Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings

 

 

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


rjmorris at nc

Apr 14, 2012, 5:52 AM

Post #26 of 44 (2152 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

Dave Brown <davebrown099 [at] gmail> wrote on Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 12:42:10PM +0100:
> I prefer to use LIRC but having some problems as there are two remote
> sensors (one is on a usb tuner card) The rc0 uses lirc0 and in my
> hardware.conf is set to REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0".
> They switch about on cold reboot stopping the remote from working. Is
> there anyway to get the mce to stay against rc0? I have tried setting both
> rc0 and rc1 to use LIRC but that makes not difference.

The discussion here might give you some pointers:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/498731
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


lunchtimelarry at gmail

Apr 14, 2012, 8:39 AM

Post #27 of 44 (2147 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Christian Szpilfogel <chriszpml [at] gmail>wrote:
>
>> On 05/04/2012 10:25 PM, Larry K wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any reference or resource that exists to provide accurate,
>>> up-to-date guidance on setting up IR in myth? Is LIRC really on the way
>>> out? Some have said uninstall it and never look back. Is v4l the best
>>> path forward? And if so, how the keystrokes are mapped into myth?
>>> xorg.conf, perhaps? Do the basic devinput names convey into myth
>>> automatically? Did I miss the memo on all this?
>>>
>>>
>> Hi Larry,
>>
>> In general this depends on the drivers available and whether you need
>> special functions from LIRC. Not all drivers have been ported to become
>> in-kernel but the more popular ones seem to have been ported. To some
>> degree this also dictates whether you use devinput or /dev/lirc?. You can
>> check your driver to see which it takes.
>>
>> If you don't need functions such as irexec or irxevent then you don't
>> need to use LIRC anymore. I use irexec myself so I can shutdown myth from
>> my remote.
>>
>> I wrote a description of how all this hangs together. It is written in
>> the context of LinHES so while most of this holds true, some aspects such
>> as initialization files, may not be done the same as in your distro. This
>> wiki entry also describes various test points you can use to help you debug
>> the messaging as it goes through the layers.
>>
>> http://linhes.org/projects/**linhes/wiki/Architecture_and_**Customization<http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/Architecture_and_Customization>
>>
>> To be honest, I have not been involved nor have I followed most of this
>> IR development so this wiki entry is based on what I have determined in my
>> own quest to get things working. I just figured I would document it for the
>> benefit of others who I saw struggling. If more knowledgeable folks have
>> suggestions then feel free to let me know. I suppose I should link this
>> into the myth wiki in hind sight.
>>
>> Hope this helps point you in the right direction.
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> ______________________________**_________________
>> mythtv-users mailing list
>> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
>> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/**listinfo/mythtv-users<http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users>
>>
>
> Very helpful diagram.
>
> What I am seeing is that with my MCE remote, with the LIRC service
> stopped, and with v4l-utils NOT installed, MythTV is partially responsive
> to the keystrokes of my remote. Some keys work, and others do not. For
> instance, the OK button does not work. Per your diagram, is this
> interaction happening through a keyboard driver? If so, it appears that I
> would control the key mappings to myth via the key bindings menu? I have
> no experience messing with hose key bindings, but maybe now is the time to
> start.
>
> With LIRC, I know that ~/.mythtv/lircrc is where I control the key
> mappings. Not knowing exactly how the key mappings is being handled
> outside LIRC is driving me crazy.
>
> Larry
>
> Let me try this again with perhaps a more clear, direct question:

In the absence of lirc, how can I tell what keystrokes are being received
on my MCE USB IR receiver? For lirc, I use irw to determine this.

Once I know what keystrokes are being received, again, in the absence of
lirc, how do these get mapped to commands that myth understands? For lirc,
I set this up the ~/.mythtv/lircrc file.

Hope that helps clarify my question.

Larry


dheianevans at gmail

Apr 14, 2012, 8:59 AM

Post #28 of 44 (2141 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry [at] gmail> wrote:
> Let me try this again with perhaps a more clear, direct question:
> In the absence of lirc, how can I tell what keystrokes are being received on
> my MCE USB IR receiver?  For lirc, I use irw to determine this.
> Once I know what keystrokes are being received, again, in the absence of
> lirc, how do these get mapped to commands that myth understands?  For lirc,
> I set this up the ~/.mythtv/lircrc file.

That's exactly where I am now. My coffee-deprived brain just wants to
know what to expect when I reboot the first time after moving to
11.04. Will my remote work at all? Will most commands work except
some? And how do I fix it? unfortunately I've seen so many emails,
blog entries, and the like about different methods that my head is
spinning especially as some go back a few months and things have
changed. Don't want to install a horse and buggy when everyone's gonna
be in a car. :-)
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


davebrown099 at gmail

Apr 14, 2012, 9:36 AM

Post #29 of 44 (2142 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

> What I do in MiniMyth is use udev to create device symbolic links from the
> hardware's characteristics (e.g., vendor id, product id, serial number).
> Once this is done, device can be referred to by the symbolic link, which
> does not change as it is constructed from the hardware's characteristics.
> For example, newer versions of udev contain a rules script
> (60-persistent-input.rules) that does this for input devices.
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/**listinfo/mythtv-users<http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users>
>

Hi Paul

Ive tried this using udev and have it matched to the remote. I had set it
to REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/input/remote" in hardware.conf. However, I dont get
any output from the remote using irw.

What im having after each boot is change the remote device to /dev/lirc0 or
/dev/lirc1 depending on where the remote is placed agains
either /sys/class/rc/rc0/ or /sys/class/rc/rc1/

I cant find anywhere to point /sys/class/rc/rc0/ to /dev/input/remote


pebender at san

Apr 14, 2012, 10:27 AM

Post #30 of 44 (2144 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

On 4/14/2012 8:39 AM, Larry K wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry [at] gmail
> <mailto:lunchtimelarry [at] gmail>> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Christian Szpilfogel
> <chriszpml [at] gmail <mailto:chriszpml [at] gmail>> wrote:
>
> On 05/04/2012 10:25 PM, Larry K wrote:
>
> Is there any reference or resource that exists to provide
> accurate, up-to-date guidance on setting up IR in myth? Is
> LIRC really on the way out? Some have said uninstall it and
> never look back. Is v4l the best path forward? And if so,
> how the keystrokes are mapped into myth? xorg.conf,
> perhaps? Do the basic devinput names convey into myth
> automatically? Did I miss the memo on all this?
>
>
> Hi Larry,
>
> In general this depends on the drivers available and whether you
> need special functions from LIRC. Not all drivers have been
> ported to become in-kernel but the more popular ones seem to
> have been ported. To some degree this also dictates whether you
> use devinput or /dev/lirc?. You can check your driver to see
> which it takes.
>
> If you don't need functions such as irexec or irxevent then you
> don't need to use LIRC anymore. I use irexec myself so I can
> shutdown myth from my remote.
>
> I wrote a description of how all this hangs together. It is
> written in the context of LinHES so while most of this holds
> true, some aspects such as initialization files, may not be done
> the same as in your distro. This wiki entry also describes
> various test points you can use to help you debug the messaging
> as it goes through the layers.
>
> http://linhes.org/projects/__linhes/wiki/Architecture_and___Customization
> <http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/Architecture_and_Customization>
>
> To be honest, I have not been involved nor have I followed most
> of this IR development so this wiki entry is based on what I
> have determined in my own quest to get things working. I just
> figured I would document it for the benefit of others who I saw
> struggling. If more knowledgeable folks have suggestions then
> feel free to let me know. I suppose I should link this into the
> myth wiki in hind sight.
>
> Hope this helps point you in the right direction.
>
> Christian
>
> _________________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv <mailto:mythtv-users [at] mythtv>
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/__listinfo/mythtv-users
> <http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users>
>
>
> Very helpful diagram.
>
> What I am seeing is that with my MCE remote, with the LIRC service
> stopped, and with v4l-utils NOT installed, MythTV is partially
> responsive to the keystrokes of my remote. Some keys work, and
> others do not. For instance, the OK button does not work. Per
> your diagram, is this interaction happening through a keyboard
> driver? If so, it appears that I would control the key mappings to
> myth via the key bindings menu? I have no experience messing with
> hose key bindings, but maybe now is the time to start.
>
> With LIRC, I know that ~/.mythtv/lircrc is where I control the key
> mappings. Not knowing exactly how the key mappings is being handled
> outside LIRC is driving me crazy.
>
> Larry
>
> Let me try this again with perhaps a more clear, direct question:
>
> In the absence of lirc, how can I tell what keystrokes are being
> received on my MCE USB IR receiver? For lirc, I use irw to determine this.
>
> Once I know what keystrokes are being received, again, in the absence of
> lirc, how do these get mapped to commands that myth understands? For
> lirc, I set this up the ~/.mythtv/lircrc file.
>
> Hope that helps clarify my question.
>
> Larry

You might try the utility evtest
<http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~whot/evtest/>. That is what I have used in
the passed.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


pebender at san

Apr 14, 2012, 11:00 AM

Post #31 of 44 (2145 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

On 4/14/2012 9:36 AM, Dave Brown wrote:
>
>
>
> What I do in MiniMyth is use udev to create device symbolic links
> from the hardware's characteristics (e.g., vendor id, product id,
> serial number). Once this is done, device can be referred to by the
> symbolic link, which does not change as it is constructed from the
> hardware's characteristics. For example, newer versions of udev
> contain a rules script (60-persistent-input.rules) that does this
> for input devices.
>
> _________________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv <mailto:mythtv-users [at] mythtv>
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/__listinfo/mythtv-users
> <http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users>
>
>
> Hi Paul
>
> Ive tried this using udev and have it matched to the remote. I had set
> it to REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/input/remote" in hardware.conf. However, I
> dont get any output from the remote using irw.
>
> What im having after each boot is change the remote device to /dev/lirc0
> or /dev/lirc1 depending on where the remote is placed agains
> either /sys/class/rc/rc0/ or /sys/class/rc/rc1/
>
> I cant find anywhere to point /sys/class/rc/rc0/ to /dev/input/remote

The /dev/input devices created by udev are input devices not lirc
devices. What I did for MiniMyth was to create my own udev script that
created persistent device symbolic links for lirc devices.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


dheianevans at gmail

Apr 15, 2012, 2:14 AM

Post #32 of 44 (2131 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

Don't know if I'm missing something here, but I upgraded to 11.04
tonight and my mceusb remote seems to be working fine. Perhaps I had
it configured weirdly this whole time?
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


davebrown099 at gmail

Apr 15, 2012, 3:36 AM

Post #33 of 44 (2131 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Paul Bender <pebender [at] san> wrote:

> On 4/14/2012 9:36 AM, Dave Brown wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>
>> What I do in MiniMyth is use udev to create device symbolic links
>> from the hardware's characteristics (e.g., vendor id, product id,
>> serial number). Once this is done, device can be referred to by the
>> symbolic link, which does not change as it is constructed from the
>> hardware's characteristics. For example, newer versions of udev
>> contain a rules script (60-persistent-input.rules) that does this
>> for input devices.
>>
>> ______________________________**___________________
>> mythtv-users mailing list
>> mythtv-users [at] mythtv <mailto:mythtv-users [at] mythtv**org<mythtv-users [at] mythtv>
>> >
>> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/**__listinfo/mythtv-users<http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/__listinfo/mythtv-users>
>> <http://www.mythtv.org/**mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users<http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users>
>> >
>>
>>
>> Hi Paul
>>
>> Ive tried this using udev and have it matched to the remote. I had set
>> it to REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/input/**remote" in hardware.conf. However, I
>> dont get any output from the remote using irw.
>>
>> What im having after each boot is change the remote device to /dev/lirc0
>> or /dev/lirc1 depending on where the remote is placed agains
>> either /sys/class/rc/rc0/ or /sys/class/rc/rc1/
>>
>> I cant find anywhere to point /sys/class/rc/rc0/ to /dev/input/remote
>>
>
> The /dev/input devices created by udev are input devices not lirc devices.
> What I did for MiniMyth was to create my own udev script that created
> persistent device symbolic links for lirc devices.
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/**listinfo/mythtv-users<http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users>
>

Cheers Paul, ive had a read up on udev and ive got this working now


eric at lisaneric

Apr 16, 2012, 6:07 AM

Post #34 of 44 (2132 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry [at] gmail> wrote:
> In the absence of lirc, how can I tell what keystrokes are being received on
> my MCE USB IR receiver?  For lirc, I use irw to determine this.

Use ir-keytable -t in place of irw.

Eric
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


lunchtimelarry at gmail

Apr 17, 2012, 1:45 PM

Post #35 of 44 (2137 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry [at] gmail>
> wrote:
> > In the absence of lirc, how can I tell what keystrokes are being
> received on
> > my MCE USB IR receiver? For lirc, I use irw to determine this.
>
> Use ir-keytable -t in place of irw.
>

Fair enough. So then, if ir-keytable indicates that Key_xyx was received,
how do I map that to a particular myth command?


>
> Eric
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>


eric at lisaneric

Apr 17, 2012, 2:00 PM

Post #36 of 44 (2133 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry [at] gmail>
>> wrote:
>> > In the absence of lirc, how can I tell what keystrokes are being
>> > received on
>> > my MCE USB IR receiver?  For lirc, I use irw to determine this.
>>
>> Use ir-keytable -t in place of irw.
>
>
> Fair enough.  So then, if ir-keytable indicates that Key_xyx was received,
> how do I map that to a particular myth command?

The same way you configure your keyboard. You go into "edit keys" in
mythtv setup, find the myth command you want, then push the button on
your remote to establish the mapping.

Eric
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


lunchtimelarry at gmail

Apr 17, 2012, 4:36 PM

Post #37 of 44 (2114 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry [at] gmail> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry [at] gmail>
> >> wrote:
> >> > In the absence of lirc, how can I tell what keystrokes are being
> >> > received on
> >> > my MCE USB IR receiver? For lirc, I use irw to determine this.
> >>
> >> Use ir-keytable -t in place of irw.
> >
> >
> > Fair enough. So then, if ir-keytable indicates that Key_xyx was
> received,
> > how do I map that to a particular myth command?
>
> The same way you configure your keyboard. You go into "edit keys" in
> mythtv setup, find the myth command you want, then push the button on
> your remote to establish the mapping.
>

OK. Since I've always used LIRC to control myth (I think I started with
0.18), I have never had occasion to fool around with editing keys in this
manner. Good to know.


>
> Eric
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>


lunchtimelarry at gmail

Apr 17, 2012, 6:10 PM

Post #38 of 44 (2139 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry [at] gmail> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry [at] gmail>
> >> wrote:
> >> > In the absence of lirc, how can I tell what keystrokes are being
> >> > received on
> >> > my MCE USB IR receiver? For lirc, I use irw to determine this.
> >>
> >> Use ir-keytable -t in place of irw.
> >
> >
> > Fair enough. So then, if ir-keytable indicates that Key_xyx was
> received,
> > how do I map that to a particular myth command?
>
> The same way you configure your keyboard. You go into "edit keys" in
> mythtv setup, find the myth command you want, then push the button on
> your remote to establish the mapping.
>

OK, I played around a bit with the edit keys menu. What I'm seeing is
that, even though I have keys that are recognized by ir-keytable -t, many
of them are not recognized by the mythtv edit keys menu when I push the
remote button to program the mapping. Some work, but many do not. What is
the path forward for keys that are apparently unrecognized?


> Eric
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>


nick.rout at gmail

Apr 18, 2012, 1:42 AM

Post #39 of 44 (2113 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

On the remotes theme, this article caught my eye today:

http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2012/04/15/flirc-a-new-old-way-to-control-xbmc/

(No I am not associated with the author or the product, nor do I
benefit from sales, but some charity seems to )
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


eric at lisaneric

Apr 18, 2012, 8:31 AM

Post #40 of 44 (2106 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry [at] gmail> wrote:
> OK, I played around a bit with the edit keys menu.  What I'm seeing is that,
> even though I have keys that are recognized by ir-keytable -t, many of them
> are not recognized by the mythtv edit keys menu when I push the remote
> button to program the mapping.  Some work, but many do not.  What is the
> path forward for keys that are apparently unrecognized?

It's a fundamental problem with X. X.org currently has no way to
handle multi-byte key codes (anything larger than 255) but the
standard key tables shipped with ir-keytable use exactly such codes.
They work on the console, but not in X.

What I do is load a nonstandard remote keytable. In
/etc/init.d/rc.local I have:

logger "Setting IR Keymap..."
/usr/bin/ir-keytable -c -p RC-5,RC-6 -w /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce

And in /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce I have:
mythtered% cat /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce
# table rc6_mce, type: RC-6
0x800f0400 KEY_KP0
0x800f0401 KEY_KP1
0x800f0402 KEY_KP2
0x800f0403 KEY_KP3
0x800f0404 KEY_KP4
0x800f0405 KEY_KP5
0x800f0406 KEY_KP6
0x800f0407 KEY_KP7
0x800f0408 KEY_KP8
0x800f0409 KEY_KP9
0x800f040a KEY_DELETE
0x800f040b KEY_ENTER
0x800f040c KEY_KPSLASH # Power
0x800f040d KEY_M # Left Meta, Start
0x800f040e KEY_MUTE
0x800f040f KEY_I # Info
0x800f0410 KEY_PAGEUP # Volume Up
0x800f0411 KEY_PAGEDOWN # Volume Down
0x800f0412 KEY_CHANNELUP
0x800f0413 KEY_CHANNELDOWN
0x800f0414 KEY_Z # Fast forward
0x800f0415 KEY_R # Rewind
0x800f0416 KEY_PLAY
0x800f0417 KEY_RECORD
0x800f0418 KEY_PAUSE
0x800f046e KEY_PLAYPAUSE
0x800f0419 KEY_STOP
0x800f041a KEY_NEXTSONG # Skip Next
0x800f041b KEY_PREVIOUSSONG # Skip Previous
0x800f041c KEY_NUMERIC_POUND
0x800f041d KEY_NUMERIC_STAR
0x800f041e KEY_UP
0x800f041f KEY_DOWN
0x800f0420 KEY_LEFT
0x800f0421 KEY_RIGHT
0x800f0422 KEY_ENTER # Ok
0x800f0423 KEY_ESC # Back / Exit
0x800f0424 KEY_DVD
0x800f0425 KEY_TUNER
0x800f0426 KEY_G
0x800f0427 KEY_W
0x800f043a KEY_BRIGHTNESSUP
0x800f0446 KEY_TV
0x800f0447 KEY_AUDIO
0x800f0448 KEY_PVR
0x800f0449 KEY_CAMERA
0x800f044a KEY_VIDEO
0x800f044c KEY_LANGUAGE
0x800f044d KEY_T
0x800f044e KEY_PRINT
0x800f0450 KEY_RADIO
0x800f045a KEY_SUBTITLE
0x800f045b KEY_RED
0x800f045c KEY_O # Green
0x800f045d KEY_YELLOW
0x800f045e KEY_Z # Blue
0x800f0465 KEY_POWER2
0x800f046e KEY_PLAYPAUSE
0x800f046f KEY_MEDIA
0x800f0480 KEY_BRIGHTNESSDOWN
0x800f0481 KEY_PLAYPAUSE


This mapping only covers the keys that I use and care about. Some of
the original mappings > 255 are still in there (e.g. KEY_RED) but I
just don't use those. You can customize this table to your liking.

Eric
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


lunchtimelarry at gmail

Apr 21, 2012, 2:01 PM

Post #41 of 44 (2040 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry [at] gmail> wrote:
> > OK, I played around a bit with the edit keys menu. What I'm seeing is
> that,
> > even though I have keys that are recognized by ir-keytable -t, many of
> them
> > are not recognized by the mythtv edit keys menu when I push the remote
> > button to program the mapping. Some work, but many do not. What is the
> > path forward for keys that are apparently unrecognized?
>
> It's a fundamental problem with X. X.org currently has no way to
> handle multi-byte key codes (anything larger than 255) but the
> standard key tables shipped with ir-keytable use exactly such codes.
> They work on the console, but not in X.
>
> What I do is load a nonstandard remote keytable. In
> /etc/init.d/rc.local I have:
>
> logger "Setting IR Keymap..."
> /usr/bin/ir-keytable -c -p RC-5,RC-6 -w /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce
>
> And in /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce I have:
> mythtered% cat /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce
> # table rc6_mce, type: RC-6
> 0x800f0400 KEY_KP0
> 0x800f0401 KEY_KP1
> 0x800f0402 KEY_KP2
> 0x800f0403 KEY_KP3
> 0x800f0404 KEY_KP4
> 0x800f0405 KEY_KP5
> 0x800f0406 KEY_KP6
> 0x800f0407 KEY_KP7
> 0x800f0408 KEY_KP8
> 0x800f0409 KEY_KP9
> 0x800f040a KEY_DELETE
> 0x800f040b KEY_ENTER
> 0x800f040c KEY_KPSLASH # Power
> 0x800f040d KEY_M # Left Meta, Start
> 0x800f040e KEY_MUTE
> 0x800f040f KEY_I # Info
> 0x800f0410 KEY_PAGEUP # Volume Up
> 0x800f0411 KEY_PAGEDOWN # Volume Down
> 0x800f0412 KEY_CHANNELUP
> 0x800f0413 KEY_CHANNELDOWN
> 0x800f0414 KEY_Z # Fast forward
> 0x800f0415 KEY_R # Rewind
> 0x800f0416 KEY_PLAY
> 0x800f0417 KEY_RECORD
> 0x800f0418 KEY_PAUSE
> 0x800f046e KEY_PLAYPAUSE
> 0x800f0419 KEY_STOP
> 0x800f041a KEY_NEXTSONG # Skip Next
> 0x800f041b KEY_PREVIOUSSONG # Skip Previous
> 0x800f041c KEY_NUMERIC_POUND
> 0x800f041d KEY_NUMERIC_STAR
> 0x800f041e KEY_UP
> 0x800f041f KEY_DOWN
> 0x800f0420 KEY_LEFT
> 0x800f0421 KEY_RIGHT
> 0x800f0422 KEY_ENTER # Ok
> 0x800f0423 KEY_ESC # Back / Exit
> 0x800f0424 KEY_DVD
> 0x800f0425 KEY_TUNER
> 0x800f0426 KEY_G
> 0x800f0427 KEY_W
> 0x800f043a KEY_BRIGHTNESSUP
> 0x800f0446 KEY_TV
> 0x800f0447 KEY_AUDIO
> 0x800f0448 KEY_PVR
> 0x800f0449 KEY_CAMERA
> 0x800f044a KEY_VIDEO
> 0x800f044c KEY_LANGUAGE
> 0x800f044d KEY_T
> 0x800f044e KEY_PRINT
> 0x800f0450 KEY_RADIO
> 0x800f045a KEY_SUBTITLE
> 0x800f045b KEY_RED
> 0x800f045c KEY_O # Green
> 0x800f045d KEY_YELLOW
> 0x800f045e KEY_Z # Blue
> 0x800f0465 KEY_POWER2
> 0x800f046e KEY_PLAYPAUSE
> 0x800f046f KEY_MEDIA
> 0x800f0480 KEY_BRIGHTNESSDOWN
> 0x800f0481 KEY_PLAYPAUSE
>
>
> This mapping only covers the keys that I use and care about. Some of
> the original mappings > 255 are still in there (e.g. KEY_RED) but I
> just don't use those. You can customize this table to your liking.
>
> Looks like my MCE remote send mostly multi-byte key codes. Not sure I can
work around that.


> Eric
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>


dizygotheca at ntlworld

Apr 21, 2012, 3:39 PM

Post #42 of 44 (2099 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

On Sat Apr 14 15:59:15 UTC 2012, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com >
wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Let me try this again with perhaps a more clear, direct question:
> > In the absence of lirc, how can I tell what keystrokes are being
> received on
> > my MCE USB IR receiver? For lirc, I use irw to determine this.
> > Once I know what keystrokes are being received, again, in the absence
> of
> > lirc, how do these get mapped to commands that myth understands? For
> lirc,
> > I set this up the ~/.mythtv/lircrc file.

> That's exactly where I am now. My coffee-deprived brain just wants to
> know what to expect when I reboot the first time after moving to
> 11.04. Will my remote work at all? Will most commands work except
> some? And how do I fix it? unfortunately I've seen so many emails,
> blog entries, and the like about different methods that my head is
> spinning especially as some go back a few months and things have
> changed. Don't want to install a horse and buggy when everyone's gonna
> be in a car. :-)

I agree there's too much 'helpful' info out there. Allow me to add my
own....

I set this up last week on Mythbuntu 11.10 and it's actually pretty easy.
This page inspired me to experiment;-

http://wyliecoyoteuk.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/how-to-forget-lirc-for-mythtv-remotes/

Essentially /etc/rc_maps.cfg determines the keytable to load (equivalent
of lircd.conf) and the keytable translates the remote scancodes into
keycodes (equivalent of lircrc).

You'll probably find that /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce already lists all
your scan codes. Otherwise you can determine them using "ir-keyable -t".
If you create a keytable from scratch I gather the first line comment is
important. I simply copied the appropriate one to /etc/rc_keymaps, changed
rc_maps.cfg to pick it up and started hacking. There's no need for udev
rules etc.

The keycode symbols used by the keytables puzzled me for a while but the
full list is defined in /usr/include/linux/input.h. Some keys work out of
the box (for example, numbers, UP/DOWN, VOLUME for me), many don't (OK,
AUDIO, RED etc). I've no idea why; I guess it's a new evolving standard.
Simply edit them to suit your Myth hotkeys, as you would lircrc.

I guess sending modified keycodes (ie. ALT+T) aren't possible because they
lie above the 255 limit mentioned by others. On my remote I only needed 6
hotkeys where the Myth default used a modifier (Home, TV, Video, Music,
Pictures, Status). I also had a problem with Mute. So I just send function
keys and added then as Myth hotkeys via Edit Keys. One of the great things
about Myth is that you can define multiple hotkeys for each function so
adding a new one won't screw anything else up.

When editing your keytable it's not necessary to reboot. Save it, run
"sudo ir-keytable -vc -w <your keytable file>" and test the key in Myth.
It shouldn't take long to do.

I hope that answers your questions and encourages you to have a go.

Here's my keytable for a Hauppuage NovaT 500 (snowboard) remote as an
example. I use every button except Power. The comments describe the remote
button

# table dib0700_rc5, type: RC5
0x1e00 KEY_0
0x1e01 KEY_1
0x1e02 KEY_2
0x1e03 KEY_3
0x1e04 KEY_4
0x1e05 KEY_5
0x1e06 KEY_6
0x1e07 KEY_7
0x1e08 KEY_8
0x1e09 KEY_9
0x1e0a KEY_i # asterisk
0x1e0b KEY_W # red
0x1e0c KEY_F7 # radio
0x1e0d KEY_M # menu
0x1e0e KEY_GRAVE
0x1e0f KEY_F9 # mute
0x1e10 KEY_VOLUMEUP
0x1e11 KEY_VOLUMEDOWN
0x1e12 KEY_H # prev channel
0x1e14 KEY_UP
0x1e15 KEY_DOWN
0x1e16 KEY_LEFT
0x1e17 KEY_RIGHT
0x1e18 KEY_F4 # video
0x1e19 KEY_F5 # music
0x1e1a KEY_F6 # pictures
0x1e1b KEY_S # epg
0x1e1c KEY_F3 # tv
0x1e1e KEY_END # next
0x1e1f KEY_ESC # exit
0x1e20 KEY_CHANNELUP
0x1e21 KEY_CHANNELDOWN
0x1e24 KEY_HOME # last
0x1e25 KEY_ENTER # ok
0x1e29 KEY_U # blue
0x1e2e KEY_K # green
0x1e30 KEY_P # pause
0x1e32 KEY_PAGEUP # rewind
0x1e34 KEY_PAGEDOWN # ffwd
0x1e35 KEY_P # play
0x1e36 KEY_O # stop
0x1e37 KEY_R # record
0x1e38 KEY_J # yellow
0x1e3b KEY_F8 # home
0x1e3d 0 # power


eric at lisaneric

Apr 22, 2012, 6:02 AM

Post #43 of 44 (2028 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry [at] gmail> wrote:
> Looks like my MCE remote send mostly multi-byte key codes.  Not sure I can
> work around that.

No, your MCE remote doesn't directly send keycodes at all. The
default mapping table for MCE remotes uses multibyte keycodes to
translate between the IR signal and keyboard keycodes. If you change
the table, you get a different mapping. Just follow the instructions
in this thread.

Eric
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


lunchtimelarry at gmail

Apr 22, 2012, 5:46 PM

Post #44 of 44 (2017 views)
Permalink
Re: Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Looks like my MCE remote send mostly multi-byte key codes. Not sure I
> can
> > work around that.
>
> No, your MCE remote doesn't directly send keycodes at all. The
> default mapping table for MCE remotes uses multibyte keycodes to
> translate between the IR signal and keyboard keycodes. If you change
> the table, you get a different mapping. Just follow the instructions
> in this thread.
>
> Ah. I read it again and followed your link. I missed that minor detail.
I'll try substituting keys as you suggest: KEY_ENTER for KEY_OK. and so
forth.


> Eric
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.