Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Transcode settings for new iPad

gaberubin at gmail

Mar 28, 2012, 5:43 PM

Transcode settings for new iPad

Hi list,

I am considering getting one of the new iPads. I have used handbrake
in the past to transcode recordings to a suitable resolution for the
iPad. Has anyone used handbrake to transcode to the highest quality
for the new iPad? If so, can someone please post a command line
option? I am trying to determine how large these files will be to see
if I should get a 32 gig or 64 gig.

Thanks

mythtv at theseekerr

Mar 28, 2012, 6:00 PM

Re: Transcode settings for new iPad [In reply to]

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I am considering getting one of the new iPads. I have used handbrake
> in the past to transcode recordings to a suitable resolution for the
> iPad. Has anyone used handbrake to transcode to the highest quality
> for the new iPad? If so, can someone please post a command line
> option? I am trying to determine how large these files will be to see
> if I should get a 32 gig or 64 gig.

I haven't, but common sense tells me that it makes no sense to transcode to
higher resolution than the source material, which sets something of an
upper bound on size.

Just grab the old iPad preset and change the resolution to match the source
- I don't think Apple have changed their H264 decoder's capabilities, so
trying one of the more complex profiles probably won't get you anywhere.

- Chris

gaberubin at gmail

Mar 28, 2012, 6:08 PM

Re: Transcode settings for new iPad [In reply to]

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Christopher Kerr <mythtv [at] theseekerr> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I am considering getting one of the new iPads.  I have used handbrake
>> in the past to transcode recordings to a suitable resolution for the
>> iPad.  Has anyone used handbrake to transcode to the highest quality
>> for the new iPad?  If so, can someone please post a command line
>> option?  I am trying to determine how large these files will be to see
>> if I should get a 32 gig or 64 gig.
>

> I haven't, but common sense tells me that it makes no sense to transcode to
> higher resolution than the source material, which sets something of an upper
> bound on size.
>
> Just grab the old iPad preset and change the resolution to match the source
> - I don't think Apple have changed their H264 decoder's capabilities, so
> trying one of the more complex profiles probably won't get you anywhere.
>
> - Chris

Thanks. I knew that upping the resolution would not be beneficial. I
was just wondering if there are any special things to do with aspect
ratio. I will try to remember what command line option I used and
parse from that, but if someone has any command that they have used,
would love to hear it.

ctreleaven at cogeco

Mar 28, 2012, 6:25 PM

Re: Transcode settings for new iPad [In reply to]

At 5:43 PM -0700 3/28/12, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>I am considering getting one of the new iPads. I have used handbrake
>in the past to transcode recordings to a suitable resolution for the
>iPad. Has anyone used handbrake to transcode to the highest quality
>for the new iPad? If so, can someone please post a command line
>option? I am trying to determine how large these files will be to see
>if I should get a 32 gig or 64 gig.

I don't know but I don't think the question can be answered without
knowing your source material? 1080i or 720P MPEG2 from North
American broadcast TV? Something else?

Also, the final answer depends on your tolerance for low-frame-rate,
blocky video. ;)

Craig

seven at seven

Mar 28, 2012, 6:51 PM

Re: Transcode settings for new iPad [In reply to]

On 29 March 2012 11:25, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven [at] cogeco> wrote:

> At 5:43 PM -0700 3/28/12, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>
>> I am considering getting one of the new iPads. I have used handbrake
>> in the past to transcode recordings to a suitable resolution for the
>> iPad. Has anyone used handbrake to transcode to the highest quality
>> for the new iPad? If so, can someone please post a command line
>> option? I am trying to determine how large these files will be to see
>> if I should get a 32 gig or 64 gig.
>>

> I don't know but I don't think the question can be answered without
> knowing your source material? 1080i or 720P MPEG2 from North American
> broadcast TV? Something else?
>
> Also, the final answer depends on your tolerance for low-frame-rate,
> blocky video. ;)
>
> Craig

I normally transcode with handbrake set to the iphone 4 profile, I dont
find the extra resolution of any benefit other then taking up more space on
the ipad.

Cheers,

Anthony