Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Help Debugging Lirc: Silent on F16

newbury at mandamus

Mar 9, 2012, 12:26 PM

Help Debugging Lirc: Silent on F16

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions in debugging my lirc setup. The receiver is
an imon-pad and it worked nicely with the imon.ko module, the devinput
driver, its /dev/input/by-id address and /var/run/lirc/lircd socket.

That was on Fedora 14. I upgraded to Fedora 16. All the same pieces. I
recently opened the box to install a new network card, but that was
before the upgrade. The upgrade involved re-formatting the '/',
/usr/local. and /var partitions (home was retained: its a standalone
mythbox, so home is mythtv and mysql folders only: uid and guid were
updated).

Now lirc seems to have the correct pieces but does not respond. irw
gives NOTHING.

dmesg reports the same messages as previously.
There is no haldaemon on F16 so I should not need an
/etc/had/fdi/policy....fdi file to stop hal from grabbing control of the
hardware. But I imported the old file anyway. (lshal is no longer even
available in F16).

The permissions on all of the devices and sockets have been relaxed. I
have:
echo none > /syc/class/rc/rc0/protocols
echo +lirc > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
in rc.local.

Now systemctl seems to be (partial) problem. systemctl starts the lirc
service and reports [OK]. But systemctl status lirc.service and service
status lirc, both give the same report on status TWICE.

And 'service lirc stop' does not actually stop lirc, nor remove the pid
file. Adding killall lircd and an rm -f /var/run/lirc/lircd to the
/etc/rc.d/initd/.d/lirc file apparently does nothing, which seems to
point to systemctl not acting as it should. But that is a sideline question.

Using:
/usr/sbin/lircd --driver=devinput
--device=/dev/input/by-id/usb-not-at-the-box-atm-00 -r -n

which is the expanded service file call, plus the -nodaeon for
debugging, creates the socket and a process and no errors.
then irw and NOTHING...

And after far too many attempts to fogure (!) this out, I am stumped. I
have no idea how to debug what is/isnt happening here.

This is especially irritating as I spent a fair bit of time getting lirc
working along about Fedora 8 and it has been a no-problem item since.

Further piece to the puzzle/useful disinformation?? The F14 box was on
lirc 0.8.7 iirc and the new install is 0.9.0. Fedora 16 with KDE.

Geoff

gary.buhrmaster at gmail

Mar 9, 2012, 12:44 PM

Re: Help Debugging Lirc: Silent on F16 [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 20:26, R. G. Newbury <newbury [at] mandamus> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for suggestions in debugging my lirc setup. The receiver is
> an imon-pad and it worked nicely with the imon.ko module, the devinput
> driver, its /dev/input/by-id address and /var/run/lirc/lircd socket.
>
> That was on Fedora 14. I upgraded to Fedora 16.

The imon.ko driver has some known issues with some
of the various FC16 kernel variants. As discussed in
this reference:
http://old.nabble.com/Imon.ko-and-kernel-3.2-td33142617.html
You might try to revert the specified patch and rebuild the
various components.

newbury at mandamus

Mar 9, 2012, 1:28 PM

Re: Help Debugging Lirc: Silent on F16 [In reply to]

On 03/09/2012 03:44 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 20:26, R. G. Newbury<newbury [at] mandamus> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking for suggestions in debugging my lirc setup. The receiver is
>> an imon-pad and it worked nicely with the imon.ko module, the devinput
>> driver, its /dev/input/by-id address and /var/run/lirc/lircd socket.
>>
>> That was on Fedora 14. I upgraded to Fedora 16.
>
> The imon.ko driver has some known issues with some
> of the various FC16 kernel variants. As discussed in
> this reference:
> http://old.nabble.com/Imon.ko-and-kernel-3.2-td33142617.html
> You might try to revert the specified patch and rebuild the
> various components.

Thanks for that. iirc the F16 install is a 3.1 kernel but the upgrade is
to 3.2. I upgraded as part of the install. My imon device is a 15c2:ffdc
unit without the knob. (One of a number of not-quite-the-same imon units
hiding under the same device id, which could be part of the problem.)

As a quick-start, I'll reboot into the 3.1 kernel before patching and
compiling (Aaaah grey cells don't fail me now! It's been 2 years since I
rebuilt a module and it was the imon module then too!)

Geoff

--
R. Geoffrey Newbury

gary.buhrmaster at gmail

Mar 9, 2012, 2:00 PM

Re: Help Debugging Lirc: Silent on F16 [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 21:28, R. G. Newbury <newbury [at] mandamus> wrote:
> (Aaaah grey cells don't fail me now! It's been 2 years since I
> rebuilt a module and it was the imon module then too!)

My vague recollection was that Jarod had a number of
"challenges" with the supporting the various imon
variations in the driver.

I also believe that the latest revision for the imon
stuff was available just a few weeks ago (which
probably means it has not yet managed to get
pulled up into mainline and into FC16). But if
you are going to build your own, go for the latest.

newbury at mandamus

Mar 9, 2012, 4:37 PM

Re: Help Debugging Lirc: Silent on F16 [In reply to]

On 03/09/2012 05:00 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 21:28, R. G. Newbury<newbury [at] mandamus> wrote:
>> (Aaaah grey cells don't fail me now! It's been 2 years since I
>> rebuilt a module and it was the imon module then too!)
>
> My vague recollection was that Jarod had a number of
> "challenges" with the supporting the various imon
> variations in the driver.

There about five or six different physical Imon units which give a
'ffdc' for the model. And I was assisting Jarod in testing. Which was
why I was compiling the module. That was almost exactly 2 years ago.

Now to see if I can pass the snap quiz which today has thrown at me!

> I also believe that the latest revision for the imon
> stuff was available just a few weeks ago (which
> probably means it has not yet managed to get
> pulled up into mainline and into FC16). But if
> you are going to build your own, go for the latest.

Yes. I will do a git close (or svn co as required) and go for the latest
when I build.
In the meantime, the WAF has been declining for a week, while the remote
does not work. Thankfully the keyboard is a bluetooth remote!

Geoff

--
R. Geoffrey Newbury