Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

OT: two new remotes

 

 

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


richard.e.morton at gmail

Jan 12, 2012, 2:42 PM

Post #1 of 15 (2111 views)
Permalink
OT: two new remotes

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/12/lg-google-tv-magic-remote-qwerty-ces/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/12/panasonic-viera-touchpad-controller-prototype-hands-on-video/


mythtv at rtr

Jan 13, 2012, 6:35 AM

Post #2 of 15 (2062 views)
Permalink
Re: OT: two new remotes [In reply to]

..and for anyone looking for a more conventional remote control
that is dead simple to setup in Mythtv (no LIRC!), I recommend
this particular $13 (delivered!) unit to my friends:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180727780787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Contrary to the advertising, it is NOT a Win-MCE remote control,
but that's a "plus" in my books! :)

There is a "driver" for it in stock kernels, though it's pretty poor.

So I've written my own input (keyboard) driver for it,
and source code is available on request. Installation is very
very simple: "make install", no reboot required.
The driver is preconfigured with mythtv mappings for most keys.

Cheers

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mythtv at rtr

Jan 13, 2012, 7:43 AM

Post #3 of 15 (2067 views)
Permalink
Re: OT: two new remotes [In reply to]

On 12-01-13 09:35 AM, Mark Lord wrote:
> ..and for anyone looking for a more conventional remote control
> that is dead simple to setup in Mythtv (no LIRC!), I recommend
> this particular $13 (delivered!) unit to my friends:
>
> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180727780787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
>
> Contrary to the advertising, it is NOT a Win-MCE remote control,
> but that's a "plus" in my books! :)
>
> There is a "driver" for it in stock kernels, though it's pretty poor.
>
> So I've written my own input (keyboard) driver for it,
> and source code is available on request. Installation is very
> very simple: "make install", no reboot required.
> The driver is preconfigured with mythtv mappings for most keys.

On 12-01-13 09:45 AM, Doug Lytle wrote:
..
> If you would be so kind, I'd like a copy of the driver.

Okay, source code tidied some, and the Makefile has been beefed up:

http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/

No documentation, just unpack the tarball and do "make install".

Cheers
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


jaglover at gmail

Jan 13, 2012, 1:22 PM

Post #4 of 15 (2053 views)
Permalink
Re: OT: two new remotes [In reply to]

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 09:35:30 -0500
Mark Lord <mythtv [at] rtr> wrote:

> ..and for anyone looking for a more conventional remote control
> that is dead simple to setup in Mythtv (no LIRC!), I recommend
> this particular $13 (delivered!) unit to my friends:
>
> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180727780787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
>
> Contrary to the advertising, it is NOT a Win-MCE remote control,
> but that's a "plus" in my books! :)
>
> There is a "driver" for it in stock kernels, though it's pretty poor.
>
> So I've written my own input (keyboard) driver for it,
> and source code is available on request. Installation is very
> very simple: "make install", no reboot required.
> The driver is preconfigured with mythtv mappings for most keys.

Most appreciated! I was in dire need of a remote that has more than 20
buttons (my current one). Just ordered one.
Thank you, Mark.

--
Cheers, Saul
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mythtv at rtr

Mar 18, 2012, 6:50 AM

Post #5 of 15 (1931 views)
Permalink
Re: OT: two new remotes [In reply to]

On 12-01-13 04:22 PM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 09:35:30 -0500
> Mark Lord <mythtv [at] rtr> wrote:
>
>> ..and for anyone looking for a more conventional remote control
>> that is dead simple to setup in Mythtv (no LIRC!), I recommend
>> this particular $13 (delivered!) unit to my friends:
>>
>> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180727780787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
>>
>> Contrary to the advertising, it is NOT a Win-MCE remote control,
>> but that's a "plus" in my books! :)
>>
>> There is a "driver" for it in stock kernels, though it's pretty poor.
>>
>> So I've written my own input (keyboard) driver for it,
>> and source code is available on request. Installation is very
>> very simple: "make install", no reboot required.
>> The driver is preconfigured with mythtv mappings for most keys.
>
> Most appreciated! I was in dire need of a remote that has more than 20
> buttons (my current one). Just ordered one.

This remote control continues to work well for us here
on five separate mythtv installations now.

I've updated the driver to now publish a /proc/sapphire entry
with information about the last button pressed and how long it
has been (seconds) since that event. This info is useful for
helping to decide whether or not to suspend an inactive front-end.

We've also now verified that this remote control's "Power" button
does indeed work as a "wake from suspend" button,
provided one first enables it in /proc/acpi/wakeup.

Latest driver at: http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/


_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


nospam at netrom

Mar 18, 2012, 6:17 PM

Post #6 of 15 (1920 views)
Permalink
Re: OT: two new remotes [In reply to]

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Mark Lord <mythtv [at] rtr> wrote:
> This remote control continues to work well for us here
> on five separate mythtv installations now.
>
> I've updated the driver to now publish a /proc/sapphire entry
> with information about the last button pressed and how long it
> has been (seconds) since that event.  This info is useful for
> helping to decide whether or not to suspend an inactive front-end.
>
> We've also now verified that this remote control's "Power" button
> does indeed work as a "wake from suspend" button,
> provided one first enables it in /proc/acpi/wakeup.
>
> Latest driver at: http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/

Thanks for your endorsement. I just bought one and I'm hoping for the best.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


nick.rout at gmail

Mar 19, 2012, 12:34 AM

Post #7 of 15 (1915 views)
Permalink
Re: OT: two new remotes [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 2:50 AM, Mark Lord <mythtv [at] rtr> wrote:
> On 12-01-13 04:22 PM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 09:35:30 -0500
>> Mark Lord <mythtv [at] rtr> wrote:
>>
>>> ..and for anyone looking for a more conventional remote control
>>> that is dead simple to setup in Mythtv (no LIRC!), I recommend
>>> this particular $13 (delivered!) unit to my friends:
>>>
>>> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180727780787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
>>>
>>> Contrary to the advertising, it is NOT a Win-MCE remote control,
>>> but that's a "plus" in my books!  :)
>>>
>>> There is a "driver" for it in stock kernels, though it's pretty poor.
>>>
>>> So I've written my own input (keyboard) driver for it,
>>> and source code is available on request.  Installation is very
>>> very simple:  "make install", no reboot required.
>>> The driver is preconfigured with mythtv mappings for most keys.
>>
>> Most appreciated! I was in dire need of a remote that has more than 20
>> buttons (my current one). Just ordered one.
>
> This remote control continues to work well for us here
> on five separate mythtv installations now.
>
> I've updated the driver to now publish a /proc/sapphire entry
> with information about the last button pressed and how long it
> has been (seconds) since that event.  This info is useful for
> helping to decide whether or not to suspend an inactive front-end.
>
> We've also now verified that this remote control's "Power" button
> does indeed work as a "wake from suspend" button,
> provided one first enables it in /proc/acpi/wakeup.
>
> Latest driver at: http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/

Hi Mark, I get the following when trying to make install on ubuntu 10.04 (LTS)

nick [at] del:~/Downloads/sapphire-1.2$ sudo make install
[sudo] password for nick:
make kmod
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/nick/Downloads/sapphire-1.2'
make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd` modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-33-generic'
CC [M] /home/nick/Downloads/sapphire-1.2/sapphire.o
/home/nick/Downloads/sapphire-1.2/sapphire.c: In function ‘sapphire_probe’:
/home/nick/Downloads/sapphire-1.2/sapphire.c:317: error: implicit
declaration of function ‘hid_err’
make[3]: *** [/home/nick/Downloads/sapphire-1.2/sapphire.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/home/nick/Downloads/sapphire-1.2] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-33-generic'
make[1]: *** [kmod] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/nick/Downloads/sapphire-1.2'
make: *** [sapphire.ko] Error 2


Any ideas why? Do I need to install the kernel source or are the headers enough?
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


barryj321 at gmail

Mar 19, 2012, 3:40 AM

Post #8 of 15 (1910 views)
Permalink
Re: OT: two new remotes [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 7:34 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 2:50 AM, Mark Lord <mythtv [at] rtr> wrote:
> > On 12-01-13 04:22 PM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> >> On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 09:35:30 -0500
> >> Mark Lord <mythtv [at] rtr> wrote:
> >>
> >>> ..and for anyone looking for a more conventional remote control
> >>> that is dead simple to setup in Mythtv (no LIRC!), I recommend
> >>> this particular $13 (delivered!) unit to my friends:
> >>>
> >>>
> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180727780787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
> >>>
> >>> Contrary to the advertising, it is NOT a Win-MCE remote control,
> >>> but that's a "plus" in my books! :)
> >>>
> >>> There is a "driver" for it in stock kernels, though it's pretty poor.
> >>>
> >>> So I've written my own input (keyboard) driver for it,
> >>> and source code is available on request. Installation is very
> >>> very simple: "make install", no reboot required.
> >>> The driver is preconfigured with mythtv mappings for most keys.
> >>
> >> Most appreciated! I was in dire need of a remote that has more than 20
> >> buttons (my current one). Just ordered one.
> >
> > This remote control continues to work well for us here
> > on five separate mythtv installations now.
> >
> > I've updated the driver to now publish a /proc/sapphire entry
> > with information about the last button pressed and how long it
> > has been (seconds) since that event. This info is useful for
> > helping to decide whether or not to suspend an inactive front-end.
> >
> > We've also now verified that this remote control's "Power" button
> > does indeed work as a "wake from suspend" button,
> > provided one first enables it in /proc/acpi/wakeup.
> >
> > Latest driver at: http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/
>
> Hi Mark, I get the following when trying to make install on ubuntu 10.04
> (LTS)
>
> nick [at] del:~/Downloads/sapphire-1.2$ sudo make install
> [sudo] password for nick:
> make kmod
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/nick/Downloads/sapphire-1.2'
> make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd` modules
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-33-generic'
> CC [M] /home/nick/Downloads/sapphire-1.2/sapphire.o
> /home/nick/Downloads/sapphire-1.2/sapphire.c: In function ‘sapphire_probe’:
> /home/nick/Downloads/sapphire-1.2/sapphire.c:317: error: implicit
> declaration of function ‘hid_err’
> make[3]: *** [/home/nick/Downloads/sapphire-1.2/sapphire.o] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [_module_/home/nick/Downloads/sapphire-1.2] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-33-generic'
> make[1]: *** [kmod] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/nick/Downloads/sapphire-1.2'
> make: *** [sapphire.ko] Error 2
>
>
> Any ideas why? Do I need to install the kernel source or are the headers
> enough?
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>


I have this remote but you dont need any driver. LIRC can handle this fine


barryj321 at gmail

Mar 19, 2012, 4:28 AM

Post #9 of 15 (1908 views)
Permalink
Re: OT: two new remotes [In reply to]

>
>
>
> I have this remote but you dont need any driver. LIRC can handle this fine
>

Sorry, just read a bit further that your trying to get it working without
LIRC.


nick.rout at gmail

Mar 20, 2012, 12:41 AM

Post #10 of 15 (1898 views)
Permalink
Re: OT: two new remotes [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:40 PM, barry johnson <barryj321 [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>
>
>
> I have this remote but you dont need any driver.  LIRC can handle this fine
>

I might prefer LIRC so could you let me have details of how you accomplish that?

(ie details for $COMPLETE_IDIOT)
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


barryj321 at gmail

Mar 20, 2012, 3:03 AM

Post #11 of 15 (1895 views)
Permalink
Re: OT: two new remotes [In reply to]

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:40 PM, barry johnson <barryj321 [at] gmail>
> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > I have this remote but you dont need any driver. LIRC can handle this
> fine
> >
>
> I might prefer LIRC so could you let me have details of how you accomplish
> that?
>
> (ie details for $COMPLETE_IDIOT)
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>


Sure, well you need to setup lirc to use multiple devices. In this case
two, one for the mouse and the other for the keyboard. If you cat
/proc/bus/input devices, there both the Topspeed ones I believe.

http://www.lirc.org/html/configure.html

Better still, this is the remote with all the keycodes (which looks like it
works automagically in minimyth):

http://www.minimyth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2029&hilit=giarc

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LIRC Setup a HID device with LIRC -
has some info on multiple devices

B


nick.rout at gmail

Mar 20, 2012, 1:38 PM

Post #12 of 15 (1886 views)
Permalink
Re: OT: two new remotes [In reply to]

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM, barry johnson <barryj321 [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:40 PM, barry johnson <barryj321 [at] gmail>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > I have this remote but you dont need any driver.  LIRC can handle this
>> > fine
>> >
>>
>> I might prefer LIRC so could you let me have details of how you accomplish
>> that?
>>
>> (ie details for $COMPLETE_IDIOT)
>> _______________________________________________
>> mythtv-users mailing list
>> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
>> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
>
>
> Sure, well you need to setup lirc to use multiple devices.  In this case
> two, one for the mouse and the other for the keyboard.  If you cat
> /proc/bus/input devices, there both the Topspeed ones I believe.
>
> http://www.lirc.org/html/configure.html
>
> Better still, this is the remote with all the keycodes (which looks like it
> works automagically in minimyth):
>
> http://www.minimyth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2029&hilit=giarc
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LIRC    Setup a HID device with LIRC -
> has some info on multiple devices

Thanks, I just ordered two of them, they are so cheap and shipping to
NZ did not seem a concern (as it is with most ebay sellers.)
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mythtv at rtr

Mar 20, 2012, 3:55 PM

Post #13 of 15 (1888 views)
Permalink
Re: OT: two new remotes [In reply to]

On 12-03-19 03:34 AM, Nick Rout wrote:
..
> Hi Mark, I get the following when trying to make install on ubuntu 10.04 (LTS)
..
> /home/nick/Downloads/sapphire-1.2/sapphire.c: In function ‘sapphire_probe’:
> /home/nick/Downloads/sapphire-1.2/sapphire.c:317: error: implicit
> declaration of function ‘hid_err’

Oh, I guess the 10.04 kernel predates the introduction if the "hid_err" function.
Just delete that line from the source.

Or grab version 1.3 with that fixed (available in a minute or three):

http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/

Cheers
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mythtv at rtr

Mar 20, 2012, 4:02 PM

Post #14 of 15 (1881 views)
Permalink
Re: OT: two new remotes [In reply to]

On 12-03-20 06:03 AM, barry johnson wrote:
...
> Sure, well you need to setup lirc to use multiple devices. In this case two, one for the mouse and
> the other for the keyboard. If you cat /proc/bus/input devices, there both the Topspeed ones I
> believe.
>
> http://www.lirc.org/html/configure.html
>
> Better still, this is the remote with all the keycodes (which looks like it works automagically in
> minimyth):
>
> http://www.minimyth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2029&hilit=giarc
> <http://www.minimyth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2029&hilit=giarc>
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LIRC Setup a HID device with LIRC - has some info on
> multiple devices


For those who prefer the extra complexity of getting a combo keyboard/mouse
receiver to behave as a single remote control under LIRC,
I've now copied those links above (thanks) to the tail end of my web page for others.

The idea here though, was to have something dead simple to set up,
without LIRC, without having to deal with arcane/undocumented kernel IR-decoding,
and without having to fuss over the split personality (mouse/keyboard) of the receiver.

Cheers
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


nick.rout at gmail

Mar 20, 2012, 5:43 PM

Post #15 of 15 (1874 views)
Permalink
Re: OT: two new remotes [In reply to]

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Mark Lord <mythtv [at] rtr> wrote:
> On 12-03-20 06:03 AM, barry johnson wrote:
> ...
>> Sure, well you need to setup lirc to use multiple devices.  In this case two, one for the mouse and
>> the other for the keyboard.  If you cat /proc/bus/input devices, there both the Topspeed ones I
>> believe.
>>
>> http://www.lirc.org/html/configure.html
>>
>> Better still, this is the remote with all the keycodes (which looks like it works automagically in
>> minimyth):
>>
>> http://www.minimyth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2029&hilit=giarc
>> <http://www.minimyth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2029&hilit=giarc>
>>
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LIRC    Setup a HID device with LIRC - has some info on
>> multiple devices
>
>
> For those who prefer the extra complexity of getting a combo keyboard/mouse
> receiver to behave as a single remote control under LIRC,
> I've now copied those links above (thanks) to the tail end of my web page for others.
>
> The idea here though, was to have something dead simple to set up,
> without LIRC, without having to deal with arcane/undocumented kernel IR-decoding,
> and without having to fuss over the split personality (mouse/keyboard) of the receiver.
>
> Cheers


Cheers to you too, and thanks for 1.3

It will be good to have both options - for those who use the remote
for more than one program (eg xbmc ) lirc will be a good option.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.