Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users
Mythfrontend and Pulseaudio

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam

Mar 14, 2012, 3:53 AM

Mythfrontend and Pulseaudio

Hi.

In an attempt to resolve my issue of very high CPU load from mysqld on my production system with pre 0.25 I am trying a step by step approach.

My production system (combined BE/FE) is on OpenSUSE 11.3 which is quite old and support ended in January.
On my test system (combined BE/FE) I have installed OpenSUSE 12.1 and after some tinkering BE and FE is up and running. At the moment I am using 0.24.1 RPMs from Packman.

In the past I have deactivated Pulseaudio since it did not work in KDE and previous versions of MythTV did not support it, and this has worked very well.
When I do this in OpenSUSE 12.1 I get sound in KDE as earlier but for the frontend it is a little hit and miss.

At the moment I use sound over HDMI via the Nvidia GT430. This has four sound devices, DEV=0,1,2,3.
Some times when scanning for devices in mythfrontend all four are listed, other times the DEV=3 is missing. The only one that works periodically is the DEV=3. I guess KDE (Phonon) is blocking this for use by the frontend.

If I activate Pulseaudio again I get reliably sound in mythfrontend but not in KDE.

If I understand correctly 0.24 and upcoming 0.25 should support Pulseaudio without any downside?

Though not important, does anyone know how to get KDE (4.7) to work with Pulseaudio?

When I am satisfied that this setup work I plan to install pre 0.25 on it to see if I get the same high CPU load or not, and finally upgrade my production system.

Jens