Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Long Pause when audio changes

chrislewis915 at gmail

Mar 23, 2012, 1:00 PM

Long Pause when audio changes

Hi

In the last few weeks i have been experiencing a problem where the frontend
stops for anywhere between 3 - 10 seconds at the start and end of the
commercial break.

I am in the UK and using DVB-S2 card mostly recording the FTA HD channels.
So tonight after another telling off from SWMBO i decided to try and have
a look in the logs at what was causing it.

What i have seen is when the adverts start the FE log contains this

2012-03-23 19:40:45.043 AFD: Audio stream changed
2012-03-23 19:40:45.051 AO: Opening audio device 'plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9'
ch 2(2) sr 48000 sf signed 16 bit reenc 0
2012-03-23 19:52:06.811 AFD: Audio stream changed
2012-03-23 19:52:06.814 AO: Opening audio device 'plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9'
ch 2(6) sr 48000 sf signed 16 bit reenc 0

Pleas ignore the times. I had paused the playback during the adverts to
order takeout. This started a few weeks back (I'm not sure when) but it
must be due to an upgrade that i installed.

I run mythbuntu 11.10 with the lastest updates from the mythbuntu repos.

Any ideas?

Chris

jyavenard at gmail

Mar 23, 2012, 8:07 PM

Re: Long Pause when audio changes [In reply to]

Hi

On Friday, 23 March 2012, Chris Lewis <chrislewis915 [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi
> In the last few weeks i have been experiencing a problem where the
frontend stops for anywhere between 3 - 10 seconds at the start and end of
the commercial break.
> I am in the UK and using DVB-S2 card mostly recording the FTA HD
channels. So tonight after another telling off from SWMBO i decided to try
and have a look in the logs at what was causing it.
> What i have seen is when the adverts start the FE log contains this
> 2012-03-23 19:40:45.043 AFD: Audio stream changed
> 2012-03-23 19:40:45.051 AO: Opening audio device
'plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9' ch 2(2) sr 48000 sf signed 16 bit reenc 0
> 2012-03-23 19:52:06.811 AFD: Audio stream changed
> 2012-03-23 19:52:06.814 AO: Opening audio device
'plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9' ch 2(6) sr 48000 sf signed 16 bit reenc 0

> Pleas ignore the times. I had paused the playback during the adverts to
order takeout. This started a few weeks back (I'm not sure when) but it
must be due to an upgrade that i installed.
> I run mythbuntu 11.10 with the lastest updates from the mythbuntu repos.
> Any ideas?
> Chris

You're using HDMI. Get a different hdmi audio amplifier. One that doesn't
take 3 to 10s to get a lock..

Additionally, I doubt the audio setup would have presented you with the
audio device you have configured and that it must be one you typed by hand.

I can guarantee you that the audio setup screen knows better than you when
it comes in selecting the audio device.

If you want to get a bit more meaningful idea on what is going on: run
mythfrontend with -v audio,playback

chrislewis915 at gmail

Mar 24, 2012, 2:41 AM

Re: Long Pause when audio changes [In reply to]

> You're using HDMI. Get a different hdmi audio amplifier. One that doesn't
> take 3 to 10s to get a lock..
>
> Additionally, I doubt the audio setup would have presented you with the
> audio device you have configured and that it must be one you typed by hand.
>
> I can guarantee you that the audio setup screen knows better than you when
> it comes in selecting the audio device.
>
> If you want to get a bit more meaningful idea on what is going on: run
> mythfrontend with -v audio,playback
>
> Thanks for the reply. I am indeed using HDMI audio on a GT430.

The thing is it has only started doing this in the last couple of weeks so
either something has changed in the broadcast stream or something has
changed in MythTV.

I actually didn't have to type in the audio config by hand but the one i
selected was not the one chosen by MythTV during setup.

Like i said this all worked fine until recently. I try changing a few audio
options and have a go with -v audio, playback and see what i can gather.

Regards

Chris

pieter at insync

Mar 24, 2012, 3:39 AM

Re: Long Pause when audio changes [In reply to]

On 24/03/2012 22:41, Chris Lewis wrote:

> You're using HDMI. Get a different hdmi audio amplifier. One that
> doesn't take 3 to 10s to get a lock..
>
> Additionally, I doubt the audio setup would have presented you
> with the audio device you have configured and that it must be one
> you typed by hand.
>
> I can guarantee you that the audio setup screen knows better than
> you when it comes in selecting the audio device.
>
> If you want to get a bit more meaningful idea on what is going on:
> run mythfrontend with -v audio,playback
>
> Thanks for the reply. I am indeed using HDMI audio on a GT430.
>
> The thing is it has only started doing this in the last couple of
> weeks so either something has changed in the broadcast stream or
> something has changed in MythTV.
>
> I actually didn't have to type in the audio config by hand but the one
> i selected was not the one chosen by MythTV during setup.
>
> Like i said this all worked fine until recently. I try changing a few
> audio options and have a go with -v audio, playback and see what i can
> gather.
>
> Regards
>
> Chris

I am also seeing this. It only happened after an upgrade. I didn't
record the versions.

Cheers,

Pieter

jyavenard at gmail

Mar 24, 2012, 7:03 AM

Long Pause when audio changes [In reply to]

On Saturday, 24 March 2012, Chris Lewis
> Thanks for the reply. I am indeed using HDMI audio on a GT430.
> The thing is it has only started doing this in the last couple of weeks
so either something has changed in the broadcast stream or something has
changed in MythTV.

Are you running 0.25?

Can you post the output of running myth frontend with -v audio,playback ?

Additionally, are you using the upmixer and do you have the stereo PCM
option checked in the advanced option?

If compiling from source, try reverting commit
f8d2de08e982bd646d0a3e430ec8799f7494f8f8

And see if it makes any difference to you.

> I actually didn't have to type in the audio config by hand but the one i
selected was not the one chosen by MythTV during setup.

Myth doesnt select any devices for you; it only shows you what's available.
Additionally, if running mythtv 0.25 and you have alsa 1.0.25 or later
running, myth will show you what's connected via hdmi. So it is quite easy
to determine what the right hdmi device to use.

> Like i said this all worked fine until recently. I try changing a few
audio options and have a go with -v audio, playback and see what i can
gather.

That would be appreciated.
The sooner, the better.

> Regards
> Chris

chrislewis915 at gmail

Mar 24, 2012, 10:03 AM

Re: Long Pause when audio changes [In reply to]

I'm running 0.24.2 fixes from mythbuntu, will probably be Monday before I
get access to create some logs

Chris

On 24 Mar 2012 14:03, "Jean-Yves Avenard" <jyavenard [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Saturday, 24 March 2012, Chris Lewis
> > Thanks for the reply. I am indeed using HDMI audio on a GT430.
> > The thing is it has only started doing this in the last couple of weeks
> so either something has changed in the broadcast stream or something has
> changed in MythTV.
>
> Are you running 0.25?
>
> Can you post the output of running myth frontend with -v audio,playback ?
>
> Additionally, are you using the upmixer and do you have the stereo PCM
> option checked in the advanced option?
>
> If compiling from source, try reverting commit
> f8d2de08e982bd646d0a3e430ec8799f7494f8f8
>
> And see if it makes any difference to you.
>
> > I actually didn't have to type in the audio config by hand but the one i
> selected was not the one chosen by MythTV during setup.
>
> Myth doesnt select any devices for you; it only shows you what's
> available.
> Additionally, if running mythtv 0.25 and you have alsa 1.0.25 or later
> running, myth will show you what's connected via hdmi. So it is quite easy
> to determine what the right hdmi device to use.
>
> > Like i said this all worked fine until recently. I try changing a few
> audio options and have a go with -v audio, playback and see what i can
> gather.
>
> That would be appreciated.
> The sooner, the better.
>
> > Regards
> > Chris

jyavenard at gmail

Mar 24, 2012, 1:01 PM

Re: Long Pause when audio changes [In reply to]

On Saturday, 24 March 2012, Chris Lewis <chrislewis915 [at] gmail> wrote:
> I'm running 0.24.2 fixes from mythbuntu, will probably be Monday before I
get access to create some logs

I don't really care about 0.24; there has been no changes for a while that
could explain what you're describing other than being purely an issue with
your amplifier.

chrislewis915 at gmail

Mar 24, 2012, 1:31 PM

Re: Long Pause when audio changes [In reply to]

Ok well I'll post up the logs just incase but I'm pretty certain something
has changed

Thanks for the help anyway
Chris