Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users
Help Debugging Lirc: Silent on F16

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

newbury at mandamus

Mar 9, 2012, 12:26 PM

Help Debugging Lirc: Silent on F16

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions in debugging my lirc setup. The receiver is
an imon-pad and it worked nicely with the imon.ko module, the devinput
driver, its /dev/input/by-id address and /var/run/lirc/lircd socket.

That was on Fedora 14. I upgraded to Fedora 16. All the same pieces. I
recently opened the box to install a new network card, but that was
before the upgrade. The upgrade involved re-formatting the '/',
/usr/local. and /var partitions (home was retained: its a standalone
mythbox, so home is mythtv and mysql folders only: uid and guid were
updated).

Now lirc seems to have the correct pieces but does not respond. irw
gives NOTHING.

dmesg reports the same messages as previously.
There is no haldaemon on F16 so I should not need an
/etc/had/fdi/policy....fdi file to stop hal from grabbing control of the
hardware. But I imported the old file anyway. (lshal is no longer even
available in F16).

The permissions on all of the devices and sockets have been relaxed. I
have:
echo none > /syc/class/rc/rc0/protocols
echo +lirc > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
in rc.local.

Now systemctl seems to be (partial) problem. systemctl starts the lirc
service and reports [OK]. But systemctl status lirc.service and service
status lirc, both give the same report on status TWICE.

And 'service lirc stop' does not actually stop lirc, nor remove the pid
file. Adding killall lircd and an rm -f /var/run/lirc/lircd to the
/etc/rc.d/initd/.d/lirc file apparently does nothing, which seems to
point to systemctl not acting as it should. But that is a sideline question.

Using:
/usr/sbin/lircd --driver=devinput
--device=/dev/input/by-id/usb-not-at-the-box-atm-00 -r -n

which is the expanded service file call, plus the -nodaeon for
debugging, creates the socket and a process and no errors.
then irw and NOTHING...

And after far too many attempts to fogure (!) this out, I am stumped. I
have no idea how to debug what is/isnt happening here.

This is especially irritating as I spent a fair bit of time getting lirc
working along about Fedora 8 and it has been a no-problem item since.

Further piece to the puzzle/useful disinformation?? The F14 box was on
lirc 0.8.7 iirc and the new install is 0.9.0. Fedora 16 with KDE.

Geoff