Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X

ctreleaven at cogeco

Mar 22, 2012, 11:39 AM

0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X

Hi:

I was trying out 0.25-RC today (Mac OS X 10.6.8, Myth compiled from
source yesterday with osx-packager.pl). Most things work great but I
noticed what appears to be a problem with metadata. Attached screen
shot show the 'Artwork and Metadata Sources Setup' screen. I presume
there ought to be a Metadata Source input box for Movie and TV media
but it shows as a gaping blank spot on the screen:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26787680/0.25metadataSetup.png

Didn't see anything useful in the log output for either the frontend
or backend.

Thought I'd double check before filing a bug report...

Craig

mtdean at thirdcontact

Mar 22, 2012, 12:10 PM

Re: 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X [In reply to]

On 03/22/2012 02:39 PM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I was trying out 0.25-RC today (Mac OS X 10.6.8, Myth compiled from
> source yesterday with osx-packager.pl). Most things work great but I
> noticed what appears to be a problem with metadata. Attached screen
> shot show the 'Artwork and Metadata Sources Setup' screen. I presume
> there ought to be a Metadata Source input box for Movie and TV media
> but it shows as a gaping blank spot on the screen:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26787680/0.25metadataSetup.png
>
> Didn't see anything useful in the log output for either the frontend
> or backend.
>
> Thought I'd double check before filing a bug report...

I'd guess it's a broken theme--or at least an out-of-date theme on your
system.

Please go into the Theme Chooser and tell it to refresh the list/to
include online themes in the list and then see if there's an updated
version of your theme. If not, please let us know which theme you're
using and we can help figure out who needs to be notified.

Mike

ctreleaven at cogeco

Mar 22, 2012, 1:20 PM

Re: 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X [In reply to]

At 3:10 PM -0400 3/22/12, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>On 03/22/2012 02:39 PM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> I was trying out 0.25-RC today (Mac OS X 10.6.8, Myth compiled from
>> source yesterday with osx-packager.pl). Most things work great but I
>> noticed what appears to be a problem with metadata. Attached screen
>> shot show the 'Artwork and Metadata Sources Setup' screen. I presume
>> there ought to be a Metadata Source input box for Movie and TV media
>> but it shows as a gaping blank spot on the screen:
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26787680/0.25metadataSetup.png
>>
>> Didn't see anything useful in the log output for either the frontend
>> or backend.
>>
>> Thought I'd double check before filing a bug report...
>>

>I'd guess it's a broken theme--or at least an out-of-date theme on your
>system.
>
>Please go into the Theme Chooser and tell it to refresh the list/to
>include online themes in the list and then see if there's an updated
>version of your theme. If not, please let us know which theme you're
>using and we can help figure out who needs to be notified.

Hi Mike:

I refreshed the themes and tried again with both MythCenterWide and Terra. I'm not able to select Metadata Sources for movies or TV with either. See:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26787680/0.25metadataSetup_MythCenterWide.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26787680/0.25metadataSetup_Terra.png

Is this maybe related to my earlier posting about the Mac .app bundles not including mythmetadatalookup?

BTW, what is the default theme?

Craig

jyavenard at gmail

Mar 22, 2012, 4:46 PM

Re: 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X [In reply to]

Hi

On Thursday, 22 March 2012, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven [at] cogeco> wrote:

> I refreshed the themes and tried again with both MythCenterWide and
Terra. I'm not able to select Metadata Sources for movies or TV with
either. See:

> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26787680/0.25metadataSetup_MythCenterWide.png
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26787680/0.25metadataSetup_Terra.png
>
> Is this maybe related to my earlier posting about the Mac .app bundles
not including mythmetadatalookup?

The mac bundles do not include the python bindings...

ctreleaven at cogeco

Mar 22, 2012, 5:18 PM

Re: 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X [In reply to]

At 10:46 AM +1100 3/23/12, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>On Thursday, 22 March 2012, Craig Treleaven <<mailto:ctreleaven [at] cogeco>ctreleaven [at] cogeco> wrote:
>
>> I refreshed the themes and tried again with both MythCenterWide and Terra. I'm not able to select Metadata Sources for movies or TV with either. See:
>>
>> <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26787680/0.25metadataSetup_MythCenterWide.png>http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26787680/0.25metadataSetup_MythCenterWide.png
>> <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26787680/0.25metadataSetup_Terra.png>http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26787680/0.25metadataSetup_Terra.png
>>
>> Is this maybe related to my earlier posting about the Mac .app bundles not including mythmetadatalookup?
>>

>The mac bundles do not include the python bindings...

I've previously installed some of the dependencies* that blocked the perl/python bindings. My output from mythtv configure (included in osx-packager.pl's output) includes:

# Bindings
bindings_perl yes
bindings_python yes
bindings_php yes

Version says they are included too:
$ /Users/mythbuild/myth25/MythBackend.app/Contents/MacOS/MythBackend --version
MythTV Version : v0.25-rc-26-g495ef16
MythTV Branch : master
Network Protocol : 72
Library API : 0.25.20120315-2
QT Version : 4.6.3
Options compiled in:
profile use_hidesyms darwin_da using_corevideo using_backend
using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
using_darwin using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_ceton
using_iptv using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libxml2 using_libudf
using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript
using_quartz_video using_appleremote using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_darwin_da
using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_ffmpeg_threads using_live
using_mheg using_libxml2 using_libudf

Am I being misled?

Craig

* This was a while ago, but my notes say the python bindings needed: MySQL-python, and lxml. I think that was all. MythNetVision needs pycurl and OAuth, in addition.

mtdean at thirdcontact

Mar 22, 2012, 9:57 PM

Re: 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X [In reply to]

On 03/22/2012 08:18 PM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> At 10:46 AM +1100 3/23/12, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> On Thursday, 22 March 2012, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>
>>> I refreshed the themes and tried again with both MythCenterWide and Terra. I'm not able to select Metadata Sources for movies or TV with either. See:
>>>
>>> <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26787680/0.25metadataSetup_MythCenterWide.png>http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26787680/0.25metadataSetup_MythCenterWide.png
>>> <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26787680/0.25metadataSetup_Terra.png>http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26787680/0.25metadataSetup_Terra.png
>>>
>>> Is this maybe related to my earlier posting about the Mac .app bundles not including mythmetadatalookup?

Yep, that's related to the "root" of the problem (or, is actually
probably a result of the same problem).

>> The mac bundles do not include the python bindings...

Right. It seems that someone with OS X will need to figure out how to
make the Python bindings (and the metadata grabber scripts) work on Mac
OS X and provide a patch. Until then, they aren't installed.

So, the answer to the question of why the Movie and TV grabbers show
nothing is because without the Python bindings the scripts don't work.
So, when the setup screen attempts to run the -v "checks" for the
scripts, they fail, so there are no scripts to list for the Movie and TV
media. The one Game media grabber happens to be a Perl script that
doesn't use the bindings, so it's not reliant on the bindings, which is
why it shows up.

> I've previously installed some of the dependencies* that blocked the perl/python bindings. My output from mythtv configure (included in osx-packager.pl's output) includes:
>
> # Bindings
> bindings_perl yes
> bindings_python yes
> bindings_php yes
>
> Version says they are included too:
> $ /Users/mythbuild/myth25/MythBackend.app/Contents/MacOS/MythBackend --version
> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
> MythTV Version : v0.25-rc-26-g495ef16
> MythTV Branch : master
> Network Protocol : 72
> Library API : 0.25.20120315-2
> QT Version : 4.6.3
> Options compiled in:
> profile use_hidesyms darwin_da using_corevideo using_backend
> using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
> using_darwin using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_ceton
> using_iptv using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libxml2 using_libudf
> using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript
> using_quartz_video using_appleremote using_bindings_perl
> using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_darwin_da
> using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_ffmpeg_threads using_live
> using_mheg using_libxml2 using_libudf
>
> Am I being misled?
>
> Craig
>
> * This was a while ago, but my notes say the python bindings needed: MySQL-python, and lxml. I think that was all. MythNetVision needs pycurl and OAuth, in addition.

As I understand it, configure is telling you that the python bindings
"will be built", but because no one has figured out how to install them
on Mac OS X in the bundle or whatever, they aren't actually installed.

Mike

ctreleaven at cogeco

Mar 23, 2012, 8:25 AM

Re: 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X [In reply to]

At 12:57 AM -0400 3/23/12, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>On 03/22/2012 08:18 PM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>> At 10:46 AM +1100 3/23/12, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> >> On Thursday, 22 March 2012, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> The mac bundles do not include the python bindings...
>
>Right. It seems that someone with OS X will need to figure out how to
>make the Python bindings (and the metadata grabber scripts) work on Mac
>OS X and provide a patch. Until then, they aren't installed.
>
>So, the answer to the question of why the Movie and TV grabbers show
>nothing is because without the Python bindings the scripts don't work.
>So, when the setup screen attempts to run the -v "checks" for the
>scripts, they fail, so there are no scripts to list for the Movie and TV
>media. The one Game media grabber happens to be a Perl script that
>doesn't use the bindings, so it's not reliant on the bindings, which is
>why it shows up.
>
>[...]
>
>As I understand it, configure is telling you that the python bindings
>"will be built", but because no one has figured out how to install them
>on Mac OS X in the bundle or whatever, they aren't actually installed.

In addition to metadata lookup being broken, this also means that
mytharchive can't work on the Mac either, right?

From some quick messing around, it seemed that the hardware profile
function didn't work either but I don't see where it is referencing
the python bindings.

So, we need to find someone knowledgeable about Python on OS X to
show us how to install the MythTV Python bindings so that the apps
can use them. (I'm not that person.) Looking at my build, there is a
directory full of stuff that seems to be bindings:

>$ cat
>/Users/mythbuild/myth25/.osx-packager/build-fixQTspam/lib/python2.6/site-packages/MythTV-0.24.0-py2.6.egg-info
>Metadata-Version: 1.1
>Name: MythTV
>Version: 0.24.0 **
>Author: UNKNOWN
>Author-email: UNKNOWN
>License: UNKNOWN
>MythTV database, mythproto, mythxml, and frontend remote control.
>Platform: UNKNOWN
>Requires: MySQLdb
>Requires: lxml

C'mon you Python folks--can you lend us a hand? ;)

Craig
** It isn't just a 0.24 <> 0.25 version problem? No, didn't think so.

bradd at ameri

Mar 23, 2012, 8:35 AM

Re: 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X [In reply to]

On Mar 23, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> At 12:57 AM -0400 3/23/12, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>> Right. It seems that someone with OS X will need to figure out how to
>> make the Python bindings (and the metadata grabber scripts) work on Mac
>> OS X and provide a patch. Until then, they aren't installed.
>>
>> So, the answer to the question of why the Movie and TV grabbers show
>> nothing is because without the Python bindings the scripts don't work.
>> So, when the setup screen attempts to run the -v "checks" for the
>> scripts, they fail, so there are no scripts to list for the Movie and TV
>> media. The one Game media grabber happens to be a Perl script that
>> doesn't use the bindings, so it's not reliant on the bindings, which is
>> why it shows up.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> As I understand it, configure is telling you that the python bindings
>> "will be built", but because no one has figured out how to install them
>> on Mac OS X in the bundle or whatever, they aren't actually installed.
>>

> In addition to metadata lookup being broken, this also means that
> mytharchive can't work on the Mac either, right?
>
> From some quick messing around, it seemed that the hardware profile
> function didn't work either but I don't see where it is referencing
> the python bindings.
>
> So, we need to find someone knowledgeable about Python on OS X to
> show us how to install the MythTV Python bindings so that the apps
> can use them. (I'm not that person.) Looking at my build, there is a
> directory full of stuff that seems to be bindings:
>
>> $ cat
>> /Users/mythbuild/myth25/.osx-packager/build-fixQTspam/lib/python2.6/site-packages/MythTV-0.24.0-py2.6.egg-info
>> Metadata-Version: 1.1
>> Name: MythTV
>> Version: 0.24.0 **
>> Author: UNKNOWN
>> Author-email: UNKNOWN
>> License: UNKNOWN
>> MythTV database, mythproto, mythxml, and frontend remote control.
>> Platform: UNKNOWN
>> Requires: MySQLdb
>> Requires: lxml
>
> C'mon you Python folks--can you lend us a hand? ;)

my question is does the python/perl/php stuff need to be bundled inside of the app(seems like the right way to do it).
i've actually started looking at this, but havent gotten that far yet(got python to install using the osx-packager script, looking at the modules now).

raymond at wagnerrp

Mar 23, 2012, 11:22 AM

Re: 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X [In reply to]

On 3/23/2012 11:25, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> C'mon you Python folks--can you lend us a hand?;)

The Python bindings just use the standard distutils library to describe
its components to Python, and let Python install the bindings where ever
it wants. If those mechanisms do not work on OSX, that is an upstream
problem for Python to resolve, or at least not something I can do
anything about not having an OSX machine to test on.

raymond at wagnerrp

Mar 23, 2012, 11:35 AM

Re: 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X [In reply to]

On 3/23/2012 14:22, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 3/23/2012 11:25, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>> C'mon you Python folks--can you lend us a hand?;)
> The Python bindings just use the standard distutils library to describe
> its components to Python, and let Python install the bindings where ever
> it wants. If those mechanisms do not work on OSX, that is an upstream
> problem for Python to resolve, or at least not something I can do
> anything about not having an OSX machine to test on.

The bindings are just installed through that
mythtv/bindings/python/setup.py script. You run "python setup.py build"
to tokenize them in a temporary build directory for faster loading. You
run "python setup.py install" to install them to where ever Python
stores its libraries on OSX. On Linux, that is
/usr/local/lib/python2.X/site-packages/.

If you are just installing directly, you may be able to get away with
just running the above command, or more correctly letting it run through
the bundled Makefile with "make install", however doing that may cause
problems if you supply a --prefix during configure. If you are trying
to instead bundle the bindings within that redistributable .app package,
you are going to want to just build (tokenize) them, and then you're on
your own how to move those files into the app, and afterwards how to let
Python know how to find those files stored in the app.

mtdean at thirdcontact

Mar 23, 2012, 11:36 AM

Re: 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X [In reply to]

On 03/23/2012 02:22 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 3/23/2012 11:25, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>> C'mon you Python folks--can you lend us a hand?;)
> The Python bindings just use the standard distutils library to describe
> its components to Python, and let Python install the bindings where ever
> it wants. If those mechanisms do not work on OSX, that is an upstream
> problem for Python to resolve, or at least not something I can do
> anything about not having an OSX machine to test on.

AIUI, it's something to do with the way the MythTV application is
bundled for Mac OS X (preventing it from accessing the bindings). That
said, I know nothing of OS X, so I may be way off.

Mike

ctreleaven at cogeco

Mar 23, 2012, 2:29 PM

Re: 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X [In reply to]

At 2:35 PM -0400 3/23/12, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>On 3/23/2012 14:22, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 3/23/2012 11:25, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>> C'mon you Python folks--can you lend us a hand?;)
>> The Python bindings just use the standard distutils library to describe
>> its components to Python, and let Python install the bindings where ever
>> it wants. If those mechanisms do not work on OSX, that is an upstream
>> problem for Python to resolve, or at least not something I can do
>> anything about not having an OSX machine to test on.
>
>The bindings are just installed through that
>mythtv/bindings/python/setup.py script. You run "python setup.py build"
>to tokenize them in a temporary build directory for faster loading. You
>run "python setup.py install" to install them to where ever Python
>stores its libraries on OSX. On Linux, that is
>/usr/local/lib/python2.X/site-packages/.
>
>If you are just installing directly, you may be able to get away with
>just running the above command, or more correctly letting it run through
>the bundled Makefile with "make install", however doing that may cause
>problems if you supply a --prefix during configure. If you are trying
>to instead bundle the bindings within that redistributable .app package,
>you are going to want to just build (tokenize) them, and then you're on
>your own how to move those files into the app, and afterwards how to let
>Python know how to find those files stored in the app.

Hi Raymond:

I know you've got lots on your plate--I was hoping that a Mac+Python
person would step forward. (I'm certainly not that person! ;)

I would bet dollars-to-donuts that there is some relatively
straightforward way to get the bindings to work on OS X. There is
lots of cross platform Python software that works. I'm inclined to
think that osx-packager.pl isn't doing something that it ought to,
that's all.

On OS X, there is no '/usr/local/lib/python2.X'. There is
'/usr/lib/python2.x' but it is a link to the OS X system library, as
below.

$ ls -al /usr/lib/python2.6
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 75 7 Oct 17:41 /usr/lib/python2.6 ->
../../System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6

The latter directory holds a ton of stuff (*.py, *.pyc, and *.pyo)
and appears to have Apple-distributed components as well as stuff I
installed (using easy_install) like JSON and XML. All the files are
owned by root. If I get brave, I'll plop the
'build/lib/python2.6/site-packages/MythTV' directory into there and
see what happens. Maybe all that is needed is to create a
corresponding /lib/python2.6/site-packages/ folder inside the app
bundle and OS X will automatically use it in the search path--I don't
know.

BTW, is it only the frontend that fires off Python activities or does
the backend need access to them as well?

Finally, please note that I am *not* demanding that something be done
about the Python bindings. Just wanted to raise the issue and see if
I'd done something wrong or if there was some easy tweak to make it
go.

Craig

raymond at wagnerrp

Mar 23, 2012, 5:04 PM

Re: 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X [In reply to]

On 3/23/2012 17:29, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> BTW, is it only the frontend that fires off Python activities or does
> the backend need access to them as well?

The two main video metadata grabbers require the bindings, and those may
be used by tasks triggered by both the frontend and backend.

jyavenard at gmail

Mar 23, 2012, 7:51 PM

Re: 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X [In reply to]

Hi

On Friday, 23 March 2012, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven [at] cogeco> wrote:

> I've previously installed some of the dependencies* that blocked the
perl/python bindings. My output from mythtv configure (included in
osx-packager.pl's output) includes:

> # Bindings
> bindings_perl yes
> bindings_python yes
> bindings_php yes

That configure detected the dependencies has no bearing as to what will be
packaged in the mac bundle.

The perl packager knows nothing of those dependencies and they won't be
installed.

I have to add to adding those isn't going to work that easily. You would
need a proper installer that would install the python/perl bindings in the
required place.

It would never work as a standalone mac application bundle

ctreleaven at cogeco

Mar 24, 2012, 7:02 AM

Re: 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X [In reply to]

At 1:51 PM +1100 3/24/12, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>Hi
>
>On Friday, 23 March 2012, Craig Treleaven
><<mailto:ctreleaven [at] cogeco>ctreleaven [at] cogeco> wrote:
>
>> I've previously installed some of the dependencies* that blocked
>>the perl/python bindings. My output from mythtv configure
>>(included in <http://osx-packager.pl>osx-packager.pl's output)
>>includes:
>>
>> # Bindings
>> bindings_perl yes
>> bindings_python yes
>> bindings_php yes
>>

>That configure detected the dependencies has no bearing as to what
>will be packaged in the mac bundle.
>
>The perl packager knows nothing of those dependencies and they won't
>be installed.
>
>I have to add to adding those isn't going to work that easily. You
>would need a proper installer that would install the python/perl
>bindings in the required place.
>
>It would never work as a standalone mac application bundle

Hi:

Google yielded mention of py2app
<http://svn.pythonmac.org/py2app/py2app/trunk/doc/index.html>. The
py2app documentation says:
>Packages that were explicitly included with the packages option, or
>by a recipe, will be placed in Contents/Resources/lib/python2.X/.
>A zip file containing all Python dependencies is created at
>Contents/Resources/Python/site-packages.zip.
>Extensions (which can't be included in the zip) are copied to the
>Contents/Resources/lib/python2.X/lib-dynload/ folder.

I don't think py2app is exactly what we want since our main
application is not in Python. It, however, refers to "Dependency
resolution by modulegraph".

I see that modulegraph is already installed on my Mac:
>Name: modulegraph
>Version: 0.7.2.dev
> modulegraph determines a dependency graph between Python
>modules primarily
> by bytecode analysis for import statements.
>
> modulegraph uses similar methods to modulefinder from the
>standard library,
> but uses a more flexible internal representation, has more extensive
> knowledge of special cases, and is extensible.

This *seems* like it might be related. I could be completely wrong.

If this isn't the right thing, surely we could create a little app
that *only* installs the missing dependencies. Perl, Python, bash or
even Applescript could install this stuff, no?

Metadata is a cool new feature for Myth. I'd like to find some way
for OS X users to join the fun.

Craig

jyavenard at gmail

Mar 24, 2012, 7:26 AM

Re: 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X [In reply to]

Hi

On Saturday, 24 March 2012, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven [at] cogeco> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Google yielded mention of py2app
> <http://svn.pythonmac.org/py2app/py2app/trunk/doc/index.html>. The
> py2app documentation says:
>>Packages that were explicitly included with the packages option, or
>>by a recipe, will be placed in Contents/Resources/lib/python2.X/.
>>A zip file containing all Python dependencies is created at
>>Contents/Resources/Python/site-packages.zip.
>>Extensions (which can't be included in the zip) are copied to the
>>Contents/Resources/lib/python2.X/lib-dynload/ folder.

I have used py2app in the path, and what it does is similar to what our
perl script is doing, look at the dependencies and copy them in the bundle.
However, our packager ignore any system files. While with python, you
can't.
As such, py2app copies pretty much all python related files into a bundle,
including system python.
An application as such is pretty big, even when you do the simplest thing.

Personally, I don't use on my mac anything else but the fronted, as such I
have very little incentive into making it python bindings working.