Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

mythtv 0.24-rc will not compile with gcc 4.7

mythtv at reidsresidence

Mar 31, 2012, 4:22 PM

mythtv 0.24-rc will not compile with gcc 4.7

Anyone have any luck compiling myth with gcc 4.7? I just upgraded and
everything seems to be broken. First it was ffmeg where h264_qpel_mmx.c
needs to be patched, which I managed to fix. Now I'm stuck on compat.h
in libmythbase. Nothing seem to be picking up unistd.h from compat.h.
Everything which requires a function from unistd.h fails. When I add
unistd.h directly to the .cpp file, it compiles fine. What am I missing
here?

mythtv at reidsresidence

Mar 31, 2012, 4:27 PM

Re: mythtv 0.25-rc will not compile with gcc 4.7 [In reply to]

On 03/31/2012 07:22 PM, Kevon wrote:
> Anyone have any luck compiling myth with gcc 4.7? I just upgraded and
> everything seems to be broken. First it was ffmeg where h264_qpel_mmx.c
> needs to be patched, which I managed to fix. Now I'm stuck on compat.h
> in libmythbase. Nothing seem to be picking up unistd.h from compat.h.
> Everything which requires a function from unistd.h fails. When I add
> unistd.h directly to the .cpp file, it compiles fine. What am I missing
> here?

Title correction

mythtv at reidsresidence

Mar 31, 2012, 10:29 PM

Re: mythtv 0.25-rc will not compile with gcc 4.7 [In reply to]

On 03/31/2012 07:22 PM, Kevon wrote:
> Anyone have any luck compiling myth with gcc 4.7? I just upgraded and
> everything seems to be broken. First it was ffmeg where h264_qpel_mmx.c
> needs to be patched, which I managed to fix. Now I'm stuck on compat.h
> in libmythbase. Nothing seem to be picking up unistd.h from compat.h.
> Everything which requires a function from unistd.h fails. When I add
> unistd.h directly to the .cpp file, it compiles fine. What am I missing
> here?

After a few hours bastardizing the source code, I only needed to add
unistd.h to few header files. I have patches available if anyone is
interested. Since there is a lack of response, it seem not many people
are on 4.7.

gjhurlbu at gmail

Mar 31, 2012, 10:47 PM

Re: mythtv 0.25-rc will not compile with gcc 4.7 [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Kevon <mythtv [at] reidsresidence> wrote:
> After a few hours bastardizing the source code, I only needed to add
> unistd.h to few header files. I have patches available if anyone is
> interested. Since there is a lack of response, it seem not many people
> are on 4.7.

I would suggest making patch files and creating a trac ticket. Right
now, most of the development effort is on getting this release out,
but shortly after release, I'm sure it will get looked at.

hobbes1069 at gmail

Re: mythtv 0.24-rc will not compile with gcc 4.7 [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Kevon <mythtv [at] reidsresidence> wrote:
> Anyone have any luck compiling myth with gcc 4.7? I just upgraded and
> everything seems to be broken. First it was ffmeg where h264_qpel_mmx.c
> needs to be patched, which I managed to fix. Now I'm stuck on compat.h
> in libmythbase. Nothing seem to be picking up unistd.h from compat.h.
> Everything which requires a function from unistd.h fails. When I add
> unistd.h directly to the .cpp  file, it compiles fine. What am I missing
> here?

I submitted a patch for this recently and it was more or less accepted.

What do you mean by 0.24-rc? If you mean 0.24 release candidate, that
would be pretty old I don't think would get backported fixes. Why not
run the latest 0.24/fixes?

Richard

gjhurlbu at gmail

Re: mythtv 0.24-rc will not compile with gcc 4.7 [In reply to]

Pretty sure he meant 0.25-rc. Also, please note that any hacks in ffmpeg
code will be superceded by the ffmpeg sync shortly after 0.25 release.

pebender at san

Re: mythtv 0.25-rc will not compile with gcc 4.7 [In reply to]

On 3/31/2012 10:29 PM, Kevon wrote:

> After a few hours bastardizing the source code, I only needed to add
> unistd.h to few header files. I have patches available if anyone is
> interested. Since there is a lack of response, it seem not many people
> are on 4.7.

I build MiniMyth with gcc 4.7.

The patch I created for MythTV 0.25-RC1 is here
<http://code.google.com/p/minimyth/source/browse/trunk/gar-minimyth/script/myth-master/mythtv/files/mythtv-master-gcc_4.7.patch>.
As MiniMyth supports back to MythTV 0.22, the tree contains patches for
MythTV 0.22, 0.23 and 0.24 as well.

pebender at san

Re: mythtv 0.24-rc will not compile with gcc 4.7 [In reply to]

On 4/1/2012 7:41 AM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
> Pretty sure he meant 0.25-rc. Also, please note that any hacks in
> ffmpeg code will be superceded by the ffmpeg sync shortly after 0.25
> release.

None of the changes impact the embedded ffmpeg files. ffmpeg does not
require any patching to build with gcc 4.7.

mythtv at reidsresidence

Re: mythtv 0.25-rc will not compile with gcc 4.7 [In reply to]

On 04/01/2012 11:05 AM, Paul Bender wrote:
> On 4/1/2012 7:41 AM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
>> Pretty sure he meant 0.25-rc. Also, please note that any hacks in
>> ffmpeg code will be superceded by the ffmpeg sync shortly after 0.25
>> release.
>
> None of the changes impact the embedded ffmpeg files. ffmpeg does not
> require any patching to build with gcc 4.7.

The embedded ffmpeg does need patching. The patch has been submitted
upstream and should be included when ffmpeg is synced.

pebender at san

Re: mythtv 0.25-rc will not compile with gcc 4.7 [In reply to]

On 4/1/2012 9:24 AM, Kevon wrote:
> On 04/01/2012 11:05 AM, Paul Bender wrote:
>> On 4/1/2012 7:41 AM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
>>> Pretty sure he meant 0.25-rc. Also, please note that any hacks in
>>> ffmpeg code will be superceded by the ffmpeg sync shortly after 0.25
>>> release.
>>
>> None of the changes impact the embedded ffmpeg files. ffmpeg does not
>> require any patching to build with gcc 4.7.
>
> The embedded ffmpeg does need patching. The patch has been submitted
> upstream and should be included when ffmpeg is synced.

What is the patch? I have not needed a patch for MiniMyth.

gary.buhrmaster at gmail

Re: mythtv 0.25-rc will not compile with gcc 4.7 [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 09:24, Kevon <mythtv [at] reidsresidence> wrote:
> The embedded ffmpeg does need patching. The patch has been submitted
> upstream and should be included when ffmpeg is synced.

I was told that the latest git master FFmpeg (and/or the libav
fork, should mythtv move to that library) already have the
needed patches for the changes in gcc 4.7 (although FFmpeg
did provide the initial test case for a compiler bug in gcc that
was fixed just a few weeks ago in gcc).

That all said, there is a wide range of apps that have older
FFmpeg source (and other sources) that have been experiencing
"opportunities" with gcc 4.7. As Richard indicated, with
Fedora 17 defaulting to gcc 4.7, a lot of packagers and
upstream packages have gotten the word, but it takes
time with some of the less actively maintained packages
out there to see an official new release.

Gary