
> >> control (no keyboards on any of my eight MythTV systems).
> >
> > I'm using XBMC for music and other stuff like iPlayer. I assigned an
> > unused button on my remote control to kill mythfrontend and start xbmc
> > and vice versa.
> >
> > HTH
> > Thomas
>
> And is XBMC's music player capable of working like MythMusic < 0.25?
> i.e. just reading the MP3 files in their directory structure with no
> requirement to use playlists?

I think pretty much any video appliance or alternate HTPC software can.

[deletia]

george.galt at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Gordon McCrae <gordon.mccrae [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> I have never been a fan of MythMusic (and have not looked at .25's
>>> implementation yet). †What I did in the past is make my mythbox a
>>> squeezebox server and put on a squeezebox frontend on the frontend I
>>> use (it happens to be the same machine as I only have a combined
>>> FE/BE). †Then you can use any web browser as a remote or get iPeng for
>>> the iPhone/iPod/iPad to use as a remote. †Nothing visual is displayed
>>> on the tv so this might not be what you want and there are a couple
>>> extra tricks you need to do to run it.
>>>
>>> Now, with .25 supporting AirPlay, I suspect I will just stream
>>> whatever music is on my iPhone to my mythbox. †Again, this uses the
>>> iPhone sort of as a remote and you are limited to just what is on your
>>> iDevice, but this is another solution.
>> I was actually perfectly happy with the old MythMusic, but let's not
>> go into that, at the end of the day some people are working hard to
>> produce new software for MythTV, and most people probably prefer the
>> "everything is a playlist" approach, so who am I to complain? The 0.25
>> version certainly looks prettier, and has many options, it's just the
>> playlist thing that totally confuses my wife and kids, and even I
>> struggle to use it without wishing the old method was still around.
>>
> I definitely am not trying to be critical of the development of
> mythmusic or any other aspect. †I personally don't know a good system
> to manage my over 120 gigs of music using a remote. †When I do use
> mythmusic (pre .25), I just choose random and keep clicking next until
> I find something I like. †This amount of music requires a different
> way to interface with than a remote IMO.
>
>> No Apple devices in house, besides I wouldn't want to give a
>> smartphone to a small child to use as a remote anyway even if I did
>> have them, but the squeezebox angle sounds interesting I'm sure I
>> configured that once back before MythTV when I used Hauppauge MVPs,
>> I'll have a look at the Linux solutions for on-screen players for
>> that, thanks for the tip!
>>

> If you want to use the squeezebox route, look for posts that I wrote
> up about a year or two ago describing what I did to get the system
> working. †I can probably find the link if you can't. †As long as you
> have a computer with web access in the room, you can use that as the
> remote (as opposed to a smart phone). †There are a ton of other cool
> features as well including tuning into to virtually any radio station
> in the world, podcasts, and other online music services. †Plus, if you
> like it, you can get small squeezebox frontends in other rooms, either
> pre-manufactured ones or just turn any computer into a frontend.

At one point I wrote a frontend for squeezeslave that worked with Myth
>= 0.23. It got too bloated, but I've been thinking of reworking it
again. All it really does is put a myth-friendly face on
squeezeslave, so you can see and control squeezeslave using your
remote.
I probably should dust off the old code and see what I could salvage.

George

gaberubin at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 2:01 PM, George Galt <george.galt [at] gmail> wrote:
> At one point I wrote a frontend for squeezeslave that worked with Myth
>>= 0.23. †It got too bloated, but I've been thinking of reworking it
> again. †All it really does is put a myth-friendly face on
> squeezeslave, so you can see and control squeezeslave using your
> remote.
> I probably should dust off the old code and see what I could salvage.
>
> George

I would love it if you did that. It would be a lot better than my
bubblegum hacked up job I use.

nick.rout at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 2:01 PM, George Galt <george.galt [at] gmail> wrote:
>> At one point I wrote a frontend for squeezeslave that worked with Myth
>>>= 0.23. †It got too bloated, but I've been thinking of reworking it
>> again. †All it really does is put a myth-friendly face on
>> squeezeslave, so you can see and control squeezeslave using your
>> remote.
>> I probably should dust off the old code and see what I could salvage.
>>
>> George
>
> I would love it if you did that. †It would be a lot better than my
> bubblegum hacked up job I use.

I wrote up an approach using slimp3 years ago
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/278169#278169

since then slimp3 does not work well for me and I have been thinking
of revamping it using squeezeslave. Currently if I ssh into my
frontend and execute

squeezeslave -D -F -n spdif

I get a display on screen like a squeezebox (basic model). It
willeasily fit in with a remote as it is key driven:

Keys: 0-9: 0-9
Insert or I Add
Cursor Keys Arrows
>,< Fwd,Rew
Home or H Home
End or N Now Playing
Space or P Pause
Enter Play
Q Quit
R Repeat
S Shuffle
b Browse
F Favourites
% Size
Z Sleep
+,- Vol up,down

I will probably incorporate it into a shell like I did slimp3 per my
2007 post, when I get round to it.

I would love George to redo his mythsqueeze plugin, it'd look much nicer.

gaberubin at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 2:01 PM, George Galt <george.galt [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> At one point I wrote a frontend for squeezeslave that worked with Myth
>>> again. †All it really does is put a myth-friendly face on
>>> squeezeslave, so you can see and control squeezeslave using your
>>> remote.
>>> I probably should dust off the old code and see what I could salvage.
>>>
>>> George
>>
>> I would love it if you did that. †It would be a lot better than my
>> bubblegum hacked up job I use.
>
> I wrote up an approach using slimp3 years ago
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/278169#278169
>
> since then slimp3 does not work well for me and I have been thinking
> of revamping it using squeezeslave. Currently if I ssh into my
> frontend and execute
>
> squeezeslave †-D -F -n spdif
>
> I get a display on screen like a squeezebox (basic model). It
> willeasily fit in with a remote as it is key driven:
>
> †Keys: 0-9: † † † † † † 0-9
> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Insert or I † † †Add
> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Cursor Keys † † †Arrows
> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †>,< † † † † † † †Fwd,Rew
> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Home or H † † † †Home
> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †End or N † † † † Now Playing
> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Space or P † † † Pause
> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Enter † † † † † †Play
> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Q † † † † † † † †Quit
> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †R † † † † † † † †Repeat
> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †S † † † † † † † †Shuffle
> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †b † † † † † † † †Browse
> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †F † † † † † † † †Favourites
> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †% † † † † † † † †Size
> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Z † † † † † † † †Sleep
> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †+,- † † † † † † †Vol up,down
>
> I will probably incorporate it into a shell like I did slimp3 per my
> 2007 post, when I get round to it.
>
> I would love George to redo his mythsqueeze plugin, it'd look much nicer.

I use squeezeslave and I believe (although George should correct me if
I am wrong) that mythsqueeze was based on squeezeslave.

The only gotcha with squeezeslave is that if you use ALSA, don't use
pulse, then squeezeslave will take over the audio output even when no
music is being played so you can't use myth (at least the audio
portion) until you kill squeezeslave. I have a button on my remote
that triggers an irexec event to execute a script that calls up
squeezeslave. I have my lirc file configured so that whenever I hit
stop, squeezeslave is killed (regardless of if squeezeslave is running
or not -- not the most elegant script but it works).

jyavenard at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On 18 April 2012 10:01, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
> The only gotcha with squeezeslave is that if you use ALSA, don't use
> pulse, then squeezeslave will take over the audio output even when no
> music is being played so you can't use myth (at least the audio
> portion) until you kill squeezeslave. †I have a button on my remote
> that triggers an irexec event to execute a script that calls up
> squeezeslave. †I have my lirc file configured so that whenever I hit
> stop, squeezeslave is killed (regardless of if squeezeslave is running
> or not -- not the most elegant script but it works).

This is quite easy to get around.
You could use pulse and the pulse's ALSA emulation (ALSA:pulse in mythtv)

Or set a dmix device like so:
~/.asoundrc:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmix:1,3"
}

where that's for card 1 , device 3

Can now have multiple devices using the alsa port

gaberubin at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 18 April 2012 10:01, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
>> The only gotcha with squeezeslave is that if you use ALSA, don't use
>> pulse, then squeezeslave will take over the audio output even when no
>> music is being played so you can't use myth (at least the audio
>> portion) until you kill squeezeslave. †I have a button on my remote
>> that triggers an irexec event to execute a script that calls up
>> squeezeslave. †I have my lirc file configured so that whenever I hit
>> stop, squeezeslave is killed (regardless of if squeezeslave is running
>> or not -- not the most elegant script but it works).
>
> This is quite easy to get around.
> You could use pulse and the pulse's ALSA emulation (ALSA:pulse in mythtv)
>
> Or set a dmix device like so:
> ~/.asoundrc:
> pcm.!default {
> † type plug
> † slave.pcm "dmix:1,3"
> }
>
> where that's for card 1 , device 3
>
> Can now have multiple devices using the alsa port

I seem to recall you telling me that if I use Pulse than I can't do
passthrough and the audio will be altered from the original. Does the
ALSA emulation fix this or was I mistaken from the get go?

nick.rout at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> I would love it if you did that. †It would be a lot better than my
>>> bubblegum hacked up job I use.
>>
>> I wrote up an approach using slimp3 years ago
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/278169#278169
>>
>> since then slimp3 does not work well for me and I have been thinking
>> of revamping it using squeezeslave. Currently if I ssh into my
>> frontend and execute
>>
>> squeezeslave †-D -F -n spdif
>>
>> I get a display on screen like a squeezebox (basic model). It
>> willeasily fit in with a remote as it is key driven:
>>
>> †Keys: 0-9: † † † † † † 0-9
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Insert or I † † †Add
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Cursor Keys † † †Arrows
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †>,< † † † † † † †Fwd,Rew
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Home or H † † † †Home
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †End or N † † † † Now Playing
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Space or P † † † Pause
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Enter † † † † † †Play
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Q † † † † † † † †Quit
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †R † † † † † † † †Repeat
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †S † † † † † † † †Shuffle
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †b † † † † † † † †Browse
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †F † † † † † † † †Favourites
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †% † † † † † † † †Size
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Z † † † † † † † †Sleep
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †+,- † † † † † † †Vol up,down
>>
>> I will probably incorporate it into a shell like I did slimp3 per my
>> 2007 post, when I get round to it.
>>
>> I would love George to redo his mythsqueeze plugin, it'd look much nicer.
>
> I use squeezeslave and I believe (although George should correct me if
> I am wrong) that mythsqueeze was based on squeezeslave.
>
> The only gotcha with squeezeslave is that if you use ALSA, don't use
> pulse, then squeezeslave will take over the audio output even when no
> music is being played so you can't use myth (at least the audio
> portion) until you kill squeezeslave. †I have a button on my remote
> that triggers an irexec event to execute a script that calls up
> squeezeslave. †I have my lirc file configured so that whenever I hit
> stop, squeezeslave is killed (regardless of if squeezeslave is running
> or not -- not the most elegant script but it works).

Actually I should have said that I was prompted towards squeezeslave
by a post on this list, probably from you (credit where it is due
etc).

My idea is to have an xterm type program go full screen when you
choose squeeze from a mythmenu. You then play music like you were
using a regular squeeze device. When you exit squeezeslave, it exits
the xterm and you go back to the myth menu system. I assume this
releases the audio device that was used by squeezeslave.

jyavenard at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On 18 April 2012 10:28, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
> I seem to recall you telling me that if I use Pulse than I can't do
> passthrough and the audio will be altered from the original. †Does the
> ALSA emulation fix this or was I mistaken from the get go?

obviously to mux the audio, you can't do digital passthrough...

you have to choose between having multiple audio source and highest
quality as possible

george.galt at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> I would love it if you did that. †It would be a lot better than my
>>> bubblegum hacked up job I use.
>>
>> I wrote up an approach using slimp3 years ago
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/278169#278169
>>
>> since then slimp3 does not work well for me and I have been thinking
>> of revamping it using squeezeslave. Currently if I ssh into my
>> frontend and execute
>>
>> squeezeslave †-D -F -n spdif
>>
>> I get a display on screen like a squeezebox (basic model). It
>> willeasily fit in with a remote as it is key driven:
>>
>> †Keys: 0-9: † † † † † † 0-9
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Insert or I † † †Add
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Cursor Keys † † †Arrows
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †>,< † † † † † † †Fwd,Rew
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Home or H † † † †Home
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †End or N † † † † Now Playing
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Space or P † † † Pause
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Enter † † † † † †Play
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Q † † † † † † † †Quit
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †R † † † † † † † †Repeat
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †S † † † † † † † †Shuffle
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †b † † † † † † † †Browse
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †F † † † † † † † †Favourites
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †% † † † † † † † †Size
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Z † † † † † † † †Sleep
>> † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †+,- † † † † † † †Vol up,down
>>
>> I will probably incorporate it into a shell like I did slimp3 per my
>> 2007 post, when I get round to it.
>>
>> I would love George to redo his mythsqueeze plugin, it'd look much nicer.
>
> I use squeezeslave and I believe (although George should correct me if
> I am wrong) that mythsqueeze was based on squeezeslave.
>
> The only gotcha with squeezeslave is that if you use ALSA, don't use
> pulse, then squeezeslave will take over the audio output even when no
> music is being played so you can't use myth (at least the audio
> portion) until you kill squeezeslave. †I have a button on my remote
> that triggers an irexec event to execute a script that calls up
> squeezeslave. †I have my lirc file configured so that whenever I hit
> stop, squeezeslave is killed (regardless of if squeezeslave is running
> or not -- not the most elegant script but it works).

Yes, Mythsqueezebox was/is based on squeezeslave. The first
incarnation actually took bits of squeezeslave and incorporated it
into the code, the second version simply uses QProcess to create an
instance of squeezeslave while the plugin is running. The advantage
to this approach is both that I don't have to do anything to keep up
with development of squeezeslave, and second, since QProcess
terminates with the plugin, you don't have the problem of squeezeslave
grabbing audio and not letting go (though I believe this has been
fixed).

I'll see if I can cobble something together this weekend or next and put it out.

George

blammo.doh at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Gordon McCrae <gordon.mccrae [at] gmail> wrote:
> I was actually perfectly happy with the old MythMusic, but let's not
> go into that, at the end of the day some people are working hard to
> produce new software for MythTV, and most people probably prefer the
> "everything is a playlist" approach, so who am I to complain?

I'm also in the same boat.. Music in our house is usually "hey I want
to hear XXX CD" which was easy under the old structure.

Given the number of devices external to MythFrontEnd people have to
play music now, if I had to give up a useful MythMusic to gain better
uPNP/etc support, that's a tradeoff I can work with.

gordon.mccrae at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

Unfortunately, I convinced all of my family to get rid of the assorted boom boxes etc, so that's why I need to find an alternative to MythMusic. The squeeze solution sound promising to start with, and it lookd like there may even be some Myth plugins hidden away that have better Myth to Squeeze integration. I'll try the text mode client initially as a stop gap and wait to see what happens with the plugins.

Cheers
Gordon

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

Hi

On Thursday, 19 April 2012, gordon.mccrae [at] gmail wrote:

> Unfortunately, I convinced all of my family to get rid of the assorted
> boom boxes etc, so that's why I need to find an alternative to MythMusic.
> The squeeze solution sound promising to start with, and it lookd like there
> may even be some Myth plugins hidden away that have better Myth to Squeeze
> integration. I'll try the text mode client initially as a stop gap and wait
> to see what happens with the plugins.

You can always check out the old myth music plugin and recompile it... It
should still work

michael at thewatsonfamily

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On 19/04/2012 9:22 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thursday, 19 April 2012, gordon.mccrae [at] gmail
> <mailto:gordon.mccrae [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately, I convinced all of my family to get rid of the
> assorted boom boxes etc, so that's why I need to find an
> alternative to MythMusic. The squeeze solution sound promising to
> start with, and it lookd like there may even be some Myth plugins
> hidden away that have better Myth to Squeeze integration. I'll try
> the text mode client initially as a stop gap and wait to see what
> happens with the plugins.
>

> You can always check out the old myth music plugin and recompile it...
> It should still work

Can it be added back in as an alternative "plugin" for music? I think
this would satisfy the many that have issues with the new MythMusic.
(Personally, I dont mind it)

phipps-hutton at sky

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

Quoting Gordon McCrae <gordon.mccrae [at] gmail>:

> I've just installed MythTV 0.25 on my test rig, and while I'm
> generally incredibly impressed by it I'm afraid I have to agree with
> the various people who've already bemoaned the move away from
> directory tree structure for music selection.
>
> Having said that, I'm happy to accept that at the end of the day, I
> can't write the code so I have to take what's available and get on
> with it.

I had great hopes for MythMPD
(http://www.mackers.com/projects/mythmpd/) but it seems to have
stopped at 0.21. I have some unused buttons on my remote bound to some
hacky scripts to play music from MPD over RTP to the frontend and they
work very well but they just play what eveer in in the MPD playlist so
not much use for you I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Tim.

gavin at alabastercranium

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On 17/04/2012 21:30, Thomas Boehm wrote:
> Gordon McCrae wrote:
>> Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, and conscious that compiling the
>> old 0.24.x MythMusic to work with 0.25 is a very temporary solution at
>> best, I'd like to know if anyone else out there uses alternative music
>> players that implement the same sort of ARTIST/ALBUM/SONG structure
>> that the old MythMusic used and can be controlled simply with a remote
>> control (no keyboards on any of my eight MythTV systems).
> I'm using XBMC for music and other stuff like iPlayer. I assigned an
> unused button on my remote control to kill mythfrontend and start xbmc
> and vice versa.
>
> HTH
> Thomas
Thomas,

Could you tell me how you set this up? It sounds like something I would
like to try.

Gavin

rob.verduijn at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

2012/4/22 Gavin Whitehead <gavin [at] alabastercranium>:
> On 17/04/2012 21:30, Thomas Boehm wrote:
>>
>> Gordon McCrae wrote:
>>>
>>> Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, and conscious that compiling the
>>> old 0.24.x MythMusic to work with 0.25 is a very temporary solution at
>>> best, I'd like to know if anyone else out there uses alternative music
>>> players that implement the same sort of ARTIST/ALBUM/SONG structure
>>> that the old MythMusic used and can be controlled simply with a remote
>>> control (no keyboards on any of my eight MythTV systems).
>>
>> I'm using XBMC for music and other stuff like iPlayer. I assigned an
>> unused button on my remote control to kill mythfrontend and start xbmc
>> and vice versa.
>>
>> HTH
>> Thomas
>
> Thomas,
>
> Could you tell me how you set this up?  It sounds like something I would
> like to try.
>
> Gavin

Hello,

I must say i never really got used to the old .24 mythmusic interface
the only option i used was random play all and hit next until some
song that i liked started. But since this was cumbersome so I rarely
used mythmusic at all.
I have browsed the .25 a bit and must say i liked the fact that you
now can easily select albums which i consider a huge improvement.
Navigating the music tree is still a pain though with a remote, but I
have ordered a keyboard/remote device to see if that works a bit
better with mythmusic.

But for the alternatives, there used to be a squeezebox plugin for
mythtv, the current squeezebox looks a bit more like mythmusic did
before.
i would love to see that plugin revived although I admit it would be
for the internet radio bit in stead of the mp3 bit.
Here's a few links
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/MythTV_plugin
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Unofficial_Plugins

Cheers
Rob

george.galt at gmail

Re: Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one? [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 6:09 AM, Rob Verduijn <rob.verduijn [at] gmail> wrote:
> 2012/4/22 Gavin Whitehead <gavin [at] alabastercranium>:

>>> I'm using XBMC for music and other stuff like iPlayer. I assigned an
>>> unused button on my remote control to kill mythfrontend and start xbmc
>>> and vice versa.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> Thomas
>>
>> Thomas,
>>
>> Could you tell me how you set this up? †It sounds like something I would
>> like to try.
>>
>> Gavin
>
> Hello,
>
> I must say i never really got used to the old .24 mythmusic interface
> the only option i used was random play all and hit next until some
> song that i liked started. But since this was †cumbersome so I rarely
> used mythmusic at all.
> I have browsed the .25 a bit and must say i liked the fact that you
> now can easily select albums which i consider a huge improvement.
> Navigating the music tree is still a pain though with a remote, but I
> have ordered a keyboard/remote device to see if that works a bit
> better with mythmusic.
>
> But for the alternatives, there used to be a squeezebox plugin for
> mythtv, the current squeezebox looks a bit more like mythmusic did
> before.
> i would love to see that plugin revived although I admit it would be
> for the internet radio bit in stead of the mp3 bit.
> Here's a few links
> http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/MythTV_plugin
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Unofficial_Plugins
>
> Cheers
> Rob

Rob:

I wrote the original MythSqueezebox plugin. It is based on the
squeezeslave client found here:
https://code.google.com/p/squeezeslave/ That client does not
implement the streaming radio that you get with later versions of the
squeezebox players and is basically akin to the original SliMP3
player.

I've let the MythSqueezebox plugin slide for a while, but in response
to a few requests, I'm dusting it off and should have something usable
later this week. The problem is that, as currently configured, it is
just a pretty face on the squeezeslave client. To get streaming radio
and other features of more recent "squeeze" hardware, a new software
client would have to be created.

I've looked into this in the past, but didn't have the time to climb
the learning curve on ffmpeg/portaudio and the other pieces that would
need to be put together to do it. However, this summer, I'd be happy
to work with others who might have a better background with ffmpeg or
other similar tools to implement a new software client that would
handle direct streaming. If there is anyone interested in digging
into a new writing a new software client for the squeezebox server,
let me know.

George