Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M

jk90090 at gmail

Mar 11, 2012, 8:13 PM

Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Zotac-ZBOX-ID80-Plus-Mini-PC-Review/

Looks very interesting, but I see the 520 (not specifically the 520M)
can't handle Advanced 2x in HD.

In case someone has tested this video chip, or in the future the Zbox
ID80, it would be great to reply to this thread with feedback on their
experiences. Thanks.

-JK

nick.rout at gmail

Mar 12, 2012, 12:20 AM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM, jk90090 <jk90090 [at] gmail> wrote:
> http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Zotac-ZBOX-ID80-Plus-Mini-PC-Review/
>
> Looks very interesting, but I see the 520 (not specifically the 520M)
> can't handle Advanced 2x in HD.
>
> In case someone has tested this video chip, or in the future the Zbox
> ID80, it would be great to reply to this thread with feedback on their
> experiences.  Thanks.

No experience (in fact zotac computers don't even seem to be marketed
in NZ) but there is some info on the video chipset here
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-520M.43104.0.html

You run the risk of having started another thread where half the
people say "nvidia saved my life with vdpau, I love it, I hardly need
a decent cpu now I have vdpau" and the other half say "nvidia is only
half the solution, pair it with atom and you get what you pay for, and
woebetide you if you want to do anything other than watch nvidia's
limited range of codecs/frame sizes/whatever. Get a motherboard with a
decent cpu and a slot for an nvidia card".

bah, I am happy with my ion revos, although the ion2 is certainly
better than ion [1], and having played with some side by side full
frame 3d rips (ie 3840x1080) I see the point of the cpu power to back
up stuff vdpau won't do, but it may also be to do with what my 3d tv
will accept :)

jyavenard at gmail

Mar 12, 2012, 12:35 AM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On 12 March 2012 14:13, jk90090 <jk90090 [at] gmail> wrote:
> http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Zotac-ZBOX-ID80-Plus-Mini-PC-Review/
>
> Looks very interesting, but I see the 520 (not specifically the 520M)
> can't handle Advanced 2x in HD.

This has been long discussed...
The 520 is like the 210 or 320 low-end nvidia cards, they don't do
advanced 2X deinterlacing.
If you look at nvidia graph comparing the cards, the 520 is half as
fast as the 430

When looking at nvidia specs, basically you need a card with more than
48 CUDA cores if the old GPU type, and more than 96 if the new fermi
ones
Look at the pattern:
210: 16
220: 48
320: 48 <- fermi
430: 96 <- fermi
520: 48 <- fermi

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Mar 12, 2012, 7:56 AM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 3:20 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM, jk90090 <jk90090 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Zotac-ZBOX-ID80-Plus-Mini-PC-Review/
>>
>> Looks very interesting, but I see the 520 (not specifically the 520M)
>> can't handle Advanced 2x in HD.
>>
>> In case someone has tested this video chip, or in the future the Zbox
>> ID80, it would be great to reply to this thread with feedback on their
>> experiences.  Thanks.
>
> No experience (in fact zotac computers don't even seem to be marketed
> in NZ) but there is some info on the video chipset here
> http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-520M.43104.0.html
>
> You run the risk of having started another thread where half the
> people say "nvidia saved my life with vdpau, I love it, I hardly need
> a decent cpu now I have vdpau" and the other half say "nvidia is only
> half the solution, pair it with atom and you get what you pay for, and
> woebetide you if you want to do anything other than watch nvidia's
> limited range of codecs/frame sizes/whatever. Get a motherboard with a
> decent cpu and a slot for an nvidia card".
>
> bah, I am happy with my ion revos, although the ion2 is certainly
> better than ion [1], and having played with some side by side full
> frame 3d rips (ie 3840x1080) I see the point of the cpu power to back
> up stuff vdpau won't do, but it may also be to do with what my 3d tv
> will accept :)

I have a Gen 1 ION system from Zotac with a Atom 330 and on my 27" tv
in my bedroom with temporal 2x it works great and is plenty fast on
the interface. The fan is a little noisy but I've read it can be
replaced with a quieter one, hasn't bothered me that much yet though.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!

jedi at mishnet

Mar 12, 2012, 8:06 AM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:56:47AM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 3:20 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM, jk90090 <jk90090 [at] gmail> wrote:
> >> http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Zotac-ZBOX-ID80-Plus-Mini-PC-Review/
> >>
> >> Looks very interesting, but I see the 520 (not specifically the 520M)
> >> can't handle Advanced 2x in HD.
> >>
> >> In case someone has tested this video chip, or in the future the Zbox
> >> ID80, it would be great to reply to this thread with feedback on their
> >> experiences.  Thanks.
> >
> > No experience (in fact zotac computers don't even seem to be marketed
> > in NZ) but there is some info on the video chipset here
> > http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-520M.43104.0.html
> >
> > You run the risk of having started another thread where half the
> > people say "nvidia saved my life with vdpau, I love it, I hardly need
> > a decent cpu now I have vdpau" and the other half say "nvidia is only
> > half the solution, pair it with atom and you get what you pay for, and
> > woebetide you if you want to do anything other than watch nvidia's
> > limited range of codecs/frame sizes/whatever. Get a motherboard with a
> > decent cpu and a slot for an nvidia card".

I could certainly see the IONs having trouble with certain sorts of
web based content that are either poorly supported on Linux or have
embedded commercials. Those two issues make the problem effectively moot
for me.

A low profile machine with better nv GPUs in them are interesting
regardless of the CPU. My snappiest frontend machine is one that would
otherwise be discarded if not for it's aftermarket nv430.

> I have a Gen 1 ION system from Zotac with a Atom 330 and on my 27" tv
> in my bedroom with temporal 2x it works great and is plenty fast on
> the interface. The fan is a little noisy but I've read it can be
> replaced with a quieter one, hasn't bothered me that much yet though.

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Mar 12, 2012, 8:12 AM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM, jedi <jedi [at] mishnet> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:56:47AM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:

>> > No experience (in fact zotac computers don't even seem to be marketed
>> > in NZ) but there is some info on the video chipset here
>> > http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-520M.43104.0.html
>> >
>> > You run the risk of having started another thread where half the
>> > people say "nvidia saved my life with vdpau, I love it, I hardly need
>> > a decent cpu now I have vdpau" and the other half say "nvidia is only
>> > half the solution, pair it with atom and you get what you pay for, and
>> > woebetide you if you want to do anything other than watch nvidia's
>> > limited range of codecs/frame sizes/whatever. Get a motherboard with a
>> > decent cpu and a slot for an nvidia card".
>
>    I could certainly see the IONs having trouble with certain sorts of
> web based content that are either poorly supported on Linux or have
> embedded commercials. Those two issues make the problem effectively moot
> for me.
>
>     A low profile machine with better nv GPUs in them are interesting
> regardless of the CPU. My snappiest frontend machine is one that would
> otherwise be discarded if not for it's aftermarket nv430.
>
>> I have a Gen 1 ION system from Zotac with a Atom 330 and on my 27" tv
>> in my bedroom with temporal 2x it works great and is plenty fast on
>> the interface. The fan is a little noisy but I've read it can be
>> replaced with a quieter one, hasn't bothered me that much yet though.

Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,

mythtv at rtr

Mar 12, 2012, 8:24 PM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On 12-03-12 03:35 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 12 March 2012 14:13, jk90090 <jk90090 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Zotac-ZBOX-ID80-Plus-Mini-PC-Review/
>>
>> Looks very interesting, but I see the 520 (not specifically the 520M)
>> can't handle Advanced 2x in HD.
>
> This has been long discussed...
> The 520 is like the 210 or 320 low-end nvidia cards, they don't do
> advanced 2X deinterlacing.

Too big a brush.

The GT218 chip in the predecessors to this latest ZBOX
do handle Advanced/2X on 1920x1080i ATSC content just fine.
As well as everything else I'v thrown at them.

Specifically, the ZBOX HD-ID11U and ZBOX HD-ID41U.
Two great little Mythtv boxes, either as a combined FE/BE, or FE-only system.

This latest ZBOX HD-ID80 system remains to be tested with Mythtv,
but is unlikely to do any worse than its ancestors.

Cheers

ajmccauley at gmail

Mar 12, 2012, 8:50 PM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM, Mark Lord <mythtv [at] rtr> wrote:

> On 12-03-12 03:35 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> > On 12 March 2012 14:13, jk90090 <jk90090 [at] gmail> wrote:
> >> http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Zotac-ZBOX-ID80-Plus-Mini-PC-Review/
> >>
> >> Looks very interesting, but I see the 520 (not specifically the 520M)
> >> can't handle Advanced 2x in HD.
> >
> > This has been long discussed...
> > The 520 is like the 210 or 320 low-end nvidia cards, they don't do
> > advanced 2X deinterlacing.
>
> Too big a brush.
>
> The GT218 chip in the predecessors to this latest ZBOX
> do handle Advanced/2X on 1920x1080i ATSC content just fine.
> As well as everything else I'v thrown at them.
>
> Specifically, the ZBOX HD-ID11U and ZBOX HD-ID41U.
> Two great little Mythtv boxes, either as a combined FE/BE, or FE-only
> system.
>
> This latest ZBOX HD-ID80 system remains to be tested with Mythtv,
> but is unlikely to do any worse than its ancestors.
>
> I also have the ZBOX HD-ID31DVD-PLUS that I picked up from Newegg last
month for 220 USD on a rebate.

Running mythbuntu as a FE, it does Advanced/2X on 1920x1080i ATSC with no
noticeable difference to my I3 gt430 combined FE/BE. The box is running
quite well.

Andrew

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Mar 13, 2012, 7:19 AM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:50 PM, Andrew McCauley <ajmccauley [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM, Mark Lord <mythtv [at] rtr> wrote:

>> > This has been long discussed...
>> > The 520 is like the 210 or 320 low-end nvidia cards, they don't do
>> > advanced 2X deinterlacing.
>>
>> Too big a brush.
>>
>> The GT218 chip in the predecessors to this latest ZBOX
>> do handle Advanced/2X on 1920x1080i ATSC content just fine.
>> As well as everything else I'v thrown at them.
>>
>> Specifically, the ZBOX HD-ID11U and ZBOX HD-ID41U.
>> Two great little Mythtv boxes, either as a combined FE/BE, or FE-only
>> system.
>>
>> This latest ZBOX HD-ID80 system remains to be tested with Mythtv,
>> but is unlikely to do any worse than its ancestors.
>>
> I also have the ZBOX HD-ID31DVD-PLUS that I picked up from Newegg last month
> for 220 USD on a rebate.
>
> Running mythbuntu as a FE, it does Advanced/2X on 1920x1080i ATSC with no
> noticeable difference to my I3 gt430 combined FE/BE.  The box is running
> quite well.
>
> Andrew

Interesting! I'd looked at those two but wasn't sure how they would
work as MythTV frontends, and if they could do Advanced 2x on 1080i.

I'm going to have to buy one now, thanks for the info!!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,

jk90090 at gmail

Mar 13, 2012, 10:06 AM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On 3/12/12 12:35 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 12 March 2012 14:13, jk90090<jk90090 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Zotac-ZBOX-ID80-Plus-Mini-PC-Review/
>>
>> Looks very interesting, but I see the 520 (not specifically the 520M)
>> can't handle Advanced 2x in HD.
> This has been long discussed...
> The 520 is like the 210 or 320 low-end nvidia cards, they don't do
> advanced 2X deinterlacing.
> If you look at nvidia graph comparing the cards, the 520 is half as
> fast as the 430
>
> When looking at nvidia specs, basically you need a card with more than
> 48 CUDA cores if the old GPU type, and more than 96 if the new fermi
> ones
> Look at the pattern:
> 210: 16
> 220: 48
> 320: 48<- fermi
> 430: 96<- fermi
> 520: 48<- fermi

Thanks JY, but I have one wonder about how the 520M compares to the non
'M' variant we're more familiar with. Again, this thread was for future
guinea pigs, er testers, of this equipment to report back to the list
their experience.

-JK

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Mar 13, 2012, 10:22 AM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 1:06 PM, jk90090 <jk90090 [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 3/12/12 12:35 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> On 12 March 2012 14:13, jk90090<jk90090 [at] gmail>  wrote:
>>> http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Zotac-ZBOX-ID80-Plus-Mini-PC-Review/
>>>
>>> Looks very interesting, but I see the 520 (not specifically the 520M)
>>> can't handle Advanced 2x in HD.
>> This has been long discussed...
>> The 520 is like the 210 or 320 low-end nvidia cards, they don't do
>> advanced 2X deinterlacing.
>> If you look at nvidia graph comparing the cards, the 520 is half as
>> fast as the 430
>>
>> When looking at nvidia specs, basically you need a card with more than
>> 48 CUDA cores if the old GPU type, and more than 96 if the new fermi
>> ones
>> Look at the pattern:
>> 210: 16
>> 220: 48
>> 320: 48<- fermi
>> 430: 96<- fermi
>> 520: 48<- fermi
>>
> Thanks JY, but I have one wonder about how the 520M compares to the non
> 'M' variant we're more familiar with.  Again, this thread was for future
> guinea pigs, er testers, of this equipment to report back to the list
> their experience.
>
> -JK

M is their "mobile" line, also used in some space limited desktop
models by some manufacturers. Historically they have been slightly
less powerful than their desktop counterpart. Expect no better than
the 520. So if the 520 will not accomplish what you are looking to do
the 520M won't either.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,

gary.buhrmaster at gmail

Mar 13, 2012, 10:29 AM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 17:06, jk90090 <jk90090 [at] gmail> wrote:
> Thanks JY, but I have one wonder about how the 520M compares to the non
> 'M' variant we're more familiar with.

The "M" (mobile) variant still has only 48 shader cores,
meaning that it will not have enough headroom to perform
Advanced 2x glitch free decoding for all interlaced content
types. Some people do not have high bit-rate 1080i content
to de-interlace. Some people do not see the glitches, some
just accept them as being normal. Some transcode the
files before playback, perhaps changing everything. So,
your experience will vary, but for any reports to be useful
to others one will need to include the content information
one is actually playing back along with the subjective
"works for me" reports.

mythtv at rtr

Mar 13, 2012, 12:14 PM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On 12-03-13 01:22 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> M is their "mobile" line, also used in some space limited desktop
> models by some manufacturers. Historically they have been slightly
> less powerful than their desktop counterpart. Expect no better than
> the 520. So if the 520 will not accomplish what you are looking to do
> the 520M won't either.

A lot of this depends upon clock and memory speeds in the actual product.
Eg. on paper, you might assume the ZBOX HD-ID11 with it's GT218
would perform similarly to a discrete GT210 PCIe card.

But in fact it outperforms the GT210, handling Advanced/2X nicely.
Here, it even outperforms my GT430 fanless card (ASUS).
But other GT430 cards might do better than mine, depending upon
clock and memory speeds.

jyavenard at gmail

Mar 13, 2012, 2:45 PM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

Hi

On Wednesday, 14 March 2012, Mark Lord <mythtv [at] rtr> wrote:

> A lot of this depends upon clock and memory speeds in the actual product.
> Eg. on paper, you might assume the ZBOX HD-ID11 with it's GT218
> would perform similarly to a discrete GT210 PCIe card.

I think you're confusing model number (e.g 520, 430 etc) with GPU model.

The GT220 card uses a GT216 GPU and the GT210 uses a GT218 GPU

So what you have really, is a GT210 on that board.. There's no GT218 card.

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Mar 13, 2012, 3:43 PM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 March 2012, Mark Lord <mythtv [at] rtr> wrote:
>> A lot of this depends upon clock and memory speeds in the actual product.
>> Eg. on paper, you might assume the ZBOX HD-ID11 with it's GT218
>> would perform similarly to a discrete GT210 PCIe card.
>>

> I think you're confusing model number (e.g 520, 430 etc) with GPU model.
>
> The GT220 card uses a GT216 GPU and the GT210 uses a GT218 GPU
>
> So what you have really, is a GT210 on that board.. There's no GT218 card.

Would a bump in clock and memory allow a GT218GPU to do Advanced2x on
ATSC 1080i for all content properly then?...

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,

jyavenard at gmail

Mar 13, 2012, 5:17 PM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On 14 March 2012 09:43, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
> Would a bump in clock and memory allow a GT218GPU to do Advanced2x on
> ATSC 1080i for all content properly then?...

Could be. but I doubt it..

Maybe it wasn't 1080i to start with

mythtv at rtr

Mar 14, 2012, 8:31 AM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On 12-03-13 06:43 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> Would a bump in clock and memory allow a GT218GPU to do Advanced2x on
> ATSC 1080i for all content properly then?...

As I've repeated several times here now, the GT218 GPU
found in the Zotac ZBOX HD-ID11 and HD-ID-41 does indeed
handle 1920x1080i ATSC content with Advanced/2X deinterlacing
without jerks or pauses.

jyavenard at gmail

Mar 14, 2012, 2:53 PM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

Hi

On Thursday, 15 March 2012, Mark Lord <mythtv [at] rtr> wrote:

> As I've repeated several times here now, the GT218 GPU
> found in the Zotac ZBOX HD-ID11 and HD-ID-41 does indeed
> handle 1920x1080i ATSC content with Advanced/2X deinterlacing
> without jerks or pauses.

Id be interested to see the output from vdpautest..

seven at seven

Mar 14, 2012, 7:59 PM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On 13 March 2012 13:50, Andrew McCauley <ajmccauley [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM, Mark Lord <mythtv [at] rtr> wrote:

>> > This has been long discussed...
>> > The 520 is like the 210 or 320 low-end nvidia cards, they don't do
>> > advanced 2X deinterlacing.
>>
>> Too big a brush.
>>
>> The GT218 chip in the predecessors to this latest ZBOX
>> do handle Advanced/2X on 1920x1080i ATSC content just fine.
>> As well as everything else I'v thrown at them.
>>
>> Specifically, the ZBOX HD-ID11U and ZBOX HD-ID41U.
>> Two great little Mythtv boxes, either as a combined FE/BE, or FE-only
>> system.
>>
>> This latest ZBOX HD-ID80 system remains to be tested with Mythtv,
>> but is unlikely to do any worse than its ancestors.
>>
>> I also have the ZBOX HD-ID31DVD-PLUS that I picked up from Newegg last
> month for 220 USD on a rebate.
>
> Running mythbuntu as a FE, it does Advanced/2X on 1920x1080i ATSC with no
> noticeable difference to my I3 gt430 combined FE/BE. The box is running
> quite well.
>
> Andrew
>

> Hi Andrew can advise if the PSU for this is 110V-240V on only straight
110V?

Cheers,

Anthony

ajmccauley at gmail

Mar 14, 2012, 8:36 PM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Anthony Giggins
<seven [at] seven> wrote:
> On 13 March 2012 13:50, Andrew McCauley <ajmccauley [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> Too big a brush.
>>>
>>> The GT218 chip in the predecessors to this latest ZBOX
>>> do handle Advanced/2X on 1920x1080i ATSC content just fine.
>>> As well as everything else I'v thrown at them.
>>>
>>> Specifically, the ZBOX HD-ID11U and ZBOX HD-ID41U.
>>> Two great little Mythtv boxes, either as a combined FE/BE, or FE-only system.
>>>
>>> This latest ZBOX HD-ID80 system remains to be tested with Mythtv,
>>> but is unlikely to do any worse than its ancestors.
>>>
>> I also have the ZBOX HD-ID31DVD-PLUS that I picked up from Newegg last month for 220 USD on a rebate.
>>
>> Running mythbuntu as a FE, it does Advanced/2X on 1920x1080i ATSC with no noticeable difference to my I3 gt430 combined FE/BE.  The box is running quite well.
>>
>> Andrew
>>

> Hi Andrew can advise if the PSU for this is 110V-240V on only straight 110V?

The retail packaging does not specify but the PCU reads 110-240V 50-60hz.

[snip]
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi
>

> On Thursday, 15 March 2012, Mark Lord <mythtv [at] rtr> wrote:
>

>> As I've repeated several times here now, the GT218 GPU
>> found in the Zotac ZBOX HD-ID11 and HD-ID-41 does indeed
>> handle 1920x1080i ATSC content with Advanced/2X deinterlacing
>> without jerks or pauses.
>>

> Id be interested to see the output from vdpautest..

To give a bit of clarification, I am viewing 1080i ATSC content from
OTA broadcast in the US (Dallas, TX).  I have.24-fixes on a clean
Mythbuntu install using the mythtv frontend and the Mythbuntu theme.
I am using a Hauppauge 950Q and 1200 to capture the content.

After figuring out that I have to have the vdpau headers installed to
compile vdpautest (that should have been obvious but took me 30 minute
to troubleshoot)  I was able to run vdpautest and on my ION2 FE (ZBOX
HD-ID31DVD-PLUS mentioned above):
Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525   @ 1.80GHz
NVIDIA GPU ION (GT218) at PCI:3:0:0 (GPU-0)

VDPAU API version : 1
VDPAU implementation : NVIDIA VDPAU Driver Shared Library  280.13  Wed
Jul 27 17:15:20 PDT 2011

SURFACE GET BITS: 193.528 M/s
SURFACE PUT BITS: 161.705 M/s

MPEG DECODING (1920x1080): 68 frames/s
MPEG DECODING (1280x720): 160 frames/s
H264 DECODING (1920x1080): 62 frames/s
H264 DECODING (1280x720): 136 frames/s
VC1 DECODING (1440x1080): 83 frames/s
MPEG4 DECODING (1920x1080): 67 frames/s

MIXER WEAVE (1920x1080): 480 frames/s
MIXER BOB (1920x1080): 672 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL (1920x1080): 190 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL + IVTC (1920x1080): 121 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL + SKIP_CHROMA (1920x1080): 253 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL (1920x1080): 65 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + IVTC (1920x1080): 53 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + SKIP_CHROMA (1920x1080): 72 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL (720x576 video to 1920x1080 display): 230 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + HQSCALING (720x576 video to 1920x1080
display): 120 fields/s

MULTITHREADED MPEG DECODING (1920x1080): 70 frames/s
MULTITHREADED MIXER TEMPORAL (1920x1080): 166 fields/s

I also ran it on my I3/Asus ENGT430 FE/BE:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU         540  @ 3.07GHz
NVIDIA GPU GeForce GT 430 (GF108) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)

VDPAU API version : 1
VDPAU implementation : NVIDIA VDPAU Driver Shared Library  280.13  Wed
Jul 27 17:15:20 PDT 2011

SURFACE GET BITS: 374.492 M/s
SURFACE PUT BITS: 325.248 M/s

MPEG DECODING (1920x1080): 96 frames/s
MPEG DECODING (1280x720): 234 frames/s
H264 DECODING (1920x1080): 61 frames/s
H264 DECODING (1280x720): 135 frames/s
VC1 DECODING (1440x1080): 83 frames/s
MPEG4 DECODING (1920x1080): 67 frames/s

MIXER WEAVE (1920x1080): 233 frames/s
MIXER BOB (1920x1080): 330 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL (1920x1080): 148 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL + IVTC (1920x1080): 124 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL + SKIP_CHROMA (1920x1080): 186 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL (1920x1080): 76 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + IVTC (1920x1080): 67 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + SKIP_CHROMA (1920x1080): 85 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL (720x576 video to 1920x1080 display): 222 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + HQSCALING (720x576 video to 1920x1080
display): 145 fields/s

MULTITHREADED MPEG DECODING (1920x1080): 106 frames/s
MULTITHREADED MIXER TEMPORAL (1920x1080): 138 fields/s

jyavenard at gmail

Mar 14, 2012, 8:40 PM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On 15 March 2012 14:36, Andrew McCauley <ajmccauley [at] gmail> wrote:

> MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL (1920x1080): 76 fields/s
> MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + IVTC (1920x1080): 67 fields/s
> MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + SKIP_CHROMA (1920x1080): 85 fields/s
> MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL (720x576 video to 1920x1080 display): 222 fields/s
> MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + HQSCALING (720x576 video to 1920x1080
> display): 145 fields/s

I wonder if this is more related to more recent nvidia drivers...

Because that's about 10 frames/s better for the GT430 than what I do
here with drivers 276

mythtv at rtr

Mar 15, 2012, 3:21 PM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On 12-03-14 11:40 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 15 March 2012 14:36, Andrew McCauley <ajmccauley [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL (1920x1080): 76 fields/s
>> MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + IVTC (1920x1080): 67 fields/s
>> MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + SKIP_CHROMA (1920x1080): 85 fields/s
>> MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL (720x576 video to 1920x1080 display): 222 fields/s
>> MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + HQSCALING (720x576 video to 1920x1080
>> display): 145 fields/s
>
> I wonder if this is more related to more recent nvidia drivers...
>
> Because that's about 10 frames/s better for the GT430 than what I do
> here with drivers 276

The Zotac ZBOX HD-ID41 I have here (Ion2) outperforms the fanless ASUS GT430 card
that I wasted $70 on recently. The ZBOX plays 1920x1080i at Advanced/2X nice
and smoothly, whereas the GT430 card is jerky like crazy. Drove me nuts!

Here's the qvdpautest data I captured a while ago on the ZBOX:

qvdpautest 0.5
Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D510 @ 1.66GHz
NVIDIA GPU ION (GT218) at PCI:3:0:0 (GPU-0)

VDPAU API version : 1
VDPAU implementation : NVIDIA VDPAU Driver Shared Library 260.19.21 Thu Nov 4 21:46:12 PDT 2010

SURFACE GET BITS: 193.065 M/s
SURFACE PUT BITS: 161.835 M/s

MPEG DECODING (1920x1080): 72 frames/s
MPEG DECODING (1280x720): 141 frames/s
H264 DECODING (1920x1080): 66 frames/s
H264 DECODING (1280x720): 122 frames/s
VC1 DECODING (1440x1080): 83 frames/s
MPEG4 DECODING (1920x1080): 71 frames/s

MIXER WEAVE (1920x1080): 484 frames/s
MIXER BOB (1920x1080): 675 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL (1920x1080): 191 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL + IVTC (1920x1080): 122 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL + SKIP_CHROMA (1920x1080): 255 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL (1920x1080): 65 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + IVTC (1920x1080): 53 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + SKIP_CHROMA (1920x1080): 72 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL (720x576 video to 1920x1080 display): 230 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + HQSCALING (720x576 video to 1920x1080 display): 121 fields/s

MULTITHREADED MPEG DECODING (1920x1080): 70 frames/s
MULTITHREADED MIXER TEMPORAL (1920x1080): 163 fields/s

mythtv at rtr

Mar 15, 2012, 3:23 PM

Re: Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M [In reply to]

On 12-03-15 06:21 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
..
> Here's the qvdpautest data I captured a while ago on the ZBOX:

Correction: these results were from my older (slower Atom) HD-ID11 box,
not the HD-ID41.