Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Can you update to .25 remotely (VNC or SSH)

dheianevans at gmail

Can you update to .25 remotely (VNC or SSH)

Asked this in another thread but that one veered off into a discussion
of repos. Thought I'd ask it again, because I'm sure there's a lot of
people whose Myth boxes might not be easily placed for upgrading.
So...

The keyboard/mouse for my combined fe/be is kinda awkward to use since
it's up on a shelf. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do the upgrade
either with VNC or ssh'ing into the Mythbuntu box?

moores.martin at gmail

Re: Can you update to .25 remotely (VNC or SSH) [In reply to]

On Apr 13, 2012 8:28 AM, "Ian Evans" <dheianevans [at] gmail> wrote:

> Asked this in another thread but that one veered off into a discussion
> of repos. Thought I'd ask it again, because I'm sure there's a lot of
> people whose Myth boxes might not be easily placed for upgrading.
> So...
>
> The keyboard/mouse for my combined fe/be is kinda awkward to use since
> it's up on a shelf. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do the upgrade
> either with VNC or ssh'ing into the Mythbuntu box?

I did mine over VNC, didn't have an issue. When doing Ubuntu upgrades
however, VNC cut off and couldn't re connect, (could still SSH) until I
rebooted.

So yes, you should be fine

Martin

nick.rout at gmail

Re: Can you update to .25 remotely (VNC or SSH) [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans [at] gmail> wrote:
> Asked this in another thread but that one veered off into a discussion
> of repos. Thought I'd ask it again, because I'm sure there's a lot of
> people whose Myth boxes might not be easily placed for upgrading.
> So...
>
> The keyboard/mouse for my combined fe/be is kinda awkward to use since
> it's up on a shelf. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do the upgrade
> either with VNC or ssh'ing into the Mythbuntu box?

No reason not to.

To reiterate (and assuming you are running mythbuntu-repos anyway)

back up database ( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore )

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythbuntu-repos (choose 0.25)

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

reboot

mail at olenissen

Re: Can you update to .25 remotely (VNC or SSH) [In reply to]

Hi,

No problem, im doing that all the time. In case you acturally need the
graphical userinterface like synaptics, then remeber to forward X. like

ssh -X 'username'@'servername/ip'

When logged on to the computer, simply:
sudo synaptics

or whatever graphical program you want. It could also be the mythtv-setup.

Whis way you dont need a mouse or keyboard attached to your backend. This
is at least how im doing it.

Regards
Ole

Re: Can you update to .25 remotely (VNC or SSH) [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:33 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
> No reason not to.
> To reiterate (and assuming you are running mythbuntu-repos anyway)
> back up database ( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore )
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythbuntu-repos (choose 0.25)
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> reboot

Nick, gotta thank you for just listing the instructions in the most
concise way possible. What sort of timing are we looking at? I only
ask because the missus is studying for an exam and I'm up late. If
it's a 5-10 minute thing, I might be tempted to upgrade now.

I'm assuming we go into mythtv-setup afterwards to check for any new
things, etc?

nick.rout at gmail

Re: Can you update to .25 remotely (VNC or SSH) [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:33 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
>> No reason not to.
>> To reiterate (and assuming you are running mythbuntu-repos anyway)
>> back up database ( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore )
>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythbuntu-repos (choose 0.25)
>> sudo apt-get update
>> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>> reboot
>
> Nick, gotta thank you for just listing the instructions in the most
> concise way possible. What sort of timing are we looking at? I only
> ask because the missus is studying for an exam and I'm up late. If
> it's a 5-10 minute thing, I might be tempted to upgrade now.
>
> I'm assuming we go into mythtv-setup afterwards to check for any new
> things, etc?

Timing will largely depend on how long your downloads take.

I should also probably say that you might be better to stop the backend first,

sudo service mythtv-backend stop (obviously you want to do this when
there is nothing important recording or about to record)

Once you have done the upgrade, you can start the backend service
again, and the database will be upgraded - I am not sure how long you
should expect this to take, depends on your dB size obviously. The
important thing is NOT to interrupt it, eg by deciding to stop it and
start the mythtv-setup program. This will leave you with a half
upgraded dB which is *bad*. Keep an eye on the backend log, which is
still at /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log, to make sure the upgrade of
the dB finishes.

AFAIK there is no need to change anything in mythtv-setup.

dheianevans at gmail

Re: Can you update to .25 remotely (VNC or SSH) [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 4:47 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
> Timing will largely depend on how long your downloads take.
>
> I should also probably say that you might be better to stop the backend first,
>
> sudo service mythtv-backend stop (obviously you want to do this when
> there is nothing important recording or about to record)
[snip]

Thanks again for your concise instructions. I appreciate it.