Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Date format in 0.25 'Watch Recordings' screen

J.Pilk at tesco

Date format in 0.25 'Watch Recordings' screen

Hi: I usually have the date format set so that I get a direct
indication of a recording's filename ( ie Thurs 2012-04-12) but in 0.25
MythCenter_Wide this now shows as the 'friendly' translation to 'Today',
without the date. Is there a way to override this?

I'm still learning my way around, but generally 0.25 seems to have been
well polished. Many thanks.

John P

stichnot at gmail

Re: Date format in 0.25 'Watch Recordings' screen [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk [at] tesco> wrote:
> Hi:  I usually have the date format set so that I get a direct indication of
> a recording's filename ( ie Thurs 2012-04-12) but in 0.25 MythCenter_Wide
> this now shows as the 'friendly' translation to 'Today', without the date.
>  Is there a way to override this?

This is controlled by adding the kSimplified option to the calls in
ProgramInfo::ToMap(). There's no option to configure its use. If you
poke around in that function, you might find strings that are
formatted closer to your needs, and change your theme to use them, but
I'm not sure there are any that you'll like.

Jim

newbury at mandamus

Re: Date format in 0.25 'Watch Recordings' screen [In reply to]

On 04/12/2012 07:18 PM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM, John Pilkington<J.Pilk [at] tesco> wrote:
>> Hi: I usually have the date format set so that I get a direct indication of
>> a recording's filename ( ie Thurs 2012-04-12) but in 0.25 MythCenter_Wide
>> this now shows as the 'friendly' translation to 'Today', without the date.
>> Is there a way to override this?
>
> This is controlled by adding the kSimplified option to the calls in
> ProgramInfo::ToMap(). There's no option to configure its use. If you
> poke around in that function, you might find strings that are
> formatted closer to your needs, and change your theme to use them, but
> I'm not sure there are any that you'll like.
>
> Jim

Can you point me to where these calls are? I did a grep for Program and
Map in the mythtv source and in the themes and bindings and came up empty.

Personally, I'd like to see dates too. Maybe these conversions can be
turned off with a judicious patch?

--
R. Geoffrey Newbury

stichnot at gmail

Re: Date format in 0.25 'Watch Recordings' screen [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury [at] mandamus> wrote:
> On 04/12/2012 07:18 PM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM, John Pilkington<J.Pilk [at] tesco>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi:  I usually have the date format set so that I get a direct indication
>>> of
>>> a recording's filename ( ie Thurs 2012-04-12) but in 0.25 MythCenter_Wide
>>> this now shows as the 'friendly' translation to 'Today', without the
>>> date.
>>>  Is there a way to override this?
>>

>> This is controlled by adding the kSimplified option to the calls in
>> ProgramInfo::ToMap().  There's no option to configure its use.  If you
>> poke around in that function, you might find strings that are
>> formatted closer to your needs, and change your theme to use them, but
>> I'm not sure there are any that you'll like.
>>
>> Jim
>

> Can you point me to where these calls are? I did a grep for Program and Map
> in the mythtv source and in the themes and bindings and came up empty.
>
> Personally, I'd like to see dates too. Maybe these conversions can be turned
> off with a judicious patch?

http://code.mythtv.org/trac/browser/mythtv/mythtv/libs/libmyth/programinfo.cpp

Look for the method ProgramInfo::ToMap, and the use of kSimplify for
various date strings.

Jim

newbury at mandamus

Re: Date format in 0.25 'Watch Recordings' screen [In reply to]

On 04/12/2012 09:52 PM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM, R. G. Newbury<newbury [at] mandamus> wrote:
>> Can you point me to where these calls are? I did a grep for Program and Map
>> in the mythtv source and in the themes and bindings and came up empty.
>>
>> Personally, I'd like to see dates too. Maybe these conversions can be turned
>> off with a judicious patch?
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/browser/mythtv/mythtv/libs/libmyth/programinfo.cpp
>
> Look for the method ProgramInfo::ToMap, and the use of kSimplify for
> various date strings.

Thanks!

I have only had a chance for a *very* cursory look at the code. But it
looks to me that removing the '| kSimplify' sections on various lines in
the 'else' block at line 1407 and the lines from 1427 to 1453 would
leave the mapped variables in their 'normal' form.
Thoughts? (Before I blow up the install!!)

Geoff

--
R. Geoffrey Newbury

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Date format in 0.25 'Watch Recordings' screen [In reply to]

On 04/12/2012 02:15 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> Hi: I usually have the date format set so that I get a direct
> indication of a recording's filename ( ie Thurs 2012-04-12) but in
> 0.25 MythCenter_Wide this now shows as the 'friendly' translation to
> 'Today', without the date. Is there a way to override this?

Out of curiosity, why do you need to know the file name?

If you're using MythTV recording files outside of MythTV (i.e. for
playback on another player/device), you should be using something like
mythlink.pl to create human-readable links to the machine-readable file
names. Or, if you really need to know on a case-by-case basis, you can
use the INFO key (or DETAILS) to see the details.

And, in general, if you only use the recording with MythTV, the filename
is irrelevant--since all file management should be done by/within MythTV
itself.

Mike

J.Pilk at tesco

Re: Date format in 0.25 'Watch Recordings' screen [In reply to]

On 13/04/12 19:50, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/12/2012 02:15 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> Hi: I usually have the date format set so that I get a direct
>> indication of a recording's filename ( ie Thurs 2012-04-12) but in
>> 0.25 MythCenter_Wide this now shows as the 'friendly' translation to
>> 'Today', without the date. Is there a way to override this?
>
> Out of curiosity, why do you need to know the file name?

Usually because I'm setting up a run of mythcutprojectx or other jobs
such as resetting file size, rebuilding seektables etc, perhaps after
concatenating recordings. I have just never got around to experiments
with running these as user jobs. Foreground work comes naturally after
manual editing and lets me catch problems early. The keyboard history
usually cuts the keystroke count. So it's as below. I use mythlink.pl
output sorted by filesize too, to help in DVD authoring.

> If you're using MythTV recording files outside of MythTV (i.e. for
> playback on another player/device), you should be using something like
> mythlink.pl to create human-readable links to the machine-readable file
> names. Or, if you really need to know on a case-by-case basis, you can
> use the INFO key (or DETAILS) to see the details.

True. And if a recording has been imported from another box I sometimes
change the chanid and the main display becomes confusing.

I guess I treat MythTV less like an appliance than do most users - and I
don't currently have my screen set up to remind me of today's date.

But I still feel that if I set up a date format I might expect it to be
used :-)

> And, in general, if you only use the recording with MythTV, the filename
> is irrelevant--since all file management should be done by/within MythTV
> itself.
>
> Mike

newbury at mandamus

Re: Date format in 0.25 'Watch Recordings' screen [In reply to]

On 04/13/2012 02:50 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/12/2012 02:15 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> Hi: I usually have the date format set so that I get a direct
>> indication of a recording's filename ( ie Thurs 2012-04-12) but in
>> 0.25 MythCenter_Wide this now shows as the 'friendly' translation to
>> 'Today', without the date. Is there a way to override this?
>
> Out of curiosity, why do you need to know the file name?
>
> If you're using MythTV recording files outside of MythTV (i.e. for
> playback on another player/device), you should be using something like
> mythlink.pl to create human-readable links to the machine-readable file
> names. Or, if you really need to know on a case-by-case basis, you can
> use the INFO key (or DETAILS) to see the details.
>
> And, in general, if you only use the recording with MythTV, the filename
> is irrelevant--since all file management should be done by/within MythTV
> itself.

The filename is not actually visible when you are inside myth. I like to
use the starttime and chanid to find a file in the video list, when I am
copying files to a thumbdrive or whatever, to move to the box at work.
It's irritating and distracting when the OS and myth *know* the real
filename but some nanny has decided that it would be 'cuter' or
something to change that...and NOT make it a selectable option. Not nice.

Geoff

jyavenard at gmail

Re: Date format in 0.25 'Watch Recordings' screen [In reply to]

On 14 April 2012 12:14, R. G. Newbury <newbury [at] mandamus> wrote:
> The filename is not actually visible when you are inside myth. I like to use
> the starttime and chanid to find a file in the video list, when I am copying
> files to a thumbdrive or whatever, to move to the box at work. It's
> irritating and distracting when the OS and myth *know* the real filename but
> some nanny has decided that it would be 'cuter' or something to change
> that...and NOT make it a selectable option. Not nice.

that information is available within myth. Just start playback, Menu
-> Playback -> Playback Data
it will show the filename on the first line

J.Pilk at tesco

Re: Date format in 0.25 'Watch Recordings' screen [In reply to]

On 14/04/12 04:59, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 14 April 2012 12:14, R. G. Newbury<newbury [at] mandamus> wrote:
>> The filename is not actually visible when you are inside myth. I like to use
>> the starttime and chanid to find a file in the video list, when I am copying
>> files to a thumbdrive or whatever, to move to the box at work. It's
>> irritating and distracting when the OS and myth *know* the real filename but
>> some nanny has decided that it would be 'cuter' or something to change
>> that...and NOT make it a selectable option. Not nice.
>
> that information is available within myth. Just start playback, Menu
> -> Playback -> Playback Data
> it will show the filename on the first line

And from a terminal Mike's comment about using mythlink.pl was a good
one. File manager 'Properties' (KDE) then shows the full path as well
as the readable title. But still...

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Date format in 0.25 'Watch Recordings' screen [In reply to]

On 04/13/2012 10:14 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 04/13/2012 02:50 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 04/12/2012 02:15 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>>> Hi: I usually have the date format set so that I get a direct
>>> indication of a recording's filename ( ie Thurs 2012-04-12) but in
>>> 0.25 MythCenter_Wide this now shows as the 'friendly' translation to
>>> 'Today', without the date. Is there a way to override this?
>>
>> Out of curiosity, why do you need to know the file name?
>>
>> If you're using MythTV recording files outside of MythTV (i.e. for
>> playback on another player/device), you should be using something like
>> mythlink.pl to create human-readable links to the machine-readable file
>> names. Or, if you really need to know on a case-by-case basis, you can
>> use the INFO key (or DETAILS) to see the details.
>>
>> And, in general, if you only use the recording with MythTV, the filename
>> is irrelevant--since all file management should be done by/within MythTV
>> itself.
>
> The filename is not actually visible when you are inside myth.

Ummm... INFO (once or twice--not sure which page it's on) and scroll
down. That's what I was saying, above--it /is/ actually visible when
you are inside MythTV.

> I like to use the starttime and chanid to find a file in the video
> list, when I am copying files to a thumbdrive or whatever, to move to
> the box at work. It's irritating and distracting when the OS and myth
> *know* the real filename but some nanny has decided that it would be
> 'cuter' or something to change that...and NOT make it a selectable
> option. Not nice.

Yeah, but isn't it easier to just copy using the nice, pretty names that
mythlink.pl makes available?

The point was that the user was trying to guess the file name based on
channel number and start time. I gave him a couple options for ways to
actually see the file name or to create a pretty view of human-readable
names that act as replacements for the MythTV-centric, ugly, internal
file names.

So, I'm not saying we should hide it--I'm actually telling him how to
find it.

Mike

J.Pilk at tesco

Re: Date format in 0.25 'Watch Recordings' screen [In reply to]

On 14/04/12 17:03, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/13/2012 10:14 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>>
>>> Out of curiosity, why do you need to know the file name?
>>>
>>> If you're using MythTV recording files outside of MythTV (i.e. for
>>> playback on another player/device), you should be using something like
>>> mythlink.pl to create human-readable links to the machine-readable file
>>> names. Or, if you really need to know on a case-by-case basis, you can
>>> use the INFO key (or DETAILS) to see the details.
>>>
>>> And, in general, if you only use the recording with MythTV, the filename
>>> is irrelevant--since all file management should be done by/within MythTV
>>> itself.
>>
>> The filename is not actually visible when you are inside myth.
>
> Ummm... INFO (once or twice--not sure which page it's on) and scroll
> down. That's what I was saying, above--it /is/ actually visible when you
> are inside MythTV.
>
>> I like to use the starttime and chanid to find a file in the video
>> list, when I am copying files to a thumbdrive or whatever, to move to
>> the box at work. It's irritating and distracting when the OS and myth
>> *know* the real filename but some nanny has decided that it would be
>> 'cuter' or something to change that...and NOT make it a selectable
>> option. Not nice.
>
> Yeah, but isn't it easier to just copy using the nice, pretty names that
> mythlink.pl makes available?
>
> The point was that the user was trying to guess the file name based on
> channel number and start time. I gave him a couple options for ways to
> actually see the file name or to create a pretty view of human-readable
> names that act as replacements for the MythTV-centric, ugly, internal
> file names.
>
> So, I'm not saying we should hide it--I'm actually telling him how to
> find it.
>
> Mike

I have another perhaps 0.25-related query about date/time formats that I
may as well put here. In a bash script I query the database to get
starttime. If I echo this I see YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS. I haven't had
problems using $starttime before but now mythcommflag fails with it.
With HD I can't use the mythtranscode --mpeg2 alternative. How do I get
the YYYMMDDHHMMSS00 format that it seems to want?

And FWIW the Myth screen does show today's date; I just have it covered
by Konsole when I need it :-)

John P

mythtv-users at lists

Re: Date format in 0.25 'Watch Recordings' screen [In reply to]

John Pilkington wrote:
> I have another perhaps 0.25-related query about date/time formats that I
> may as well put here. In a bash script I query the database to get
> starttime. If I echo this I see YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS. I haven't had
> problems using $starttime before but now mythcommflag fails with it.

I just had the same problem with a similar thing in a script today. Just
pipe it through sed like "echo $starttime|sed 's/[-\ :]//g'

HTH
Thomas

J.Pilk at tesco

Re: Date format in 0.25 'Watch Recordings' screen [In reply to]

On 14/04/12 19:09, Thomas Boehm wrote:
> John Pilkington wrote:
>> I have another perhaps 0.25-related query about date/time formats that I
>> may as well put here. In a bash script I query the database to get
>> starttime. If I echo this I see YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS. I haven't had
>> problems using $starttime before but now mythcommflag fails with it.
>
> I just had the same problem with a similar thing in a script today. Just
> pipe it through sed like "echo $starttime|sed 's/[-\ :]//g'
>
> HTH
> Thomas

Thanks for that: I had just worked round it by using the --file option
instead. Mythutil seems happy with the time format but mythcommflag bombed.

John