Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings?

 

 

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


mythtv at tapanitarvainen

Mar 25, 2012, 11:53 PM

Post #1 of 14 (1981 views)
Permalink
Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings?

Now I got the infamous

Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings?

and can't figure out how to fix it.

Neither live tv nor recordings work.

I ran mythtv-setup, deleted all inputs and all capture cards and added
them back (several times in fact) - no change.
The tuners (DVB-C, two of them) seem to work, at least channel
scan in setup finds all channels just as it should.

I can's see anything relevant-looking in the logs either
(although I don't have much of an idea what to look for).

Any suggestions what to try next?

--
Tapani Tarvainen
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mythtv at tapanitarvainen

Mar 26, 2012, 5:07 AM

Post #2 of 14 (1952 views)
Permalink
Re: Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings? [In reply to]

On Mar 26 09:53, Tapani Tarvainen (mythtv [at] tapanitarvainen) wrote:

> Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings?
[...]
> Any suggestions what to try next?

The only thing I can think of at this point is restoring the
database from backup - which means losing several days
worth of information, notably data on programs recorded
during that time. :-(

Is there any way to recover that data?
I guess I could try to extract it from the current
(apparently corrupt) database and insert just it back
after the recovery, but doing that by hand would be
rather hard, especially since there doesn't seem to
be much in the way of low-level documentation of the
database.
Doing a partial recovery from the corrupt database
after restoring an older (hopefully) working one
doesn't sound too appealing either.

Which brings up another question: is there some reason
against backing up the database more often, say daily
instead of weekly?
Will something break if I simply do this:

mv /etc/cron.weekly/mythtv-database /etc/cron.daily

That would make recovery in situations requiring
database restoration much easier.

--
Tapani Tarvainen
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


raymond at wagnerrp

Mar 26, 2012, 5:26 AM

Post #3 of 14 (1959 views)
Permalink
Re: Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings? [In reply to]

On 3/26/2012 02:53, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:
> Now I got the infamous
>
> Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings?
>
> and can't figure out how to fix it.
>
> Neither live tv nor recordings work.
>
> I ran mythtv-setup, deleted all inputs and all capture cards and added
> them back (several times in fact) - no change.
> The tuners (DVB-C, two of them) seem to work, at least channel
> scan in setup finds all channels just as it should.
>
> I can's see anything relevant-looking in the logs either
> (although I don't have much of an idea what to look for).
>
> Any suggestions what to try next?
>

Often that means the backend has determined it has no write access to
storage, and has such disabled all of its local tuners.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mythtv at tapanitarvainen

Mar 26, 2012, 6:41 AM

Post #4 of 14 (1951 views)
Permalink
Re: Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings? [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 08:26:36AM -0400, Raymond Wagner (raymond [at] wagnerrp) wrote:

> >Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings?

> Often that means the backend has determined it has no write access
> to storage, and has such disabled all of its local tuners.

That wasn't it, but thank you for the suggestion, it lead me
to the right track:

In /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log:

2012-03-26 09:49:38.249 DVBChan(1:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0) Error: Failed to open DVB frontend device due to fatal error or too many attempts.

and:

ls -l /dev/dvb/adapter*/frontend0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 3 2012-03-26 16:34 /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 7 2012-03-26 16:34 /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0

I'm not quite sure what exactly those should be or what'd changed
them (I suspect apt-get upgrade - yeah, I know, but...)
Anyway, I did

usermod -G video mythtv

and it works again. :-)
Changing the ownership/permissions of those device files would've
presumably worked as well, but I'm guessing usermod like that
is more robust against updates &c.

--
Tapani Tarvainen
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


hobbes1069 at gmail

Mar 26, 2012, 6:44 AM

Post #5 of 14 (1951 views)
Permalink
Re: Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings? [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Tapani Tarvainen
<mythtv [at] tapanitarvainen> wrote:
> ls -l /dev/dvb/adapter*/frontend0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 3 2012-03-26 16:34 /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 7 2012-03-26 16:34 /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0
>
> I'm not quite sure what exactly those should be or what'd changed
> them (I suspect apt-get upgrade - yeah, I know, but...)
> Anyway, I did
>
> usermod -G video mythtv
>
> and it works again. :-)
> Changing the ownership/permissions of those device files would've
> presumably worked as well, but I'm guessing usermod like that
> is more robust against updates &c.

This is how the RPM Fusion packages work. It creates a "mythtv" user
which mythbackend runs as and it's a member of the audio and video
groups.

Richard
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mtdean at thirdcontact

Mar 26, 2012, 6:30 PM

Post #6 of 14 (1952 views)
Permalink
Re: Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings? [In reply to]

On 03/26/2012 08:07 AM, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:
> On Mar 26 09:53, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:
>> Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings?

Glad to see you got things working (when you realized there were
permissions issues accessing the capture devices), but I thought I'd
respond to some of the points in here (where the most interesting for
you, now, is probably about the backup).

> [...]
>> Any suggestions what to try next?
> The only thing I can think of at this point is restoring the
> database from backup - which means losing several days
> worth of information, notably data on programs recorded
> during that time. :-(

If, in fact, your MythTV configuration is correct, simply stopping and
restarting the master backend (which implies stopping all other
backends, too) should work. Generally, though (as Raymond pointed out),
this tends to occur when there's a problem with necessary prerequisites
for actually recording (i.e. capture cards are misconfigured in MythTV
or at the system level or file system permissions are incorrect or ...).

> Is there any way to recover that data?
> I guess I could try to extract it from the current
> (apparently corrupt)

Generally when something like this occurs, it's not that the database is
corrupt--if anything, it just contains "misconfiguration data". So,
usually restoring a backup doesn't help--or if it does, the same effect
could be achieved by simply doing a "Delete all capture cards" (and/or
"Delete all video sources") and the (properly) re-configuring what was
just deleted. (Usually when that fails, it implies that the problem
isn't the MythTV configuration, but is a lower-level configuration (such
as device configuration/file system permissions/...) or a
misunderstanding caused the user to re-create the same broken
configuration.)

> database and insert just it back
> after the recovery, but doing that by hand would be
> rather hard, especially since there doesn't seem to
> be much in the way of low-level documentation of the
> database.

The only supported place to add shows to MythTV is in the Video
Library. MythTV Recordings section is for recordings done by MythTV.
Note, also, that since the Video Library is an excellent location to
archive shows long term, you can simply move the rest of the recordings
of that series over to Video Library, too, and they're there for archival.

If you're not planning to archive them and plan to watch and delete
them, you could move them over to a "temporary" folder in the Video
Library or something, just to keep that episode with the others of the
series, so that you don't accidentally skip an episode while watching.
(And, you can choose to either leave future episodes in Watch
Recordings--such that when you finish watching the episodes, in order,
in Video Library, you continue with that series in Watch Recordings, or
if you prefer the Video Library UI, you could just keep moving them.)

I think most people move recordings using
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvidexport.py .

> Doing a partial recovery from the corrupt database
> after restoring an older (hopefully) working one
> doesn't sound too appealing either.

The only supported "partial" restore is restoring all recording and
history data (and no configuration) into an empty schema, so that
wouldn't have helped, either.

> Which brings up another question: is there some reason
> against backing up the database more often, say daily
> instead of weekly?
> Will something break if I simply do this:
>
> mv /etc/cron.weekly/mythtv-database /etc/cron.daily
>
> That would make recovery in situations requiring
> database restoration much easier.
>

The database backup is something configured by your distro. The reason
MythTV doesn't do it internally (as it has all the code it needs to do
it internally--and has for a few versions, now), is because performing a
database backup while MythTV is busy doing something else may break that
something else (generally due to I/O or database locking issues causing,
for example, us to be unable to write all the data for a recording).
Since we don't yet have code to really track who's doing what and who
will do what in the future and how long it will be before something is
being done, we're holding off on pretty much all of the automated
database maintenance (including backups and database table checks and
repairs and analysis and optimization). We will eventually do
this--including doing automatic backups at "good" times--but it may be a
few more versions. :)

In the meantime, we're leaving it up to users (with help from distros)
to choose a "safe enough for my system" approach.

That said, if your weekly job isn't causing issues, then chances are a
daily job won't cause issues--unless it happens to be triggered at an
especially-busy time on one of those other days. If you know when your
cron.daily is run and you know it's not a busy recording time, you'll
probably be ok doing a daily backup. So, it's probably a good thing
that you've changed it to do a daily backup.

Mike
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mythtv at tapanitarvainen

Mar 26, 2012, 8:58 PM

Post #7 of 14 (1941 views)
Permalink
Re: Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings? [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 09:30:58PM -0400, Michael T. Dean (mtdean [at] thirdcontact) wrote:

> Glad to see you got things working (when you realized there were
> permissions issues accessing the capture devices), but I thought I'd
> respond to some of the points in here

Thank you for very helpful comments. A few points:

> The only supported place to add shows to MythTV is in the Video
> Library. MythTV Recordings section is for recordings done by MythTV.

OK. In particular this means there's no (supported) way of
merging two backends (combining their recordings),
other than moving recordings from one into Video library
of the other, if I understand correctly.

> Note, also, that since the Video Library is an excellent
> location to archive shows long term
[...]
> I think most people move recordings using
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvidexport.py .

Thanks. I'll take a look at that.

> The database backup is something configured by your distro. The
> reason MythTV doesn't do it internally (as it has all the code it
> needs to do it internally--and has for a few versions, now), is
> because performing a database backup while MythTV is busy doing
> something else may break that something else (generally due to I/O
> or database locking issues causing, for example, us to be unable to
> write all the data for a recording).

Yes, I noticed that in the mythconverg_backup.pl script comments
(and remembered again why I don't like mysql)

> That said, if your weekly job isn't causing issues, then chances are
> a daily job won't cause issues--unless it happens to be triggered at
> an especially-busy time on one of those other days. If you know
> when your cron.daily is run and you know it's not a busy recording
> time, you'll probably be ok doing a daily backup.

Yes (in Ubuntu it runs cron.daily at 6:25 in the morning,
which is pretty safe time for me).
But if I get around to setting up automatic shutdown/wakeup,
doing db backup during shutdown (after stopping the backend)
would probably be the safest way.

--
Tapani Tarvainen
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mtdean at thirdcontact

Mar 27, 2012, 6:39 PM

Post #8 of 14 (1932 views)
Permalink
Re: Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings? [In reply to]

On 03/26/2012 11:58 PM, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 09:30:58PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Glad to see you got things working (when you realized there were
>> permissions issues accessing the capture devices), but I thought I'd
>> respond to some of the points in here
> Thank you for very helpful comments. A few points:
>
>> The only supported place to add shows to MythTV is in the Video
>> Library. MythTV Recordings section is for recordings done by MythTV.
> OK. In particular this means there's no (supported) way of
> merging two backends (combining their recordings),
> other than moving recordings from one into Video library
> of the other, if I understand correctly.

Right. But, again, there's little reason with current MythTV not to put
recordings (TV and/or movies) into Video Library. MythVideo used to be
good primarily for movies and non-TV video, but now it (or, technically
the Video Library, since it was moved into MythTV core) excels at
handling TV. I think more than anything, we just need to get more
people to give it a try, again, and see that it's not your father's
MythVideo.

A friend of mine who uses MythTV wanted to add some videos to Watch
Recordings so his kids' shows were all together (whether they were the
ones he recorded or ones he'd bought on DVD). I explained the idea and
reasoning behind going the other way--moving his recordings of kids'
shows to Video Library along with the DVD rips--and he tried it out and
has several times mentioned how much better this works than Watch
Recordings did. And it allows him to organize the videos in hierarchies
(by disabling flat view) however he likes and switch between "groups"
without MENU|Change Group Filter by just using the arrows to navigate.
He's now convinced that Video Library is the place for long-term
archival of videos, and especially for large libraries of video. (And
he's still moving new recordings over to Video Library--basically
anything he plans to keep rather than watch and delete.) I would be
doing the same, but I don't archive anything--just watch and delete.

>> Note, also, that since the Video Library is an excellent
>> location to archive shows long term
> [...]
>> I think most people move recordings using
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvidexport.py .
> Thanks. I'll take a look at that.
>
>> The database backup is something configured by your distro. The
>> reason MythTV doesn't do it internally (as it has all the code it
>> needs to do it internally--and has for a few versions, now), is
>> because performing a database backup while MythTV is busy doing
>> something else may break that something else (generally due to I/O
>> or database locking issues causing, for example, us to be unable to
>> write all the data for a recording).
> Yes, I noticed that in the mythconverg_backup.pl script comments
> (and remembered again why I don't like mysql)

Hehe, understood. :)

>> That said, if your weekly job isn't causing issues, then chances are
>> a daily job won't cause issues--unless it happens to be triggered at
>> an especially-busy time on one of those other days. If you know
>> when your cron.daily is run and you know it's not a busy recording
>> time, you'll probably be ok doing a daily backup.
> Yes (in Ubuntu it runs cron.daily at 6:25 in the morning,
> which is pretty safe time for me).
> But if I get around to setting up automatic shutdown/wakeup,
> doing db backup during shutdown (after stopping the backend)
> would probably be the safest way.

Yeah, that's exactly what I do for automatic backups--my shut down
script creates one after shutting down the master backend. (That said,
I haven't actually set up auto shut down, so I still do some manual
backups when I know it's safe, since I go longer between shut downs than
I care to go between backups.)

Mike
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


f-myth-users at media

Mar 28, 2012, 9:49 PM

Post #9 of 14 (1913 views)
Permalink
Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings? [In reply to]

> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:39:22 -0400
> From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean [at] thirdcontact>

> Right. But, again, there's little reason with current MythTV not to put
> recordings (TV and/or movies) into Video Library. MythVideo used to be
> good primarily for movies and non-TV video, but now it (or, technically
> the Video Library, since it was moved into MythTV core) excels at
> handling TV. I think more than anything, we just need to get more
> people to give it a try, again, and see that it's not your father's
> MythVideo.

> A friend of mine who uses MythTV wanted to add some videos to Watch
> Recordings so his kids' shows were all together (whether they were the
> ones he recorded or ones he'd bought on DVD). I explained the idea and
> reasoning behind going the other way--moving his recordings of kids'
> shows to Video Library along with the DVD rips--and he tried it out and
> has several times mentioned how much better this works than Watch
> Recordings did. And it allows him to organize the videos in hierarchies
> (by disabling flat view) however he likes and switch between "groups"
> without MENU|Change Group Filter by just using the arrows to navigate.
> He's now convinced that Video Library is the place for long-term
> archival of videos, and especially for large libraries of video. (And
> he's still moving new recordings over to Video Library--basically
> anything he plans to keep rather than watch and delete.) I would be
> doing the same, but I don't archive anything--just watch and delete.

Can you provide (or point us to) an explanation of where you think
Video Library is going? Right now, I don't have a good sense of
why Watch Recordings would even be its own separate interface---
if Video Library provides superior organization, why does (or will)
WR exist at all? It seems like it would just be a different UI
presentation of the very same data. Am I misunderstanding it?

Is any data or metadata lost when moving something from WR to VL?
Does Myth forget in any way that it's recorded the showing, or does it
forget metadata like who's in it or its original airdate or whatever?
Do recordings in VL consuem fewer DB resources (for those with big
DB's), or is there less per-recording schema updating work when
upgrading MythTV? Is stuff in VL still commflag-skippable if
it hasn't actually been cut? Etc.

Put another way, is there any reason not to automatically move
-everything- from WR to VL if VL is (or will be) so good? Right now,
it seems like there's an artificial separation; this made sense back
when MythVideo was "the place to put things that didn't come in
through a capture card" or "the place to rescue your orphaned
meta-data-less recording", but given what you say above, are WR and VL
not the same thing just because they haven't been fully merged yet?

One reason I ask is because I will at some point have a very large
migration from old Myth to 0.25, and one question might be whether
everything archived should then immediately go into VL, leaving WR
empty except for recordings-currently-in-progress...

Thanks.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mtdean at thirdcontact

Mar 29, 2012, 7:24 PM

Post #10 of 14 (1910 views)
Permalink
Re: Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings? [In reply to]

On 03/29/2012 12:49 AM, f-myth-users wrote:
> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:39:22 -0400
> From: "Michael T. Dean"
>
> > Right. But, again, there's little reason with current MythTV not to put
> > recordings (TV and/or movies) into Video Library. MythVideo used to be
> > good primarily for movies and non-TV video, but now it (or, technically
> > the Video Library, since it was moved into MythTV core) excels at
> > handling TV. I think more than anything, we just need to get more
> > people to give it a try, again, and see that it's not your father's
> > MythVideo.
>
> > A friend of mine who uses MythTV wanted to add some videos to Watch
> > Recordings so his kids' shows were all together (whether they were the
> > ones he recorded or ones he'd bought on DVD). I explained the idea and
> > reasoning behind going the other way--moving his recordings of kids'
> > shows to Video Library along with the DVD rips--and he tried it out and
> > has several times mentioned how much better this works than Watch
> > Recordings did. And it allows him to organize the videos in hierarchies
> > (by disabling flat view) however he likes and switch between "groups"
> > without MENU|Change Group Filter by just using the arrows to navigate.
> > He's now convinced that Video Library is the place for long-term
> > archival of videos, and especially for large libraries of video. (And
> > he's still moving new recordings over to Video Library--basically
> > anything he plans to keep rather than watch and delete.) I would be
> > doing the same, but I don't archive anything--just watch and delete.
>
> Can you provide (or point us to) an explanation of where you think
> Video Library is going? Right now, I don't have a good sense of
> why Watch Recordings would even be its own separate interface---
> if Video Library provides superior organization, why does (or will)
> WR exist at all? It seems like it would just be a different UI
> presentation of the very same data. Am I misunderstanding it?
>
> Is any data or metadata lost when moving something from WR to VL?
> Does Myth forget in any way that it's recorded the showing, or does it
> forget metadata like who's in it or its original airdate or whatever?
> Do recordings in VL consuem fewer DB resources (for those with big
> DB's), or is there less per-recording schema updating work when
> upgrading MythTV? Is stuff in VL still commflag-skippable if
> it hasn't actually been cut? Etc.
>
> Put another way, is there any reason not to automatically move
> -everything- from WR to VL if VL is (or will be) so good? Right now,
> it seems like there's an artificial separation; this made sense back
> when MythVideo was "the place to put things that didn't come in
> through a capture card" or "the place to rescue your orphaned
> meta-data-less recording", but given what you say above, are WR and VL
> not the same thing just because they haven't been fully merged yet?
>
> One reason I ask is because I will at some point have a very large
> migration from old Myth to 0.25, and one question might be whether
> everything archived should then immediately go into VL, leaving WR
> empty except for recordings-currently-in-progress...
>
> Thanks.

Generally, the way I see it is that the Watch Recordings screen is great
for "short-term" content that's constantly appearing and
disappearing--record/watch/delete content. WR becomes very much less
useful as the amount of content grows. (Though I don't archive shows, I
record far more than I can possibly watch, so I have about 1900
recordings, now, and even though many are series with a lot of episodes,
it makes navigating the WR screen challenging--and, especially, makes it
hard to find something to watch.) It also makes it hard to organize
videos--allowing just one recording group per recording and requiring
you to use MENU|Change group filter to switch groups.

Video Library (or, MythVideo) was originally designed for holding a
large archive of shows. Therefore, it works nicely, even with very
large libraries. Also, it is designed to allow user-defined
organization of the library, and to work with files, regardless of name
(not requiring/expecting a specific naming format). Navigating your
videos is easy--using the arrow keys to navigate through folders and
content--without having to bring up menus to change the view (but
allowing filtering, when desired).

So, my recommendation is for people who archive lots of shows to
consider moving the recordings they plan to keep from WR to VL. It will
help whittle down the number of recordings in WR and will result in a
much-easier-to-navigate large collection of videos.

Now that VL has great metadata support, you'll get title, subtitle,
description type information (and much more)--just like you had in WR.
Though the description will differ (from TMS's copyrighted description),
it should still provide useful information (and it's editable--even on
thetvdb.com website, if you want to help improve the description for
everyone). VL also allows you to rename video files (or, more likely,
you'll have the mythvidexport.py script rename files for you) with
human- (or UPnP-device-)friendly names instead of the
<chanid>_<starttime>.<ext> names used for recordings, which is also a
good thing if you ever lose some or all of your database.

And, there's a pretty-well-finished plan to change the database schema
to use a generic media file description for recordings and VL videos,
with only a small amount of information specific to WR or VL. At that
point, moving a recording to VL (or, the other way, if you really
wanted) would be simple--likely as simple as checking a box in the UI.
I'm hoping to start implementing those changes some time after 0.25
release (but, depending on how quickly we release 0.26, it may not be
done before 0.26 release).

Mike
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


f-myth-users at media

Apr 3, 2012, 1:50 PM

Post #11 of 14 (1829 views)
Permalink
Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings? [In reply to]

> Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 22:24:37 -0400
> From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean [at] thirdcontact>

> Now that VL has great metadata support, you'll get title, subtitle,
> description type information (and much more)--just like you had in WR.
> Though the description will differ (from TMS's copyrighted description),

This caught my eye.

Are you saying that VL drops the description? I would imagine that
there are a ton of recordings that would fail to have any thetvdb
description at all, because they're obscure one-shots, etc.

This sounds like it's being done to get around a TMS copyright claim
---or rather, that keeping it in VL it would violate their copyright,
but keeping it in WR wouldn't. That seems curious, considering that
the same could be said about the entire -recording-, which is someone
else's copyright. If the project deems that keeping the recording
around is fair use (without which, Myth wouldn't exist), what's the
deal with its description?

Or is it just dropping TMS's description when there's an alternate
from thetvdb, and otherwise hanging onto it? [.Perhaps this would be
obvious if I already had a 0.25 installation, but obviously I don't.]
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mtdean at thirdcontact

Apr 3, 2012, 5:25 PM

Post #12 of 14 (1826 views)
Permalink
Re: Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings? [In reply to]

On 04/03/2012 04:50 PM, f-myth-users [at] media wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 22:24:37 -0400
> > From: "Michael T. Dean"<mtdean [at] thirdcontact>
>
> > Now that VL has great metadata support, you'll get title, subtitle,
> > description type information (and much more)--just like you had in WR.
> > Though the description will differ (from TMS's copyrighted description),
>
> This caught my eye.
>
> Are you saying that VL drops the description? I would imagine that
> there are a ton of recordings that would fail to have any thetvdb
> description at all, because they're obscure one-shots, etc.
>
> This sounds like it's being done to get around a TMS copyright claim
> ---or rather, that keeping it in VL it would violate their copyright,
> but keeping it in WR wouldn't. That seems curious, considering that
> the same could be said about the entire -recording-, which is someone
> else's copyright. If the project deems that keeping the recording
> around is fair use (without which, Myth wouldn't exist), what's the
> deal with its description?
>
> Or is it just dropping TMS's description when there's an alternate
> from thetvdb, and otherwise hanging onto it? [.Perhaps this would be
> obvious if I already had a 0.25 installation, but obviously I don't.]

It's just saying that VL gets descriptions (and other metadata) from
thetvdb.com or themoviedb.org, not from TMS program listings. If you
put the TMS description into VL, then it will be in VL, but you can't
put the TMS description into ttvdb.com or tmdb.org because doing so
would be a violation of TMS's copyright. Therefore, you'll likely
either use the metadata that's already on ttvdb.com/tmdb.org for the
show or--if it's not there, yet, and you want to help to ensure there's
good metadata for anyone else recording the show--you'll write your own
description so you can put it on ttvdb.com/tmdb.org.

Mike
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


f-myth-users at media

Apr 3, 2012, 10:19 PM

Post #13 of 14 (1825 views)
Permalink
Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings? [In reply to]

> Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 20:25:54 -0400
> From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean [at] thirdcontact>

> It's just saying that VL gets descriptions (and other metadata) from
> thetvdb.com or themoviedb.org, not from TMS program listings. If you
> put the TMS description into VL, then it will be in VL, but you can't
> put the TMS description into ttvdb.com or tmdb.org because doing so
> would be a violation of TMS's copyright. Therefore, you'll likely
> either use the metadata that's already on ttvdb.com/tmdb.org for the
> show or--if it's not there, yet, and you want to help to ensure there's
> good metadata for anyone else recording the show--you'll write your own
> description so you can put it on ttvdb.com/tmdb.org.

Okay, now I get it. Thanks!
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


eric at lisaneric

Apr 24, 2012, 4:22 PM

Post #14 of 14 (1751 views)
Permalink
Re: Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings? [In reply to]

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:39 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
> Right.  But, again, there's little reason with current MythTV not to put
> recordings (TV and/or movies) into Video Library.  MythVideo used to be good
> primarily for movies and non-TV video, but now it (or, technically the Video
> Library, since it was moved into MythTV core) excels at handling TV.  I
> think more than anything, we just need to get more people to give it a try,
> again, and see that it's not your father's MythVideo.
>
> A friend of mine who uses MythTV wanted to add some videos to Watch
> Recordings so his kids' shows were all together (whether they were the ones
> he recorded or ones he'd bought on DVD).  I explained the idea and reasoning
> behind going the other way--moving his recordings of kids' shows to Video
> Library along with the DVD rips--and he tried it out and has several times
> mentioned how much better this works than Watch Recordings did.

What is the preferred method to move a recording from Watch Recordings
to Video Library? I don't see any obvious and simple method for doing
this.

Eric
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.